The OTech Track Attack Challenge

OTech Track Attack Challenge

(Sponsored by OTech Vehicle Company)

In the pursuit of new racing technology, OTech has reached out to all the inhabitants of Kerbin. Your challenge? Design and build a racing vehicle capable of wiping out the competition. All cars that qualify will be permitted to come to the OTech Design Facility and compete for fame, glory, and 1,000,000 funds (Taxes non-withstanding) for the winning designer on the OTech Test Track. Vehicles will be tested by experienced OTech Test Drivers, so all you have to do is submit the craft. Sound easy? Good. Let's move over to the classes, and subclasses of the event.

Jet Class (Subclasses: Full-size, Light, Offroad): The Jet class is one of immense speed and precision. One wrong move can be the difference between victory and a car totaled in a billion bits on the ground. In the Jet class, you must have at least 1 Juno engine, with 50 units of fuel per engine. You can have more units per engine, in case you want this thing to hit longer distances. You must have at least 4 wheels*1. Also, you have to have a minimum of 100 EC, and 1 brake light that is hooked up to the Brake action group. The light must be RED. Also linked to the Brake action group must be a boost flap system. This is to prevent the engine propelling the vehicle under braking. How effective is braking going to be if the engine's still moving the wheels at 50 m/s into a hairpin?

Electric Class (Subclasses: Full-size, Light, Offroad): The Electric class is slower, but still requires precision and talent to master. The cars must be 100% electric. If it has a jet engine to provide power, it will be moved over to the Jet class. In the Electric class, you must have at least 4 wheels*1, with a minimum of 100 EC per wheel. The vehicle must have at least 2 headlights, and 1 RED brake light (Again, connected to the Brake action group).

Kart Class (No Subclasses): In the Kart class, speed, maneuverability, and endurance are put to the test in cars smaller than most people. (Okay, exaggeration, I know.) The karts must be all-electric, and have at least 400 Units of EC. ONLY 4 wheels. Not 3, not 6; 4. There can be only 1 driver. Also, at least 1 part must create NEGATIVE lift (Otherwise known as Downforce). You can put a cockpit on it anc control from there, but there is a size regulation. The maximum dimensions are 3.5m x 3.5m x 3.5m (LxWxH). If vehicles exceed these dimensions, they will be placed in the Electric class.

*- 3 wheeled vehicles are allowed, but only in the Light sub-class.

1- Must be ELECTRIC rover wheels. Landing gear is strictly off-limits.

On to the Subclasses!!!

Full-size: The sub-class with potentially the largest cars, the Full-size is meant for vehicles that exceed the size limits of the Light class. Minimum Dimensions: 7.6m x 7.6m x 7.6m (LxWxH). Electric or Jet allowed. 4 Wheels Minimum1. At least 1 driver is allowed, but you can have seats for passengers. You can use a cockpit for this sub-class.

Light: The sub-class between Kart and Full-size, the Light category is meant for those possibly road-going cars that double as a racer by night. (Minivan by day, Supercar by night.) Due to it's being in between 2 classes, it has both a minimum and a maximum dimension rule. Min. 3.6m x 3.6m x 3.6m (LxWxH). Maximum: 7.5m x 7.5m x 7.5m Electric of Jet allowed. 3 Wheels Minimum1. Must have at least 1 driver, but it can have seats for passengers as well. Cockpit is allowed. 10 Wheels maximum1.

Off-Road: Meant for those who really want to get muddy, the Off-Road category is meant to test speed and suspension around a grueling mix of tarmac and dirt. No size limitations above the kart class (Again, 3.5x3.5x3.5), so as long as you pass that, you're good. Electric or Jet. At least 1 driver, but you can have 1 extra seat for either a buddy or a co-pilot. 2 Headlights minimum, and 1 red brake light (Connected to Brake). YOU CAN ONLY USE THE M1 ROVER WHEEL. This is to help suspension. 6 Wheels max.

Now, I'm going to be hosting this in 1.2.2, although I may go to 1.3. Try to keep your craft as stock as possible. Mods like Tweakscale are okay, but anything that adds like OP downforce or engine power is a no-go. You also might want to test your car out on the courses first just to see how your car handles. After all, I'm only gonna give it 3 laps of practice, and then it's off for the 2 lap sprint. I'll make sure to post pics of the courses later, but right now I am dog-tired and need a rest. Also, make sure to post the car to KerbalX. None of that Dropbox stuff.

I'll not be around to moniter anything until Tuesday (I get back from vacation late Monday), but I promise I'll check it out as soon as I get back.

Good luck as always!!!

Spoiler

Courses (Blame LunaPic for the lines that make it look like this was made by a drunk monkey)

ZSWanBr.gif

Kart

8gTNp7Q.gif

Light

tpHEx0c.gif

Rally

Spoiler

Previous Winners

August 2017

Leaderboard

Kart

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

Jet

Full-size

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

Light

1. 77l- Indycar 2017 by @Azimech. Total Time: 04:43.89. Fastest Lap: 01:28.76

2. 77l- Porsche 917K 1970 V1.1 by @Azimech. Total Time: 04:53.09. Fastest Lap: 01:34.77

3. 77l- LMP1 by @Azimech. Total Time: 05:16.28. Fastest Lap: 01:42.47

4. 77l- Lowell Can-Am 1960 by @Azimech. Total Time: 05:55.57. Fastest Lap: 01:57.48

5. 77l- Lowell Amsterdam GT by @Azimech. Total Time: 06:03.63. Fastest Lap: 01:56.83

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

- 77l- Lambo Mashup v1.0 by @Azimech. Total Time: 07:28.22. Fastest Lap: 02:27.22

-

-

-

-

Off-Road

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

Electric

Full-size

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

Light

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

Off-Road

Honorable Mentions

Spoiler

NOTE: If enough people want, I could set up an air-race category as well. Let me know!

Edited by DarkOwl57
Leaderboard Updates; Removed separate course for the Full-size

I am in!

I was thinking of using my mono, but it doesn't qualify for any of the classes. It's kart sized, but has jets. And rockets. A jet kart class could be cool...

Edited by qzgy
Ahh, can't read. Hope to see track pics soon.

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

I am in!

I was thinking of using my mono, but it doesn't qualify for any of the classes. It's kart sized, but has jets. And rockets. A jet kart class could be cool...

I'd recommend just taking the jets and rockets off.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Also, mind posting a pic of the track?

I'll get my editing software up

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

I'd recommend just taking the jets and rockets off.

That would work..

May just make a dedicated racer though. haven't decided

I have to say, 5x5x5 m is really big. Here is an image in comparison to my best racer, which isn't really that small.

aDO3JJE.png

Maybe reduce the size limits?

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

I have to say, 5x5x5 m is really big. Here is an image in comparison to my best racer, which isn't really that small.

I would agree with this

I'll give this ago, but I'm not sure I'm very good at making competitive cars. 

I don't know if my current car counts, as it doesn't have a boost flap. Would it be ok if I wired the air intakes to the brakes action group, so when you braked it would cut close them and cut power to the engines?

Im also thinking about building a tiny kart for this, full on stereotype style. I also have an idea how to get around the fact there are no wheels the right size for it...

On 26/07/2017 at 11:09 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

NOTE: If enough people want, I could set up an air-race category as well. Let me know!

YES YES YES YES

i´l enter later today/ tomorow

i wote yes for air race 

+ the 5*5*5 min could be like this: at least one of the sizes must be over 5 meters so we don´t have to end up with abombinations like qzgy created (sorry qzgy, no offence) and instead something that is at least somewhat reasonably shaped

52 minutes ago, tsgaerospace said:

abombinations like qzgy created (sorry qzgy, no offence) and instead something that is at least somewhat reasonably shaped

wut? It is bigger than 5m length. Also, may I direct you to this?

2013+Lamborghini+Egoista+Wallpaper+01.jp

Actual thing, and inspiration for mine. If I'm not the fastest, than at least I'll look good doing so.

Edited by qzgy

1 hour ago, tsgaerospace said:

first: i ment the 4 meter high i beam structure and the wide wide chassi

second: i know that car, i´m pretty experienced in the motorism world

oh, that. That was just a dimension demonstration.

On July 26, 2017 at 6:01 PM, qzgy said:

aDO3JJE.png

I'll change it when I get back

On July 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM, 53miner53 said:

I have some cars for this:

SuperCar 4.1 for Full size Jet class

SuperCar 8 for Kart class

more coming soon!

Great! I'll test them soon 

20 hours ago, qzgy said:

I made a thing for the light jet category.

https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Kamborghini-Tifone

See above 

12 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I don't know if my current car counts, as it doesn't have a boost flap. Would it be ok if I wired the air intakes to the brakes action group, so when you braked it would cut close them and cut power to the engines?

Im also thinking about building a tiny kart for this, full on stereotype style. I also have an idea how to get around the fact there are no wheels the right size for it...

I'm okay with that, but I think the boost flap would be beneficial so it doesn't make the engine respool when it stops braking. Also, remember tweakscale is allowed 

7 hours ago, tsgaerospace said:

wait, does that go offroad for a bit between the RnD and Astronaut Complex?!

No... It goes around the tiny grass triangle thingy for the hairpin 

Thanks all for commenting on this! I've decided that in order for this to continue, the winner will be chosen monthly. Good luck, and I'll see y'all later 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

How's the roster going?

Ah god sorry for not posting.
I have the roster made. However, what I'm lacking is time. I've got a gestapo agent for a mom, who says that if I use the computer after 7pm, it "Keeps me from sleeping" or something baseless and stupid like that. THEN, school started last Thursday, which means Football. I'm ending school at 4, only to stay in football to around 6:30-45. Then, we go home, and it's 7 before I can even get on. Unfortunately, that means I have literally 2 days to get my story, this, and my life all sorted out. AND NOT EVEN 2! Because my mom signed me up for this stupid tutoring thing (Which I don't need in the slightest), which is on Saturday, in the town 45 minutes away. So that takes up basically all of Saturday morning, and then most of the afternoon, so I only have 2 hours to do everything I need to do.

Rant. Over.

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Ah god sorry for not posting.
I have the roster made. However, what I'm lacking is time. I've got a gestapo agent for a mom, who says that if I use the computer after 7pm, it "Keeps me from sleeping" or something baseless and stupid like that. THEN, school started last Thursday, which means Football. I'm ending school at 4, only to stay in football to around 6:30-45. Then, we go home, and it's 7 before I can even get on. Unfortunately, that means I have literally 2 days to get my story, this, and my life all sorted out. AND NOT EVEN 2! Because my mom signed me up for this stupid tutoring thing (Which I don't need in the slightest), which is on Saturday, in the town 45 minutes away. So that takes up basically all of Saturday morning, and then most of the afternoon, so I only have 2 hours to do everything I need to do.

Rant. Over.

That's very frustrating:huh:. Take all the time you need.

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Rant Snipped

Dude. Relax. Sort out your life before any obligations you have made here. This can wait, life cannot.

Also your mom does have a point. Blue light, as emmited by a computer, does tend to keep you awake. But 7 is wayyy too early to stop with your schedule. 8 or even 9 is maybe more reasonable

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.