The OTech Track Attack Challenge

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Oh.. My.. God.. That's beautiful!!! Can't wait to race it :D

Thank you! Hope it races well, I've tried my best. It might oscillate a little from the friction control tuning.

3 hours ago, goduranus said:

@DarkOwl57 why not let us post screenshots and clock the track time ourselves? You seem quite busy, this'd save you a lot of time.

Well, you can time test your own cars, but that would take away from a bit of the whole unique factor. How many other challenges have a single person drive the vehicles instead of letting everyone try it? While yes, it would probably save me time, I'd really like to test out all these cars myself, just because 1. It would not be 100% biased (Someone could edit the time to their advantage), and 2. Y'all's cars used by everyone; including me. They're amazing! I'd hate to miss out on em :wink:

Thanks for the idea though!

55 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Beautiful car man!

Camber was a good idea of mine, wasn't it? ;-)

I don't remember taking the idea of camber..... I just did that to fit....

I did draw some inspiration from your Indycar, but basically tried to make it smaller. And added 2 more junos. It did however end up 2 tons heavier.

Also, thank you!

Edited by qzgy

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

also.. That's got M1's.. Wanna enter it in the Rally class? XD

Sure, why not?

I do have a feeling that certain parts will explode. Like the front wing.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Sure, why not?

I do have a feeling that certain parts will explode. Like the front wing.

You could raise it up specifically for the rally class :wink: Or I could just be the worlds biggest wuss through the corners and preserve it

12 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

You could raise it up specifically for the rally class :wink: Or I could just be the worlds biggest wuss through the corners and preserve it

Its not the corners, it does those very well. Its the bumps.

Maybe just try it and see what happens?

Testing with a raised body can lead to spontaneous destruction.

Maybe try this for rallying?

https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Lankia-Rally-Special

Also, mind if I suggest something Try installing better timewarp and using the slowmo on that mod. Might help you from being overwhelmed at speed. Or you could use brakes. Those do exist...

Edited by qzgy

20 hours ago, qzgy said:

Its not the corners, it does those very well. Its the bumps.

Maybe just try it and see what happens?

Testing with a raised body can lead to spontaneous destruction.

Maybe try this for rallying?

https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Lankia-Rally-Special

Also, mind if I suggest something Try installing better timewarp and using the slowmo on that mod. Might help you from being overwhelmed at speed. Or you could use brakes. Those do exist...

Personally I would increase the ride height. It seems very low on the ground.

Good/Bad news everyone!

Good: I'm home for the day, so I can drive!

Bad: The reason I'm home.. See, I take allergy shots. And so today, before school, I go to the doctors. Weeeeeel..... I'm on the way out of the office, and I start itching. No big deal; I was playing football the night before and there were mosquitoes, so that's probably it. Then my chest starts tightening up. Oh well; probably allergies. So I tell mom. She has the usual freakout, and I ignore it, heading into my Pages doc for some WWK action. Well, we get to school (It's like 20 minutes away from the doctors) And lo and behold, I've got whelps all over my arm and neck. So we head back to the doctors. Turns out, I had an allergic reaction, and I can't head back to school. Also, they shot me up with adrenaline (Go epipen!) and now my entire body feels like either running through a brick wall or passing out. *Le sigh*

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Personally I would increase the ride height. It seems very low on the ground.

Increasing the ride height led to certain control issues. One - it starts to roll through a corner at 30+ m/s. 2 - When mid air, it doesn't track nice and straight.

Does in theory work though.

28 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Increasing the ride height led to certain control issues. One - it starts to roll through a corner at 30+ m/s. 2 - When mid air, it doesn't track nice and straight.

Does in theory work though.

Yeah there's always a tradeoff. I lower grip until it behaves right. I distinctly remember the report from a rallye when one of the drivers was complaining of having too much grip. Since rallye driving is a lot about being able to drift around tight corners but being able to cope with jumps, potholes and bumps as well, my rallye cars have been tuned and behave accordingly. But it's all about personal preference.

11 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Good/Bad news everyone!

Bad: The reason I'm home.. See, I take allergy shots. And so today, before school, I go to the doctors. Weeeeeel..... I'm on the way out of the office, and I start itching. No big deal; I was playing football the night before and there were mosquitoes, so that's probably it. Then my chest starts tightening up. Oh well; probably allergies. So I tell mom. She has the usual freakout, and I ignore it, heading into my Pages doc for some WWK action. Well, we get to school (It's like 20 minutes away from the doctors) And lo and behold, I've got whelps all over my arm and neck. So we head back to the doctors. Turns out, I had an allergic reaction, and I can't head back to school. Also, they shot me up with adrenaline (Go epipen!) and now my entire body feels like either running through a brick wall or passing out. *Le sigh*

You have to take an allergy scratch test to determine what you are allergic to. I assume some sort of food you ate.

14 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Yay!

14 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Not so yay. Take it easy, and recover soon. More emphasis on the take it easy.

11 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

You have to take an allergy scratch test to determine what you are allergic to. I assume some sort of food you ate.

I'm allergic to grass and weed pollen. I think the reaction was caused by either a) Getting too much of a shot (They give you small doses of what you're allergic to in order to boost your immune system), or b) the fact I had played football on a grass field the night before. Either way, everyone started freaking out, and home I went.

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

Yay!

YayYay!

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

Not so yay. Take it easy, and recover soon. More emphasis on the take it easy.

The doctor said to take it easy, but I had adrenaline man! I went to school for football pictures, and there were these stands just begging to be ran on. Seriously; I just heard them calling to me! So yeah, I ran a couple.... hundred.... It felt good to do something

Next car up is @Azimech's 77l- Porsche 917K 1970 V1.1

Vehicle Stats

Size

Height: 1.7m

Width: 2.9m

Length: 5.9m

Parts: 97

Mass: 6.238t (13,752.436 lbs)

---

Class: Jet

Sub-class: Light

---

Test Drive Remarks

Test Driver: Valentina Kerman (3-time KSCRC Champion, 4-time KRC Champion, 2016 CKI Team Winner)

Pre-Practice

Valentina Kerman (Driver): "Nice car."

Benjamin Kerman (Engineer): "Yeah. From the 70's, the 917K is a die-hard racer. Should be fun to drive."

Post-Run

VK: "That's fun! The rears slipped out in Furioso 1, and the second Hairpin though. I think it needs some minor tweaks to the rear end; probably spoiler and FC."

Performance Report

Date: 8/26/2017

Car: Porsche 917K 1970 V1.1

Designer/Manufacturer: 77l Industries

Track Notes

- In the stock setup, the cars' rear end has wicked oversteer in both low and high-speed corners, while medium speed turns seemed to be unaffected.
- The launch from the car is amazing. Same process as the Indy; Spool up, punch EC, release the brake, and hold on for dear life.
- The sleek design allows it to just barely kiss the lips of the coveted 60m/s. It got up to an astonishing 58.9 through Furioso 2, but just missed out on 60.
- It's really easy to place the car when and where you want it to go. If you can get everything perfect and repetitive, the car feels like it's on rails. 

Vehicle test complete!

Time

Lap 1: 01:41.70

Lap 2: 01:34.77

Lap 3: 01:36.61

Total Time: 04:53.09

Fastest Lap: 01:34.77 (Lap 2)

Performance Notes

During the test, the car handled perfectly. However, that didn't really show in the time chart, which was really all over the place.  

- Top Speed: ~56.8 m/s 

- Max G's: ~4.1G's

- After raising Friction Control on the outside rear wheels and spoiler settings at the rear, the fronts seemed to come alive through the high-speed corners.

- Overall, the car's really stable, and fast. It's got speed, power, and it looks great doing it. Superb job.

Congrats to @Azimech for making another incredible car! Next up will be @Azimech's 77l- Lowell Can-Am racer 1969 1.0

1 hour ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Just wondering why @Azimech gets all the attention.

From what I understand, @DarkOwl57 says he's going to do most of Azimech's stuff before moving on to someone else's before moving on to the forum stuff.

Personally, it would be nice to have a couple forum craft in between Azimech's stuff, but I don't run the thread.

11 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Just wondering why @Azimech gets all the attention.

10 hours ago, GDJ said:

Oh don't worry. I'll have something whipped up in a day or so.

9 hours ago, qzgy said:

From what I understand, @DarkOwl57 says he's going to do most of Azimech's stuff before moving on to someone else's before moving on to the forum stuff.

Personally, it would be nice to have a couple forum craft in between Azimech's stuff, but I don't run the thread.

1. Azi's doing me a favor.

2. 90% of my stuff that I've downloaded is 77l stuff

3. I'm going in a somewhat alphabetic order, so since 77l- [insert car name here] is always first, I'll go there by default. Don't worry though! I have tested y'alls cars out and they are absolute demons on the test track. Stay tuned :wink:

Next car up is @Azimech's 77l- Lowell Can-Am Racer 1969

Vehicle Stats

Size

Height: 1.8m

Width: 2.9m

Length: 5.4m

Parts: 110

Mass: 7.022t (15,480.86 lbs)

---

Class: Jet

Sub-class: Light

---

Performance Report

Date: 8/27/2017

Car: Lowell Can-Am Racer 1969

Designer/Manufacturer: 77l Industries

It had to happen eventually. The first negative review of a 77l on this challenge. To be honest, I'm kind of saddened it had to be this one. Or course, as I said earlier, it had to happen. Every car designer has it's ugly duckling (The 2007 Maribor), it's diamond in the rough (The Amsterdam GT), and of course, it's shimmering jewel (In this spot there's a ton, but you could put either the Lambo or the Indycar in this slot). But honestly, I expected more out of this car. Yes, it's old (vintage), and Yes, it's demon fast in the corners (As every racer should), and Yes, it's still a 77l. But.. Something's missing. Maybe it's the grip. During practice, I flipped it twice, did 2 360º spins, and had an innumerable amount of half-spins, understeer-into-the-wall moments, and control losses. And that's just in the hairpins. Maybe we've gotten used to the fancy, modern-day tech of the current cars like traction/friction control, many pounds of downforce, and an easy-to-drive demeanor that seems to take place in every car. Or, dare I say it, maybe the Can-Am is just.. Not that good. 

Track Notes

- The car's the definition of a boat. In the high speed corners, the rears cancel all the grip from the front, making the brakes have to slow the car down to a humiliating 39m/s heading into Furioso 1.
- Even with many changes to the friction settings, rear wing, and spoilers, the rears snap faster than an angry whip heading out of almost every corner.
- If the rears can get grip, the fronts sacrifice everything, where the car steers straight like a boat into the walls. Many thousands of dollars have been lost in quarter panel reconstruction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.