Probe to Jool

hi guys, this is my first post

i make this cause i'm making a probe to go onwards jool and a lander for laythe

but i don't found a way to get this to LKO

the probe + the lander + the interplanetary and jool inserction stage has a wheight of 60 tons, that i can't find how to get to LKO in ksp 0.23.0

if anyone can help me i will thank you.

also i need a name for the probe and the lander

sorry for my bad english also

Edited by Spaceman17

Hmm... the kerbal way to go about this is MOAR BOOSTERS, aka making a larger launcher. If I remember correctly, 0.23.0 was before the aerodynamics was changed, so you can make you rocket as wide as you want. 

The more elegant way to go about this is to send up each piece one at a time and dock them in LKO

Out of curiosity, why are you using 0.23.0? 

Welcome to the forums Spaceman. :)

I'm running 0.23.5, and yes, that's very much before the aerodynamics adjustment (that was 0.90 I think?) so Kerbin's atmosphere is still very draggy. Even so, I usually start my pitch over between 5-10 km, and my rockets are usually horizontal somewhere between 35 and 40 km. 

What exactly is going wrong? Is the rocket catching up to its apoapsis and falling back into the atmosphere? Are you losing control of the rocket at some point? Are you getting out of the atmosphere but are just running out of fuel?

I've launched a few fairly large payloads (100 ton range I think) and one thing that's very helpful is on orbit refueling. You say your Jool ship is roughly 60 tons. . .how much of that is propellant? What happens if you launch it with the fuel tanks empty and then fuel it up once it's in orbit? Alternatively, can you figure a way to let the rocket use the propellant in the probe ship's tanks on the way up, and then refuel it after you've reached orbit?

If you post a picture of your ship, someone might be able to make a launcher for you. 

And in hopes that some craft sharing will take place, this thread has been moved to the craft sharing subforum. 

One could approach your problem from the other side : why does your Jool probe weights so much ? Maybe you can set priorities for what you want to send there and remove some dead weight. Or you could split your big probe between several smaller probes to be launched separately. Jool's SoI is quite big and forgiving if you send some of your probes a little before or after a transfer window (because you can't fire them all at the same time).

Edited by kermand

13 hours ago, Ten Key said:

Welcome to the forums Spaceman. :)

I'm running 0.23.5, and yes, that's very much before the aerodynamics adjustment (that was 0.90 I think?) so Kerbin's atmosphere is still very draggy. Even so, I usually start my pitch over between 5-10 km, and my rockets are usually horizontal somewhere between 35 and 40 km. 

What exactly is going wrong? Is the rocket catching up to its apoapsis and falling back into the atmosphere? Are you losing control of the rocket at some point? Are you getting out of the atmosphere but are just running out of fuel?

I've launched a few fairly large payloads (100 ton range I think) and one thing that's very helpful is on orbit refueling. You say your Jool ship is roughly 60 tons. . .how much of that is propellant? What happens if you launch it with the fuel tanks empty and then fuel it up once it's in orbit? Alternatively, can you figure a way to let the rocket use the propellant in the probe ship's tanks on the way up, and then refuel it after you've reached orbit?

well the probe itself with integrated lander is only 4 tons, now you can deduce how much fuel it has, also you given me an idea, i'll make a version of Delta IV

also the problem is that i don't have enough fuel for even go out of the atmosfere

9 hours ago, kermand said:

One could approach your problem from the other side : why does your Jool probe weights so much ? Maybe you can set priorities for what you want to send there and remove some dead weight. Or you could split your big probe between several smaller probes to be launched separately. Jool's SoI is quite big and forgiving if you send some of your probes a little before or after a transfer window (because you can't fire them all at the same time).

well, the thing is that i wan't to send two joint probes, one of them will be orbiting for ever jool (until it crashes on any moon or deorbited by moon sois for crash into jool, or it looses on deep space) and a lander for laythe that is designed to be floating, the two probes has a wheight of 4 tons, both have scientific things and both have batteries, the lander have solar pannels while the probe itself have a nuclear reactor (stock) when the probes arrives to jool i'll setup an encounter with laythe, moving to make it a crash, then the lander extends its solar pannels and then the probe adjust the orbit for pass near laythe making it easier for jool aerobraking then in apoapsis the periapsis will be in betwen laythe and jool, then at periapsis adjust apoapsis near pol, the the interplanetary stage separates and at apoapsis the stage will reduce periapsis to make a crash with jool, then the probes start to extract science

16 minutes ago, Spaceman17 said:

well anyone can teach me how to upload images to here?

You can't upload images directly to the forum. You'll need to upload your images to a third party site and then link them back here. Imgur is a popular choice. You can then add your images to a post by clicking on the "insert other media" button in the bottom right of the post window, and then clicking the "insert image from URL" option.

3 hours ago, Spaceman17 said:

well the probe itself with integrated lander is only 4 tons, now you can deduce how much fuel it has, also you given me an idea, i'll make a version of Delta IV

also the problem is that i don't have enough fuel for even go out of the atmosfere

I'm running a modded install, but I think the basic design philosophy I'm using will still apply. You can reduce your launch weight by only using the fuel you need to get into low Kerbin orbit. Any fuel you need beyond that can be sent up on subsequent launches. 

This is my Matryoshka launcher. It weighs 1,000 tons on the pad, but the two upper fuel tanks on the central core are empty. The first stage consists of five Mainsail engines and eight solid rocket boosters. I start my pitch over as soon as the SRBs burn out and fall away. Since the central mainsail is drawing from one fuel tank and the four outboard engines are drawing from two, the central engine cuts off at some point during the ascent. Everything besides the SRBs and the central nose cone makes it into low Kerbin orbit. 

G7EJNKP.jpg

Once in orbit I send up fuel tankers and put fuel in all eleven tanks. Then I set the thrust limiter on the central Mainsail to 50%. . .this cuts the fuel draw on that engine in half, meaning all five engines will now run out of fuel at the same time. I do this to avoid problems with my transfer burn calculations. The five Mainsails get me out of Kerbin orbit and on my way in a single burn, because while I enjoy docking, periapsis kicking drives me nuts.

UiuXKjF.jpg

Once the Mainsails are empty, the central core detaches and proceeds with the mission. With two of the really big fuel tanks feeding a single Poodle engine, it has enough dV to go just about anywhere. 

Iaw5nz2.jpg

here is my Delta IV Heavy, Capable of getting into orbit the probe + lander in 1 launch and in other 4 launches 3 interplanetary stages and 1 last for refueling the interplanetary stages, once that is ready i just wait for jool's correct position and tada, i'm sending a probe to jool

5uIo6gq.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.