Kaptain's Log Dev Thread - RC-2(9/12/2017) Now Available!!!!!

I am aware of the FPS bug, it is caused by all that log spam.

I'm working on it, hope to have a fix tomorrow

On 8/19/2017 at 3:37 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Log file, please.  Those exceptions shouldn't be there, and are what's causing the issue.

Also, are you using the latest version?

No need for the log file, I've been able to replicate it

I had Kaptain's Log v0.0.1.9 loaded this morning and it appears it may be partly responsible for issues as they mostly (but not completely) went away when I removed it.

First log 7zip is with Kaptain's Log, second is without.

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170821a.7z

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170821b.7z

Starting up with Kaptain's Log appeared to be much rougher than without.  (Module Manager's startup Nyan cat paused a lot more, etc.)  Major issue was intermittent cases of most mouse button events and Esc key presses being ignored.  Most active buttons like scene exit ones would stay dark and unresponsive.  Some mouse-hover events still worked.  This would only go away after a scene change.  Fortunately, I had Malah's Quick Goto installed and it still worked.  However, eventually I'd go into an editor and there's be no app-launcher and I've have to kill the program externally.  This hang up still happened at least once in the second game.  A quick look at the logs shows a lot of messages, many of them from VOID.

@Jacke I'm going to get another beta out this evening, with some extra debugging statements.
They will show, among other things, exactly when Kaptain's Log starts.  Like I said, it doesn't even get started until the SpaceCenter, so there is no way that I know of that it could affect the MM loading.  There are no configs which MM sees from the mod.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Jacke I'm going to get another beta out this evening, with some extra debugging statements.
They will show, among other things, exactly when Kaptain's Log starts.  Like I said, it doesn't even get started until the SpaceCenter, so there is no way that I know of that it could affect the MM loading.  There are no configs which MM sees from the mod.

I've been running for a few hours.  Accidentally put Kaptain's back in on my first session so exited, removed it, and restarted.  There's got to be some interaction, pushing over a threshold, because I'm sure the start up is rougher with Kaptain's, but after going without it, I don't think it's it directly.  As someone mentioned in another topic, perhaps it's the number of mods I run.

Last night when I'd just caught up, I was going with over 200 to check things out.  That was bad.  Yanked that down to 16--and I checked them really carefully, including downloading the zip archives again and having WinMerge compare the new to the previous ones I'd installed from.  Only KER came up different and a second new download of it was the same as the first new download.  But was that significant?  Not sure.  But 16 mods was really stable.

Took it back up to 60 and still not seeing the problems.  Then back to 180 ( many are tiny, with the ones I'm most suspicious of left out) and that's when I put Kaptain's back in again by mistake.  Pulled it out and it was 179 for a few hours mostly idle in flight while I played with the App Launcher and blizzy78's toolbar (which now can auto-hide, wow!) trying to get things right and remove enough from the App Launcher so it deosn't have to scroll.  Got flakier and flakier towards the end, Real Plume rocket exhaust disappears, invisible Jeb, and finally flooded out (not surprising when Exception Detector showed Kopernicus acting up from time to time).  Reverted back to the SPH and got bit by the ignoring-Esc-and-mouse-button-events again, but Quick Goto got me back to the Space Centre and things responding so I could exit the program.  Another set of logs if you're interested.

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170821c.7z

The problems when Kaptain is installed appear to be just an amplification of those without it, so it's just having that one particular app on top of all the others, so I think if you find anything in Kaptain's that's good, but there's other apps with likely worse bugs that are the real culprits.  I'm going to vet out a number of trial and duplicate mods to cut things down.

Edited by Jacke

Have you been monitoring your memory usage while you've been playing? I'm wondering if there might be a memory hog in part of the Captain's Log.

When I was playing a long-term game Sunday night, I noticed my memory went to 10 gig at one point. Then It dropped back to three and a half gig.

So it might be related to how much memory is being used by the game.

Could you run one more game, keeping the task manager open, and Carly the times you have leg with how much memory is being used please.

32 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I looked at the last log file.  I saw something that I need to change, but it has no effect on the performance; there is a folder I need to move into the PluginData since it is triggering MM to rebuild after you install KaptainsLog

Ah, another one of those beasties.  Good-good!

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Could you run one more game, keeping the task manager open, and Carly the times you have leg with how much memory is being used please.

I think I've been running between 3.5 and 5.2 GB total memory.  I'll do that run now.  Any way I can use GCMonitor or MemGraph to glean data?

EDIT: I've upped my mods to 188, definitely without Kaptain.  Sat for a while at the Space Centre and when I tried to enter a building, had the mouse-click-and-Esc lockout.  Memory had come up to around 5.65GB while starting and loading the save game, but was steady during the time at the SC.  When I used Quick Goto to enter the SPH, about 0.2GB memory freed up to leave 5.45GB, steady while waiting in the SPH.  Will do a few test flights, then exit, save logs, and install Kaptain's to test again.

Edited by Jacke

13 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Ah, another one of those beasties.  Good-good!

I think I've been running between 3.5 and 5.2 GB total memory.  I'll do that run now.  Any way I can use GCMonitor or MemGraph to glean data?

Well, I was watching the windows task manager.  Both would be better, since each reports different information (both as in task manager + either GCMonitor or MemGraph)

During the game without Kaptain, just had a long idle wait in flight.  Task manager was reporint 6.4GB in use.  Then when I moved a window in the game, dropped to 6.15GB.

Both GCMonitor and Memgraph shows more memory being in use.than Task Manager.  about 2.2GB more.  As well, when Task Manager reported memory dropped from 6.4 to 3.2GB, both GCMonitor and Memgraph showed it steady around 8.5GB.

With so many mods and memory use so high, I saw artifacts very soon.  When reverting to launch after the first flight, almost certainly the SmokeScreen / Real Plume exhaust had disappeared.  As well, failing to respond to Esc and/or mouse clicks (not necessarily together now) would come in the editor or Space Centre, rarely in flight.  Quick Goto always fixed them with a scene change.  Only memory change I saw associated with one of the lockouts was a drop of around 0.4GB.

Exitted and relaunched after adding in Kaptain.  Unfortunately forgot to save the logs of the non-Kaptain game.

Start up this time with lots of other mods (188) was smooth even with Kaptain; other rough start ups could have been due to other factors.  However, during flight, even though memory use was at times lower than the previous game, I always saw parts of the UI flicker out at times (navball, staging, altitude meter).  After a few flights, exitted, getting past Esc / mouse lockouts with Quick Goto.

Anyhoo, here's the logs from that game.

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170821d.7z

10 hours ago, Jacke said:

Start up this time with lots of other mods (188) was smooth even with Kaptain; other rough start ups could have been due to other factors.  However, during flight, even though memory use was at times lower than the previous game, I always saw parts of the UI flicker out at times (navball, staging, altitude meter).  After a few flights, exitted, getting past Esc / mouse lockouts with Quick Goto.

Parts of, or the entire UI?  If you have it set to hide the UI on a screenshot, that may be what's happening.  check tthe Kaptains Log file to see if screenshots were taken at that time, and you can disable that by going into the settings and disabling the "Hide UI on screenshot" setting 

On 8/22/2017 at 4:42 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Parts of, or the entire UI?  If you have it set to hide the UI on a screenshot, that may be what's happening.  check tthe Kaptains Log file to see if screenshots were taken at that time, and you can disable that by going into the settings and disabling the "Hide UI on screenshot" setting 

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  I had to rebuild my KSP install.

I installed the lasted Kaptains, 0.0.1.10, and tried it out.  Loading appears smooth but was still getting Exceptions, some from Kopernicus, some unknown.  Still getting intermittent ignoring of Esc and mouse events.  During flight, the UI interface elements were still flickering.  I wasn't using Automated Screenshots and Kaptains didn't report any other screenshots.

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170824a.7z

I removed Kopernicus and Stock Visual Terrain.  Still having the same faults, including UI flickering.  Ignoring of Esc seemed to only happen in the SPH, but that could have been due to the shortness of the game run.

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170824b.7z

Finally removed Kaptains and tried it one more time.  The UI flickering was no longer present, but the other errors were.

http://cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/KSP-null-mouse-btn-error-20170824c.7z

I did a quick test.  Logs here.

http://www.cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/20170825a-brief-Kaptains-0.0.1.11-test.7z

The interface in flight still flickers, but I've figured out why.  As @linuxgurugamer thought earlier, it's due to screenshots, but in this case, it's the screenshots taken for the thumbnails for the log entries.  Because I'm testing on a heavily modded install, even with a simple craft, KSP runs with the MET counter showing yellow.  To get the screenshots for the thumbnails with the default setup, ie. without interface, the interface is toggled off for a moment whenever a thumbnail screenshot is taken.  On a loaded KSP, that momentary interface toggle is noticeable.

To test this, I switched Automated Screenshots to take screenshots without the interface and the UI toggling was noticeable with it turned on too.

I don't quite understand Kaptains well enough to test it thoroughly without more study.  Right now, it's a bit more than I need, but I'm definitely interested in it for the future.  I'll have to either tune KSP better or cut down on the number of mods, perhaps both, to get better performance first.

5 hours ago, Jacke said:

I did a quick test.  Logs here.

http://www.cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/20170825a-brief-Kaptains-0.0.1.11-test.7z

The interface in flight still flickers, but I've figured out why.  As @linuxgurugamer thought earlier, it's due to screenshots, but in this case, it's the screenshots taken for the thumbnails for the log entries.  Because I'm testing on a heavily modded install, even with a simple craft, KSP runs with the MET counter showing yellow.  To get the screenshots for the thumbnails with the default setup, ie. without interface, the interface is toggled off for a moment whenever a thumbnail screenshot is taken.  On a loaded KSP, that momentary interface toggle is noticeable.

To test this, I switched Automated Screenshots to take screenshots without the interface and the UI toggling was noticeable with it turned on too.

I don't quite understand Kaptains well enough to test it thoroughly without more study.  Right now, it's a bit more than I need, but I'm definitely interested in it for the future.  I'll have to either tune KSP better or cut down on the number of mods, perhaps both, to get better performance first.

I mentioned this possibility earlier:

Did you toggle the option to take the screenshot with the UI showing? That way it will still take the screenshots, but won't hide the UI while doing it. See the following picture to see the screenshot options circled in yellow: 

Anyway, to avoid this in the future, I've changed the default to be false instead of true, with a tooltip explaining about the flickering

I wonder if I should put up a screen message occasionally warning about it?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you toggle the option to take the screenshot with the UI showing? That way it will still take the screenshots, but won't hide the UI while doing it. See the following picture to see the screenshot options circled in yellow:

Anyway, to avoid this in the future, I've changed the default to be false instead of true, with a tooltip explaining about the flickering

I wonder if I should put up a screen message occasionally warning about it?

Did some more testing.  Helped that I finally tracked down and removed what appears to be the source of the intermittent UI lockout bugs (Malah's QuickGoto, reported in its topic).  Still not quite used to all the config options now in the standard settings menu for various mods.  But I played around a bit with Kaptain's.  Logs here.

http://www.cuug.ab.ca/jacke/KSP/v1.3.0/_logs/20170826c-Kaptains-FMRS-testing.7z

When I changed Kaptain's screenshots to include the UI, there was no more flickering.  I think it's a good idea to change Kaptain's screenshots to default to include the UI.  For getting the information to the players, perhaps in the 1st post and maybe in a popup window on program start mention that Kaptain's has extensive setup options and to access them in new games in the Space Centre scene, perhaps including screenshots of the options window in the 1st post.

BTW, I've noticed that on Revert to Launch, FMRS will pop up its window by default.  Still haven't had a chance to use it much.  Is that the intended operation to jive with its usually process of handling stages?

New beta, 0.0.1.12:

• Changed default option for "Hide UI for screenshot" setting to be false
  • Changed method of getting screen messages, now using callbacks
  • Added Intro window
  • Added initial sort window, currently only sorts when selected, will eventually always keep in current specified sort order
    • Secondary sort is always universal time, except when sorting by universal time; when primary sort is Universal time, secondsry sort is vessel id

New beta, 0.0.1.13

• Added code to keep list sorted when adding new rows
  • Added reverse sort
  • Added export button to image display screen, to export a single entry (not functional yet)
  • Added new flag for template file to indicate it's for a quickExport only
  • Added multiple buttons to Intro Window for each section
    • still need to take pic and add images)
  • Added new class to save/load global settings
  • Added new option to specify if global settings should be used for all settings
  • Added option to each settings sections about global settings for that section
  • Fixed message icon filters for upper center

I like the Intro Window and was studying it to help better understand how to set up Kaptain's.  But I closed it to check something.  Then couldn't figure out how to bring it back short of exitting KSP and restarting.  Going all the way out to the inital KSP menu and then back into a game didn't bring it back.

Is there a way to do this without restarting KSP?

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

I like the Intro Window and was studying it to help better understand how to set up Kaptain's.  But I closed it to check something.  Then couldn't figure out how to bring it back short of exitting KSP and restarting.  Going all the way out to the inital KSP menu and then back into a game didn't bring it back.

Is there a way to do this without restarting KSP?

Not yet. Although I will add away, it's in the plans. Also, keep in mind that it's still not finished and I have to add a lot more information to those windows.

I'm glad you like it.

Actually there is. Get back to the main menu and go into a different game. That window is shown every time you enter a different game from the one you were in before so by going to the main menu and going into a different game you will see the window again.

51 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually there is. Get back to the main menu and go into a different game. That window is shown every time you enter a different game from the one you were in before so by going to the main menu and going into a different game you will see the window again.

Thanks for that advice!

Just checking out Kaptain's further.  The Intro window encouraged me to go into the settings of Kaptains and examine them.

Something I was wondering about was a KSPedia page for Kaptain's.  Could the Intro window be turned into a KSPedia page and could that be made to pop up on loading a new game?

This may be too much detail, but I was wondering if many players might have problems finding the two settings pages for Kaptain's.  Maybe you might want add a few lines to the upper left saying how to bring up the settings pages.  Something like:

At the Space Center, click the upper right Pause Button or press Esc to bring up the Game Paused menu.  Click on its Settings button to bring up the Settings menu.  Click on its Difficulty Options button to bring up the Game Difficulty window.  Click on either the Kaptain's Log or Kaptain's Log 2 to access those 2 pages.

But that does seem long to fit in.  Hmmm.

I really like how the columns on the Intro window match those on the 2 pages of Kaptain's Log in the KSP settings.  Except for one case.

The tabs on Kaptain's Log 2 go Event Pause Settings, Event Capture Settings, Event Screenshot Settings.  The last 3 tabs on the Intro window have the same 3 columns, except they go Event Capture Settings, Event Pause Settings, Event Screenshot Settings, with the first 2 swapped around.  On the intro window Overview, the text describing the Second Page also swaps around Event Capture and Event Pause.

Thought you'd like to know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.