In Wonder, He Sits Watching The Load Screen

zeineizoku

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO COMPLAIN TAKE IT ELSE WHERE THANK YOU

So I am sitting here watching my modded KSP load and I wait patiently.

I sit here and I wonder, what is the average time that everyone else waits for their client to load up? I am sitting pretty with about 106 some items in my GameData Folder. I usually wait for around, 30 mins for the game to load. What is the average wait time for you? By you I mean anyone that is taking the time to read this?

I have a pretty modest gaming rig, I have an FX 8-core AMD processor, a dated Gigabyte Motherboard, 16 Gb of DDR3 Ram, and a Shiny New STRIX GTX 1060OC.

I have thought about trimming my Mod Files, I am looking to make a Extensive Play-through Series. I will share what my GameData (see spoiler for link) Folder looks like, if anyone has some pro tips or what not, let me know. :) 

i have ~120 mods by AVC listing so probably more like 130
my computer is an i3  gen5, 12MB DDR3 Ram, no extra Gcard
wen the game was on a HDD i needed ~15 minutes to start
after moving the game to an SSD it went down to ~6 minutes

Edited by danielboro

SDD rules.

If you have 100 mods, this doesn't mean that you need all 500 parts. Remove unnecessary parts from the mods.

Sometimes you can replace a texture file with a renamed copy of a small texture file (I use Aluminium.dds texture). This will make corresponding part gray, but very often this doesn't make it less beautiful.

You can weld some parts together using UbioZur Welding mod. This decreases part count, makes the game run faster. But not all parts can be welded and still keep their functionality.

Edited by kerbiloid

Sorry everyone I was not updated that so many replied hahah, then again I am just waking up too.

12 hours ago, danielboro said:

i have ~120 mods by AVC listing so probably more like 130
my computer is an i3  gen5, 12MB DDR3 Ram, no extra Gcard
wen the game was on a HDD i needed ~15 minutes to start
after moving the game to an SDD it went down to ~6 minutes

I have an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition 4.0GHz 8-core CPU...I wonder why my game is so slow to load then.... hmmmm The game Runs on a Hybrid Card HDD/SSD.

11 hours ago, cratercracker said:

I have like gazillion of visual mods installed.

It takes about 3 minutes.

I am using basically everything that @Galileo has made in my game visual enhancement wise.

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

SDD rules.

If you have 100 mods, this doesn't mean that you need all 500 parts. Remove unnecessary parts from the mods.

Sometimes you can replace a texture file with a renamed copy of a small texture file (I use Aluminium.dds texture). This will make corresponding part gray, but very often this doesn't make it less beautiful.

You can weld some parts together using UbioZur Welding mod. This decreases part count, makes the game run faster. But not all parts can be welded and still keep their functionality.

SDD? sorry I am not sure if you are mentioning a specific acronym, or meaning SSD SolidStateDrtive.

I will have to look into the process of replacing texture, but however I do enjoy a good deal of the textures that Mod Devs use haha. 

As for removing parts I would just assume that I can hop into the parts folder and just delete the corresponding files?

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes, mistyped the abbreviation. Solid State Drive. I use it as system disk and for 2-3 most "important" games like KSP. And HDD as the second drive for other things.

TLAs can drive anyone insane ... :wink:

It should be noted that load time is depending both storage read time and cpu since the data read from the drive has to be unpacked and put in it's proper location.

I noticed this since I have similar (but short, 60-80s) on both my main rig with HDD and fast cpu and on my old laptop with SSD and slow cpu.

The first one hogs the disk with almost idling cpu, the latter hogs the cpu while the drive light just blips.

Open up whatever cpu load tool that is available and check if it's pegged during load.

If it is, getting a faster drive (and/or optimise it) will improve load times.

(If it isn't then SSD's are nice anyway :wink: )

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes, mistyped the abbreviation. Solid State Drive. I use it as system disk and for 2-3 most "important" games like KSP. And HDD as the second drive for other things.

Ah that makes sense I thought that is what you were intending

6 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

TLAs can drive anyone insane ... :wink:

It should be noted that load time is depending both storage read time and cpu since the data read from the drive has to be unpacked and put in it's proper location.

I noticed this since I have similar (but short, 60-80s) on both my main rig with HDD and fast cpu and on my old laptop with SSD and slow cpu.

The first one hogs the disk with almost idling cpu, the latter hogs the cpu while the drive light just blips.

Open up whatever cpu load tool that is available and check if it's pegged during load.

If it is, getting a faster drive (and/or optimise it) will improve load times.

(If it isn't then SSD's are nice anyway :wink: )

Currently I am sitting with a Hybrid Drive as I mentioned above, it is the mix of SSD and HDD it is around 500Gb. I do have an old Intel SSD 320 Series that is 80Gb. Do you think that would suffice to manage the KSP and KSP-Mods? I might have to just throw it in and check the loading times. I do notice that it throttles my AMD <saying that makes me sick> FX-8350 cpu. I do not wish to put much more into this PC tho, it is an old board about 4-5 years old, a gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 for those who are curious about it. I am only sitting with 16Gb Ninja DDR3 ram. I do not plan on doing much more to this rig aside from getting 32 Gb DDR3 RAM and probably a Liquid CPU Cooling unit so I can OC the CPU. Then we start the Mega Build with the new AUROS x Series MB and a AUROS 1080 Ti Founders Edition Streaming Gaming Rig to set me for the foreseeable future, and I will hand this rig down to my lady.

6 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

It takes my heavily modded 1.3 game 7 minutes to load, but because, every time, the first load crashes, I have to launch it a second time, and this time it loads properly. So, in reality, takes 14 minutes.

See I do not crash, I sit at this Boot Screen for a while where it is 'Black' and has the loading bar halfway filled with some kind of Text in it. Then it finally moves to the SQUAD Loading start up, then after it runs all the folders we get to the 30,000+ MM Patches, then the MM overlay gets really wonky and we finally load the game. Even still in the game I have been seeing lagy Screen Transitions form say the VAB to the Launch Pad and from the SPH to the Runway. something close to a solid 1-3 min waits... sigh

A side note in this discussion that I figured I would ask, Does anyone else have Filters Doubling when they are in the VAB/SPH? I will get a screen shot here shortly but I mean, I think I have a double LifeSupport Tab, and some other Tabs too, I think KIS is another one. Is that normal? or did I make a Kerbal Blunder Somewhere along the Road?

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Mine currently takes 14 minutes to start up.  ~160 mods, with a SSD.  :wink:

Well I have changed up and added my 80Gb SSD and it is dedicated to KSP alone. I have new problems now hahaha CKAn is being strange and I am having issues sorting and keeping track of what I have and what Versions and I am usually pretty organized... I need like a Helper that can manage the mods and make it work, then I can just stream it and give credit where it is due for my incompetence and play KSP Modded on stream for everyone... and speaking of stream... I gotta go haha about to start it up.

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

around 30/60 seconds, and I have like 100 mods.  

However, I am running an iMac Retina, so.....

That's not that different from my MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar.  I'm guessing it depends quite a bit on which mods.

Hmm.   My SSD is also encrypted, which could be part of it.

On 27/07/2017 at 5:27 AM, zeineizoku said:

I usually wait for around, 30 mins for the game to load.

That is honestly tragic. You should start a charity. I'm running Scatterer, EVE, Hyperedit and Vessel Mover in 1.2.2, (the latter 2 for testing things and mucking about) and it takes me about 20 seconds. 1.3 is running BDA, takes 15ish seconds.

I just had a really dumb idea. Someone should make a mod that adds a simple game like snake or the Chrome dinosaur game to the loading screen so we have something to do while waiting.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:10 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

That is honestly tragic. You should start a charity. I'm running Scatterer, EVE, Hyperedit and Vessel Mover in 1.2.2, (the latter 2 for testing things and mucking about) and it takes me about 20 seconds. 1.3 is running BDA, takes 15ish seconds.

I will make a Go Fund Me for this travesty that happens to me. but I will start a timer here in a min and I will open the game and see exactly how long it takes to the second.

On 7/29/2017 at 2:51 PM, JonathanPerregaux said:

Well, I "only" have 42 things sitting in my GameData folder and it only takes a couple of minutes to get to the title screen from a fresh boot. I have everything on SSD, with 8 gigs of RAM.

One thing that definitely helped was "-force-opengl" because it has less aggressive memory demands.

what does that do exactly? if you do not mind satiating my laziness. 

On 7/29/2017 at 1:14 PM, Jas0n said:

I just had a really dumb idea. Someone should make a mod that adds a simple game like snake or the Chrome dinosaur game to the loading screen so we have something to do while waiting.

'Frogger'

On 7/29/2017 at 10:14 AM, Jas0n said:

Better yet, one of those simple 2D gravity games where you try to make cool orbits with little polka dots.

38 minutes ago, White Owl said:

Better yet, one of those simple 2D gravity games where you try to make cool orbits with little polka dots.

10/10 will explode again,

as for my loading time it took a total of 2 mins for the game to actually open and then 13 mins and 13 seconds to fully load the game with a set of 112 KSP-AVC recognized mods.

GameData Folder

Spoiler

and what KSP-AVC reads out

Spoiler

KSP: 1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit

000_AT_Utils - 1.4.4
Filter Extensions - 3.0.4
Toolbar - 1.7.14
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Animated Decouplers - 1.3.4
B9 Animation Modules - 1.0.6
B9 Aerospace - 6.3.2
B9 Aerospace - 6.3.2
B9 Aerospace Legacy Parts - 6.3.2
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.13
BD Animation Modules - 0.6.4.8
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.8
CactEye Telescopes - 1.3.0.13
CCTV - 1.1.1.1
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
CommunityTechTree - 3.2
Community Trait Icons - 0.1.2
Contract Configurator - 1.23.1
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.2.1
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy - 1.1.7
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.7
Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 2.1.3
CSIFreighter - 0.2.3
Crowd Sourced Science - 4.1
CryoEngines - 0.5.6
CryoTanks - 0.4.4
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
Contract Parser - 1.0.7
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.1
Progress Parser - 1.0.8
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.0.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.13.1
Elephant Engine - 0.2
EVAEnhancementsContinued - 0.1.10
EVAFuelContinued - 1.5
Firespitter - 7.6
FShangarExtender - 3.5
Fuel Tanks Plus - 1.12.1
GroundConstruction - 1.2
Hangar - 3.3.2
HeatControl - 0.4.1
HullcamVDSContinued - 0.1.7.1
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.6.3
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.2
JSIPartUtilities - 0.4
RasterPropMonitor - 0.29
KerbalAtomics - 0.4.6
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
Feline Utility Rover - 0.6.1
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.3
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.5
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.3.0.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KSPWheel - 0.9.5.17
KWRocketryRedux - 3.1.4
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.4
Infernal Robots - 2.0.11
Maeneuver Node Evolved - 1.0.3.1
MarkIVSystem - 2.3.6
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
MunarIndustries Fuel Tank Expansion - 0.9.5.4
NearFutureConstruction - 0.8.3
NearFutureElectrical - 0.9.4
FarFutureTechnologies - 1.0.2
NearFutureProps - 0.1
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.9.3
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.5
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.2
NSS-OctoSat - 0.1.7
OPT Legacy Spaceplane Parts - 1.0.7
Portrait Stats - 1.0.15
Procedural Wings - 0.12.2
Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts - 1.4.2
RealChute - 1.4.4
RealPlume - Stock - 0.11.4
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.2.0.1
RemoteTech - 1.8.7
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.6
ResearchBodies - 1.9.3
SCANsat - 1.1.8
SelectableDataTransmitter - 0.1.3
Simple Adjustable Fairings - Plugin - 1.0.1
Simple Adjustable Fairings - KW Rocketry Pack - 1.0.1
SpaceY Expanded - 1.3.1
SpaceY Lifters - 1.16
StationPartsExpansion - 0.5.1
StationScienceContinued - 2.3
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.2.5
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.13
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 6.9
TAC Life Support - 0.13.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
TweakScale - 2.3.6
USI Core - 0.4.1
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.10.1
USI Exploration Pack - 0.8.1
Freight Transport Tech - 0.7.1
Karbonite - 0.9.1
Konstruction - 0.2.1
Malemute Rover - 0.3.1
MKS - 0.52.1
Universal Storage - 1.3.0.1
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.14.15
Waypoint Manager - 2.7
WildBlueTools - 1.23
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.5
Buffalo - 2.1.3
[x] Science! - 5.9

So with the SSD I have, tho dated, it seemed to help but I still feel like that is a little long?

I also had to basically use all CKAN to install basically every mod... because I do not know for some reason I was unable to get them all to play well together.... -3-

If any one has advice on that I am all ears haha.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:10 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

Charity, a charity.... Ha.... Ha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

On 7/29/2017 at 11:10 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

What!?!? 15 seconds? What computer do you have? My stock takes 5 mins, and my BDA install (with a lot of mods, and 18000MM patches) takes ~10-15 mins. I have Windows 7, 64bit, 8gb ram, and some medium-ish Nvidia Graphics card.

My ksp loads in 4 minutes and 25 seconds (timed it) my MM screwed up on the loading screen, so there is text over test where it lists the patches. But I have scatterer, Most of the USI mods by Roverdude, (MKS, Life support, FTT, Karbonite, etc.) and DMagic orbital science. Those are the ones I can remember. I have a decent processor, and I have windows 10. I guess I bought a potato (?)

Edited by Vinhero100

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.