In Wonder, He Sits Watching The Load Screen

zeineizoku

5 hours ago, Vinhero100 said:

My ksp loads in 4 minutes and 25 seconds (timed it) my MM screwed up on the loading screen, so there is text over test where it lists the patches. But I have scatterer, Most of the USI mods by Roverdude, (MKS, Life support, FTT, Karbonite, etc.) and DMagic orbital science. Those are the ones I can remember. I have a decent processor, and I have windows 10. I guess I bought a potato (?)

I have too many hahaha but I think after my last few streams it has gone well. The loading time still is around 15 mins but from what I can gather from the wealth of people coming in, it seems pretty average. As for what I have installed I think that I posted the Photo and KSP-AVC print out of my mod list hahah.

4 hours ago, monstah said:

Stock takes around one minute or less, but my not-so-heavy-modded takes somewhere just over 5 minutes

Hey Moderate thanks for joining the topic :D after I moved over to my older SSD for KSP alone, stock was blazing fast to load. 1 min would be a modest number if I recall. 

45 minutes ago, thekspbegginer said:

Mine takes about 3 minutes.

For how many mods? I am pushing about 120

22 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

Heavy moded takes 10m

define heavy haha. like I just mentioned to @thekspbegginer I am pushing like 120, several parts mods and a hand full of quality of life mods, and some 'Consequence Realism Mods'

Hey everyone thanks again for adding to the topic and discussing it. if anyone has tricks or hardware they would suggest that could speed up times feel free to drop it I am always open to learning new things. I do not need to for for GL or DX tho. If my research was correct since I am launching in the 64 bit I should not need those string modifiers. 

Thanks all you beautiful people. 

2 minutes ago, zeineizoku said:

after I moved over to my older SSD for KSP alone, stock was blazing fast to load.

Yeah, honestly my laptop is a bit overdue, my next rig will definitely have an SSD (and a decent amount of RAM too).

I'm actually considering building a Linux rig exclusively for KSP, like having it boot straight in the game, but I'll leave that to when I make some actual progress building my custom controller...

2 minutes ago, monstah said:

...I'm actually considering building a Linux rig exclusively for KSP, like having it boot straight in the game...

Yea... I am tech savvy and smart... just not that tech savvy and smart. Everyone seems to say Linux is the way to go for KSP tho... I am not sure why, maybe someone could enlighten me on that.

6 minutes ago, monstah said:

Oh, the only reason I plan on using Linux for this one project is so that I don't have to pay for an OS (and boot times might be faster than Windows 10, too) :P

AHHH I see that makes sense, luckily my Windows 10 is linked to my Windows Account which can be used to restore the 'Product Key' for free to new hardware :wink:

6 hours ago, zeineizoku said:

I have too many hahaha but I think after my last few streams it has gone well. The loading time still is around 15 mins but from what I can gather from the wealth of people coming in, it seems pretty average. As for what I have installed I think that I posted the Photo and KSP-AVC print out of my mod list hahah.

Hey Moderate thanks for joining the topic :D after I moved over to my older SSD for KSP alone, stock was blazing fast to load. 1 min would be a modest number if I recall. 

For how many mods? I am pushing about 120

define heavy haha. like I just mentioned to @thekspbegginer I am pushing like 120, several parts mods and a hand full of quality of life mods, and some 'Consequence Realism Mods'

Hey everyone thanks again for adding to the topic and discussing it. if anyone has tricks or hardware they would suggest that could speed up times feel free to drop it I am always open to learning new things. I do not need to for for GL or DX tho. If my research was correct since I am launching in the 64 bit I should not need those string modifiers. 

Thanks all you beautiful people. 

On 2017-08-02 at 8:47 PM, zeineizoku said:

Yea... I am tech savvy and smart... just not that tech savvy and smart. Everyone seems to say Linux is the way to go for KSP tho... I am not sure why, maybe someone could enlighten me on that.

The main reason (aside from politics and economics) is that bog standard Linux install uses far less resources for background fluff (while idle).

Which also explains why it often can outperform Win/MacOS for single applications, esp on lower specced computers (ie potatoes).

The catch is that the application must be able to run natively and there might be issues with drivers, esp for very shiny hardware.

Actual performance under load rarely differs very much on decent hardware.

In the end it becomes a case of personal preferences.

I don't really pay attention. I think 5-7 minutes. That's 80 mods including Ven's Stock revamp and the AVP repackage.

Then again, I have an i7-7700K, a GTX 1070 SC, and 16 GB of RAM. I wanted to be ready for anything.:)

Edited by DeltaDizzy

I have a machine that dual-boots Windows and Linux, with KSP installed on both partitions. So thought I might time startup times for both.

Hardware:

• Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz, overclocked to 4.8GHz.
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM.
  • nVidia GTX 970 with 4GB RAM.
  • 2TB Western Digital Green drive, SATA3. It's a bit old now, model number WD20EARX-00PASB0.

Software:

• Debian testing, quite up to date. Linux 4.11.0, proprietary nVidia driver version 375.66.
  • Windows 10. Fully patched. nVidia driver version 382.05

KSP:

1.3.0, whichever minor patch release is available through Steam for each OS. I'm testing with stock, and with my usual mod list. I don't go in for huge part or planet packs, but I do use scatterer and SVE with the biggest textures. Installed mods as reported by CKAN:

Spoiler

"Scatterer-config"
 "KAS"
 "KIS"
 "TACLS"
 "ModuleManager"
 "ZeroMiniAVC"
 "CommunityCategoryKit"
 "KerbalSimpit"
 "surfacelights"
 "LightsOut"
 "BAMCont"
 "Chatterer"
 "CommunityTechTree"
 "KerbalEngineerRedux"
 "InfernalRobotics"
 "KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems"
 "CommunityResourcePack"
 "AlternateResourcePanel"
 "BackgroundResources"
 "Scatterer"
 "Scatterer-sunflare"
 "DistantObject-default"
 "VenStockRevamp"
 "ReentryParticleEffect"
 "ConnectedLivingSpace"
 "notes"
 "HyperEdit"
 "StockVisualEnhancements"
 "PoodsCalmNebulaSkybox"
 "TextureReplacer"
 "ContractConfigurator-CleverSats"
 "ContractConfigurator-Tourism"
 "WaypointManager"
 "NearFutureProps"
 "ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech"
 "RemoteTech"
 "KerbalAlarmClock"
 "SCANsat"
 "DistantObject"
 "SVE-HighResolution"
 "BetterBurnTime"
 "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"
 "ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation"
 "StationPartsExpansion"
 "PortraitStats"
 "ContractConfigurator"
 "HideEmptyTechNodes"
 "StationScienceContinued"
 "ColorfulFuelLines"
 "TacFuelBalancer"
 "InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core"
 "PlanetWiki"
 "CommunityTraitIcons"

Method:

• Remove settings.cfg (to start the game with default settings)
  • Launch 64 bit version of the game from a command line. I don't add any parameters, so what I'm running is the default launch config.
  • Start timer when hitting enter on command. Stop when first note of menu theme song plays.
  • Reboot between each run, to ensure the game is being loaded from disk. Subsequent runs are much faster due to the operating system caching everything in RAM.
  • Modded times were not the first run after installing mods. I installed everything, launched the game once to let Module Manager populate its cache, and then rebooted and ran the test. There were 4908 patches applied.
  • For Windows, I let the machine sit idle for ~10 minutes after booting before running a test - my install takes a long time to settle usually. :/

Times:

Windows Linux
Stock 65s 55s
Modded 123s 115s

My subjective experience? I play in Linux, and that two minute start time really doesn't feel excessively long to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.