Is there any skill/ ability that you still haven't mastered in KSP?

ARS

The one skill I can say I definitively haven't mastered yet is being able to design rovers and package them into crafts for use on the Mun or elsewhere. I've built plenty of cars, and rockets, but for some reason combining the two hasn't managed to stick in my brain yet.

19 minutes ago, Tex said:

The one skill I can say I definitively haven't mastered yet is being able to design rovers and package them into crafts for use on the Mun or elsewhere. I've built plenty of cars, and rockets, but for some reason combining the two hasn't managed to stick in my brain yet.

Just gotta tuck'm away under a lander!  This is the only way I can do it, since I still haven't figured out how to even put stuff inside of a Cargo Bay.

screenshot100.png

Prioritizing aesthetics, creativity, time, ease, practicality or anything else over size and weight efficiency. It kind of makes the game boring and unsatisfying since I haven't found all the drag code, but that's the way many games go for me... it's a curse.

Edited by Aru

16 hours ago, Tex said:

I would say mk3 cargobays, but then I remembered how poor at roving my mk3 cargobay deployable rovers are:

Hy9viC0.png

They tip over very easily, so turns must be done at low speed (and the lower the gravity, the lower the speed)

On the one hand I don't drive these rover more than a km (if I've done a really bad job at precision landing).

On the other hand, if I want to move them over long distances, I drive them in the mk3 cargo bay and fly them closer

On the other hand, there's a lot of terrain that is just inaccessible to them because they can't handle it.

I mainly use this technique for base building, but I've had the idea in my head that I'd also make a 1.25m or smaller diameter "core" rover than can load and unload from the cargobay - I never did get around to settling on a design to tweak until it worked. At one point I had my "standard" cargobay with a 1.25m docking port on the node, and a 0.625m docking port just below that - adjusted with the part offset tool as to juuussstttt barely have a visible 1 pixel gap.

I intended to create a rover with a lower center of mass but the same wheel base to dock there (perhaps even having a thing sticking up to reach that 0.625m docking port, with the rest of the rover being lower).

I think this was pre-1.0:

10365487_10103383186199563_5158911516060

But basically I gave my rover some fins that didn't work so well for guiding its landing, pre-1.0, parachutes, and retrorockets. That was a better rover.

I also experimented back in those days with landers that had 2 engines on side tanks that extend pretty far down and then had landing legs mounted as far down as I could.

I then slung a rover underneath in the middle. Like above, the rovers had wide wheelbases using structural girders. It worked better pre-1.0 when there was no need to worry about aerodynamics (in the sense that almost everything except wings was equally draggy and orientation didn't matter) and payload fairings and all that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.