Possible exomoon discovered

insert_name

The paper in question is indirectly linked at the end of the article, and mainly focuses on a lack of detections. Also lots of simulations and cleverness with Bayesian statistics. Is there a recommended textbook for them?

The dearth of Galilean- analogs around warm planets places the first strong constraint on exomoon formation models to date.

I was not expecting that, but suppose it fits, given Kipping et al's terrible luck with exomoons to date. Also there seem to be vague hints of super-Ios?

For Kepler-1625b, they say a 10x Jupiter mass/1x Jupiter size planet, orbited by a Neptune sized moon at ~19 planet radii. But with lots of caveats, up to and including that the parent star's properties were probably poorly defined up until the most recent Kepler data release.

At this time, we remain cautious about the reality of this signal, given the relatively small number of transits available.
Fortunately, our photodynamic moon fit yields a testable prediction for the morphology of the next transit event occurring October 2017. We have secured HST observations to validate the signal in due course and we strongly advocate treating this object as no more thana candidate at this time, similar to previous moon candidates discussed in earlier HEK papers.

We'll find them. Considering how many moons there are in our own system (some of them quite large), there should be a whole heck of a LOT exomoons. All over the Galaxy :cool: We just need to find a right method of detecting them.

Wait a minute....

The size of this exomoon is around twice the size of Earth (half of Neptune's radius). This is a likely radius for ocean planets, and many habitable zone planets around this size are likely oceanic worlds. This moon also orbits a gas giant that, based on my calculations, has an equilibrium temperature and stellar flux value just a tad less than those of Earth. Which suggests that...

269px-TinyLaythe.png

....oh my.

On the subject of exomoons, I would like to present some of my interesting findings....

The planet Kepler-409b (KOI-1925.01) has significant Transit Timing and Duration Variations, or TTVs and TDVs. The former is when a transit event is off from its predicted timing, while TDVs are a change in how long a planet takes to pass in front of its star. Both are always less than an hour and can be attributed to many things, with stronger TTVs and TDVs possibly being caused by non-transiting sibling planets and/or exomoons. With Kepler-409b, some TTVs and TDVs were on the order of almost half an hour - far too significant to be caused by any sort of image noise. Many others were between 10 and 100 seconds, which is also very significant. I first detected these back in April/May and was confident that some object was acting on Kepler-409b's orbit. I reported the data to David Kipping, principal investigator of the Hunt for Exomoons with Kepler, and he found the results to be quite interesting yet rather odd. While he has provided help, my goal of getting TTVFast to analyze the planet better has been progressing very slowly. The recent discovery of Kepler-1625b I made me realize that maybe I should try to analyze folded transits instead of just transit variations for exomoon detections. Once again, I have inquired his help and reported some newer findings, this time of Kepler-1630b (KOI-5454.01). Initial study of the planet's three clear transits do suggest the possibility of another object in the system, as one of the transits is 34.29 seconds off from when it should have occurred. To determine whether this is from a moon or not, I need to use his folded transit analysis method. Let's see where this takes me.

On 7/27/2017 at 2:14 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Wait a minute....

The size of this exomoon is around twice the size of Earth (half of Neptune's radius). This is a likely radius for ocean planets, and many habitable zone planets around this size are likely oceanic worlds. This moon also orbits a gas giant that, based on my calculations, has an equilibrium temperature and stellar flux value just a tad less than those of Earth. Which suggests that...

269px-TinyLaythe.png

....oh my.

Maybe we should wait until the object, and it's parent body are confirmed before we jump to conclusions about conditions on the surface.

54 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Maybe we should wait until the object, and it's parent body are confirmed before we jump to conclusions about conditions on the surface.

True, especially since there are two different sizes for the star. One estimate puts Kepler-1625 at around 0.89 solar radii, while the second puts it around 1.7 solar radii. The latter value would mean that the planet is a bit over 1 Jupiter radius, compatible with the calculated mass of 10 Jupiters. It would also make the moon Neptune-sized instead of around 2 Earth radii. But hey, at least they found a habitable zone exomoon candidate.

Kepler-1625b and its moon are outside the HZ with the 1.7 solar radius model, dork.

Oh for the love of---

On 7/27/2017 at 1:41 PM, Scotius said:

We'll find them. Considering how many moons there are in our own system (some of them quite large), there should be a whole heck of a LOT exomoons. All over the Galaxy :cool: We just need to find a right method of detecting them.

And considering that there's at least one Jupiter analog...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIP_11915_b

A planet similar in size and mass to Jupiter, in a similar orbit around a similar star. 

My comrade @Cabbink posted an update on his page about Kepler finding an exomoon orbiting a planet about 4,000 ly(1.2 kpc) away from us! It has the name of Kepler-1625b I, of course this is still skeptical and is a candidate, so it may not even exist at all. We'll know as early as October 2017 if this moon is indeed a real thing and not a star or an artifact from the data it received: Here's the Nat Geo paper on the subject and the Arxiv analysis on this.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/07/moon-discovery-planets-kepler-exomoon-space-science/

https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.08563

Prepare the Hype-Train, boys and girls.

Edited by NickRoss120

On 7/27/2017 at 3:14 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Wait a minute....

269px-TinyLaythe.png

....oh my.

*screeching heard across the planet*

If this has waterworld alikness,  We name them Jool and laythe. Settled.

Edited by Cabbink

7 minutes ago, Cabbink said:

*screeching heard across the planet*

Ah now i have a hint for this soundwaves in last time... And i though there where a exploding vulkan....:D

@topic bc the most found exoplanets in HZ till now a realy big balls of gas or ice, finding a possible exomoons is realy a interesting info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.