Kerbal Combat Simulator

What's your opinion?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea?

2. 2. Do you think others will like it?

3. 3. Do you think this will be a good investment of my time

Last night, I was watching a DCS tutorial (mind you I don't have it, but I like it). Then it came to me "why not turn KSP into a DCS type simulator" After all, KSP has the BDA addon, tutorials, scenarios/missions, and, best of all, you can build your own custom airplane. So here is my proposal :

A pack that you place in a clean KSP install with select addons (RBDA, FAR, APP, etc.), tutorials, manuals, scenarios, and built-in crafts made by me, and anyone else who would want to help, for those who dont want to bother with building their own airplanes. The manuals would be either in KSPedia or .pdf format. Another thing to do would be to add the BDA displays to IVA cockpit screens. I would also modify parts into new parts (e.g, AIM-9 without warhead for tutorials). If you have any suggestions/questions, ask here.

Release thread:

Craft thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/163789-kerbal-kombat-simulator-kraft-thread/

Base Thread:

Contributors:

@Next_Star_Industries Mk8x bombs

@jrodriguez's RBDA, destruction FX, and Physics Range Extender (PRE)

@Shadowmage's Kerbal Foundries Continued. 

@Icecovery's AARS (automated aerial refueling system)

@Papa_Joe's BDMk22, Vessel Mover, and BurnTogether.

@blackheart612's AirplanePlus

@Crzyrndm's Dynamic Deflection and B9 Pwings.

@ferram4's FAR

@AlphaAsh/@Ger_space's Kerbal Konstructs plugin.

@DoctorDavinci's DCK Camo.

@pellinors tweakscale

@alexustas's ASET

@MOARdV's JSI PRM.

@Vens Vens stock revamp (duh!)

@tetryds/ @ferram4/ @BahamutoD's Mouse Aim Flight. 

@fast_de_la_speed's Mk1 ASET cockpit.

@linuxgurugamer's SXT continued

*needs to be downloaded separately Here*

@Starwaster's Procedural parts

@blowfish/@NathanKell's Module Manager, AJE, an SolverEngines

@sirkut's Infernal Robotics

@JollyGreenGI/ @dundun93/ @AirShark for their amazing crafts.

@Matuchkin for his campaign, scenario ideas.

Team Members:

@Matuchkin, @dundun93, @JollyGreenGI, @Lo Var Lachland, and (of course!) @dundun92

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

This idea sounds so perfect I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been attempted before. I could see myself sinking hours into something like this!

Glad to see someone likes it(my brother, @dundun93 said itd be a waste of time and that no-one would like it:wink:)

no. i said it was a good investment in your time but i just did not like the idea at all

2 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

This idea sounds so perfect I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been attempted before. I could see myself sinking hours into something like this!

THAT WAS YOU FIRST POST!!!!!!!!yay!

This sounds like it would be pretty cool if you pull it off well. Keep in mind that some modders don't like it when their mods are put in a pack so ask modders for permission first.

As for crafts I think a lot people would be able to contribute.

ALso you can make it work well with a multiplayer mod that would be great.

5 minutes ago, Jas0n said:

This sounds like it would be pretty cool if you pull it off well. Keep in mind that some modders don't like it when their mods are put in a pack so ask modders for permission first.

As for crafts I think a lot people would be able to contribute.

ALso you can make it work well with a multiplayer mod that would be great.

Dont worry, ive PMed all the mod makers already. Multiplayer will come later, once the scenarios/example crafts/addons are done.

Edited by Guest

Just now, dundun92 said:

Dont worry, ive PMed all the mod makers already. Multiplayer will come later

Cool, I wish you luck with this project and I'll enjoy blowing even more things up in KSP :)

I think a combat mod pack would be pretty impressive, especially with a IVA focus.

Two major things to consider are updates and compatibility.

First off, the mods would need to be balanced against each other.   While I'd assume most of them are pretty close, certain parts would be OP'd against other parts. So you'd have to adjust some of the mods to fall in line against some baseline you'd establish.  Within each mod I'd assume the parts are pretty well balanced, like BDA's  AIM9 vs it's AMRAAM.  But another mods version of the AIM9 might not compare exactly, so it might need tweaking to bring it inline with the rest of the parts in the pack.  I'm not saying equal the stats out, just make each part unique so no one part is made obsolete, and no one part is the only one a player would need. 

Updates.  Individual mods get updated on different schedules.  It also takes a while for these mods to update after a new KSP release drops.  You'll  basically need to have forks of the mods, tweaked to fit into your pack, that would have their individual updates reviewed and implemented to be used in the pack.  So your mod pack would end up a bit behind the current release of each mod.  It will also be well behind the current KSP version.  As long as you get the proper permissions from the various authors, I don't see this being a problem.  The community would just have to understand the 'update lag' that occurs with mods is now compounded significantly. 

I'm all for this idea.  especially if plane part packs are included, such as the mkII and mkIV expansion packs, and the other plane part packs.  Having part packs included in the super mod would allow players to expand their craft designs, while maintaining a single mod requirement so multiplayer is on a balanced playing field. 

18 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I think a combat mod pack would be pretty impressive, especially with a IVA focus.

Two major things to consider are updates and compatibility.

First off, the mods would need to be balanced against each other.   While I'd assume most of them are pretty close, certain parts would be OP'd against other parts. So you'd have to adjust some of the mods to fall in line against some baseline you'd establish.  Within each mod I'd assume the parts are pretty well balanced, like BDA's  AIM9 vs it's AMRAAM.  But another mods version of the AIM9 might not compare exactly, so it might need tweaking to bring it inline with the rest of the parts in the pack.  I'm not saying equal the stats out, just make each part unique so no one part is made obsolete, and no one part is the only one a player would need. 

Updates.  Individual mods get updated on different schedules.  It also takes a while for these mods to update after a new KSP release drops.  You'll  basically need to have forks of the mods, tweaked to fit into your pack, that would have their individual updates reviewed and implemented to be used in the pack.  So your mod pack would end up a bit behind the current release of each mod.  It will also be well behind the current KSP version.  As long as you get the proper permissions from the various authors, I don't see this being a problem.  The community would just have to understand the 'update lag' that occurs with mods is now compounded significantly. 

I'm all for this idea.  especially if plane part packs are included, such as the mkII and mkIV expansion packs, and the other plane part packs.  Having part packs included in the super mod would allow players to expand their craft designs, while maintaining a single mod requirement so multiplayer is on a balanced playing field. 

As for the mods, yes, I know, ill definitely be lagging. Actually, its stuck on 1.2.2, for FAR. For other weapons, im thinking about asking to tweak red vs. blues. As for part mods, about I cant add too many, because not everyone has a fast computer. Thats why visual mods (scatterer, EVE, etc.) Are totally out. I will consider some though.

Oh, and here is the kraft thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/163789-kerbal-kombat-simulator-kraft-thread/

Believe it or not, I was thinking about something very similar a few days ago, albeit  as a single challenge. I think it has potential, but excess mods scare me away. Ideally for me it would be BDA+Stock+EVE+Scatterer, but that's probably unrealistic. I would be interested in possibly creating a scenario or "mission." However, would it be possible to have a version without FAR? Or a catergory at least. I don't find the stock aero that bad, and FAR breaks all my planes I really like. 

Edited by MiffedStarfish

6 hours ago, goduranus said:

How do I get the FAR dev version for 1.3? The instruction on Github was a bit involved and it got me really confused.

Read deathpuff12's post above this one.

Edited by Guest

Also, ive got the OK for @Next_Star_Industries Mk8x bombs. 

4 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Believe it or not, I was thinking about something very similar a few days ago, albeit  as a single challenge. I think it has potential, but excess mods scare me away. Ideally for me it would be BDA+Stock+EVE+Scatterer, but that's probably unrealistic. I would be interested in possibly creating a scenario or "mission." However, would it be possible to have a version without FAR? Or a catergory at least. I don't find the stock aero that bad, and FAR breaks all my planes I really like. 

Plus the BDMk22, your modlist might work, although I preferr to avoid visual mods. 

27 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

RPM and IVA HUD should be mandatory if we're doing this.

I'm currently downloading Unity and its stuff to make a mod I've been thinking of for a while, maybe I can help doing new RPM windows if I manage to learn how it works.

Also, "Kerbal Kombat" reminds me of Mortal Kombat.

K E E E R B A A A L  K O O O M B A A A T

Yes, they will be. I will also use the BDMK22 HUD.

16 hours ago, dundun92 said:

, im thinking about asking to tweak red vs. blues.

Hi, I'm currently in possession of full permission to take over and develop this mod and that has started, I'd wait for tweaking as it's all about to change especially with regard to weapons, as BDA has come on leaps and bounds recently and the included weapons are very tired.

2 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, I'm currently in possession of full permission to take over and develop this mod and that has started, I'd wait for tweaking as it's all about to change especially with regard to weapons, as BDA has come on leaps and bounds recently and the included weapons are very tired.

Ok. Ill wait then.

The idea is fantastic!

I'm thinking of any other add-ons that I should ask my brother dundun92 about that he should include. I probably will help him bata test it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.