I have a question, It is an important one

Jebbie

Hello! Today I made my greatest achievement, Landing on Duna. But the problem is I only have 1730 DeltaV, Is this enough to get into orbit and home? And if no, Is there anyway I can escape. I cannot make a rocket to go and save it. 

So if anyone have an answer please reply.

Thank you ^.^

9 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Yes you can! I believe in you!

Or, quicksave and try for orbit?

Maybe. But I would not think it could even escape the velocity, and I cannot send another mission there. Too expensive, The rescue plan is a copy of the martian "Hermes" But I think launch costs will be around a million, and a million more for the vehicle, So that will not work.

Edit: I did try! It (Drumroll).... Failed miserably. Turns out that 1000 DeltaV could only take me too 6900-7000 meters. Who could have guessed!?

Edited by Jebbie

2 hours ago, Jebbie said:

But the problem is I only have 1730 DeltaV, Is this enough to get into orbit and home? 

Orbit, yes.  Home, no.  I usually budget about 1400 m/s to get to orbit from the surface of Duna.  That's not going to leave you with enough to escape and return to Kerbin.  However, getting to orbit will make a rescue easier if and when you can mount one.

This sounds like a lot of my early interplanetary missions. I'd get to my destination with (usually) enough fuel for a landing and return to orbit, but then not have enough for the trip home.

I think I spent half my time in my first two or three months flying refueling ships around the system, topping up stranded explorers.

Does your lander on Duna have a docking port, or failing that does your game (if its career) have access to the Clamp-o-Tron, which you could use to refuel?

4 hours ago, Jebbie said:

Edit: I did try! It (Drumroll).... Failed miserably. Turns out that 1000 DeltaV could only take me too 6900-7000 meters. Who could have guessed!?

So where is your ship now? Are there survivors?? If so... then I smell a rescue mission!!!  :wink:

9 hours ago, Jebbie said:

Hello! Today I made my greatest achievement, Landing on Duna. But the problem is I only have 1730 DeltaV, Is this enough to get into orbit and home? And if no, Is there anyway I can escape. I cannot make a rocket to go and save it. 

Thank you ^.^

Welcome commerade 

here's is my tips for leaving duna

1 check for capatilists (they like th break your rocket)

2 choose a ascent trajectory that gets trough the thick atmosphere fast then slows down and spends more time getting to to orbital velocity in the higher atmosphere

3just get your Perigee just above the atmosphere 

4 use kerbal alarm clock to find a duna-kerbin transfer window (or whatever transfer window planner thingy you want)

5 transfer 

6 areobrake at kerbin (40,000km perigee) (burn all your remaining fuel facing retrograde at around 100,000 km)

7 land 

8 celebrate with vodka

54 minutes ago, something said:

I tend to send ISRU equipment with the missions in order to prevent these scenarios.

Being stranded where you are you could go the cheap way of installing KIS/KAS and sending an ISRU unit in order to refill your return vehicle...

I have an IRSU unit on the base, Though my rocket is 300 meters away and I cannot move it.

And I was already planning to colonize, But not so soon.

The project of the Duna Lander was rushed, therefore I forgot an IRSU.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, Kerbal pancake said:

2 choose a ascent trajectory that gets trough the thick atmosphere fast then slows down and spends more time getting to to orbital velocity in the higher atmosphere

Uhm...

*None* of Duna's atmosphere is thick.  You can use nukes and ions on the surface.

Also, never slow down on your way to orbit.  Slowing down is a good way to ensure you will not go to space today.

If your trajectory is high enough to clear the local terrain, you're good to burn for orbital speed.

On 7/29/2017 at 11:43 AM, Jebbie said:

I have an IRSU unit on the base, Though my rocket is 300 meters away and I cannot move it.

If you've got rocket engines that can take you to orbit, surely you can throttle down and hover to move it closer?  Just keep the nose pointed surface radial, and tip over just a wee bit to accelerate sideways before going back to radial and drifting.

Once you can't get any closer, pull out an FLT-400 (or other smallish portable tank), fill it at the base and then roll it up or down the hill to the rocket.  Repeat as necessary.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, Jebbie said:

You're short of what you need, but only barely short of the optimal case.

On 7/28/2017 at 0:55 PM, OhioBob said:

I usually budget about 1400 m/s to get to orbit from the surface of Duna.

That's a good safety margin.  But with practice and an optimal trajectory (and a reasonable TWR), it's possible to get to a low Duna orbit from the surface with just over 1200 m/s of dV.  (Rummaging through old posts of mine, found one where I did it for 1210 m/s, from a landing site at elevation 1800 m.)

Then, our trusty tool http://ksp.olex.biz/ tells us that it takes 612 m/s ejection burn from 60 km Duna orbit to Kerbin, if you get the launch window just right.

So that gives us a total dV from Duna surface to Kerbin of 1822 m/s, which is more than your 1730 available, but not hugely more.  If you're patient and willing to exploit a bit (e.g. have your kerbal get out and push), you might be able to squeak by, barely.

The other alternative would be if you could use an Ike slingshot to save you that extra little bit of dV.  I bet you could pick up a hundred m/s or more from an Ike assist.  But it will significantly add to the navigational challenge, since you'll have to nail the interplanetary window just right, and the Ike encounter.  Makes for a master-class billiards shot to pull off.

So, it's definitely a stretch... but might just (barely) be possible.  Could be a fun challenge to try.  :)

On 7/28/2017 at 11:33 PM, Kerbal pancake said:

Welcome commerade 

here's is my tips for leaving duna

1 check for capatilists (they like th break your rocket)

3just get your Perigee just above the atmosphere 

4 use kerbal alarm clock to find a duna-kerbin transfer window (or whatever transfer window planner thingy you want)

5 transfer 

6 areobrake at kerbin (40,000km perigee) (burn all your remaining fuel facing retrograde at around 100,000 km)

7 land 

8 celebrate with vodka

That... Was funny. 

Don't forget, every true Slav covers up their failed launches.

HA! I almost said "failed!" Heh heh... In North Kerbin Land, our rockets "never" fail.

Pizdec!

• 2 weeks later...

It is Duna, I am not using RSS.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, suicidejunkie said:

Uhm...

*None* of Duna's atmosphere is thick.  You can use nukes and ions on the surface.

Also, never slow down on your way to orbit.  Slowing down is a good way to ensure you will not go to space today.

If your trajectory is high enough to clear the local terrain, you're good to burn for orbital speed.

If you've got rocket engines that can take you to orbit, surely you can throttle down and hover to move it closer?  Just keep the nose pointed surface radial, and tip over just a wee bit to accelerate sideways before going back to radial and drifting.

Once you can't get any closer, pull out an FLT-400 (or other smallish portable tank), fill it at the base and then roll it up or down the hill to the rocket.  Repeat as necessary.

Well, I landed the base 7 kilometers away from it, So I had to get it closer. 300 metres is the best I can do.

On 7/28/2017 at 2:41 PM, Jebbie said:

Thank you ^.^

I have an answer, it's an important one.

->goo.gl/sjSA72f

PS: Way to name a topic tittle...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.