From Artwork designs to a working prototypes

Unfortunately, I lost the craft file because of my own idiocy; I will rebuild the craft again with the screenshots as reference. The kerbalX link will be up by tomorrow...

Mods used: Mk2 Expansion and Procedural Wings

https://kerbalx.com/saurabhdas/DuoRacer---Concept-by-Wanner

On 8/7/2017 at 8:28 PM, Wanner364 said:
Album JfAO8Ce.jpg

I tried making this craft but the front wings tip over the aircraft as soon as it takes off....

Edited by Sorabh
Added the KerbalX link

20 hours ago, Skystorm said:

@Wanner364 I decided to give modelling your Blue Streak a go.  Here is the basic airframe shape so far without the canards and intake.

IT2PPjS.pngLength = 15m
Height = 1.625m
Fuselage Width = 2.5m
Wingspan = 8m

Might take me a few weeks but I will eventually get this flying.

Pretty cool ! Mine is a bit more "squary". We'll see wich one is best :wink: .

5 hours ago, Sorabh said:

Unfortunately, I lost the craft file because of my own idiocy; I will rebuild the craft again with the screenshots as reference. The kerbalX link will be up by tomorrow...

Mods used: Mk2 Expansion and Procedural Wings

https://kerbalx.com/saurabhdas/DuoRacer---Concept-by-Wanner

I tried making this craft but the front wings tip over the aircraft as soon as it takes off....

You're right, (although I haven't tried making it yet) a rule of thumb is you will need a bit of weight (centre of gravity) to be in slightly in front of the "lift". This should in theory gives a better control. 

10 hours ago, Wanner364 said:

You're right, (although I haven't tried making it yet) a rule of thumb is you will need a bit of weight (centre of gravity) to be in slightly in front of the "lift". This should in theory gives a better control. 

I know the concept. But it's difficult to arrange the centers of mass and lift in the desired manner with such large wings at the front .

I have built the craft but i can't take it off the runway.

And I also can't land any of my planes...

1 hour ago, Wanner364 said:

i can't upload anymore photos... the Imgur icon has gone when trying to submit a message, 

please help?

Imgur links are not working?

ffdSvqE.png

Works alright for me...

And my Little Bee looks like the Dreamchaser!!

Edited by Sorabh
Added imgur link

11 hours ago, Sorabh said:

Imgur links are not working?

ffdSvqE.png

Works alright for me...

And my Little Bee looks like the Dreamchaser!!

Niceeee!!

is that air intake at the back? lol

3 hours ago, Ozelui said:

It's still work in progress, it collapses the moment it's deployed and needs hundreds of struts...  but hey, it exists :D

That looks freaking huge!! looks cool though, did you put hinge doors at the rear/front?

i twas thinking originally of having hinged doors at both sides so that mini subs can come in and out,

what you guys think?

great build though!!

bPGKzZd.png

C'mon who doesnt like a bit of VTOL?

Lancer mk1a

Have you guys got any other specific designs and ideas you have in mind? more smaller fighter planes with vtol etc?

Edited by Wanner364

https://imgur.com/a/HeMKb

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/kraken-mk-1

@Wanner364  No, i didn't add a door yet.  It shouldn't be too difficult to add one in the rear, but in the sides it could take some work.  And the interior needs some serious cleaning before loading any cargo ( check the last image ) :D 

It took another 16 engines to make it fly, so it doesn't look exactly the same as your design, but i hope it's not too different. The 4 rockets on the bottom are needed to take off from water.

BTW if you have a name for the craft i'd be happy to change it.

Edited by Ozelui

4 hours ago, Ozelui said:

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/kraken-mk-1

@Wanner364  No, i didn't add a door yet.  It shouldn't be too difficult to add one in the rear, but in the sides it could take some work.  And the interior needs some serious cleaning before loading any cargo ( check the last image ) :D 

It took another 16 engines to make it fly, so it doesn't look exactly the same as your design, but i hope it's not too different. The 4 rockets on the bottom are needed to take off from water.

BTW if you have a name for the craft i'd be happy to change it.

Woah!! I have almost finished the Kraken too but yours is soo much better!!

But then again I am a noob who can't land planes (I can only take them off the runway and crash...)

On 8/8/2017 at 6:29 PM, Wanner364 said:

You can try angling the front wings down slightly and the rear wings up; this will move the COL back behind the COM. Of course, this may limit climb angle as it increases the chance of your rear wings stalling, and it will may not work very well for maneuvering. Might want canards.

11 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Have you guys got any other specific designs and ideas you have in mind? more smaller fighter planes with vtol etc?

How about a spacecraft?

Some of the smaller orbital Star Wars style spacecraft would be cool.

Thanks for the back up on this peeps @aerodis @sevenperforce, I would share some like with you but I ran out. The forum only allows 25 likes a day for those who don't know and I used them all this morning on this link, it's an international link that was shared as one of the TOTM. I wanted to like just about all of them but I ran out of likes :/

13 hours ago, Wanner364 said:

C'mon who doesnt like a bit of VTOL?

It was a craft like this one that motivated me to build AirLift One

Edited by Castille7

@Wanner364  The spice must flow!  Awesome drawings man

@Sorabh I'd love to see your interpretation of the seaplane, comparing different designs of the same ship is always interesting.  A little dirty trick to keep the center of lift behind the center of mass, hide parts inside the fusselage.  Lots of them ( see below ).

@Castille7  :o that thread you posted is full of win... in the best kerbal style. No wonder you ran out of likes

https://imgur.com/a/5ifjD

Craft file:   https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Dart-mk-1

Edited by Ozelui

1 hour ago, Ozelui said:

@Wanner364  The spice must flow!  Awesome drawings man

@Sorabh I'd love to see your interpretation of the seaplane, comparing different designs of the same ship is always interesting.  A little dirty trick to keep the center of lift behind the center of mass, hide parts inside the fusselage.  Lots of them ( see below ).

@Castille7  :o that thread you posted is full of win... in the best kerbal style. No wonder you ran out of likes

@Ozelui

Thank you for your kind words, my friend.

But my seaplane is nothing compared to yours. My imagination is limited; that of a mere human.

But your imagination and skills, my friend, have transcended humanity! It has reached Kerbalhood!

PS: How do you do the 'name-in-a-blue-banner' thingy?

Edited by Sorabh
Did the banner thingy..

35 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

How do you do the 'name-in-a-blue-banner' thingy?

When you type the '@' followed by the first letters, a dropdown menu should appear, narrowing down as you type more letters. You need to actually click on one to make it embed the linked name.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:49 PM, Wanner364 said:
Art 8
Spoiler

cRageiW.jpg

DuoRacer 

low altitude racer

My full stock version of the DuoRacer: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/DuoRacer-1

Was a nice challenge to build an odd craft as close to the concept as possible with only stock parts (and I needed to test uploading with the KerbalX mod in 1.3.0 - it still works).

I think she flies nicely too, though once the afterburner goes on, fuel runs out fast (can be solved by clipping a few mk0 tanks in, but watch the balance).

Pics:

Spoiler

sVeAnj3.png

qW1SBB8.png

I6RO2Dp.png

p5I4AY5.png

Zt6bTOw.png

plNpOa4.png

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/kb7GO

Edited by swjr-swis
reformatted with spoilers; added more pics

Hey guys,  sorry I have not posted anything yet, (I've been busy this weekend so I have not been able to do much drawings) will try to post something up next week 

@swjr-swis that looks awesome! I see you've place multiple wings :) great screenshots! 

Edited by Wanner364

On 8/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, aerodis said:

That's monstrous ! That's the sort of things I don't enjoy building. I still prefer making small passenger planes like the ones i posted on KerbalX.

Thank you aerodis! The Airlift One has some really cool interior, I didn't elaborate on it with pics and video much :blush:. Check it out when you have a chance. (Warning! High part count for some computers). Also it may not work well with the latest version of ksp I haven't updated it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.