From Artwork designs to a working prototypes

2Y53G4J.png

hey guys just a quick and simple craft came in my head before I go to bed 

"Phoenix Flyer"

Kerbals reuseable orbital space transport vehicle 

Edited by Wanner364
Link Picture not working now updated

M4pL2qy.png

ok had to use my laptop to upload my sketches, so here is one of them, (one of 20 designs i've recently sketched).

i will add more soon

Edited by Wanner364
Link to load up pictures are not working again

:o

ok Sorry guys these are unfinished sketches: but you get the picture, i will add a bit of colour to it in the future so you can get more definition of the designs.

again, apologise as i've been busy this week as i have not added any artwork recently..

3GysU4P.png

DroneMaster

7KRPEUo.png

'LandMate'

able to cruise on land or sea, could carry large vehicles.

Kerbals be able to stay for months at a time on remote places.

The challenge is coz its so big, its VTOL

( inspired by Interstellar)

VjZh05z.png

'Sterling'

If you guys have a better names for some of these craft happy to share and rename it.. we'll have a vote!

Edited by Wanner364

I made the Yellow Star one. The thing about this one is that we don't need to shape the plane with wing panels to make it cool, only the mk2 fuselages were used here. And it's so stable that it can even fly with a broken wing !

I'm about to post it on kerbalX for the curious.

EDIT : Craft posted ! Be sure to check it out and test it for yourself !  Link : https://kerbalx.com/aerodis/Yellow-star-10

Edited by aerodis

On 14/08/2017 at 0:12 AM, Wanner364 said:

2Y53G4J.png

"Phoenix Flyer"

Kerbals reuseable orbital space transport vehicle 

OOps,  I just saw you got a little engine between the big ones.. I got my sparks in the wrong place !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7rjv58xfjkrvij/Phoenix Flyer.craft?dl=0

It gets to orbit,  but it's not carefree, you have to pull the nose up a bit and throttle back to not blow up, so it's not going on KerbalX. Flies straight though.

wVBGz5W.jpg

UyRZQ6m.png

ISPy8W0.png

On 20/08/2017 at 11:49 AM, Wanner364 said:

I9EeFEZ.png

KerbShuttle

Mk2 have draggy fueslages, so it was probably a mistake to try to use wing and nukes to get to orbit like i normally do - lots of fuel and brute force chemical thrust might be the best way.  I normally use wing incidence to make mk2 fly better but it messes up the wing/body blending appearance here.   Due to nukes and overall design cg is far aft.    It doesn't handle as well as i like (needs to be kept in line) but it got us to space.  Doesn't overheat like the other one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qoz2pz0n26zgih/Kerbshuttle.craft?dl=0

rYFWjsn.jpg

SWetqatg.png

l64qUeb.pngVpmzE2h.jpg

14 hours ago, AeroGav said:

Mk2 have draggy fueslages, so it was probably a mistake to try to use wing and nukes to get to orbit like i normally do - lots of fuel and brute force chemical thrust might be the best way.  I normally use wing incidence to make mk2 fly better but it messes up the wing/body blending appearance here.   Due to nukes and overall design cg is far aft.    It doesn't handle as well as i like (needs to be kept in line) but it got us to space.  Doesn't overheat like the other one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qoz2pz0n26zgih/Kerbshuttle.craft?dl=0

Dammit, you beat me to it.

On 22/08/2017 at 0:26 AM, AeroGav said:

I've had another crack at this, to see if I can make it perform/fly better.Original here for comparison

Spoiler

I9EeFEZ.png

1.  I thought that putting some mk0 tanks down the sides might   allow me to add a couple of degrees of wing incidence without messing up too much the appearance of the wing/body blend

2. the elevons on the "chines" / leading edge root extensions weren't very effective for controlling pitch so i got rid.   The front most strakes are angled up a bit more than the main wing,  to provide built in nose up trim so you don't have to push down at the back to maintain the pitch attitude you'll be using on the ascent to orbit.

3. I got rid of the mk2 liquid fuel fuselage behind the cargo bay, since mk2 parts have terrible drag and you can't really see it anyway.

4. Came up with a rather ingenious way to make that spitter between the two intakes without creating vast drag. Attached an FT400 tank radially between the two intakes, attached nose cones to the front and back - then used the offset and rotate tools to bring the rear cone to the front .  

5.  Reworked the way the whole "top house" rear assembly is boxed in.

Mark two here - https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/Kerbshuttle2

fziQaS9.png
XoTKmEl.png

Spoiler

390eVjd.png

gvkJRwj.png

x0e9ZnG.png

With a design like this, pitch control is always going to be weak or drag prone, because it lacks canards and the elevons are very close to the CG.   The CoL is  also very far aft, making it nose heavy,  but it's got enough to take off, land and fly to orbit.    It now has a bit too much oxidizer and not enough liquid fuel, but who knows, perhaps you're carrying something heavy?  Or you could put extra liquid tanks in the cargo bay if not.    It flies acceptably enough to go on KerbalX i think, though it's  by no means my best performing or handling SSTO !

The "roll bar" type wings that come down to the tips of the main wing have anhedral so should cause roll instability, though in practice this one's not too bad.  Perhaps that "rear house" creates a lot of yaw stability to compensate, also much unwanted rolling is due to bugs in the physics engine caused by part attachment order.

Edited by AeroGav

You guys are doing amazing at creating these designs & crafts to life in KSP, thank you for sharing it too it looks great! ok i'll shut up now and keep those pens drawing...

If you guys do have any drawing or sketches and ideas that you would like to share feel free to post it up here.

(even if its just an idea that you'd thought of and rough sketched on a tissue paper) haha

love to see/hear your feedback 

Cheers guys!

This one is from a while back...

a small escape spacecraft enough to send a Kerbal back to Kerbin safely from [high to low] Kerbin orbit.

similar design to the Blue Bee. Although i think that the escape craft should be upside-down - where the hatch is connected to the mother craft. so that a Kerbal can access straight into it.

fTWdu7G.jpg

it may not be the most manouverable craft, the winglets should pop out of the small fuselage only for small control and airbrake

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.