Skill levels for various missions

I have a simple question with an opinion based answer about when I should think about attempting various different stock/modded missions, as, believe it or not, my single mün mission probably doesn't qualify me for a RO/RSS grand tour. That's all I have to ask, really, besides something unrelated, like how to fix overheating problems in my laptop whenever I use visual mods. feel free to answer that one, too, cuz it's pretty annoying.

The simple answer is: when you feel like it. (and I think it really don't help)

So, you did a Mun mission. Did you landed? Returned to orbit? Returned to kerbin? Landed safetly on kerbin?

Question yourelf where you need to improve and if you think you are doing well question yourself what is the next challenge you can take.

I would suggest that you think about what you might want to do as a long term goal, and then approach it incrementally.  If there are any parts of the long term goal that you don't feel you currently have the skill to perform, design smaller simpler missions that will allow you to acquire the missing skills without biting off more than you can chew at one time.

As far as mods are concerned, I also recommend that you do it incrementally.  The first mods I started out with were utility mods, i.e. tools that make playing the game easier.  Examples of these are Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Precision Node, etc.  You can then start moving into part packs, planet expansion packs, environmental enhancements, etc.  Just pick what interests you.

2 hours ago, Spricigo said:

The simple answer is: when you feel like it. (and I think it really don't help)

So, you did a Mun mission. Did you landed? Returned to orbit? Returned to kerbin? Landed safetly on kerbin?

Question yourelf where you need to improve and if you think you are doing well question yourself what is the next challenge you can take.

it was literally just a mün landing, no return, but I had a rover! I also managed to land "near" the münar arch. So far, it's the only thing that I've landed on anything other than Kerbin. Planning to change that, though.

And that's some pretty sound advice, too.

9 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I would suggest that you think about what you might want to do as a long term goal, and then approach it incrementally.  If there are any parts of the long term goal that you don't feel you currently have the skill to perform, design smaller simpler missions that will allow you to acquire the missing skills without biting off more than you can chew at one time.

As far as mods are concerned, I also recommend that you do it incrementally.  The first mods I started out with were utility mods, i.e. tools that make playing the game easier.  Examples of these are Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Precision Node, etc.  You can then start moving into part packs, planet expansion packs, environmental enhancements, etc.  Just pick what interests you.

Yknow, that makes sense. Also, I've had a few situations in which I end up going off the deep end with mods, then catch myself, because I'm trying to get a decent amount out of the stock game before going into stuff like KSPI-E and Mk.4 spaceplane parts. Not that I'm staying completely stock; I've still got a few mods on my semi-stock install; I've also got RO/RSS on a different install, which is fun, even though most of the time I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to use something.

Thanks, you two.

3 hours ago, Linventor said:

That's all I have to ask, really, besides something unrelated, like how to fix overheating problems in my laptop whenever I use visual mods. feel free to answer that one, too, cuz it's pretty annoying.

Your fans are your friends. Kick them into high gear and leave them there. Not sure about your situation, but I've already got four kids, so if I cook my crotch it's not the end of the world.

1 minute ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Your fans are your friends. Kick them into high gear and leave them there.

Well, easier said then done, since my Dell laptop has no settings for what speed the fans run at, as far as I'm aware.

10 minutes ago, Linventor said:

Well, easier said then done, since my Dell laptop has no settings for what speed the fans run at, as far as I'm aware.

They are usually temp controlled.  And you can access those speed controls with the right app if you really wanted too.  But unless you have a pressing need, just let the computer decide what to do with the fans.  With the overheating, make sure the vents have plenty of space to move air around, so prop up the machine on something, and keep crap away from the vents.  Opening it up and cleaning off the vents and fans wouldn't hurt either. 

13 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

so if I cook my crotch it's not the end of the world.

1)  Your SO might have words about that.  Then again, after 4 kids, they might not notice for a few weeks at least.

2)  Tables.   They invented tables to put stuff on. 

Edited by Gargamel

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

They are usually temp controlled.  And you can access those speed controls with the right app if you really wanted too.  But unless you have a pressing need, just let the computer decide what to do with the fans.

Mind pointing me in the general direction of a decent bit of software for that?

1 minute ago, Linventor said:

Mind pointing me in the general direction of a decent bit of software for that?

Errrrm.... Lemme check, but I think google should help you out.  I haven't used those apps in a while. 

But I did add to that post in an edit while you posted.

Just now, Gargamel said:

Errrrm.... Lemme check, but I think google should help you out.  I haven't used those apps in a while. 

But I did add to that post in an edit while you posted.

I've already cleaned out the inside, but it's not being propped up on anything, as I'm in arizona at this time, which is quite a ways away from home, so no computer stand. Also, I haven't had as much heating problems without visual mods, so it might be my graphics card that's having overheating issues.

I use a 3/4" strip of wood to prop mine up.  The stands always had a tendency to slide my laptop onto the floor.  Just find something to stick under the hinge end of the computer, like a couple pencils or the edge of a book. 

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I use a 3/4" strip of wood to prop mine up.  The stands always had a tendency to slide my laptop onto the floor.  Just find something to stick under the hinge end of the computer, like a couple pencils or the edge of a book. 

Aight, that seems like it'd work. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I use a cheap cooler, like a Plexgear TwinCool.

Plexgear-Twin-Cool.jpg

Gives both a nice slant and cools my laptoy.

10 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Plexgear-Twin-Cool.jpg

I'm ashamed to admit I've become a laptop elitist (so much so that I cringed when @Linventor said "Dell"; no offense). I jumped out the window for a high-end gaming laptop about a year and a half ago. Been living the good life ever since; so I've forgotten my roots (which was why I said to engage the cooldown fans). My old laptop was a crappy HP that I actually thought might catch fire. I got one of those cooling pads and it made a huge difference. As a bonus, you'll still be able to have a kid or two; if that interests you. :)

19 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Plexgear-Twin-Cool.jpg

I have a laptop stand/cooler at home, but I don't know what brand it is, but what I do know about it is that it has a few USB ports on it, and periodically makes a grinding sound of sorts for no apparent reason.

2 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I'm ashamed to admit I've become a laptop elitist (so much so that I cringed when @Linventor said "Dell"; no offense). I jumped out the window for a high-end gaming laptop about a year and a half ago. Been living the good life ever since; so I've forgotten my roots (which was why I said to engage the cooldown fans). My old laptop was a crappy HP that I actually thought might catch fire. I got one of those cooling pads and it made a huge difference. As a bonus, you'll still be able to have a kid or two; if that interests you. :)

No offense taken. I've got a pretty decent laptop, but nothing too crazy. I prefer to upgrade when I need to, and get something that'll last. As for brand choice, my parents picked out this thing for me. It's an Inspiron 15 7559, only thing changed from base model is RAM, at a current 16 GB. And no, I don't put my laptop on my lap, at least not when doing stuff like, at minimum in terms of processing power, n64 emulation.

1 hour ago, Linventor said:

I have a laptop stand/cooler at home, but I don't know what brand it is, but what I do know about it is that it has a few USB ports on it, and periodically makes a grinding sound of sorts for no apparent reason.

No offense taken. I've got a pretty decent laptop, but nothing too crazy. I prefer to upgrade when I need to, and get something that'll last. As for brand choice, my parents picked out this thing for me. It's an Inspiron 15 7559, only thing changed from base model is RAM, at a current 16 GB. And no, I don't put my laptop on my lap, at least not when doing stuff like, at minimum in terms of processing power, n64 emulation.

That's actually pretty respectable. Much better than my old HP. The funny thing is, I've had this awesome machine for a year and a half, and all I do on it is play KSP. My 980 is just sitting there at about three percent most of the time, so I don't think you're missing much with your GPU. And KSP is a single-core game, so an i5 with 16GB is plenty. One upgrade that can make a difference, if you haven't already, is an SSD. My MSI came with a 250GB that I filled immediately. I never even touched the 1TB HDD. Instead, this past Christmas, I treated myself to a 1TB SSD upgrade. Even with installation (I was afraid of screwing something up and voiding my warranty), it was under 200 dollars. Not everybody can shell out 200 bucks obviously, but a 250GB wouldn't cost too much (especially if you install it yourself; it turned out to be ridiculously easy). For a gamer, I think it's totally worth it. Even though mine is loaded with games from Steam sales that I never even play.

17 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

That's actually pretty respectable. Much better than my old HP. The funny thing is, I've had this awesome machine for a year and a half, and all I do on it is play KSP. My 980 is just sitting there at about three percent most of the time, so I don't think you're missing much with your GPU. And KSP is a single-core game, so an i5 with 16GB is plenty. One upgrade that can make a difference, if you haven't already, is an SSD. My MSI came with a 250GB that I filled immediately. I never even touched the 1TB HDD. Instead, this past Christmas, I treated myself to a 1TB SSD upgrade. Even with installation (I was afraid of screwing something up and voiding my warranty), it was under 200 dollars. Not everybody can shell out 200 bucks obviously, but a 250GB wouldn't cost too much (especially if you install it yourself; it turned out to be ridiculously easy). For a gamer, I think it's totally worth it. Even though mine is loaded with games from Steam sales that I never even play.

About the GPU, I actually use mine for other games, like BeamNG.drive and Cemu (wii u emulator). I have a 1TB HDD, which I use mainly as my games directory and personal file storage, along with a 128GB SSD for stuff like my OS, plus the games that I installed there before deciding on my game directory location. Also, I had a 250GB HDD drive in my 2nd computer, which I didn't get even close to filling up. Also, my main problem for specs is what I'd need for something like Scatterer, EVE, Planetshine, and Distant Object Enhancement. Mind letting me know what visual mods you use?

EDIT: By 2nd computer, I mean the second computer that I used. My current computer is my fourth one.

Edited by Linventor

Ha. That's the funny part. None, at the moment. Been playing stock for 2,000 hours. I can use any of them, so I think I'm gonna use the whole SVE package. With EVE, Scatterer, Planetshine, etc. Was hoping they'd update CKAN to make it easier on me. I already have a backup copy of KSP ready for installs, but I'm always trying to "finish this mission first".

As a quick p.s., you've actually got yourself a pretty decent machine. Apart from the heat issue, it sounds like you're doing just fine.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

Y'know, that specs recommendation probably won't hold up against SVE. I've had the most heating problems with several visual mods installed, and probably won't be using them until I get something like a fan blowing on my keyboard, which for some reason is the part that gets the most hot, and might even not be covered by the fans, as even when the vents are blowing out cool air, it still feels warm there.

@Linventor, a huge thanks to you. Earlier, you inadvertently made me feel very stupid. I was talking about how great my machine is, and you nonchalantly asked which visual mods I was using. I was completely stumped. The stock game is one thing, but why was I using stock visuals? I've got a system that can handle it, so what was I doing? On a clean version on my desktop, I installed SVE and all that goes with it. EVE, Scatterer, Planetshine. I think there were a couple others, too. Check this out. It's an asteroid I brought to Laythe for a contract a couple weeks ago.

screenshot534.png

How fantastic does that look? I'm like a lifelong vegetarian who just had his first piece of bacon. I never knew what I was missing. Can't thank you enough. :cool:

Just now, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

@Linventor, a huge thanks to you. Earlier, you inadvertently made me feel very stupid. I was talking about how great my machine is, and you nonchalantly asked which visual mods I was using. I was completely stumped. The stock game is one thing, but why was I using stock visuals? I've got a system that can handle it, so what was I doing? On a clean version on my desktop, I installed SVE and all that goes with it. EVE, Scatterer, Planetshine. I think there were a couple others, too. Check this out. It's an asteroid I brought to Laythe for a contract a couple weeks ago.

screenshot534.png

How fantastic does that look? I'm like a lifelong vegetarian who just had his first piece of bacon. I never knew what I was missing. Can't thank you enough. :cool:

Glad you're enjoying it! And boy, does that look AWESOME. I'd be doing it too, if I could cool my computer.

29 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I'm like a lifelong vegetarian who just had his first piece of bacon.

i'd say Smart Parts tastes like cheedar.

Mod are tellling you the same The Green Goblin told Spiderman:

Join me. Imagine what we could accomplish together. What we could create...

You may already be using this EVE setup, but if not it's worth a try.

As to the skill level for various missions - why not use a real-life approach and start each mission programme by sending the cheapest probe that can perform a flyby? If it reaches the destination, have a look at dV it would have needed to make orbit; if not, figure out why not and try again. In outline:

1. Probe flyby
  2. Probe orbiter
  3. Probe lander + Kerbal orbiter
  4. Kerbal lander (flags & footprints mission)
  5. Rover lander
  6. Heavier equipment, base structures, ISRU ...

Using a telemetry/data mod such as Kerbal Engineer to measure the performance of the current craft will greatly simplify planning the next mission. Keep the first flyby probe very light, even without science payload, so that you can afford to make several attempts. Good luck!

3 hours ago, CSE said:

You may already be using this EVE setup, but if not it's worth a try.

As to the skill level for various missions - why not use a real-life approach and start each mission programme by sending the cheapest probe that can perform a flyby? If it reaches the destination, have a look at dV it would have needed to make orbit; if not, figure out why not and try again. In outline:

1. Probe flyby
  2. Probe orbiter
  3. Probe lander + Kerbal orbiter
  4. Kerbal lander (flags & footprints mission)
  5. Rover lander
  6. Heavier equipment, base structures, ISRU ...

Using a telemetry/data mod such as Kerbal Engineer to measure the performance of the current craft will greatly simplify planning the next mission. Keep the first flyby probe very light, even without science payload, so that you can afford to make several attempts. Good luck!

Thank you SO MUCH for letting me know about that mod! Your suggestion about how to best approach a mission is also nice!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.