[1.12.x] NASA CountDown Clock Updated

linuxgurugamer

Not sure it fixed the problem - or at least, not without creating, possibly, a new one. Not posting log just yet, want to confirm it's not my system being wonky, but on my last launch, something with GT was slowing the system down massively - something that wasn't happening prior to this last update. Not only that, I couldn't manually trigger all launch clamps (4, in this configuration) via the staging (spacebar) command - I had to do it through Part Commander, which only did it one at a time despite all clamps being grouped as one.

Again, the only change since my last launch was the update to this and your Toolbar Controller mods. I'm pretty sure it's directly related to GT, however, since the time slow down went away as soon as GT dropped from the screen upon exiting the atmosphere, and did not reappear for the rest of the flight.

I'm going to try it one more time tomorrow to verify what I'm seeing, and I'll post a log file if needed.

I fixed the problem so you don't need to manually trigger the launch clamps, the countdown clock cna do that and properly trigger Gravityturn.

That being said, I tried launching the KerbalX rocket,  with my having to trigger the launch clamps manually instead of letting the clock do so.  It has 6 launch clamps, and all let go properly.  I also didn't notice any slowdown, but this was with a small install.  But Gt wasn't touched at all, and once launched, the clock goes away.

I'll be testing again after I'm back from classes - but the scene I mention was with the newest build of this mod. However, after some checking last night, it may have been my system after all - I noticed that my system, doing nothing, was using 90% of my installed memory, and that certainly shouldn't have been the case. A restart overnight has that down to 20%, and that one thing alone may account for the behaviors I saw. Once I do another launch to confirm, I'll let you know... as I said originally, I wasn't going to assume there was an actual problem, only that there may have been one.

Now that I think on it, that may not have been the best way to do this... usually I do all my troubleshooting before I tell anyone that there could be an issue. Need to go back to that method, I think. *shrug* I was tired...

OK - the memory was a large part of what I saw, but the launch clap behavior I described remains.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Multi-stage rocket using Asparagus Staging setup in a 4-Way arrangement. All five engines will fire at once (Stage 7 in my craft), 4 Launch Claps in Stage 8.

2. Countdown Setup at 4 Seconds to pre-ignite stage 7. GT Setup for a 130 Km (though I imagine this doesn't matter) orbit and initial guess.

3. Start Countdown. Stage 7 ignites as expected at 4 seconds.

4. At zero, engines go to full power. Launch clamp sounds are heard - launch claps remain in place, craft remains on Kerbin. Clamps still shown in staging view. Attempting to activate via spacebar jumps to stage 6, where two of my tanks are now detached.

During troubleshooting, also noted that NOT pre-igniting the engines per step 2 resulted in a normal launch.

Log File in case it's needed. Awaiting any instructions on how I can assist in pinning this down.

Craft File here so you can see my exact ship setup. Note that I do use parts from KWR, but I don't think that'll be a problem for you.

Edited by Shadriss

You need to reorder the staging.  You can't have the launch clamps stage BEFORE the engines.

But, doing what you just said, it worked fine for me.

So, I would suggest that the rocket be able to launch normally without the countdown clock.

Here is a short video showing two launches, the first with the out-of-order clamps, the second after I rearrange them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tqr1hm6ftgngb9/TestLaunch.mp4?dl=0

I tried with initially without using Gravity Turn, then I tried it with GT enabled 

I do see an exception in the log in Gravityturn, but not sure if that's relevant.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

You have a lot of mods installed, it's going to be hard to reproduce.

You will need to do some work:

First, make a totally clean install.  

Then, install the following mods ONLY:

• KWRocketry Rebalanced
  • Mechjeb
  • Gravity Turn
  • NASA Countdown Clock

Test it with this.  Assuming things are good, start adding in more mods until you have it happen again, or, it may not.  It's also possible, but NOT probable, that it is related to your save.

*shudder*

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Especially since CKAN doesn't work well with remembering what you already have installed for reinstallation - SO wish it worked more like ModOrganizer. I'll get to work on it and get back to you.

1 minute ago, Shadriss said:

*shudder*

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Especially since CKAN doesn't work well with remembering what you already have installed for reinstallation - SO wish it worked more like ModOrganizer. I'll get to work on it and get back to you.

Ckan can export a modlist which you can you as a referenct or to reinstall.

sorry about the work, but if I can’t reproduce it, I can’t  fix it.

No, don't get me wrong - I completely understand where you are coming from. Was just hoping it wouldn't come to that.

On something else you said though, concerning the staging setup I was using - as I understood the way the countdown works, it is essentially firing off an entire stage at X seconds... which means that if the clamps were in the same stage as the engines (my normal setup for launches), the clamps would go loose and the insufficient thrust would result the in the craft falling on it's butt, would it not? Or am I not understanding how this works w/ Countdown?

On 1/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

You have a lot of mods installed, it's going to be hard to reproduce.

You will need to do some work:

First, make a totally clean install.  

Then, install the following mods ONLY:

• KWRocketry Rebalanced
  • Mechjeb
  • Gravity Turn
  • NASA Countdown Clock

Test it with this.  Assuming things are good, start adding in more mods until you have it happen again, or, it may not.  It's also possible, but NOT probable, that it is related to your save.

Using a Sandbox game and the setup above, the problem persists. I tried the following alternative staging setups as well:

1) As originally posted. No change.

2) Moved clamps to the same stage as engines. As expected, the clamps released at the same time the engines were fired off - four seconds before the actual launch. The ship plummeted about 5 feet to the ground before launching normally at 0.

3. Placed clamps in stage above engines. Clamps never released.

New Output Log here.

3 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Using a Sandbox game and the setup above, the problem persists. I tried the following alternative staging setups as well:

1) As originally posted. No change.

2) Moved clamps to the same stage as engines. As expected, the clamps released at the same time the engines were fired off - four seconds before the actual launch. The ship plummeted about 5 feet to the ground before launching normally at 0.

3. Placed clamps in stage above engines. Clamps never released.

New Output Log here.

Could you do a video of it, please.  something isn't right, I don't know what yet

3 hours ago, flart said:

fraps (free), FSCapture (Commercial), or others

Thanks - ended up using the build in Shadowplay from nVidia's driver set. Speaking of which...

Here's the video, weighs in at just over 550 MB or so. Not gonna post it to YouTube or similar, since it's going away as soon as this discussion does. Of note - I realized at the third launch that I had not checked off the "Use Gravity Turn" selection. I went back (off-camera) and tried the first two again with it, and the results were identical.

@linuxgurugamer - just a ping at you to make sure you saw the above. Hadn't heard anything one way or the other since Monday, and wanted to be sure you knew the request had been filled.

As to the issue itself, if you can't find anything, no worries. Won't be the first time that something has been wonky on my end that wasn't explainable, and it likely won't be the last. Don't wanna give up the mod... but you do what you gotta do. Thanks for the efforts.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:09 PM, Shadriss said:

Thanks - ended up using the build in Shadowplay from nVidia's driver set. Speaking of which...

Here's the video, weighs in at just over 550 MB or so. Not gonna post it to YouTube or similar, since it's going away as soon as this discussion does. Of note - I realized at the third launch that I had not checked off the "Use Gravity Turn" selection. I went back (off-camera) and tried the first two again with it, and the results were identical.

I pointed this out before:

1. The clamps should be in the stage AFTER the engines, not before.  Not critical, but makes more sense, and needed if Gravity Turn is doing all the staging, including the initial engine firing
  2. You didn't select the clamps to release

Think about it like this:  the rocket needs to be able to launch without CountDown Clock and Gravity Turn, without a problem. The way you have it, the clamps would fire first, the rocket would fall and explode (if the fall was far enough).

You also didn't put the launch clamps into the Countdown Clock, so no wonder they aren't firing.  

Once the Countdown Clock fires the engines, it will HAVE to fire the clamps, Gravity Turn will not fire the clamps if the engines are firing.  So, watch my video again: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tqr1hm6ftgngb9/TestLaunch.mp4?dl=0

and notice that I select the clamps as the final step in the countdown.

Note that the numbers being shown in the Launch Sequence are off by 1 (ie:  the top line showing "1 second" should really be saying "0 second")

On 2/2/2018 at 5:00 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

You also didn't put the launch clamps into the Countdown Clock, so no wonder they aren't firing.  

Once the Countdown Clock fires the engines, it will HAVE to fire the clamps, Gravity Turn will not fire the clamps if the engines are firing. 

I somehow missed that the clamps needed to be in the staging selection as well - I think mostly based of other comments. So, as I suspected - it's me. Usually is. :/

Thanks for the time. I'll be over in the corner with a dunce cap on.

EDIT: Can now confirm that using a mod as intended results in mod working as intended. *facepalm*

Edited by Shadriss
Idiocy

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Get me the sound clips and I can put them in.  For that matter, you can do it for yourself, no code changes are needed

Really? Well, i'm launching a shuttle!

Edit: Discovered a problem with it, it uses OGG files and because i pretty much never have time to change the audio clip to OGG, i think it would be better to post it here(plus i think people would like a shuttle launch countdown) Audio starts at T-31 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ovrum62zd5s7yo6/AAD2CyW1hHmg4zzLiKdogIQKa?dl=0

Edited by ChickenBot448

5 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

Really? Well, i'm launching a shuttle!

Edit: Discovered a problem with it, it uses OGG files and because i pretty much never have time to change the audio clip to OGG, i think it would be better to post it here(plus i think people would like a shuttle launch countdown) Audio starts at T-31 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ovrum62zd5s7yo6/AAD2CyW1hHmg4zzLiKdogIQKa?dl=0

I don't have time to break this down, if someone else were to make the individual sound clips, I'd be able to integrate it.

• 2 weeks later...

@ChickenBot448 You asked for it, I wanted it, and happened to have a wee bit of free-time, Here's a Shuttle Countdown! 
Drop NASA_Countdown into GameData and it should plop it in there. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k1cYlL5Rzxi-WYkK8a9Oqe0ikVXyO0DE 
*(Yes, The liftoff audio cuts off at "And we have LiftOff!" I didn't feel that it'd be right to have the "Of the Space Shuttle Atlantis on a mission to resupply the ISS" As that's rather specific)*

By the way, Loving the mod so far @linuxgurugamer! That added bit of immersion is all that's needed to bring you into the world of KSP fully!

9 hours ago, Sixshot said:

@ChickenBot448 You asked for it, I wanted it, and happened to have a wee bit of free-time, Here's a Shuttle Countdown! 
Drop NASA_Countdown into GameData and it should plop it in there. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k1cYlL5Rzxi-WYkK8a9Oqe0ikVXyO0DE 
*(Yes, The liftoff audio cuts off at "And we have LiftOff!" I didn't feel that it'd be right to have the "Of the Space Shuttle Atlantis on a mission to resupply the ISS" As that's rather specific)*

By the way, Loving the mod so far @linuxgurugamer! That added bit of immersion is all that's needed to bring you into the world of KSP fully!

Thanks! The Shuttle works great and i don't mind that it cuts off at the end since i can barely hear the countdown after the rocket launches

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.