[1.12.x] NASA CountDown Clock Updated

linuxgurugamer

I needed a countdown for a video I was making, found this mod which hasn't been updated in a year, and the author, @belpyro, hasn't been around since January.  

Original thread is here:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/84692-nasa-countdown-v11b-113/

NASA CountDown updated f

The new version for KSP 1.4.1 has new dependencies

New Dependencies

Highly Recommended

• ModuleManager

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

yBTBBqw.jpg

This is a mod which continues a great mod LCD - Launch CountDown v1.7.2 idea.

Since Imgur albums are broken (again), here is what it now looks like:

Countdown Clock:

uwAATw9.png

Sound Selection:

c8UcpJg.png

Stage selection:

wgXb6Pe.png

After countdown is started:

V526j1x.png 

After doing a hold:

yv2S8nF.png

Example and How-To-Use:

https://youtu.be/gSZVLG_KpTw

Features

• Countdown visualization like NASA countdown
  • Last 10 seconds can be setup for custom stage launch
  • Stock Toolbar support
  • Engine control for realistic launch (if enabled, mod will set throttle to 1% on last 4 sec and set throttle to default on launch)
  • Save all user settings for each vessel
  • Check launch situation and execute abort action
  • Add custom sound set (see readme file)
  • Enable/disable sound (launch will start from 15 second if disabled)
  • Main window scale (from 0.2 to 1 scale factor)

New Features

• Saves settings for each vessel launched, so the next time the same vessel is launched, it will get the same settings
  • Uses craft name (vessel name in the Editor) to save settings, so that other mods which change the name after leaving the editor will not affect this

Download

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/LaunchCountdownEx

SpaceDock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1462

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

SNjFW7f.png

Unpack and copy GameFolder content into your KSP_LOCATION\GameData

or, use CKAN

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Maybe this is silly, but it would be really fun to have a Kerbal countdown option - ie backwards, speeded up Spanish

never mind, I didn't finish poking in the options before writing that

Edited by fourfa

New release, 1.3.1:

• Fixed clock position not being remembered.
  • Fixed issue with launch sound not being played properly (causing nullrefs)
  • Added Settings page
  • Added default Initial throttle
  • Added default Throttle
  • Added option to keep bottom buttons visible
  • Fixed issue with windows not staying in place.  Now window positions are saved 
  • Fixed version numbers in changelog

@linuxgurugamer Thank you for updating this fun mod. I have a few questions: 

- How can I "save all user settings for each vessel"? Does this mean I can save countdown settings for a certain vessel type between launches?

- Would it be possible to adjust the overall volume? I would like things to be just a little bit louder. :)

- I am not sure if other users are experiencing the same issue but I find that the seconds countdown is just a little slow. Definitely not like in the youtube video link in the op. Would it be possible to also adjust the speed of the countdown? I thought that maybe my vessel was too big and had too many parts which might have slowed down the countdown. However, I experienced the same slowness with a very basic and tiny rocket.

Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, Chaumas said:

How can I "save all user settings for each vessel"? Does this mean I can save countdown settings for a certain vessel type between launches

It does this automatically

I'll take a look at the countdown, but keep in mind, this is more for the experience than an actual countdown in seconds.

Now here's a hypothetical question dealing with the countdown clock and Mechjeb regarding "Timed" launches" (For example in order to meet up with a space station or a luanch window. to say another planet (Say DUna For example)

Would it be hypothetically easy or hard t do something like that?

Just a thought

Space_Coyote

2 hours ago, Space_Coyote said:

Now here's a hypothetical question dealing with the countdown clock and Mechjeb regarding "Timed" launches" (For example in order to meet up with a space station or a luanch window. to say another planet (Say DUna For example)

Would it be hypothetically easy or hard t do something like that?

Just a thought

Space_Coyote

hard, not going to happen, sorry

On 8/7/2017 at 6:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

It does this automatically

I'll take a look at the countdown, but keep in mind, this is more for the experience than an actual countdown in seconds.

Thanks for your reply @linuxgurugamer and your help.

Regarding the Saves, it does save the sound settings between launches (regardless of the ship) but it does not seem to save the launch sequence settings for the ships between launches. It only seems to keep the launch sequence settings when you click the "Revert to launch" button and not if you go to the VAB and back to the launchpad.

Regarding the countdown, I am getting an approximate 1.5-2 second lag between the seconds on the countdown clock and since the sound/voice sequence seems to be triggered by the countdown clock it stutters the fun immersion experience.

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

the problem is that it plays a sound and then waits a second.  I know what needs to be fixed, will get to it soon.

No idea about the saves, that will have to wait.  Open a github issue for each of these, please

Well, it's not that, but I happened to have found an interesting bug in the meantime (which I've fixed):

If an asteroid is found during a countdown, then the countdown was interrupted, sometimes with hilarious results

I'll release a fix this evening, waiting for a response to the following question:

12 hours ago, Chaumas said:

Regarding the countdown, I am getting an approximate 1.5-2 second lag between the seconds on the countdown clock and since the sound/voice sequence seems to be triggered by the countdown clock it stutters the fun immersion experience.

Which countdown are you getting a lag on?

I've been testing with the Apollo launch, using a handheld stopwatch, and it is exactly on time.

Are you using any sort of timewarp mods?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer Thank you for your replies. 

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

the problem is that it plays a sound and then waits a second.  I know what needs to be fixed, will get to it soon.

That's exactly it. There's about a 1 second wait before the next sound. Awesome and thanks for the fix!

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No idea about the saves, that will have to wait.  Open a github issue for each of these, please

I have never opened a github issue, can you please advise me on how to do so? Sorry for this very basic question...

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which countdown are you getting a lag on?

Are you using any sort of timewarp mods?

I have actually tried it out with all the different countdowns and have encountered the approximate 1 second wait that you mentioned in the previous post. I have the sound button/toggle enabled in the settings. I also do not have any timewarp mods installed. Thanks for your help!

Edited by Chaumas
Typo

18 minutes ago, Chaumas said:

I have never opened a github issue, can you please advise me on how to do so? Sorry for this very basic question...

Not so basic if you aren't familiar with software development

18 minutes ago, Chaumas said:

I have actually tried it out with all the different countdowns and have encountered the approximate 1 second wait that you mentioned in the previous post. I have the sound button/toggle enabled in the settings. I also do not have any timewarp mods installed. Thanks for your help!

Please try it again with the Apollo countdown, using a handheld stopwatch.  Start the stopwatch at the 35 second mark (I believe that is when the countdown starts), and at 0, record how far off it is from the actual.

I agree, when listening it sounds like there is a gap, but in reality, when I tried it, it was spot on.

I tried with the Apollo countdown and a stopwatch.

With "Sound Enabled" the countdown starts at the 38 second mark. I did 3 tests and each one took about 1 minute and 40 seconds.

I also did one test without the "Sound Enabled" button on where the countdown starts at the 15 second mark. This time it took me 40 seconds.

Ok, please try the dll in this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncggyvlbaxfssii/NASACountDownDebugDLL.zip?dl=0

It has a possible fix, and some additional debugging.  Just replace the dll in the current NASACountDown/Plugins folder with this and try it again, please send me the log when you have finished.

Thanks

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, please try the dll in this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncggyvlbaxfssii/NASACountDownDebugDLL.zip?dl=0

It has a possible fix, and some additional debugging.  Just replace the dll in the current NASACountDown/Plugins folder with this and try it again, please send me the log when you have finished.

Thanks

@Chaumas  did you see this, and have you tried it yet?

@linuxgurugamer I tried it out. It is better and smoother than before. The seconds seem to flow more smoothly. There is still some lag with the sound/voice.

I did the test with the Apollo setting under the same exact conditions as you previously requested. This time it took the 38 second countdown 1 minute and 31 seconds to complete.

Player log: https://we.tl/W2roq9Kn9B

Thank you!

Well, according to the log, the countdown was 0.74 seconds longer than real time, after a 38 second countdown.

This is using the  Planetarium.GetUniversalTime();, which is the in-game clock.  So it seems that your clock is running slowly, That could be for any number of reasons, but it's not this mod.

Sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.