Moving modules from spaceplane to station

What seemed straightforward to me when I was using a rocket was to give each module RCS thrusters, a bit of mono (or more), a probe core and MechJeb, as I detached each module I'd fly them close and then have Jeb dock them. Worked fine.

However I'm now trying to use an OPT spaceplane, and when I try to take off with three modules in the bays bound for the station, I start the spaceplane engines and the throttle goes instantly to zero; engines on but zero thrust and the throttle won't respond to any command.

If I take the HECS/OKTO units off all of the modules, the spaceplane now starts and takes off normally. I'm assuming for some reason with the probe cores in place (one of which has a Terrier for later Kerbin return), it's getting confused as to which vehicle is the master and which ones are just being carried.

What's the best way to do this? TIA

@vossiewulf, I don't if mods are causing your issues (if so, I'll be of no help), but for standard gameplay, just right-click wherever you want to control the ship from (I'll assume the cockpit since you said it's a spaceplane) and select "control from here". Then, right-click on your two probe cores and select "hibernation" until it says "on". They are effectively shut off now, and will not attempt to control the ship. You'll have to remember to shut hibernation off after you detach them later. Then just make sure your staging is right and, most important of all, make sure you hit the z button. :)

Very good idea and duh, I knew that hibernation was there!

Tragically, however, it didn't work. Still was a good thought. Anyone else have any ideas why this would happen?

If nothing else I guess I can store them separately in KIS containers and attach them in orbit before detaching the modules from the spaceplane.

It's not the probe cores, it's the standard MechJeb 1970s transistor radio units. If one is attached to this plane anywhere, engines start but are stuck at 0%.

I asked here as I wasn't sure if this was some known general thing, but it's looking more specific to OPT (since I haven't seen this elsewhere) so I'll go ask over in the OPT thread. Thanks Captain.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly tangentially to the question, but when I build space stations I tend to send up a space-tug early on which is left at the station. Basically just a probe core, batteries, reaction wheels, solar panels and RCS/fuel. Any additional modules can then be sent up as dumb objects. The carrier/launch vehicle gets parked at a safe distance, and then the mini-tug is deployed to collect the module and move it to its final position.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.