What can this ship do in jool system?

Album a/zOp13 will appear when post is submitted

The mothership has 3300m/s dv in there, but the capture burn (I'm using Laythe gravity assist) will eat some chunk of it (1500m/s if I choose to park at low Laythe orbit, 700m/s if I put its AP near at bob's orbit)

it has a lander in it with 2200m/s dv but can't reenter, so only body I can land will be bob and pol (and vall?) and mothership has fuel for it to refuel it twice (mothership DV calcualted this fuel loaded, but not using it)

P.S do you think this ship can withstand areobrakes? (at laythe or when I back to kerbin)

Edited by omelaw

You should be able to do the Bop transfer for essentially free. Tweak your trajectory right after you enter Jool's SOI and you'll be surprised at the variety of orbits you can get.

Regarding aerobraking, I think you'd be fine but better than that, I suggest you quicksave and try it, especially because there are no in game tools to predict what will happen after the braking.

Have you already reached Jool? The reason I ask is that, if you catch Tylo (or Laythe as well) on the backside of Jool (when the moon is on the retrograde side of Jool's orbit around the sun), you will capture without any burn at all. This is one of the best things about going to Jool. You can plan for this in your design, and take advantage of the savings. Your ship is already built, obviously, but it looks just fine to me. I don't use the Nerv, so I'm not as familiar with it, but I think I'd forget about Laythe. The cost isn't worth it. I'd just run experiments and EVA on the way through. After passing through, you can also easily get a rendezvous with Vall and Tylo for flyby science grabbing (they're actually tough to avoid). 

To me, Pol or Bop should be your goal. With what you have for your lander, you could mine either moon for all the science it has. You should be able to return to Kerbin with your first Jool mission a resounding success. And when you do, I'd forget the aerobrake. If your ship isn't designed for it, you'll have to stay so high that the result will be small and not worth the risk. Remember that you'll be doing the Jool-dive, and moving extremely fast. Easily doable with a shield, but most likely disastrous without one.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

Assuming this is your first trip to Jool's system and you are here for the science then I suggest ignoring landing initially. There is lots of science to be earned from high and low flybys of as many of the moons as you can manage. When you have done that then see what fuel you have left to get your lander down and back up at one or two of the moons. 

As you have a lab onboard I'm guessing that your plan is to process the science locally rather than return it, so you could forget about saving dV for a return. You could always send a crew collection mission later if you like or leave the crew around a handy moon as crew of a science station to process future landing missions. 

@omelaw:

With 2200 m/s in the lander, then assuming you can get the mothership into close orbit of Vall, you can land and return from there.  I'd advise against hopping around, though.  You can visit Pol and Bop without trouble.

With the right gravity assist, you won't need aerocapture, and that's a good thing; for the amount of fuel it saves, you may not leave yourself enough delta-V to go that far down the gravity well and climb back out again if you want to land on three of the moons as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.