Been building a couple of plane for JRA's retro fighter tournament

A guy called Jolly Rogers is doing a Youtube tournament of world war 2 styled planes. The tournament starts 2 weeks from now, you can see the tournament rules here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEUPxoH1ig

I've been building some fighters and testing them, and actually came out with some pretty fun dogfighting footage. Maybe someone is up for a bit of pre-season warmup? I'm always itching for a fight:cool:

Here's one of my planes: https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Do-335-Werwolf

GwVfOzD.jpg?1

Here's some footage of my prototypes in combat testing: (Can't view on mobile devices because damn Japs copyrighted their WW2 battle songs:mad:)

Edited by goduranus

Ayyyyyy, I'm up for a bit of carnage.

Setting it up against mine right now.

Welp.... I need a redesign.

I'm Back. With a vengeance.

They are quite evenly matched though. Needs some more tweaking.

Edited by qzgy

Welp.... I might be leaking and screwing something up, but here's something to play with.

LzvsHfi.png

https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Mosquito-Type-2

Currently set on team A, as a note.

BTW, these things absolutely murder your dorniers. Think I've got them dialed in just right. Especially since I've been trying to beat these things and the only way so far is to set them up against 4 smaller fighters.

Edited by qzgy

Damn..... I need to either build a better thing or play with the AI.....

Also - do you remember ASC? It was a competition a little while back, King of the hill style. Quite fun. Would be nice to reboot in some form.

Edited by qzgy

It was from about a year ago. I guess you might have.

Here is number 4. Kinda dropped off in april. Originally run by inigma, it kinda fell off after that.

Edited by qzgy

I think making Shindens turn sharper at a lower speed so their engine stay near the peak of the power curve made them better. I used to tune them to turn gently like jets where thrust power get higher the faster you go, but apparently with props the highest thrust power (speed X thrust) is around 70m/s for most props and 100m/s for the Bumblebee engine. 

You might be right.

Looking at the thrust, it peaks when in a turn. But also it might be because of how well balanced they are, and how well they track.

Aha! I dreamed up some improvement to the Shinden while I was sleeping, and made some major upgrades:

Removed canards, doubled engines, added a bit more wing area and reduced drag. Although its takeoff and landing performance are abysmal now due to removal of flaps. But once it gets into the air it's pretty good, if I may say so myself.

Now it's supermaneuverable, able to control attitude at up to 95 degrees AoA in pitch and 45 degrees AoA in yaw on wings alone, without reaction wheels. Also put that pesky RTG requirement into a drop tank, dumped after takeoff to reduce weight. Engines are also warmed up automatically upon activating competition mode, so there's no need to Spacebar during setup. Although, brakes still need to be manually enabled.

Although it reliably beats the Shinden, it seems to be slightly outmatched by the Mosquito, maybe it's luck in those few rounds but maybe there's a rock-paper-scissors thing.

5INzlpS.jpg

Wut? No world war 2 planes were like this. Well it's a blend of J7W and XP-56.

hTT9KcE.jpg

Will post links after the tournament starts or if someone is really interested in fighting it. 

Edited by goduranus

I've been also working on trying to beat that shinden. The problem seems to be that the AI doesn't want to make my planes turn, unlike yours, which turns really nicely.

I have had some rounds where it beat the shinden, but only just.

BTW, do you know when the tournament starts?

Edit: hehe, I can't count. 14th

Edited by qzgy

Made an even better version, pretty confident about it now. Used a less modern looking cockpit, greatly reduced moment of inertia and also added some new bells and whistles like drop tanks that eject at the last moment, a radar to let you see which target it's picked, and a guncam to let you see if it's hit something even when you're looking elsewhere.

Here's the new plane "A7 Sanka" testing against Mosquito 2

Edited by goduranus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.