In much the same spirit of @Bottle Rocketeer 500's rather-popular "Doing It Orion Style" challenge, I decided to put together a similar challenge featuring sequential missions, building up from the launch of the Falcon 1 through the present and beyond. But, since Elon also owns Tesla, some steps in the challenge will include building all-electric vehicles to match the Model X, the Model S, and the Model 3. 

To add variety to the challenge, I'm also going to include planned-but-never-flown configurations like Falcon 1e and Falcon 5. For each mission, I'll do my best to provide a set of mission requirements which are specific enough to make it interesting and challenging but not so specific as to make it arbitrary or time-consuming. Missions are optional; you can choose a single one, skip around, or do them all one by one in sequence.

Possible missions (I won't do all these but it's a sampling of possibilities based on demand):

1. Falcon 1
  2. Falcon 1e
  3. Tesla Roadster
  4. Falcon 5
  5. Falcon 5R 
  6. Falcon Air
  7. Tesla Model S
  8. Falcon 9v1.0 Dragon 1
  9. Falcon 9v1.0 Dragon 1 + comsat, engine-out
  10. Falcon 9v1.1 Cargo (polar, soft splashdown)
  11. Falcon 9v1.1 Cargo to KTO
  12. Falcon 9R Dragon (soft splashdown)
  13. Falcon 9R Cargo to Kerbin Escape (soft splashdown)
  14. Tesla Model X
  15. Dragon 2 launch abort test
  16. Falcon 9R Dragon (ASDS attempt)
  17. Falcon 9 FT Cargo (RTLS landing)
  18. Falcon 9 FT Cargo GTO (ASDS attempt)
  19. Falcon 9 FT Dragon (ASDS landing)
  20. Falcon 9 FT expendable (fairing recovery)
  21. Falcon 9 FT with X-47B
  22. Tesla Model 3
  23. Falcon Heavy Demo
  24. Falcon 9 Block 5 with Dragon 2
  25. Dragon 2 max-Q abort
  26. Falcon Heavy Constellation
  27. Falcon 9 Crew
  28. Falcon Heavy: Grey Dragon
  29. Falcon Heavy: Red Dragon

If there's some interest, I'll get started on the requirements for the first few missions!

General rules:

• Tweakscale is allowed
  • Readout mods are allowed
  • Piloting mods are not allowed
  • Unbreakable Joints and No Crash Damage are allowed for propulsive landing attempts
  • Part mods which alter tankage ratios or engine performance are not allowed
  • No reaction control wheels are allowed
  • You must use the same engine for all first stages, so plan accordingly. The engine you choose will start with low thrust and be uprated over time.
  • Scoring is based on lowest LV dry mass.

EDIT: Missions below!

Spoiler

Falcon 1

Spoiler

Use an unmanned two-stage vehicle to launch a >200-kg payload of your choice into LKO. Each stage may have only have one engine, and no aerodynamic control surfaces are allowed. The first-stage engine must be thrust-limited to 40% and the upper-stage engine must be thrust-limited to 70%. The upper-stage engine isp cannot exceed 320 seconds. The upper stage may use monopropellant thrusters, but only for roll control. The first stage should have a probe core and parachutes for an attempted recovery (successful recovery not required). The second stage should have a probe core and be deorbited.

Falcon 1e

Spoiler

Use an unmanned two-stage vehicle to launch a >1000-kg relaysat into LKO. You must use the same engines and stage diameter as you used in Falcon 1, but the first stage should be longer. The first-stage engine must be thrust-limited to 45%; the upper-stage engine does not need to be thrust-limited. The upper-stage engine isp cannot exceed 320 seconds. The upper stage may use monopropellant thrusters, but only for roll control. The first stage should have a probe core and parachutes and must be recovered fully intact.

Tesla Roadster

Spoiler

Build the fastest possible all-electric two-command-seat vehicle with gullwing doors. No solar panels or RTGs; battery power only.

Falcon 5

Spoiler

Upgrade time! Build a larger-diameter two-stage launch vehicle with five engines on the first stage (one in the center and four around it) and two engines on the second stage. The first and second stage engines must match the ones you used on Falcon 1e. No aerodynamic control surfaces are allowed. No RCS. This will be your first KTO launch; send a >1000-kg relaysat (preferably the same one you launched for Falcon 1e) to a stable orbit with an apoapse over 2,900 km with its own propulsion bus to circularize. The propulsion bus counts as part of the payload mass. The relaysat must circularize in Kerbisynchronous Equatorial Orbit.

Note that the stage diameter you choose will be the same stage diameter for Falcon 9, so plan accordingly.

The first stage interstage should contain a probe core and parachutes for an attempted recovery, but successful recovery is not required.

Falcon 5R

Spoiler

The upgraded Falcon 5R was to be the world's first fully-reusable orbital rocket. Use the same five-engine configuration as you used for the Falcon 5, but the engine thrust may be uprated to 50%. The two engines on the upper stage should be replaced by a single engine with thrust equal to or greater than each of the first-stage engines; it should also be thrust-limited to 50%. Both stages should contain parachutes and you should add a heat shield to the upper stage; both stages should have a probe core and be recovered via splashdown.

The payload should be an unmanned power and propulsion bus (probe core, solar panels, radiators, batteries, reaction wheels, RCS) with docking nodes on either side and must be launched into low Kerbin orbit > 120 km with an inclination greater than 15 degrees. Total payload must be greater than 5 tonnes. This is the first hub of a space station you will use for later missions.

Falcon Air

Spoiler

Partnership with Stratolaunch! Take the Falcon 5R and remove the central engine (four engines total). Add winglets for aerodynamic control to the first stage and air-launch using a manned turbofan aircraft powered only by Goliaths. Both stages should have recovery hardware and attempts but do not need to be successfully recovered; the carrier aircraft must be landed back at KSC.

The payload should mass over 4 tonnes and carry an atmospheric sampling instrument. It should be powered solely by monopropellant and be capable of dipping into the atmosphere multiple times from a polar orbit (apogee > 500 km). It should be able to send data back to KSC.

Tesla Model S

Spoiler

Build a four-seat all-electric gullwing vehicle with the greatest possible range. Should have a top speed no less than 75% of the Tesla Roadster. No solar panels or RTGs; battery power only.

Falcon 9v1.0: Dragon

Spoiler

Time for the Dragon to fly!

Design a probe or unmanned capsule capable of docking with the station core you launched using Falcon 5R. It needs omnidirectional RCS thrusters and fuel tanks of the same type as your station, a heat shield, and parachutes. It should carry internal batteries but also carry a service module/trunk which can carry at least one secondary payload and supplies solar power for the probe. The probe can be as small as you want it to be.

Convert your Falcon 5R into a Falcon 9, removing all recovery hardware and adding four more engines to the first stage. The first stage should be stretched, but the upper stage should remain the same, with the same engine and tank size.

Use your Falcon 9 to launch Dragon into an orbit matching your station core, then detach the upper stage, deorbit it, and use Dragon's omnidirectional RCS thrusters to rendezvous with your station. Test docking, refuel the station core if possible/necessary, and then undock and deorbit. Jettison your SM/trunk, re-enter, and successfully splash down.

Edited by sevenperforce

7 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sevenperforce The requirements seem to be too realistic to do easily.

I tested Falcon 1, Falcon 1e, and Falcon 5 with boilerplate payloads and it was a cinch.

I highly recommend using a gimbal-limited Vector as your primary engine, tweakscaled down slighly if you have Tweakscale. At 40% thrust-limit, it has NO trouble getting Falcon 1 into orbit with plenty of fuel to spare. I'm using a tweakscaled Swivel as my replacement for the Kestrel on the upper stage, but YMMV.

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 @CaptainTrebor @DunaManiac @53miner53 @Physics Student @Nefrums @foobar @HiThere!2 @Spaceman17

As proof that this challenge is readily doable, here's Falcon 1 and Falcon 1e:

Falcon 1:

Spoiler

screenshot01.png

Thrust-limited first stage engine, tweakscaled down.

screenshot02.png

Thrust-limited upper-stage engine, also tweakscaled down.

screenshot03.png

Low TWR at liftoff.

screenshot04.png

Still climbing. No control surfaces does make this tricky.

screenshot06.png

Easing into gravity turn.

screenshot09.png

Doing better now.

screenshot11.png

Closeup showing thrust structure.

screenshot12.png

Nearing burnout with quite a bit of downrange speed.

screenshot13.png

Separation and S2 ignition!

screenshot14.png

I have some chutes on the first stage; let's see if I can recover.

screenshot16.png

Tumbling wildly.

screenshot17.png

Re-entry heat.

screenshot19.png

More re-entry heat, but I don't think the engine will burn up. The trouble will be whether I'll slow down enough to deploy my drogues safely.

screenshot20.png

Nope!

screenshot21.png

Oh well, better luck next time!

screenshot22.png

Back to the upper stage. Pitching down significantly to keep from lofting too high.

screenshot24.png

Still burning toward orbit.

screenshot25.png

Good apoapsis.

screenshot28.png

Fairing deployed, sat comm out, circularizing.

screenshot29.png

Circularized! Falcon 1 has reached orbit for the first time!

screenshot30.png

Separation.

screenshot31.png

All systems operational!

screenshot33.png

Burning to deorbit.

screenshot37.png

Good bit of propellant left; this has a lot of margin.

screenshot43.png

Surprisingly low impact speed! Might be easier to recover the upper stage than the lower stage. Not exactly the same as RL, of course, because heat shields...

Falcon 1e:

Spoiler

screenshot0.png

Relay sat over one tonne.

screenshot01.png

Same upper-stage engine but with improved thrust; this is effectively the "Kestrel 2".

screenshot02.png

Uprated thrust on the "Merlin", same thrust structure, taller first stage tank.

screenshot03.png

Still low TWR at liftoff.

screenshot06.png

Downrange and climbing.

screenshot07.png

Approaching MECO...

screenshot08.png

MECO with residuals this time.

screenshot09.png

Second stage away! Higher thrust makes it nice and energetic.

screenshot10.png

Transferring residuals to the lowermost tank to ensure retrograde re-entry. Going to try and use this fuel to slow down mid-entry to drogue speeds.

screenshot11.png

Not too much heat, but VERY speedy.

screenshot12.png

Starting the retroburn. Don't know if I have enough to hit drogue-safe speeds.

screenshot14.png

Drogues out!

screenshot15.png

Mains out.

screenshot16.png

Coming down at very nice speeds.

screenshot18.png

Splashdown successful!

screenshot19.png

Kinda started sinking like a rock...oh well, it's still technically recoverable!

screenshot20.png

Back to the upper stage. Lowered thrust to refine orbit.

screenshot22.png

Easing in.

screenshot24.png

Fairing deployed.

screenshot26.png

Circularizing!

screenshot31.png

Deployment!

screenshot33.png

Just for fun, I'm using the onboard engines to increase inclination as much as possible to improve relaysat coverage.

screenshot34.png

Not too bad.

screenshot36.png

Deorbit burn!

screenshot39.png

Re-entry.

screenshot48.png

Splashdown!

I've also done Falcon 5 and Falcon 5R, but I want to see other designs before I post them.

3 hours ago, Physics Student said:

Well, I just started out with RSS/RO. Let's see what I can do, probably not the recovery missions.

Nice! If you're doing it with RSS/RO, it may prove a little too difficult, so you can relax some of the engine thrust requirements.

37 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Nice! If you're doing it with RSS/RO, it may prove a little too difficult, so you can relax some of the engine thrust requirements.

Thrust limiting doesn't work in RO and you have to search for engines capable of throttling. I think I'll look for the real configs of SpaceX Engines and try to replicate the real rockets as close as possible. Not in the next two weeks though, I'll be on vacation.

Edited by Physics Student

Falcon 9v1.0 with Dragon is posted, and here is Falcon 5 for your viewing pleasure!

Falcon 5:

Spoiler

screenshot000.png

Here's the one-tonne relaysat with xenon and power for circularization.

screenshot00.png

Didn't get the fairing shape quite the way I wanted it.

screenshot01.png

Very low TWR at liftoff. Can't wait to get uprated engines. 

screenshot02.png

Gradual ascent.

screenshot04.png

Had to play around with the ascent to get the right kind of curve.

screenshot06.png

Closeup of Falcon 5 thrust structure.

screenshot07.png

Nearing burnout.

screenshot08.png

Pretty hot at staging, but I wanted to get the upper stage moving as fast as possible, as horizontal as possible.

screenshot09.png

First stage tumbling. I'm going to do a landing attempt but it may or may not actually land.

screenshot11.png

Got down to a safe speed for drogue deployment without requiring a retroburn!

screenshot12.png

Mains out.

screenshot13.png

Still coming down pretty fast.

screenshot15.png

Will this be slow enough?

screenshot16.png

Nope! Hard splashdown. Looks like I need more chutes for a successful recovery.

Anyway, back to the upper stage!

screenshot19.png

Closeup of the Falcon 5 thrust structure with dual Kestrel 2 engines, identical to the ones used on the Falcon 1e (compare).

screenshot20.png

This is a GTO launch so I'll just let my apoapsis keep going higher and higher.

screenshot22.png

Nearing space, orbital velocities.

screenshot23.png

Fairing jettisoned, throttled down.

screenshot25.png

Orbit achieved! Entering coast period.

screenshot26.png

Testing systems.

screenshot27.png

KTO transfer burn node set.

screenshot29.png

Upper stage restart!

screenshot30.png

Burning to injection.

screenshot31.png

Throttling finely.

screenshot32.png

Nice high apoapsis!

screenshot33.png

Payload sep! Upper stage deorbit not shown, but it happened (see plenty of fuel reserves above).

screenshot37.png

Testing ion engine.

screenshot41.png

After a little adjustment, I determined that setting the thrust limiter at 57.5% matches insolation power. This allowed me to set a maneuvering node to move my argument of periapsis just beyond the ascending node of inclination (the Mun is at 0 degrees inclination so this helps when setting up kerbostationary equatorial orbit).

screenshot43.png

Now that I'm almost to kerbostationary altitude, I've set my circularization node and I'm burning gradually to circularize and change inclination.

screenshot44.pngscreenshot45.png

Almost there!

screenshot50.png

Wrapping up...

screenshot51.png

Done!

screenshot52.png

And here we are. Nice placement, too.

Edited by sevenperforce

Okay, I got Falcon 1 after a whole lot of trial and error.

QfG2MUG.jpg

I added some extra tanks to give it more fuel and let it be more bottom heavy. 

g0plB2Q.jpg

And now passing Max-Q

LKYOjwZ.jpg

And now we are performing our orbital insertion burn

PljqLqp.jpg

Tada! Andyway, after a bit of course correcting, we finally reached a stable orbit.

VYgXcBN.jpg

Anyway, About the first stage, After reentry and deploying the Aerobrakes, the parachutes safely deploy.

0v8wk3n.jpg

And Parachutes fully deployed! And...
u1gSHKl.jpg

9tgsooi.jpg

Touchdown! As you can see, nothing blew up. Very Surprising.

Meanwhile, back to the probes.

UD4FEes.jpg

Away! My beautiful cube sat! Away!

And separation of my main probe.

QsVayuz.jpg

And the second stage falls down,

iDNzSMQ.jpg

To it's destruction!

49eKZen.jpg

I hope this was a good entry! Bye :wink:

Back again with Falcon 1E! As you can see the thrust limiter is 45, and the stage is longer!

0RF2eNC.jpg

And into the air!

aQWshy8.jpg

First stage out.

Qjz3JNK.jpg

Orbital Inserstion...

DTJEFMm.jpg

In case you were wondering about the stage, it landed.

zrGzuO1.jpg

YJgnYdY.jpg

And back up in orbit, the Probe seperates and the debri returns to Kerbin.

0jypUfC.jpg

twaMVLg.jpg

aUStKgK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All right -- here are my entries for Falcon 5R and Falcon Air!

Falcon 5R:

Spoiler

screenshot0.png

Space Station propulsion and power core under larger fairing, with the RCS thrusters on the upper stage set to roll control only for ascent.

screenshot1.png

Upgrade! In place of the two Kestrels, this is my version of the Merlin Vacuum. Note thrust limiter and scale. Recovery hardware for both stages is visible in this shot.

screenshot2.png

Simplified, lighter thrust structure, and uprated engines.

screenshot3.png

Liftoff is anemic, as usual for these early rockets.

screenshot4.png

Takes a bit to get up to a meaningful speed.

screenshot6.png

Clipping along steadily!

screenshot9.png

Staging.

screenshot10.png

First stage is coming back for "re-entry" though it never actually exited the atmosphere.

screenshot11.png

No heating, really.

screenshot12.png

Drogues out. I tried this a few times and you REALLY need the drogues or you rip it apart.

screenshot13.png

Mains popped before drogues open completely.

screenshot14.png

Should be a survivable impact speed.

screenshot17.png

Success!

screenshot18.png

And she floats.

screenshot19.png

Back to the upper stage!

screenshot21.png

Carefully controlling inclination on ascent.

screenshot23.png

Popped my fairing.

screenshot25.png

Got my apoapsis where I want it, so I'll warp around to circularize.

screenshot26.png

Power array out.

screenshot27.png

Burning to circularize.

screenshot28.png

There you have it!

screenshot32.png

Now to deorbit.

screenshot36.png

I only tried recovery once...

screenshot39.png

Very wobbly on entry; the heavy single engine throws off the CoM.

screenshot40.png

Made it through! Chutes out.

screenshot41.png

Descending rapidly.

screenshot43.png

Slowed to a nice speed.

screenshot44.png

Splashdown!

screenshot47.png

Final shot of the station core.

Falcon Air:

Spoiler

Stratolaunch time! There were a range of options with this one...

screenshot0.png

First, here's the atmo-skimming monoprop-powered probe.

screenshot1.png

Full rig on the runway.

screenshot2.png

Closer view. The payload is slung underneath, strutted in carefully, with an off-axis cockpit.

screenshot3.png

Tail view of the launch vehicle, showing the vastly different thrust structure and the winglets. Compare: Z43.jpg

screenshot4.png

Taking off. Fuel appears low because a lot of my parts were fuel-carrying and I didn't need nearly that much.

screenshot6.png

Liftoff at a fairly low speed.

screenshot7.png

Going to make a 270-degree turn to head due south over KSC.

screenshot9.png

Continuing the turn, with a nice shot of the Falcon Air LV.

screenshot11.png

Completing the turn, still climbing and gaining speed. The turn will allow me to still be fairly close to the runway when I drop the bird.

screenshot14.png

Leveling off to climb.

screenshot15.png

Nearing drop speed/altitude.

screenshot24.png

Falcon Air away!

screenshot16.png

With the payload dropped, I'm banking hard around to RTLS.

screenshot17.png

Just breaking supersonic, for the fun of it.

screenshot18.png

Approach.

screenshot19.png

Correction. I hate landing planes. I really, really do.

screenshot20.png

Uh-oh.

screenshot23.png

Well, I didn't manage to hit the runway, but at least I put her down!

Now, back to the Falcon Air.

screenshot25.png

Engines ignited, pitching up as hard as I can without stalling.

screenshot26.png

Slowly dragging up the prograde marker.

screenshot28.png

This took a lot of retrying to get right. If it's this hard to air-launch in KSP, I can see why virtually no one wants to try it IRL.

screenshot30.png

Much closer to where I want to be, now.

screenshot32.png

Well, I can say this -- air-launching certainly makes a difference in staging velocity. Though, to be fair, I'm using a smaller payload.

screenshot34.png

Burnout.

screenshot35.png

Staging and prep for re-entry.

screenshot36.png

Not too hot, really.

screenshot37.png

Drogues out. Will it work?

screenshot41.png

Nope. The mains wouldn't open. Oh well!

screenshot42.png

Upper stage is powering on to orbit.

screenshot43.png

Lining up my polar inclination.

screenshot44.png

Still using the RCS thrusters for roll control only.

screenshot45.png

Fairing away!

screenshot48.png

That's a nice orbit.

screenshot50.png

Payload attached to US.

screenshot51.png

Circularized enough to prepare for skimming missions.

screenshot54.png

Time to see if the upper stage can be recovered.

screenshot56.png

This should be a nice harsh entry, especially from such a high apoapse.

screenshot58.png

And a lot of remaining fuel to boot, making it less draggy than it should be.

screenshot59.png

Can I hold retrograde?

screenshot60.png

Apparently not.

screenshot64.png

Sooooo close to overheating...

screenshot65.png

Well, the heat shield was useless.

screenshot66.png

But somehow I made it through without the heat shield!

screenshot67.png

Chutes popped.

screenshot70.png

Final descent...

screenshot74.png

Aaaand....

screenshot75.png

Made it!

screenshot76.png

Now to try out my atmosphere skimmer.

screenshot80.png

Not much drag or atmosphere at this altitude. I'll try lower on the next pass.

screenshot88.png

Recharged my batteries; now I gotta stow these panels.

screenshot92.png

Much lower. The heat shield is actually being used. Doesn't look like I got any different readout, though. Oh well!

screenshot93.png

Each time I do this, I have to fire my monoprop engines to keep from losing apoapse altitude.

screenshot95.png

Hanging out in slightly higher polar orbit!

All right, here's Falcon 9 (v1.0) with Dragon 1! I'm pretty proud of this, honestly; the Dragon 1 looks very, very close to the real thing. 

screenshot1.png

Dragon with omnidirectional bipropellant RCS thrusters, trunk, solar panels, and upper stage.

screenshot2.png

Added four engines to the Falcon 5 configuration to make a Falcon 9; otherwise identical.

screenshot4.png

Launching at night for rendezvous.

screenshot5.png

Fairly slow ascent, as before. TWR is hurting with the same thrust limitation as the Falcon 5; I have almost twice as much thrust but a heavier first stage and a MUCH heavier payload.

screenshot6.png

Gravity turn proceeds slowly. Trying to get a match to space station inclination early.

screenshot7.png

Obligatory "almost-to-MaxQ-but-not-quite" shot.

screenshot10.png

Closer to burnout. Once first-stage fuel drops below about 30%, acceleration REALLY ramps up. 

screenshot11.png

Here's staging! As you can see, TWR at staging is >1, which is expected. Of course, given Kerbin's precipitous drop in gravity, it's not going to hurt me here.

screenshot13.png

Ascending rapidly, but I've already adjusted to continue trying to target the station.

screenshot14.png

Reached apoapsis outside of the atmosphere, so that's one milestone.

screenshot17.png

Blew off the "capsule" nosecone. Now it looks even more like a Dragon 1.

screenshot21.png

Using my target to set up circularization.

screenshot22.png

First shot of Dragon 1 and the F9 upper stage in orbit.

screenshot23.png

One more intercept to match orbits.

screenshot26.png

S2 ignition to match.

screenshot28.png

Stage separation. 

screenshot30.png

Extending the solar panels on the D1.

screenshot33.png

Using thrusters to match orbital speed.

screenshot36.png

Continuing the approach. It's a bit rough without proper reaction wheels.

screenshot37.png

Very close now.

screenshot39.png

Nice clear shot of final approach.

screenshot40.png

Docked!

screenshot41.png

Refuelling the attitude control tanks on the station core.

screenshot43.png

Separated from the station core. Everything went according to plan!

screenshot45.png

Deorbit burn.

screenshot46.png

This was a very narrow window to come down where I wanted to come down.

screenshot48.png

Separating from the trunk. This, I think, is the biggest problem with the D1 and D2 designs from SpaceX. Solar panels are hella expensive! Why would you throw away solar panels?

screenshot50.png

Re-entry impending; drag is already starting to pull the trunk away.

screenshot52.png

Starting to see heat.

screenshot54.png

Very hot now.

screenshot55.png

I decided to turn off SAS and use RCS to send myself into a tumble, just to see whether my design is aerodynamically self-correcting.

screenshot56.png

Still tumbling!

screenshot57.png

Aaaaaaand success! It looks like my design is pretty good at self-orienting for re-entry. Good to know.

screenshot58.png

Almost done with re-entry.

screenshot59.png

Free-fall now.

screenshot60.png

Drogues out.

screenshot61.png

Closeup of the chute attachments.

screenshot62.png

Drogues are expanded to full.

screenshot63.png

Popping the mains.

screenshot66.png

Keeping both the mains and the drogues attached, just to be conservative.

screenshot67.png

Nearing splashdown...

screenshot71.png

Aaaaaaand down!

screenshot73.png

I made it! Kinda low, since I didn't burn off much of my RCS fuel, but that's ok. There's Dragon 1, back finally!

Edited by sevenperforce

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.