[1.3.1] Rescale! Comprehensive SD Configs [1.0.2.8] [03 Dec 2017]

Galileo

12 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

Well damn. Any idea about how reentry heat should be adjusted for 6.4x?

I have no idea.  I've never played at 6.4x and I've never used DRE.  As far as I know, no adjustment is made - you just need to budget in more ablator.

I suggest you ask that question in the KScale64 or RSS threads, where the participants likely have more experience playing at those larger scales.

2 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

Well damn. Any idea about how reentry heat should be adjusted for 6.4x?

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

It’s all dependent on how the atmosphere is designed as far as I know. @OhioBob may be able to shine a light on this better than I could

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I have no idea.  I've never played at 6.4x and I've never used DRE.  As far as I know, no adjustment is made - you just need to budget in more ablator.

I suggest you ask that question in the KScale64 or RSS threads, where the participants likely have more experience playing at those larger scales.

if you find out please let me know, I have been going crazy over that particular issue

I started a game with 2.5x, and keep getting bad contracts:

All rescue missions spawn with an altitude still in the atmosphere (usually between 80 and 82km.  space doesnt start till 91km), and cannot rendezvous because orbits degrade as soon as i get in range.

is this something i can fix?

59 minutes ago, TK421d said:

All rescue missions spawn with an altitude still in the atmosphere (usually between 80 and 82km.  space doesnt start till 91km), and cannot rendezvous because orbits degrade as soon as i get in range.

Are these stock contracts or are you playing with some contracts mod?

6 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Are these stock contracts or are you playing with some contracts mod?

stock contracts, only custom packs are cleversat and bases and stations

just accepted all the kerbin-rescues available, 2/3 actually spawned at 91 and 94km this time, but this one the lowest yet:

2z2Zs5o.jpg

Edited by TK421d

1 hour ago, TK421d said:

This is something that has been around for a long time now with scaled systems. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can do, and I always tell people to disable rescue missions with contract configurator. There isn’t a parameter I can change to raise the altitude. 

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This is something that has been around for a long time now with scaled systems. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can do, and I always tell people to disable rescue missions with contract configurator. 

I see, ok.

1 hour ago, Barcel said:

I'm having a problem - how do I find out geosynchronous orbits for rescaled systems? 10.625x specifically.

I'm sure it's not the answer you want, but you've got to calculate them.  There's no other way I know of other then doing the math.

15 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I'm sure it's not the answer you want, but you've got to calculate them.  There's no other way I know of other then doing the math.

I actually did expect this answer - was hoping a for tool for that though.

6 hours ago, Barcel said:

I actually did expect this answer - was hoping a for tool for that though.

I can show you the long complicated way of doing it, but I've been trying to come up with a simpler method that doesn't require as much information and math.  The best I've been able to come up with is this:

ZR = (Z1 + r) * (R * D)2/3 - (R * r)

This only works if you happen to know the geosynchronous altitude at normal stock scale (1x).  If you do, then the above converts the altitude to different scales.  What we have is,

ZR = geosynchronous altitude at rescale multiplier R
Z1 = geosynchronous altitude at 1x scale
r = radius of planet
R = Rescale multiplier
D = dayLengthMultiplier

This only works for non-tidally locked bodies.  There's probably a similar equation for tidally locked bodies, but I haven't worked it out.  (And besides, most tidally locked bodies have a GSO outside their SOI.)

Furthermore, the formula doesn't work for the home world.  This is because it is the home world's solar day that get factored by dayLengthMultiplier, rather than its sidereal day.  Some sort of correction will have to be made to account for this, but I haven't figured it out yet.

EXAMPLE

What's the GSO altitude around Eve at 10.625x?

Z1 = 10,328.7 km (from Wiki)
r = 700 km
R = 10.625
D = 2 (from rescale cfg)

ZR = (10328.7 + 700) * (10.625 * 2)2/3 - (10.625 * 700) = 77,174 km

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(edit)

I've figured out the home world correction.  In the formula for ZR we need to replace D with D', where D' is computed as follows:

D' = ( R0.5 * P * D * S * (P + S) ) / ( (R0.5 * P + D * S) * P * S )

where P and S are the planet's orbital period and solar day at 1x scale.  P and S must be in the same units.

EXAMPLE

Compute the GSO altitude around Kerbin at 10.625x.  From Kerbin's Wiki page, we have

P = 9,203,545 s
S = 21,600 s
Z1 = 2,863.33 km

Therefore,

D' = ( 10.6250.5 * 9203545 * 2 * 21600 * (9203545 + 21600) ) / ( (10.6250.5 * 9203545 + 2 * 21600) * 9203545 * 21600 ) = 2.001811

ZR = (2863.33 + 600) * (10.625 * 2.001811)2/3 - (10.625 * 600) = 20,211.5 km

Without the D' correction we'd be about 16 km too low.

Edited by OhioBob

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Thanks for making the configs, one question- I am using the 2.5x one and the ASLgravity parameter is set at 1, does that mean it is the same as stock size or does it scale with planet size? I'm guessing same as stock...

ASLgravity modifies the acceleration of gravity at the surface.  So having it set to 1 means that all the bodies have the same surface gravity that they do in the stock game, i.e. Kerbin's surface gravity remains 1 g.

Thanks for the great work!

Are the Remote Tech antenna nominal ranges scaled up as well by the Rescale Factor? Sorry, could not find the answer in this thread nor the Sigma Dimensions thread, but thats a rather critical question for successful mission planning;)

EDIT: I did a quick test today, it seems Remote Tech Antenna ranges do NOT get scaled up according to the rescale factor. I had to edit the rescale factor in the Remote Tech config file to get a workable solution.

Edited by Laminator
Question resolved in homebrewn test

Running GPP 1.5.88 with the new 3.2x config.

Now SigmaDimensions produces an error:

[ModuleManager] Applying update Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/newCacheFiles/@Kopernicus to Kopernicus/Config/System/Kopernicus

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key name in Body

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key cacheFile = #Kopernicus/Cache/$name$.bin

Kopernicus fails to load planets.

EDIT: I probably should've mentioned in the previous post that I tried changing %Kopernicus to @Kopernicus with less-than-satisfying result.

Edited by Pand5461

55 minutes ago, Pand5461 said:

Running GPP 1.5.88 with the new 3.2x config.

Now SigmaDimensions produces an error:

[ModuleManager] Applying update Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/newCacheFiles/@Kopernicus to Kopernicus/Config/System/Kopernicus

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key name in Body

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key cacheFile = #Kopernicus/Cache/$name$.bin

Kopernicus fails to load planets.

EDIT: I probably should've mentioned in the previous post that I tried changing %Kopernicus to @Kopernicus with less-than-satisfying result.

I test each cfg and they all work fine. Zero errors after I made the changes.

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I test each cfg and they all work fine. Zero errors after I made the changes.

Everything works fine without scatterer or if that patch is not applied for some other reason.

Player.log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A4iHX0hSRz1SDOfq-3n2SPVrHAH1yGQh

Kopernicus logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RRK-baCZ7LVZF3QKprQNk88RysJTpdWb

Do I understand correctly that the patch just corrects the color of rescaled sun and can be safely got rid of?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.