[1.3.1] Rescale! Comprehensive SD Configs [1.0.2.8] [03 Dec 2017]

Galileo

4 hours ago, Someone2018 said:

Does anyone else suffer the problem (on he 10.625x scale) that the Kerbal Space Center is not properly on the ground...

Haven't seen it myself. Can you provide logs? Check Galileo's signature block for information on getting support.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, Steeeeve said:

Yes, 6.4x seems to work fine. Other than a couple atmospheric things (mainly with scatterer, so I'm not using it), the game works fine. 

3.2x works fine with Scatterer. Just 6.4x, and 1.3.1 had the same scatterer issue (with GPP), so it isn't due to the version

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the 6.4x rescale and although it works completely fine, the atmosphere effect feels like it is too high, almost as if im still slightly in the atmosphere so even when im in orbit I dont truly feel like im in space. Is there any way to make the atmosphere visually lower.

51 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

I am using the 6.4x rescale and although it works completely fine, the atmosphere effect feels like it is too high, almost as if im still slightly in the atmosphere so even when im in orbit I dont truly feel like im in space. Is there any way to make the atmosphere visually lower.

Sounds like you're just talking about visual effects.  I assume you're OK as far as aerodynamic effects are concerned?

I'm a lot more familiar with how to make aerodynamic adjustments, but I'm guessing that you can probably change the visible height of the atmosphere using the atmosVisualEffect parameter.  Open the file 6.4xKSP.cfg and you will see the following:

@SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

@Resize = 6.4
	@Rescale = 6.4
	@Atmosphere = 1.2
	@dayLengthMultiplier = 1.75

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 0.57
	@geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
	@resizeBuildings = 0

@CustomSoISize = 0
	@CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
	@tempASL = 1
	@atmoTopLayer = 1.333333333
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1.2

@scanAltitude = 1
}

Near the bottom you see @atmoVisualEffect = 1.2.  Try changing the setting to see if you can find something more to your liking.

I will try and see if that works now and yes it is only visual, aerodynamics and actual atmosphere height is correct. I will edit this when my game opens so I can see what the result is. I would wait until I have done it to reply but my game takes a while to load.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a word of warning about 1.4.4 - I had everything working fine with 6.4x scale on 1.4.3, but 1.4.4 definitely breaks things. It breaks... interestingly. The planets are still re-scaled, but not orbital distances, or speeds. I was messing around with sandbox, and trying to launch a rather experimental craft, got to 1000km and discovered I was in orbit despite only having reached a fraction of what I expected orbital velocity should be.

In retrospect, the Mun did look unusually big in the sky from KSC... XD

Well yes, I know - but various 'not ready yet' configurations and combos have worked quite fine at times in the past.  I'm just confirming this is not one of those times (Kopernicus certainly made it clear you should expect an apocalypse if you load your old savegames), and moreover reporting more specifically what the breakage with this particular mod combo can be expected be. Particularly since this is one of those time where the way it's 'malfunctioning' is somewhat amusing.

So whats the consensus on the best visual enhancement etc setup for rescale? Right now I'm using 6.4x with Astronomer's visual pack 8k. It looks alright from orbit but there's a point below a certain altitude where the clouds look low res, I guess it's an issue of plugging in the right height multiplier somewhere but I'm completely inept when it comes to video game configs so if anyone's got a solution for that I'd be grateful if it was pureed and spoon fed to me. Anyway apart from astronomers I was wondering if there was any visual pack specifically geared towards 6.4x or rescale in general, perhaps something that looks at the rescale config and changes accordingly? If that's even something ksp mods can do, not sure if they're restricted to their own directories.

20 minutes ago, oslowa said:

So whats the consensus on the best visual enhancement etc setup for rescale? Right now I'm using 6.4x with Astronomer's visual pack 8k. It looks alright from orbit but there's a point below a certain altitude where the clouds look low res, I guess it's an issue of plugging in the right height multiplier somewhere but I'm completely inept when it comes to video game configs so if anyone's got a solution for that I'd be grateful if it was pureed and spoon fed to me. Anyway apart from astronomers I was wondering if there was any visual pack specifically geared towards 6.4x or rescale in general, perhaps something that looks at the rescale config and changes accordingly? If that's even something ksp mods can do, not sure if they're restricted to their own directories.

There aren’t any visual packs specific for any rescale size. Rescale takes stock size visuals and stretches them to 2.5x, 3.2x..etc. This is why things look low res. When you take an 8k image and you stretch it 6.4x, it tends to lose detail. That’s just one of the side effects of playing on a rescaled system. There is nothing that can be done.

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It works fine as is (as far as I know). Just not in 1.4.4. Apparently it breaks fairly badly there.

Isn't this because Kopernicus isn't updated?

On 6/23/2018 at 4:21 PM, TheOrqwithVagrant said:

Just a word of warning about 1.4.4 - I had everything working fine with 6.4x scale on 1.4.3, but 1.4.4 definitely breaks things. It breaks... interestingly. The planets are still re-scaled, but not orbital distances, or speeds. I was messing around with sandbox, and trying to launch a rather experimental craft, got to 1000km and discovered I was in orbit despite only having reached a fraction of what I expected orbital velocity should be.

In retrospect, the Mun did look unusually big in the sky from KSC... XD

@Tyko Evidently, some parts of SD still work without Kopernicus. But yes, afaik Kopernicus is not available for 1.4.4.

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

Isn't this because Kopernicus isn't updated?

Apparently there's also a stock bug that causes rocket parts to be misaligned when the system is rescaled.  It's my understanding that Squad is fixing it for the upcoming 1.4.5.  But from what I've heard, it makes rescaled games pretty much unplayable at the moment.

3 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Apparently there's also a stock bug that causes rocket parts to be misaligned when the system is rescaled.  It's my understanding that Squad is fixing it for the upcoming 1.4.5.  But from what I've heard, it makes rescaled games pretty much unplayable at the moment.

I can testify to that.  This screenshot was taken in GEP Primary at 2.5x in KSP 1.4.3:

wdLl50R.png

When I tried a Kerbal X, the upper stage was misaligned so much that the Poodle (which has a lot of gimbal) could barely keep it straight-ish.  Turning off SAS resulted in the the craft spinning around with frightening velocity.  And when the heatshields are misaligned (which they frequently are) the capsule tends to blow up on reentry because it isn't fully occluded (and because the heating is greater with a rescale).

Edited by Norcalplanner
specified KSP version

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Omniscient Walrus said:

How can you get resale to work in 1.4.5? 

I have all the up to date dependencies, and other people seem to get it working on this version, but all I get is miniavc telling me that my version is not supported, and it not loading.

Sigma Dimensions, upon which this mod depends, has not yet been updated to 1.4.5, AFAIK. Mini-AVC warnings are simply that, warnings that you're headed outside of the netted lagoon and out into the open ocean. There may or not be krakens lurking there...

It seems there is a problem with scatterer that, once a certain altitude is reached, it goes into "scaled mode" and the whole atmosphere turns dark (the atmospheric effect gets disabled)... I've been looking but i cannot find the setting to disable/change this setting.... anyone got any idea?

From reading the source code it seems that it's being affected by the "pqs" in scatterer (still have to figure out what that does) getting disabled once it reaches > 160km altitudes.

Edited by wowKerbal

16 hours ago, wowKerbal said:

It seems there is a problem with scatterer that, once a certain altitude is reached, it goes into "scaled mode" and the whole atmosphere turns dark (the atmospheric effect gets disabled)... I've been looking but i cannot find the setting to disable/change this setting.... anyone got any idea?

From reading the source code it seems that it's being affected by the "pqs" in scatterer (still have to figure out what that does) getting disabled once it reaches > 160km altitudes.

I've got a similar problem. Using the 6.4x rescale with (astronomer's visual pack) and scatterer's visual effects get disabled between 160k and 210k altitude around Kerbin. The only thing I've found so far is this old bug report on scatterer's github page.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.