What's Your Funniest, Wierdest, Or Stupidest Design?

Chel

We all have that one rocket, that one spaceplane, that's a bit, well, different. Admit it. KSP is made for stupidity! This is a place to share those creations, so get posting!

Maybe the design I did for STS-4.

MpwMYBF.png

Tiny little KMU clamped onto a tank clamped onto a claw clamped onto a dead shuttle.

Rode in during reentry like this.

Jeq0xps.png

Based on my concept design for a mobile ICMB. On the mobile ICMB the missile will be a)smaller, b) concealed inside fairing until launch, c) unmanned.

However this vehicle represents an idiotically dangerous way to travel to LKO, complete with batteries on the outside to explode during ascent!

The strange roll angle is because you always loose control surfaces on launch, just because it adds to the fun!

Hope this is weird/crazy/dangerous enough for you. I specialize in creating dangerous vehicles.

Edited by Andetch

I made an airplane with a fuel tank that curved back around over the cockpit and had the engines in front of the pilots.

EDIT: At the time, I was engaged with a competition with my friend to build the stupidest aircraft that was still flyable. Mine was not flyable.

Edited by Confused Scientist

I always wanted to fit in a rover with XL3 wheels inside an SSTO but it was too big for a MK3 cargo bay.  I read how this large wheel is impractical which only made me more determined to succeed.  I built a custom cargo bay like in the old days before the aerodynamics nerf.  First I built a box around the rover then thought the design would sort itself out.  It kept failing when adding more and bigger engines and making it lighter so I did the opposite and added smaller engines and more fuel and incredibly it made it to orbit.

One of the weirdest working ships I made is this reusable launcher I used to make a space station.

D0HU5nL.png

It worked by tossing things into space, where the payload would release and circularize. After that it landed back at base and was refueled and reloaded with two even weirder crafts:

Spoiler

D0HU5nL.png

This is one payload having been just loaded up on the underside of the launcher.

AoxWFdz.png

This is the refuelling and repacking mobile rig, which had to drive to the empty landed launcher and completely refuel the thing, while a kerbal repacked the parachutes on top of a rickety platform that wrapped around the top of the launcher. Definitely a nice design, but very weird and stupidly hard to use.

G1YOPVE.png

The best (worst) part of the launcher was that every single payload needs a new vehicle to drive it over to the launcher and to jack it up, since the launcher has no moving parts and everything was stock.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:43 AM, ValCab33 said:

Mine is probably this:

Yes, it does fly. No, it does not go to space (unless using cheats).

You got the trumpet to fly?

Nice, I remember your first post showing this on the spacecraft exchange.

Never thought it would actually be a usable craft. Thought it was just a design craft.

I guess you can get anything to fly if you add enough wings and boosters.

This is KSP after all.

Mine was a giant, modded spaceplane that kept veering off the side, when it did get into the air, it could tear up a KSC w/ 3 Goalkeepers from BDArmory, It was over 1000 tons and never had the correct thrust or lift to go upwards and into space.

Im still trying to make it work, but if i had screenshots, you could see how insane it is.

On 08/08/2017 at 8:23 AM, Cubesy said:

Mine was a giant, modded spaceplane that kept veering off the side, when it did get into the air, it could tear up a KSC w/ 3 Goalkeepers from BDArmory, It was over 1000 tons and never had the correct thrust or lift to go upwards and into space.

Im still trying to make it work, but if i had screenshots, you could see how insane it is.

In game I believe the easy screenshot button is F1. Using print screen can crash the game. The upload to imigur (for free) and post! Let us maybe see if a joint effort can get this thing into LKO!!

also, a addition, I made a replica of the Satellite of Love from Mystery Science Theater 3000, With Near future Prop. and Tweakscale, it doesn't look exact, since well, I aint good at using the stock panels.

First is a shorter one, second is a longer one w/ my hyperediting shame, (I cant afford a rocket that can carry it - its over 2mil and pretty heavy, and missaligned.)

Edited by Cubesy
fixed sentence + new pic

Well I took my A380 to it's illogical conclusion, creating the A380 Stupor Krumbo Choad Goliath Beluga Guppy.  Affectionately know as "Baron Von Kraken" in the inner circles.  Definitely the stupidest (fully functioning) aircraft I have made.

• 1024 seats...
  • 568.76t landed at the island runway.

XBALOii.jpg

The slightest wrong move results in, well let's just check out the mission report:

SM

1 hour ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Well I took my A380 to it's illogical conclusion, creating the A380 Stupor Krumbo Choad Goliath Beluga Guppy.  Affectionately know as "Baron Von Kraken" in the inner circles.  Definitely the stupidest (fully functioning) aircraft I have made.

• 1024 seats...
  • 568.76t landed at the island runway.

XBALOii.jpg

The slightest wrong move results in, well let's just check out the mission report:

SM

Bodging at its finest.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late, but I just couldn't resist posting this thing

JlBvkiV.png

I honestly don't even remember what I was thinking

BXy20sU.png

Made the game lag with all the dust it kicked up

w4glj5Q.png

Surprisingly stable in flight, though not very maneuverable

Edited by MDS_Dan
Typo, derp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.