BEFORE KERBIN - RELEASED

Gameslinx

tRcIvVC.jpg

Welcome to the development thread for [Before Kerbin].

This planet mod is set 2 billion years before the stock planets. You will begin your journey on Eden (Eve) and explore the planets in their older states as they are forming. Kerbin will be dry, dead and cold in the blackness of space. Since Eve is the home planet, the properties will match Stock Kerbin's. In the lore of this mod, Eve hasn't yet been impacted by its moon, killing the life on the planet.

F2bFJOm.png

9xg94SY.png

This planet mod is in its early stages of development so there will be no download until its first official release. I'm making good progress so it should be within a week or two that this pack is released. What can you do to pass the time? Click follow thread at the top right of this page and you will be notified when there are new posts here, usually from me.

FAQ:

Will this planet mod add any new stars?

• No. This is the Kerbol system 2 billion years ago. Adding a new star means you will need modded parts to get there, which I generally disagree with. It also means separating planets and sentencing them to "will not be visited". I want to make sure all planets are easily reachable but also require a challenge once there.

Is this planet mod compatible with present day mods like OPM?

• Yep! Even the visual mods will work together (they didn't with my previous planet mod), meaning you can install nearly any planet mod except those that also replace the home planet.

How much RAM do I need for this mod?

• 5GB at maximum texture quality.

Still waiting on a release? Why not join the discord for my planet mods. You can suggest stuff or complain about stuff, I don't mind :P

Image result for discord

Edited by Gameslinx
Added stuff

Special Thanks

This project is developed by just me, but there are other individuals who have made my life a lot easier:

Texture Credits:

• BK / EVE / Textures / aurora1.dds - Astronomer
  • BK / EVE / Textures / aurora2.dds - Astronomer
  • BK / EVE / Textures / detail1.dds - Astronomer
  • BK / EVE / Textures / detail2.dds - TheWhiteGuardian
  • BK / EVE / Textures / detaileve2.dds - Astronomer
  • BK / EVE / Textures / cirrus.dds - Astronomer
  • BK / EVE / Textures / eve1.dds - Astronomer
  • BK / EVE / Textures / uvnoise1.dds - Astronomer

Edited by Gameslinx

18 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

. You need to stop with the gloriousness of your planet packs.

A both optimistic since I've only ever made one :P

Cheers guys I'll be hard at work over the next few weeks. Should get a stable release out by they end or summer :)

Moho (Sekhmet), Eve (Eden) and Kerbin (The Atlas) are done. Halfway done on Duna, too. Looking good so far with no major bugs.

Latest addition which I have been working on this morning; Seth! The god of the desert.

YGC9yBg.png

And here is Sekhmet (Moho) in all its glory, too:

RVJ8r1n.png

Now that both those are finished, I moved onto the Jool system. Dres will come shortly. Here's what I have for Pearl (Jool) so far (Gas giants have no terrain so this was done quite quickly). Pearl, as the name suggests, has an emerald colour.

oAzrjJX.png

AhX8G9u.png

I've added another cool slider to the thread to compare Seth to Duna.

Edited by Gameslinx

This project of yours is growing fast :)

Still there are some questions in my mind, I don't know much about astronomy and creation of galaxies and planets, still I wonder if it could be possible that a 2 billion years earlier jool had rings and laythe already ( maybe in formation ? ) What are your thoughts about it ?

Also I suggest a new skybox, maybe a more vaporous, with some kind of clustered stars ?

And Jool looks splendid :)

17 minutes ago, spacecookie said:

I don't know much about astronomy

Neither do I :P

17 minutes ago, spacecookie said:

onder if it could be possible that a 2 billion years earlier jool had rings and laythe already ( maybe in formation ? )

I imagine a possible solution is that Laythe was originally further out, and Tylo formed in those rings but was then pushed away by laythe as it got closer. Either that or Laythe was already formed and those rings were just leftover pieces which were eventually lost to Jool and Laythe.

19 minutes ago, spacecookie said:

est a new skybox, maybe a more vaporous, with some kind of clustered stars ?

When the next SpaceEngine update comes out (which makes nebulae more volumetric) i'll get a nice ambient nebula skybox. For now, though, I'll grab one of the Milky Way and some clustered stars :) the only problem is that KSP makes skyboxes look really compressed (loss of quality and the like)

9 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Well I'll be darned, I was going to do this mod and I probably wouldn't have done it quite as attractively, dangit. That looks better than I'm comfortable admitting.

Sorry Gregox! To be fair I was about to hold off doing it because I thought there was already one out there.

at least I learned and I no longer show pictures of fully clouded planets anymore

Edited by Gameslinx

1pAqQeZ.png

Too white? Or alright? Also, there's the pesky terrain-above-atmo scatterer 'feature' which is impossible to get rid of (look at the poles and mountains). I hope it doesn't stand out tooooo much. If need be i'll make the atmosphere a bit thicker looking 

32 minutes ago, Daeridanii said:

maybe blue or green

I'll add more blue to it since it'll have oxygen (but not much), cheers. Here's what it looks like now:

SJJD20h.png

It's actually a bit more blue on the surface because of the water reflection

@Daeridanii surface shot:

qsgZop8.png

Edited by Gameslinx

20 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Have you considered using Kopernicus Expansion to allow Moho's lava to actually glow?

I haven't

But I have now.

Righto lava-o glow-o here we go-o!

Edited by Gameslinx

Be sure to make the sun dimmer and slightly redder, to match the luminosity-time relationship of main sequence stars. (And also to give Eve a fighting chance of entering the habitable zone) Assuming Kerbol is a sun analogue (its in-game charactersitics scream that it isn't) 2 billion years ago I figure it should be around 0.95 solar radii, 5650 kelvins (so just change the color to be slightly redder), and a luminosity of 0.83 solar luminosities. (By solar of course I mean kerbolar)

Also please make some worlds for USS, it's not looking like it will be finished unless you do some.

I suggest to make layth frozen. Maybe give it a small satelite for the background story. (The satelite would evantually make a impact into layth and then everything heats up and the ice melts, and gases make the atmo).

Also you could give dres a very inclined orbit and it should have some frozen bioms all around the planet. 

8 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

*the smalltext at the bottom of your post*

Sure thing, i'll finish off the next planet tomorrow. I feel like we're a bit short on people, though, which makes it a bit demoralising - i'm fine churning through the planets, though (but it's probably why not much has been done)

10 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Be sure to make the sun dimmer and slightly redder, to match the luminosity-time relationship of main sequence stars. (And also to give Eve a fighting chance of entering the habitable zone) Assuming Kerbol is a sun analogue (its in-game charactersitics scream that it isn't) 2 billion years ago I figure it should be around 0.95 solar radii, 5650 kelvins (so just change the color to be slightly redder), and a luminosity of 0.83 solar luminosities. (By solar of course I mean kerbolar)

Ahh thanks. Sure thing :)

Just now, Serkanamore said:

I suggest to make layth frozen. Maybe give it a small satelite for the background story. (The satelite would evantually make a impact into layth and then everything heats up and the ice melts, and gases make the atmo).

Also you could give dres a very inclined orbit and it should have some frozen bioms all around the planet. 

I don't speak for Gameslinx, but two problems: Laythe couldn't hold a satellite at any distance for a month, let alone a few million or billion years. Second, Laythe's heat is already explained by volcanic greenhouse gasses, low albedo, and most importantly: tidal heating from Jool.

22 minutes ago, Serkanamore said:

14 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I don't speak for Gameslinx, but two problems: Laythe couldn't hold a satellite at any distance for a month, let alone a few million or billion years. Second, Laythe's heat is already explained by volcanic greenhouse gasses, low albedo, and most importantly: tidal heating from Jool.

Icy laythe was the plan. Although it does sort of go against the tidal forces and greenhouse gases (I guess the greenhouse gases can accumulate over time). For some reason i'm getting NullReferenceExceptions when on its surface which have been bugging me for a good while.

22 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Icy laythe was the plan. Although it does sort of go against the tidal forces and greenhouse gases (I guess the greenhouse gases can accumulate over time). For some reason i'm getting NullReferenceExceptions when on its surface which have been bugging me for a good while.

What if jool was smaller and there was a gas giant that was evaporating very close to kerbol and jool was catching the evaporated gasses (kinda like how earth catches dust from comets) and over time it gained a bit of mass and because of the added mass heated laythe via tidal heating. Just an idea for lore

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.