BEFORE KERBIN - RELEASED

Gameslinx

8 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

What if jool was smaller and there was a gas giant that was evaporating very close to kerbol and jool was catching the evaporated gasses (kinda like how earth catches dust from comets) and over time it gained a bit of mass and because of the added mass heated laythe via tidal heating. Just an idea for lore

I managed to come up with an alternative. Since Pearl has close orbiting rings from a broken up moon (roche limit), it could gradually swallow them, adding mass. It won't be much but hey.

8 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I managed to come up with an alternative. Since Pearl has close orbiting rings from a broken up moon (roche limit), it could gradually swallow them, adding mass. It won't be much but hey.

Also makes sense (plus you don't have to create another planet:P)

8 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

plus you don't have to create another planet:P

nono that planet was broken up and long gone.

The only new things i'm making are:

• Eden (Eve) moon (already done)
  • Tylo (complete new heightmap, not just an altered one)

Everything else will be altered apart from Eeloo, which has a very uneventful life (I need ideas for eeloo, i have no idea what to do with the thing!)

WkNNyuQ.png

Surface shot of Pearl from Borea (Laythe), which is inclinated at 1.3 degrees around Pearl.

Hkqpylr.png

Sneak peak of one of the loading screen images! (there are loads!)

jMrena1.png

Eden's moon (a WIP) which gets closer by half a centimeter each year (Lore only). It orbits closer than it is comfortable, but its SOI is around the same as the Mun, so don't worry about hitting it constantly.

@Gameslinx You might like this as some guiding material, or at least, a reference.

Maybe you can take this as an excuse to...

• Give Jool a vastly wider ring full of protoplanetary good stuff.
  • Make Jool smaller, maybe less green, a little red and brown, and have it in a growing state. Maybe a flavor mixed by @GregroxMun himself.
  • Make Tylo, Vall and Bop smaller, and Laythe into a small but hot volcanic mess that hasn't collected H2O and O2 yet... all of which with sensible lower gravities like 0.3g or a little less...
  • Make Pol and maybe Minmus? Ike? into rogue spuds before they get captured by their parents.
  • Have the stock asteroid belt be far wider in span to accommodate possible collisions and extinction level events as far as Duna. 
  • Make Kerbin hotter.
  • Make Kerbin, Duna and maybe Dres orbit a bit further out. (This will break dV maps though)
  • Move Eeloo. Because everyone™ moves Eeloo.

Something of note, @Gameslinx, there used to be many more planets in our solar system. Most of these either accumulated into larger ones, or fell into the sun, or were thrown out eventually. But it would be fair to assume that there could be a few more planets.

Also, a question. Eve has a massive ocean spanning nearly an entire hemisphere. This could be the impact basin from the impact of Eve's moon. Perhaps you should fill that in, make Eve a largely land world, with scattered lakes and seas.

4 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Something of note, @Gameslinx, there used to be many more planets in our solar system. Most of these either accumulated into larger ones, or fell into the sun, or were thrown out eventually. But it would be fair to assume that there could be a few more planets.

Also, a question. Eve has a massive ocean spanning nearly an entire hemisphere. This could be the impact basin from the impact of Eve's moon. Perhaps you should fill that in, make Eve a largely land world, with scattered lakes and seas.

Dang, I'd already finished Eden. There is a large continental land mass which spans 1/3 of the planet. Is that large enough?

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Make Kerbin, Duna and maybe Dres orbit a bit further out. (This will break dV maps though)

Can't do this for those planets because someone in the discord is already working on a DV map and has completed those

8 minutes ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

What if Eeloo used to have a thin atmosphere? It could be like Hoth lol

Too many atmospherics. Laythe, Kerbin, Duna and Eve all have em. that's 4 out of 12 (if we leave out jool)

wd6Na5a.png

This is Thalius / Tylo

Ej8BfwO.png

Frost / Eeloo's ice sheet

Xr6lzic.png

The other side of the ice sheet, where Frost is tidally locked to Helios. It has an atmospheric height of 20,000m and a thickness of 0.06 atmospheres. It has oxygen, and you can reach escape velocity from its surface with a small jet and a whiplash. Hopefully this makes Frost more likely to be visited in the future :)

8PRZh5i.png

Amethyst / Minmus. Still working on the colours, though. Amethyst orbits Atlas within its rings.

7tfyIG6.png

Grain / Mun. Orbits within the Atlas rings. You can see Minmus is actually further in, but this changes later on.

Hey all! :)

Spread the news, Before Kerbin is slated to release within the next few days. Beta testers ( @TheWanderer05, @kjack1111, @AlliedForth, @Aeoncypher , @ModerndayLink, RealTortle and @Tutur ) have been hard at work and they're testing the final release of the mod. I'm yet to make a trailer (since I can't find any music for it whatsoever) so that will come later after final tweaks have been made. I leave you with a picture of Eden and its full planetary aurorae and i'll update the thread nearer to the release :)

ERkEBZP.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.