Craft locks up in VAB after adding subassembly

Its been a while since i used the subassembly function. But I made a lifting staged and saved as a subassembly.

Root part is the decoupler. Then i add the subassembly to my upper stage and then the trouble begins.

The subassembly clicks on fine and my craft looks done. But for some reason everything relating to altering the craft locks up.

I cannot grap parts off the craft anymore, i cannot add more, i cannot click the action's menu, i cannot swap to crew menu. I cannot toggle snap or change symmetry anymore. Basically it looks like i cannot do

I can click different parts categories but cannot "pick up" the parts, and I can use the menu to start new, load, launch etc. and I can change staging.

Is this a know bug, or did something change since I last used subassemblies? Years ago.

It sounds to me like the editor might 'think' you are holding an item with your cursor. I don't know how to convince the editor that you let go of the item already. Maybe try clicking somewhere 'blank' some more (?).

Uh-oh. There are two tests you can do (in my experience) to analyze the situation. Something like this has happened to me before.

First, are the staging icons not in any stage, the same way they are if you have, for example, an engine that is not attached to your spacecraft? And second, if you click on a pod from the parts menu, does it drop in the middle of the VAB, without attaching to the rocket like it was the first part you put down?

If so, the only solution I could find was to reassemble the rocket. I hope your spacecraft isn't as complicated as mine was. (It was a Martian-type Duna Ascent Vehicle. Over a hundred parts on the spacecraft alone, not to mention the rocket, because this was in the bad old days before Autostrut.)

Really hope you and I have different problems. It might not be, because in my case clicking on a part of the rocket in question duplicated it and it had the same problem as the rest of the rocket. Also, if you rebuild the craft from scratch and it experiences terrible glitches upon loading on the launchpad, remove any farings that may be on the rocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.