Wasp 121b has a water stratosphere

insert_name

1 hour ago, insert_name said:

NASA has confirmed that wasp 121b has stratosphere made of extremely hot steam!

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6909

Talk about an absolute Steam Giant! My original classification for a Steam Giant is an evaporated Water Giant/Ocean Planet that is basically a gas dwarf made of steam. But this...is something else entirely. It's a near-twin of WASP-12b with a temperature as hot as the Hyper-Earth candidates Tartarus and Thanatos.

The WASP project and its planets have made quite a lot of atmospheric discoveries this year. First was the completely different cloud structures of WASP-67b and a HAT-P planet, then the detection of water vapor in the skies of the incredibly puffy super-Neptune WASP-127b, then the ancient atmosphere of a WASP planet I don't remember, THEN the twin planets WASP-101b and WASP-31b, and now this. Whew. What great progress in the study of extrasolar atmospheres! It's amazing!

Article on the twin Hot Jupiters: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2017/07/27/two-planets-found-in-two-different-systems-are-almost-twins-infographic/#757027a86cc8

Oh and also ruby and sapphire rains were found to possibly be on WASP-12b a few months back.

The paper, and a second closely related one. Also, is this the ArXiv preprint?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about the Vanadium oxide. I'm also confused on what the relative concentrations of H2O and VO are, and what sort of scale height the atmosphere would have in that region. Are these things that are impractical to find at the present?

Forbes article with a very detailed infographic on the planet and its atmosphere:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2017/08/06/scientists-have-confirmed-an-important-theory-about-exoplanets-infographic/2/#4263dd5f78b0

Apparently, this planet orbits around the star's poles, because WHO NEEDS LOGIC. Also, along with a really off-kilter orbit, WASP-121b is one of the most horrific planets ever found. It is incredibly hot, even in the night side, where temperatures can reach a staggering 1,800 Kelvin, or 2,780*F. And that's the COLDEST the planet gets! Front side temperatures reach 2,700 Kelvin, or 4,400*F - the same temperature as @Cabbink's Hyper-Earth known as Thanatos, and about as hot as TRAPPIST-1. But of course it gets worse. The stratosphere, which may be laced with metal vapor, is around 3,700 Kelvin - which is SIX THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED DEGREES Fahrenheit. That's hotter than TRAPPIST-1, Proxima Centauri, and even EPIC 220221272. And, of course, WASP-121b is being tidally squeezed, evaporated, and ripped apart by its huge host star all at once.

*sigh*. You know, I was hoping we could have a NORMAL year for exoplanets in 2017, but again and again there have been so many new flavors of hell being discovered. You have the Hyper-Earths Tartarus and Thanatos (both hotter than TRAPPIST-1 and likely around the mass of Saturn), then KELT-9b at over 7,000*F, then these two horrific candidates I found with temperatures close to 9,000*F, then the hyper-dense Earth-sized planet orbiting every 4 hours, then THIS.

32 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Forbes article with a very detailed infographic on the planet and its atmosphere:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2017/08/06/scientists-have-confirmed-an-important-theory-about-exoplanets-infographic/2/#4263dd5f78b0

Apparently, this planet orbits around the star's poles, because WHO NEEDS LOGIC. Also, along with a really off-kilter orbit, WASP-121b is one of the most horrific planets ever found. It is incredibly hot, even in the night side, where temperatures can reach a staggering 1,800 Kelvin, or 2,780*F. And that's the COLDEST the planet gets! Front side temperatures reach 2,700 Kelvin, or 4,400*F - the same temperature as @Cabbink's Hyper-Earth known as Thanatos, and about as hot as TRAPPIST-1. But of course it gets worse. The stratosphere, which may be laced with metal vapor, is around 3,700 Kelvin - which is SIX THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED DEGREES Fahrenheit. That's hotter than TRAPPIST-1, Proxima Centauri, and even EPIC 220221272. And, of course, WASP-121b is being tidally squeezed, evaporated, and ripped apart by its huge host star all at once.

*sigh*. You know, I was hoping we could have a NORMAL year for exoplanets in 2017, but again and again there have been so many new flavors of hell being discovered. You have the Hyper-Earths Tartarus and Thanatos (both hotter than TRAPPIST-1 and likely around the mass of Saturn), then KELT-9b at over 7,000*F, then these two horrific candidates I found with temperatures close to 9,000*F, then the hyper-dense Earth-sized planet orbiting every 4 hours, then THIS.

Polar orbit huh? Hmmm.....

Sounds terrifing.

Also, if it was not tidal locked, how would sunrises look? 

Edited by Cabbink

Wait a second....

Couldn't the gas in the center of the planet turn to plasma? We already know steam giants have a runaway greenhouse. This heats planets at the going point up to 2400K+. 

What could it do to the water here? Water ionized at 12000 K (turns into plasma). If there is water that gets to the "surface" of the planet, does it ionize? :/

And how old is the planet and star? I would like to know how all of that water stayed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.