General R/Cery!

RoadRunnerAerospace

I've flown RC planes exactly Twice. Both were on the same thing, a school project. The first time, it was a test for how well my super-well-thoughtout-plane-by-which-I-mean-not-at-all-well-designed flew. It didn't. Chucking it off the deck, it flew for about 3 m and then dove into the ground. Second time, it was trying to demonstrate in class. It also flew into the ground and crashed. Really, Id like to get back into it. Just don't have money for it. (I borrowed some parts from my school. All the electronics.)

Rc helicopters though, I've flown a small one for a good amount of time. Needs a new battery though.

Been flying helicopters (small ones until my wallet says go big) for about 7 years now and just recently started getting my first plane ready for the maiden. Going to need all winter though on the sim. I don't know much about planes but I do know tail draggers are a nightmare to learn for a newbie with no instructor. It is my firm belief tail draggers exist for the sole reason of crashing upon landing if not on take off.

I am awestruck by the guys learning to fly helicopters in the 70's and 80's. No sim, no crutches, DIY blades, proper skills, and stamina. Look up on Youtube the private film reels of Dieter Schluter when he pioneered the developement of model helis and compare that to today with all the sims, all these brands and classes of models, not to mention radio gear. Pure luxury nowadays.

Love me a proper scale model and as far as modellers go, there are few who reach the level of this guy

http://www.lenmountscalehelicopters.co.uk/

Edited by LN400

i attempted to 3d print an r/c hovercraft however i had some issues with the skirt design being too rigid and i think i have an airflow problem as well, which is likely going to require an impeller fan redesign. existing impeller worked fine for cardboard prototype but not the new model.

5 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I got a small RC helicopter (about, an inch and a half...ish) and I had it for about three days

then I lost power mid flight and it fell into a glass of milk

At least you didn't trim the trees

:D

Happyness must be very close to be 2 Mokis on a giant scale

Wicked. Now: How do you become a millionaire? Be a billionaire and start with giant scale models.

Also, perhaps the sickest scale I've ever seen

I've always been partial to this one:

First saw this sort of thing about 45 years ago, when my dad took me to an R/C fly-in in Ohio.  I was always a huge Peanuts fan, even at 8 years old, and that was the first time I'd known about radio control aircraft (I'd only ever done the rubber-band powered flat balsa gliders before that) which was pretty cool, but when they brought out the flying doghouse, I was REALLY amazed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.8.2017 at 5:06 AM, Lo Var Lachland said:

I'm in the design stage of a 3D printed ship. I'm planning on making it a warship and taking it to Lake Michigan, [East bay] in the summers. 

Sounds wicked cool! I'm a little envious of those who can make scratch builds happen :) I have read a few articles written by builders and what they can achieve is stunning. Post pics when you have them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.