Please help! What do I do?!

Chel

I was on the bus this morning, and had my laptop bag next to me. Someone comes over, picks up my laptop bag, and then basically throws it on the floor. After the bus ride, I checked the laptop for damage. It had a cracked screen. A giant crack, near the bottom, that spreads all the way out. What do I do?! Can I still use my laptop? Please help! :(:0.0::/;.;:/

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;

It could happen to anyone. But why, kraken, why did it have to happen to your normal, everyday, average spacegoing feline? THIS IS A DISASTER!!!

1 like = 1 like

Our hearts are with you. And, uh, I don't have too much experience with laptops, but it doesn't sound good. Sorry.;.; However, even if the screen is busted, the CPU might still work...

I'm pretty sure you can build your own laptop from scratch, buying one piece at a time. (Keep in mind I am not one of those computer wizards, run this idea by someone else before trying it to avoid wasting an unbelievable amount of money.) So, what you do is you buy an empty laptop shell, gutted of all computing stuff, processers, whatever wasn't damaged in yours. That way, you have a new screen, but you (maybe) save money. But please, PLEASE remember I only know about this stuff from a brief skim of Cory Doctorow's Little Brother. (A great book, by the way.)

Or, you might be able to get enough money from a Kickstarter for a new laptop- again, please be advised I know NOTHING about this stuff.

So sorry to hear that. I really hope it turns out okay.

59 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Can I still use my laptop?

What happens when you turn it on?

If the screen is the only part damaged, the rest will work. (You should see the screens on my kids' laptops.  It's amazing what can happen.)  (Of course, it depends on what parts were damaged.)  If the laptop seems to boot, but the screen doesn't work, try connecting it to an external monitor.  If it doesn't boot, try and get the beep/blink codes.  You might have a problem with RAM or other internal components/connectors being knocked loose.

Beyond that, if you don't feel comfortable with a screwdriver and voided warranties (if it is still under warranty this damage might not be covered, but opening it up will void the warranty on further incidents) contact the company first, then take it to a qualified repair shop.

Edit:
If the whole thing is trashed, get a screwdriver and start tearing the thing apart.  Examine the insides.  Figure out what each bit is.  I'll admit it sucks, but you can turn it into a learning experience.

If the screen is the only damage, and you can't get it repaired for whatever reason, again, turn it into a learning experience.  Connect it to an external monitor and use it that way. 
Connect it to a TV as an entertainment center.
Load up emulators and run old games.
Make recovery discs for it and have fun doing whatever with it.  If you screw something up, wipe and reload.  Having a machine you aren't afraid to break can be a freeing experience.
Try different operating systems.  Find an old copy of Windows or even DOS and turn it into a retro game machine.

In short, treat it as an opportunity, and not a complete loss.

I've got an old laptop here with a dead screen.  I've got CentOS installed on it, and I use it for Linux practice.  I've got a web server running on it, and I wrote a website to track my Kerbals and add RP to the game as an excuse to learn some web programming with PHP and mySQL.  It's pretty useful to have a server with its own battery backup.  (A power outage that proved a little too long for its aging battery hit last week, but it had an uptime of 1299 days, 23 hours and 1 minute.  :mad:)

Edited by razark
Plural possessives and bourbon don't mix.

You might be able to replace the screen. Google your laptop model to see what comes up. 

And if you (or your parents, depending on your age) have insurance, you might be able to get the cost of the repair covered. It is worth asking anyway.

Or if you (or your parents) bought the laptop with a credit card, the credit card may have purchase protection insurance that will cover the repair or replacement. Again, it is worth asking.

Ok. It's a HP Probook with intel core i5, running Windows 8. It turns on, and I can do everything on it (Except the touchscreen, obviously). Is it possible for me to just ignore the crack? Treat it as something that just looks different? Or will I have to get it repaired

Edit: I should get the person who chucked it on the floor of the bus to pay for a new screen. They caused the damage, so they should fix it.

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

16 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Is it possible for me to just ignore the crack?

As long as you can live with the loss of the touchscreen.  I know my kids got used to seeing the cracks, but it really annoyed me.  (But I get extremely annoyed if anything is in front of the screen.

18 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I should get the person who chucked it on the floor of the bus to pay for a new screen.

I can't disagree with you there.  But if they feel free to grab your stuff and throw it around, asking them nicely to replace the screen is not going to work.  How much effort are you ready to go through?

UPDATE: I got a new computer from my IT department today, but they were angry at me. Something about having to take 3 hours to delete 27,000 files from KSP and it's mods, screenshots, and saves. No wonder my hard drive was at critical! Now I can't play KSP anymore, so will I have to pay for the game again and install it again?

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

22 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

UPDATE: I got a new computer from my IT department today, but they were angry at me. Something about having to take 3 hours to delete 27,000 files from KSP and it's mods, screenshots, and saves. No wonder my hard drive was at critical! Now I can't play KSP anymore, so will I have to pay for the game again and install it again?

Nah you'll only have to download it again, you only pay once

On 8/4/2017 at 7:32 PM, Aperture Science said:

Nah you'll only have to download it again, you only pay once

Beauty of KSP

On 8/3/2017 at 8:38 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

27,000 files from KSP and it's mods, screenshots, and saves. No wonder my hard drive was at critical!

You really didn't think of checking? How big was your hard drive anyways?

17 hours ago, qzgy said:

Beauty of KSP

You really didn't think of checking? How big was your hard drive anyways?

My hard drive was 117gb, and with the starter windows software it was 71gb empty. So I only have to go the KSP store, sign in, and then re-download the game?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.