The Largest Space Station

No offense but... well... this is basically a challenge to see who's having a best rig or not. High end computers can easily reach space station of monstrous proportion while low end potato computer will even struggle to get a basic 6 way hub station being loaded. Every space station parts takes a computer's processing power to load, so it depends on how powerful a computer can load space station parts until it begins to lag and then leading to the station being unable to be loaded because of game crashing. To quote from KSP wiki:

"One of the problems with a space station is the major problem of lag. Any ships with part counts of more than 250 will begin to lag violently on older devices, making any space station of a size that is usable completely impractical because of the lag. This lag problem exists because each part in a ship has its own physics attached to it. Normally this isn't problem, but when there are hundreds of parts it becomes really annoying. And although there are rockets with such high part count, those lose parts after every stage and thus reducing the part count. Usually the payload brought into orbit has then only a fraction of the original part count.,"

I am excited to do this challenge, really. But with my potato computer, I don't think my laptop can handle more than 2 fully occupied 6way connection hub without any lag (my Mir replica lag so much it makes the game start to look like slideshow) I suggest you make another sub challenge to make it more interesting (single launching give x2 multiplier, building with SSTO give extra 50% score, etc.). Also, give an explanation how scoring works (such as score= ((length x width x height) + orbit altitude) x location multiplier (jool= score x5, eelo= score x7, etc.)). And the last, have you tried this yourself? Even though building space station is a common occurence in KSP community, the rules stated that you had to post your own attempt when issuing a challenge

Forgive me if I said something wrong :)

Edited by ARS

Also, with tweakscale, there is nothing against making literal planets. Its then a test of how patient are you.

Also, there isn't really any challenge or scoring system to this....

Hate to nitpick, but I hope this will be constructive (no pun intended)...

What counts as a space station? A hab and solar panels? Does it need multiple modules? A propulsion bus? A lifeboat? A cupola?

I think there have already been "largest space station in a single launch" and "largest space station with an SSTO" challenges, so you'd probably want to come up with something new. You could do something focused on orbital assembly, where a series of modules are packed tightly together and launched and then an assembly bus is used to connect them all together. Try to make a challenge with a well-defined goal that entrants can optimize toward.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Then let the rules read stock parts only

or exclude tweakscale is mods are wanted...

and lowest count would be worth it as i wrote ;-)

Unfortunately this doesn't get us anywhere. Largest, or lowest part count? What scores higher -- a really large station with a medium part count, or a medium station with a really low part count?

• 2 weeks later...

Since no one posted his space stations yet, i'll start with mine :P It is not very big I know, but it might help set the pace a little. I'll put the video here so you can see it (at the end of the video), but also how I put it into orbit if you find it interesting. I'm curious as to what you guys can come up with!

Space Station (not huuuuge, but biggest I made so far)

I remember my big station... 

Spent like 2 days designing it, another 2 or 3 days hauling up the parts and assembling...

At the end of the week it was finally complete!  A marvel of ingenuity and inspired engineering!  GLORIOUS!  High-fives all around!!!

...and THEN, I docked something with it.

1 hour ago, ihtoit said:

I built a scale replica of Spacedock from Star Trek once... over 2500 parts, it nearly killed a quad core.

I think I declare you the winner and the challenge complete.  Good job!

Mine looked like this:   (-O-)  and sadly only had 2,345 parts.  

GAH!  I was sooooo close.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, XLjedi said:

I think I declare you the winner and the challenge complete.  Good job!

Mine looked like this:   (-O-)  and sadly only had 2,345 parts.  

GAH!  I was sooooo close.

Mine looked like this:

10295921_443142365821766_608553659432481

Yep. I say mine looks better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.