[1.12.3] Knes 1.9.9

Well

I've been having a bit of fun with the Hermes myself:

W5msmrWl.png

Here's full shot of the TLI stack, including the Hermes, a brutally-Tweakscaled Universal Storage fairing filled with RTGs and monoprop tanks, a Stock Stations Redux habitat, some engine from Tantares, and six overworked Tundra fins as legs:

5xVWBLLl.png

The terrifying final burn:

unJQMfml.png

And the triumphant (?) landing deep in the heart of Oceanus Procellarum:

9HzO56fl.png

Even though I have yet to actually take off again (the stack separates between the HRM and the US fairing, leaving the rest behind as a ground base) I figured it would be a good idea to have some sort of orbital station to serve as a control center, so I designed one around KNES and Bluedog MOL components, with some extra bits and pieces to spice things up a bit:

Y51Wfnel.png

No piece of space hardware is complete without tons of stickers:

mHs0XNZl.png

Zv0w2Ocl.png

And finally, I figured a mission to the moon needed international participation, helpfully provided by the Japanese in the form of a Fuji-compatible docking adapter and crew transportation services:

vmp5qBKl.png

0qQemnBl.png

On 11/12/2019 at 6:19 AM, rougeaux said:

I've been having a bit of fun with the Hermes myself:

W5msmrWl.png

Oh yes! great mission :D 

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

CAlb54Xl.jpg

so good! Always a pleasure to see Ariane, thanks all for those pictures! That make me happy.

Out of curiosity, is it currently possible to create the M1 SLBM out of Knes parts? I read the second stage of Diamant BP4 was derived from this missile, but I can't find much more information.

EDIT: Would you ever be interested in making Blue Streak/Europa?

Edited by golkaidakhaana

17 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Out of curiosity, is it currently possible to create the M1 SLBM out of Knes parts? I read the second stage of Diamant BP4 was derived from this missile, but I can't find much more information.

EDIT: Would you ever be interested in making Blue Streak/Europa?

you need "P10" booster and "Rita" or "Rita2" Booster at 0.9375 scale

Tag work in game

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/msbs.htm

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/ssbs.htm

I'm not interested to make Blue Streak/Europa

Edited by Well

10 hours ago, Well said:

you need "P10" booster and "Rita" or "Rita2" Booster at 0.9375 scale

Tag work in game

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/msbs.htm

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/ssbs.htm

Interesting, this would make a neat little launcher.

10 hours ago, Well said:

I'm not interested to make Blue Streak/Europa

I can understand why, but it is an early French rocket with lots of room for expansion (and its' second stage is already in Knes), maybe in the far future? :confused:

13 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I can understand why, but it is an early French rocket with lots of room for expansion (and its' second stage is already in Knes), maybe in the far future? :confused:

like i've said before, Europa is based on a british ICBM, i don't like it, and that don't make sense to add Bluestreak on a French/esa mod.

The only way i see to have a "sort" of Europa is to have eventually a French/european variant of the BlueStreak but using 2 early Viking Engine. (but that not a real concept)

The only other launcher i don't have made for Knes, wich i could eventually do is the "Mercure" rocket. 1.875 scale.

artfichier_714288_4726974_20150410013827

Mercure A was to use a Coralie second stage and a H3.5 cryogenic upper stage.
Mercure B was to use 2 cryogenic upper stages (H11.5 and H4.5)
Mercure C was be a 2-stage launcher with a liquid-fuel 2nd stage (13 t propellant)
Mercure was the generic name for a series of projects based on a 2.5 m diameter first stage powered by 5 Vexin engines (140 t thrust).

-------------------

So that could be an optional way to use the coralie stage. that pretty much a paper rocket, so i'm completely free on the design.

But i need to said, i'm on an "hold" for the dev of Knes. I'm not ready to start a new rocket. But let me know what part you think that miss in the mod.

Btw the annoucement of KSP2 have also added a lot of trouble in my mind. for example i don't think i want to do the french hermes anymore.

13 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Interesting, this would make a neat little launcher.

I love to use P10 and P16 booster, 0.9375 is a great scale for small rocket.

HyperDiamant and L-433 concept are based on that 

Projects.jpg

But i like to use Liquid upper stage... like using the viking service module for kickstage

On 11/11/2019 at 4:40 AM, josselin2196 said:

If thinking about new launcher, i find some old picture of super heavy launcher derivated from Arianne 5. Very sad than ESA does not have a proper budget and ambition. Space X could have had some competition.

o2M7jiB.png

37mKaI5.png

JuKvMdp.png

what if ESA have a proper budget and ambition.and typo error on arianne 5 not ariane 5

3 hours ago, Well said:

like i've said before, Europa is based on a british ICBM, i don't like it, and that don't make sense to add Bluestreak on a French/esa mod.

Understandable and true, Blue Streak was a British design, but Europa was (mostly) designed, built and tested by the French (and German). I think the British were more preoccupied with Black Arrow at the time, and then soon after switched to using US Scout rockets.

3 hours ago, Well said:

The only way i see to have a "sort" of Europa is to have eventually a French/european variant of the BlueStreak but using 2 early Viking Engine. (but that not a real concept)

I love this idea, and it's certainly a lot more French than the real Blue Streak. It would definitely make for an interesting intermediate LV (just a thought, but perhaps the engine could be an engine mount with nodes to add two Viking engines, or basically any engine you want. If someone made an RZ.2 model we could have an accurate Blue Streak).

3 hours ago, Well said:

The only other launcher i don't have made for Knes, wich i could eventually do is the "Mercure" rocket. 1.875 scale.

So that could be an optional way to use the coralie stage. that pretty much a paper rocket, so i'm completely free on the design.

Mercure does sound interesting and fairly similar to Blue Streak. If in the far future you're absolutely certain you never want to make Blue Streak, Mercure sounds like it would fulfill many similar roles while being of a fairly similar design.

3 hours ago, Well said:

But i need to said, i'm on an "hold" for the dev of Knes. I'm not ready to start a new rocket. But let me know what part you think that miss in the mod.

Btw the annoucement of KSP2 have also added a lot of trouble in my mind. for example i don't think i want to do the french hermes anymore.

Understandable, like I've said before the announcement of KSP2 must've generated a very lukewarm response from mod makers.

I personally don't think Knes' light-medium LVs are really missing anything major, but nonetheless Blue Streak or a similar rocket would be interesting parts to play around with, and Europa is a very obscure and unique LV.

3 hours ago, Well said:

I love to use P10 and P16 booster, 0.9375 is a great scale for small rocket.

HyperDiamant and L-433 concept are based on that 

I've played around with the P10/16 boosters a bit, I always assumed they were just concepts or design studies but I guess they were used on the M1 SLBM. I think I tried making a heavy-lift variant with a P16 as the core stage and a pair of P10s strapped to the sides a while ago.

3 hours ago, Well said:

one launcher i love to do... Knes P16 booster and Tantares Chara upper stage

So cute! I love TantaresLV's Chara/Kosmos 2 parts. One thing I've noticed is that Tantares and BDB parts have such different art styles and modelling that they just don't work well together, but somehow Knes bridges this gap. Your parts always look great when paired with either Tantares or BDB.

So I decided that after three months sitting on the Moon, it was probably time to do a crew swap.  But instead of risking my Hermes tailsitter, I went in a slightly different direction.

TeCjRTWl.png

The Star Taxi is a regular lifting body, heavily modified to work as both a VTOL landing craft and a wheeled ground transport.  The two major modifications can (kind of) be seen here:

pMFYA0Al.png

First, there are two rows of monopropellant-based thrusters (from the Internal RCS pack) that provide just enough lift to safely land on the Moon.  And second, I replaced the skids with wheeled landing gear.  Since the gear isn't motorized getting around on the surface requires RCS, but that's not a huge deal since many real-world airplanes do the same thing.

The deorbit burn is pretty intense:

gnAZTmll.png

NNJ5wHZl.png

But the landing is smooth as silk:

RypasWLl.png

Here's the whole operation:  (That craft to the right is an ore harvesting thing I kitbashed out of some streamlined tanks.)

1e3rAUal.png

Lunar landing and liftoff each require more than 3km/s of delta-V in RSS, so refueling is pretty much required, in this case using an EVA Transfer connection on the base of the Hermes.

gdxtgKvl.png

Then it's just a matter of taking off again (the Gravity Turn mod is great for that) and rendezvousing with the station:

yTNwcppl.png

96oudZ6l.png

8 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Is there a good way to make the Kliper? The StarWatcher and its LV adapter is so close, but I don't know what could be used for the propulsion module.

Maybe one day you might be interested to add this part compatible with Tantares to fill in the rest?

Be creative, Knes & Tantares add a lot of part to make a sort of Kliper service module

And no, i don't have planned more part for it.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:47 AM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Is there a good way to make the Kliper? The StarWatcher and its LV adapter is so close, but I don't know what could be used for the propulsion module.

Maybe one day you might be interested to add this part compatible with Tantares to fill in the rest?

kliper_segment_info_1.jpg

afaik there is an old Kliper mod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 4:18 AM, alberro+ said:

I'm thinking about installing this mod, but i'm only interested in the Ariane IV, Ariane V, and the Hermes spacecraft. What files do I have to delete and keep from the parts file?

KSP Gamedata>KNES>parts, From there it should not be difficult to figure out which folder corresponds to which LV/spacecraft, so just delete the ones you don't want.

5 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

KSP Gamedata>KNES>parts, From there it should not be difficult to figure out which folder corresponds to which LV/spacecraft, so just delete the ones you don't want.

Thanks, I thought it’s be like Tantares and everything is confusing.

• 4 weeks later...

There seem to be a problem for me. 

The more I play, the more the tech tree screen spams Knes parts all over the place. They duplicate faster than Tribbles. 

Fortunately not in the VAB part list.

There seems to be a duplicate somewhere.

May be because I use Restocked and Restocked plus?

Or because 1.8.1 stock gamee  has a Pollux booster as well?