[1.12.3] Knes 1.9.9

Well

2 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Well How about a variant of the new Minotaur capsule that carries LFO / monoprop? With a Viking service module I can see this being a very useful satellite transfer stage or a tanker.

I'm limited by the stock part variant system, so i don't think i could make that.

Also where is the interest to have recoverable capsule for LFO or Monoprop ?

I suggest to use the viking service module with a 0.9375 fuel tank, and a docking port.

10 minutes ago, Well said:

Also where is the interest to have recoverable capsule for LFO or Monoprop ?

I suggest to use the viking service module with a 0.9375 fuel tank, and a docking port.

True, but I was thinking something more along the lines of an Agena target vehicle-type craft that contains no supplies but could be used to boost manned vehicles to higher orbits and practice docking.

With the Viking capsule itself being a useful 0.9375m > 0.625m adapter it could also be used as a transfer stage for satellites with more fuel compared to the Viking engine.

13 minutes ago, Well said:

I'm limited by the stock part variant system, so i don't think i could make that.

Unless you're trying to avoid part bloat, you could just make it a separate part, or even use B9PS or Firespitter.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:35 PM, Well said:

For an early french space station for Viking Mission, my best concept for now is a small space module/station at 1.25 scale inspired by this soviet module.

I really like the shape : (maybe with solar panel)

fig2-2.jpg

Inspired by this really rare picture I wanted to leave a small KSP-oriented suggestion:

early-french-spacestation,medium_large.2x.1557582055.png

1 hour ago, hraban said:

Inspired by this really rare picture I wanted to leave a small KSP-oriented suggestion:

early-french-spacestation,medium_large.2x.1557582055.png

That really nice! i like it. Thanks for the picture.

For now i make a little hold on my Knes mod, i've made so many part this last month. I need to work on something different.

Can anyone point me to ideas on what I should edit in cfg's for old Arianes, so they would work nicely on 2.5x rescale? The main "problem" is the third stage engine (Zebulon) - it's simply too weak.

Surprisingly, Ariane 5 works fine, if not overpowered.

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Can anyone point me to ideas on what I should edit in cfg's for old Arianes, so they would work nicely on 2.5x rescale? The main "problem" is the third stage engine (Zebulon) - it's simply too weak.

Surprisingly, Ariane 5 works fine, if not overpowered.

try 64 Kn Thrust like IRL, also remember Ariane 1 is arround 1.5t payload

Well (pun not intended) i decided to put my suggestions out here:

1.ATV (for solaris

2.CTV (Also for solaris, see it as an bigger viking capsule in role)

3.Whatever the concept the gave the ATV an cargo capsule was called, its like the minotaur pod expect, again for solaris.

I actually work on the X-20 Moroz Spaceplane, so Knes is on hold for a moment.

Knes have already a lot of parts actually. So i think before adding new parts, a little hold to clean everything and maybe try some Bug Fix could be great.

Please send me every bug or weird thing you think that need to be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble bringing any of the shuttle/lifting body craft back to Kerbin. They are all stalling or pitching nose down uncontrollably as I get into the lower atmosphere, and I can't figure out why. Are they balanced for stock planet scale and aerodynamics?

1 minute ago, Tapejara said:

I'm having trouble bringing any of the shuttle/lifting body craft back to Kerbin. They are all stalling or pitching nose down uncontrollably as I get into the lower atmosphere, and I can't figure out why. Are they balanced for stock planet scale and aerodynamics?

You probably need elevon on the back of your craft, yes they are balanced for stock scale and aero. Also LiftingBody are not supposed to land like a shuttle, good pilot land sometimes with some sucess, but generally like IXV or other, lifting body use chute after rentry. A lifting body is generally a capsule but with a good lift effect, more precise for choose a landing zone

1 hour ago, Well said:

You probably need elevon on the back of your craft, yes they are balanced for stock scale and aero.

I realise my mistake now. I had all the elevons in place but I didn't set them to 'extended'. As soon as I did that Hermes pulled out of the dive and flew beautifully.

1 hour ago, Well said:

Also LiftingBody are not supposed to land like a shuttle

I see. Whoops :blush:

Thanks for the great mod, I shall be using it all the time now I know how it works!

• 2 weeks later...

Science Part are now standalone here :

I'm probably going to depreciate them on Knes, but for now i've tested with both mod installed, look like that don't make any conflict :P 

i've started Knes 1.1, if you have some bugs that need to be fixed, please let me know.

No new parts actually planned for this update, just Bug Fix and Depracted science part ( Interkosmos )

-----------------------------------------------------

DEPRECATED in the next update 1.1 :

_Box_Sensor_GasAnalyzer

_Box_Sensor_Hydrometer

_Box_Sensor_IRSpectrometer

_Box_Sensor_Photometer

_Box_Sensor_Photopolarimeter

_Crystallisation_Facility

_Knes_Command_K-CEV

_Knes_Command_K-IXV

_Knes_Utility_SafeSystem

_Knes_Utility_SafeSystem_1875

(Those parts still Loading but are going to be deleted in 1.2, so update you're craft files or save if you have or use one of these parts)

Edited by Well

Knes 1.1 is online

Knes 1.1 [2019-06-15]
-------------------------------

- CEV & IXV LiftingsBodies are now DEPRECATED
    - Abort System are now DEPRECATED
    - Science are now DEPRECATED (moved to standalone mod Interkosmos)
    - Removed science part on the Hermes craft files
    - Fix nullref on Ariane5 craft files after booster sep
    - Nanosat decoupler reduced to 0.2 (i've also fix the axis)
    - Clean up files names

i've also added the link for Github repo / release

4 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

That looks cozy!

BTW, have you ever thought about recreating the Minotaur capsule from Eyes Turned Skyward?

Thanks,

And no, sorry but i'm not interested by the Minotaur from ETS.

1 hour ago, josselin2196 said:

- CEV & IXV LiftingsBodies are now DEPRECATED

Does this mean that the CEV and the IXV will be removed or moved/reworked to another mod? I use this craft for taxi Kerbal to my space station.

I'm sorry but I don't want to maintain these spacecraft, i don't have planned to make an other mod for them, i've wanted to depreciate them long time ago. i know a lot of people use those.

If you really want to play with this one on the future, you need extract these part for yourself (you need the Folder LiftingBodies and the Folder K-CEV_IVA in Spaces for the IVA

I've Deprecated them for know, you still could play with them with old craft files, so you have the time to update you're save.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If many people ask for that, i could eventually update the old CEV, but with files name changed, craft files are going to be broken anyway

On 5/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, Tapejara said:

I realise my mistake now. I had all the elevons in place but I didn't set them to 'extended'. As soon as I did that Hermes pulled out of the dive and flew beautifully.

I see. Whoops :blush:

Thanks for the great mod, I shall be using it all the time now I know how it works!

Glad to see that the Extend function, rather useless in stock scale becomes useful in 2.5 scale. Might encourage me to use Hermès in JNSQ.

As for lifting bodies, they don't really fly like planes, they are more like flying bricks...  Without proper wings and tails, the IXV just controls its descent slightly, nothing more. Hence why ESA put a a chite on it. Hermes has wings and vertical stabilizers so it can fly to an extent since it has no engines to sustain its flight speed, if you slow down too much, you stall. Space Shuttle pilots trained years (more than 4000 times before being admited into service) because you have only ONE attempt at landing with it. If you screw it, the vehicle is lost.

@Well Why depreciating the safe systems (escape towers?) I was beginning to use them in my JNSQ game since it becomes useful to have an ascape tower to avoid multiple "revert flights" that can overload the memory and make the game crash on such a huge mod... I know most people don't use them on stock scale, but still.

RIP the IXV and co, it was a cute vehicle.

For the 1.7.2 version of KSP, I'll wait for your 1.2 update just to know what will remain.

Also, will your parts work the new stock inventory system? The IXV and other could have had some cargo space for those DLC Breaking Ground experiments...

Edited by Quoniam Kerman