[1.12.3] Knes 1.9.9

Well

On 10/6/2019 at 11:57 AM, Well said:

Many thanks, i could understand why a mod about french rocket don't look interesting for many people, but i try my best to make interesting parts, rocket and vehicle.

---------------------------------

An other Variant for the next update:

EGLyIepWwAE7iS7?format=jpg&name=large

EGLyIeuXUAATxEN?format=jpg&name=large

EGLyIetWkAAAwCO?format=jpg&name=large

Ariane V going Energia mode, lol.

Also love your bare variants for engines, except that Vulcain without its assembly just can't work for me, it needs its spherical injector tanks...

RCS embedded adaptors are nice for station extension or docking, you have the RCS to brake before docking !

I understand now why KNES isn't marked as 1.8 compatible yet, it is because you'll add many things in it for that update.

Your parts are still interesting because they encompass the whole (or next to) spectrum just like Tantares or BDB, with some differences. In many instances, KNES is a downscaled whole spectrum mod with smaller things doing the same purpose in a different style. It as complementarity with many other mods and has good looking parts for beauty shots. It works well with JNSQ also, Ariane parts don't feel OP there, they just feel right.

16 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

I understand now why KNES isn't marked as 1.8 compatible yet, it is because you'll add many things in it for that update.

Your parts are still interesting because they encompass the whole (or next to) spectrum just like Tantares or BDB, with some differences. In many instances, KNES is a downscaled whole spectrum mod with smaller things doing the same purpose in a different style. It as complementarity with many other mods and has good looking parts for beauty shots. It works well with JNSQ also, Ariane parts don't feel OP there, they just feel right.

For vulcain, that mostly because nertea made a beautiful Vulcain model already, if you want a bare variant of this engine with more detail, i hightly recommand this one :

1YROrG6.png

Many thanks for your message, also the actual fact Knes is not 1.8 ready, is because the new KSP have broken many little things, Fairings texture / new monoprop FX engine / some other FX

I've uppdated all my other mods, now i work on Knes but i still have some trouble with those bugs.

also because actually KSP 1.8 don't run realy well on my computer ( saving settings bugs and other weird problem)

I admit, I wasn't super interested in KNES at first until I really got into historical rocket mods like Tantares and BDB and realized how much you've done here! Also learned that Ariane was the first successful commercial rocket.

I also like the lifting bodies. I've never been good at building/flying spaceplanes, but I've given the Hermes and IXT(?) a whirl and I can definitely find uses for them (given my bad flying ability). Also love the tiny Viking pod! 

Edited by t6jesse

3 hours ago, Well said:

For vulcain, that mostly because nertea made a beautiful Vulcain model already, if you want a bare variant of this engine with more detail, i hightly recommand this one :

1YROrG6.png

Many thanks for your message, also the actual fact Knes is not 1.8 ready, is because the new KSP have broken many little things, Fairings texture / new monoprop FX engine / some other FX

I've uppdated all my other mods, now i work on Knes but i still have some trouble with those bugs.

also because actually KSP 1.8 don't run realy well on my computer ( saving settings bugs and other weird problem)

I stopped using Cryo engines for sometime due to conflicts with other mods, sadly.

3 hours ago, t6jesse said:

I admit, I wasn't super interested in KNES at first until I really got into historical rocket mods like Tantares and BDB and realized how much you've done here! Also learned that Ariane was the first successful commercial rocket.

I also like the lifting bodies. I've never been good at building/flying spaceplanes, but I've given the Hermes and IXT(?) a whirl and I can definitely find uses for them (given my bad flying ability). Also love the tiny Viking pod! 

I'm really happy to hear that! I know French rocket doesn't look interesting, but i try my best to make interesting parts for those little Kerbals.

----------------------------------

I work on the next release, wich are going to be also a fix for KSP 1.8

I still have a lot of work, i need to test every part in game. Probably this week

4 hours ago, Varix said:

Hey just wondering how to use MLP with the ariane 1-4 because it won't snap to the rocket engine. I keep seeing @Zorg putting awesome pictures of the launches with MLP 

You need to make a new .cfg with something like this:

@PART[_Knes_L3S_L140|_Knes_L3S_L220|_Knes_L3S_L220N]:NEEDS[KNES]
{

node_stack_bottom02 = 0.0, -7.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 5

}

Put it somewhere into GameData. Ready

This adds a new node on the bottom of the 3 Ariane Firststages. The second value (-7.5) is the vertical position. You can change it by yourself if it don`t match your requirements.

Edited by Cheesecake

8 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

You need to make a new .cfg with something like this:

@PART[_Knes_L3S_L140|_Knes_L3S_L220|_Knes_L3S_L220N]:NEEDS[KNES]
{

node_stack_bottom02 = 0.0, -7.5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 5

}

Put it somewhere into GameData. Ready

This adds a new node on the bottom of the 3 Ariane Firststages. The second value (-7.5) is the vertical position. You can change it by yourself if it don`t match your requirements.

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Oh yes I have a patch for the Ariane engines like that. I ought to make a pull request to Modular Launch Pads, kept forgetting.

let me know what is the best value, that easy to add to the config. i could add this node for the next release.

-------------------------------------

I've decided to add 4 more crew to Hermes (because irl a rescue variant was planned) so 3 crew for launch, 7 for return/rescue

The fact the shuttle don't have any cargobays, more crew was the best way to make the Hermes Shuttle more interesting in KSP

Hermes IVA update :

EHpyfnWWkAAmUA_?format=jpg&name=small

EHpyKKxWwAIGLe-?format=jpg&name=large

EHpyKK2X0AI92pS?format=jpg&name=large

EHpyKK2W4AA0pbx?format=jpg&name=large

EHpyKKzXYAAJ0WT?format=jpg&name=large

Orbital Module IVA was also updated

-----------------------------------------------------------

i still have a lot of test to make in 1.8 before release, and i'm pretty busy actually, but the release is for soon

Edited by Well

Knes 1.4 - "IVA Time"   is online :

DQibll3.jpg

Knes 1.4 [2019-10-26]
- Cost fix for all L3S First Stage
- Cost fix for Catherine Stage
- ISP nerf for all Cryo engines
- Thrust up for H2 H3 HM4 HM7 Cryo Engine
- Texture update for the Viking service Module
- StarWatcher Collider remade
- New plume for Monoprop engine
- Cost balance for Lifting bodies
- Fix bug with fairing adapter
- LH2 patch made by @Zorg for cryo compatibility
- New Bare Variant for HM60 Engine
- New Bare Variant for HM7 Engine
- New Bare Variant for Vulcain Engine
- Add more tags
- New Model an config for P80 booster
- New texture for p80 and EAP boosters
- New H4 small Fuel Tank 1.875
- Texture update for L3S parts
- New p35 Booster 1.875 scale
- New Model for All safe system abort module
- New small payload adapter to replace "fairing adapter"
- New various craft files
- New Bare Variant for H3 Engine
- New Bare Variant for H2 Engine
- New Texture variant for Hermes shuttle
- Hermes Model and Texture update
- New node for Hermes Shuttle
- Inline Decoupler allow srf attach
- HRM module Mesh update, new node setting
- Fix Hydrolox Particle FX for KSP 1.8
- Fix Monoprop Particle FX for KSP 1.8
- Fix Fairing texture for KSP 1.8
- New Monoprop Engine using separatron assets
- Hermes IVA update with overlay
- Hermes is now 7 crew capacity for rescue
- HRM IVA update
- New bottom node for L140 L220 and L220N stage
- All texture converted to DDS DXT5 for KSP 1.8

https://github.com/AstroWell/Knes/releases

@Well Does the update work fine in 1.7.3? EDIT: It appears to work perfectly fine. Congrats on the release, the new parts are excellent!

Unrelated, but could you please consider adding a 2.5m Hermes adapter in the near future so we can adapt it to the original 2 stage Ariane 5 proposal? EDIT 2: Disregard that, I just noticed the Safesystem fulfills this role perfectly.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

Seems a nice update, getting French rocketery up to the level of Tantares.

Sad for the nerfs to the ISP, but they were way too high for what the launch vehicles were supposed to be, even in JNSQ, the engines were generally too efficient, unless you are refeering only to the cryo engine special config of course.

56 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Sad for the nerfs to the ISP, but they were way too high for what the launch vehicles were supposed to be, even in JNSQ, the engines were generally too efficient, unless you are refeering only to the cryo engine special config of course.

Thanks for the review, ISP balance are actually really hard for all those cryogenic engine in stock system, KSP Fuel density broke everything, if someone find the nice balance... i could adjust. For now the best way is to use the patch made by Zorg, that switch fuel to LH2, ISP and thrust adjusted.

54 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Since by default those engines are running LFO giving them high Isp makes them overpowered compared to the real thing (even when taking into account KSP conversion). Keeping in mind the real launchers would use LH2 in those stages and LFO is much much denser so you're packing more Dv into the same volume.

Nerfing the Isp hard makes them behave more reasonably while running LFO and using the optional LH2 configs will bring it even closer to accuracy in a system like JNSQ. But like Well said balancing real world cryogenic stages using LFO only is very difficult if you care about accuracy to a reasonable degree.

17 hours ago, Zorg said:

Yay! Looking forward to trying out the new Hermes IVA. 

Many thanks ! Take a look also to StarWatcher / StarRider IVA

12 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Well Does the update work fine in 1.7.3? EDIT: It appears to work perfectly fine. Congrats on the release, the new parts are excellent!

Unrelated, but could you please consider adding a 2.5m Hermes adapter in the near future so we can adapt it to the original 2 stage Ariane 5 proposal? EDIT 2: Disregard that, I just noticed the Safesystem fulfills this role perfectly.

yes no problem in 1.7.3

Take also a look to the new "Hermes Adapter" adapt to 1.25 or 1.875

8 hours ago, Barar said:

Thank you for this, I have played with this mod for a while. Always enjoyed the parts and quality work you put into your mod.

Many thanks, i try to make my best !

On 10/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, Robban279 said:

Great to see this updated! Was my most used parts mod in 1.7..

I also gotta say, I was surprised how much quality content this mod has when I first got it, since then it’s one of my absolute favourites!

Good job & thanks a lot for sharing it! 

Many thanks! that make me really happy!

--------------------------------------

I've forgot to include craft files for StarRider and StarWatcher lifting bodies...

I've uploaded them on github for those they want to play with those vehicle:

https://github.com/AstroWell/Knes/blob/master/Ships/VAB/DLA-P - StarRider.craft

https://github.com/AstroWell/Knes/blob/master/Ships/VAB/DSL - StarWatcher.craft

screenshot14.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot18.jpg

screenshot24.jpg

screenshot25.jpg

2 vehicle fully operational, with docking and rcs, IVA with monitor, and landing skid.

the Small star Rider land with chute, StarWatcher could land on the runway or with the chute in emergency. Please enjoy!

DLALauncher.jpg

Edited by Well