Asteriods as Pseudo moons of Jool

I got this idea from watching a E sized asteroid get an encounter with Minmas, the Mun, and obviously Kerbin all in one pass by of Kerbin. This put it's orbit to where it could make contact with Jool at some point and it did. It actually ended up becoming captured by Jool by making a close pass by of Jool, then Tylo. The idea it gave me was instead of having several premade moons orbiting the gas planet of KSP, it would be more interesting to see randomly generated asteroids (possibly larger than the ones we have in game now) orbiting Jool as pseudo moons. 

With Jool's IRL counterpart (Jupiter) having 60+ moons and most of the being very small bodies this would make sense. it could also be neat to see Eeloo have very small moons (smaller than Gilly even) to have analogs for Pluto's moons Hydra and Nix.

I actually decided to visit this new moon of Jool. I named it "The odyssey". I was super afraid of it being ejected from the Jool system so I moved it's orbit past that of Tylo's and below Bop's. It also was extremely annoying to visit as it orbits in the opposite direction that Jool rotates and the other moon's orbit. Also ignore the cloud mod I have for Jool in the 2nd image, I did not install any mods that changed the asteroids to spawn around Jool.

2 minutes ago, Scout1218 said:

That would be actually really cool! But the issue is that asteroids are actually parts, and they don't simulate gravity. Unless you meant for just larger asteroids could be around Jool? Joolstroids?

I know they don't simulate gravity and are parts but its not IMPOSSIBLE to set up if they really wanted to give some of them gravity. I remember an old mod that added asteroids that basically hacked the game to give them gravity (They were parts in the editor aswell that you could get kethane from).

Even if they didn't have gravity it would still be neat to orbit Jool and see entire ring systems made of randomly generated asteroids! Also it could be possible to have some of the moons of Jool have their own sub moons! Imagine Bop with 40 different moons around it...

I've seen something like this in a mod, where the asteroids spawn as untracked objects in orbits around Jool. Maybe they could be invisible until you sent the Sentinel Telescope there and then you could track them in the tracking station like regular asteroids (although instead of intercepting Jool, they could just orbit Jool).

For those who are willing to believe in the existence of Dres, you can reliably find asteroids in nearly circular orbits around it.  The orbits are pretty regular so I'd expect that they generate there naturally rather than get captured - if this is the case than it should be trivial to add a similar feature to Jool, or any other planet really.  I'd love to see trojan clusters too - not only for Jool but for Kerbin and other as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.