should i use a mk1 lander can or a mk1 command pod for a mün mission?

It depends on what is suitable for your needs. Compare the stats of those two, for example Mk1 Lander can is lighter and has more monopropellant, but has less survivability (max temp and crash tolerance) and weaker reaction wheels.

The difference between those parts aren't big, so you may also choose based on aesthetics, if it's hard to decide.

Good luck with your Mun mission! :)

<toss a coin>

Sight!  It rolled behind my desk,  you will need to do it apollo stile and use one of each kind. 

OK seriously : Lander can will make landing on the Mun slighter easy.  Command pod will make reentry slighter easy.  Choose one and deal with the consequences.  

If you're doing a single pod mission (i.e., NOT Apollo style), I think the command pod is better overall.   It's got better aerodynamics for launch, more SAS torque, more heat resistance,  and is cheaper to boot.  While the lander pod is lighter,  the difference is not that big. 

If you're doing an Apollo style mission,  the best option is probably to use each part like the real thing.  Land on Mun with the lander,  renter Kerbin with the command pod. More generally,  i like the lander for missions that stay in vacuum,  and the command pod for stuff that includes reentry.

Mk1 capsule every time...except for a mission where aesthetics are an overriding consideration. 

The capsule is more streamlined to launch, has better stuff onboard and re-enters better. 

I personally never use anything else. If you start with an assumption that the mk1 capsule is all you ever use then you can make a science or career playthrough easier. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.