What would the third launch place be?

Would you like a third place to launch your crafts?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a third place to launch your crafts?

• Yeah, sure, why not?
    • Maybe, don't really care, not my problem.
    • No way! two is enough!

1 hour ago, natsirt721 said:

Prepare to die disappointed

I grew up with phones with cords, computers with 386 processors, and something called paper letters.  Technology moves at a fantastical pace.  Given I've only lived (hopefully) 1/3 of my life, I think the possibilities are close to endless.

19 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I'm not sure how you define the scope of a vehicle creator/sandbox interplanetary exploration game without allowing that it's totally up to the player what vehicle they want to create and which parts of those planets they want to explore. Boat parts are long overdue in my opinion and well inside the scope. Given the lengths Squad went to to overhaul buoyancy and submersible depth issues (used to despawn at -600m), I don't think there's a lot of evidence they agree with you.

Simple, it's a space game.  Not a boat game.  There is a limit to how much can be added to the game and it was always intended to be space oriented.  Boat parts are not it.

13 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

If we don't have boats and subs on other celestial bodies before I die, I will be generally disappointed.

Well, hopefully it will be a while before you are disappointed then, but it seems inevitable that you will be.

10 hours ago, FungusForge said:

They could probably get away with just a water jet or propeller and some ballast tanks in a few sizes, since that's all that's really required in the naval department since most everything floats.

Not likely going to happen.  That's what mods are for.  They have a limited space to work with on the minimum specs, they aren't going to add a plethora of out of scope parts to fill it up.  Again, it's a space game.

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Simple, it's a space game.  Not a boat game.  There is a limit to how much can be added to the game and it was always intended to be space oriented.  Boat parts are not it.

Not likely going to happen.  That's what mods are for.  They have a limited space to work with on the minimum specs, they aren't going to add a plethora of out of scope parts to fill it up.  Again, it's a space game.

True, it's a space game, but why wouldn't they add a few more parts, not necessarily boat parts, but parts that could be used for boats, such as propellers, and other stuff. Heck, they even made a SpaceX-based powered landing scenario, with its description talking about landing on something small like a boat (unfortunately no boats to land on), so they could make a drone ship addition.

Yes, I have finally responded to my post.

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

Last time I checked, space included oceans, and space exploration included the search for available water, and the search for life sustained by available water. Your explanation does not wash.

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Last time I checked, space included oceans, and space exploration included the search for available water, and the search for life sustained by available water. Your explanation does not wash.

I think he only wants to explore space dirt.  Space water is obviously beyond his scope.

11 hours ago, Alshain said:

Alternatively one could say "its a space game not a car game". But here we are with rover parts. And before you say that its because humans have landed rovers on other bodies I'll say this, do you really think Curiosity would've been a rover if Mars had as much ocean as Laythe?

20 hours ago, Alshain said:

One day, and I doubt it'll be in KSP, but one day I'd like a space game that lets me land on a Europa-like planet and drill through the ice to take samples of the sea water. I'd also love to use submersibles on a Titan-like planet. Oh and taking samples at an Enceladus-style plume...

Space is filled with water and other liquids. Sure, most of us probably don't feel the need to land a destroyer on a methane lake on Titan (not that there's anything wrong with that desire), but not including an underwater mechanic in a game about space makes for a pretty limiting experience.

Plus, I mean....

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by blorgon

19 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

The search for available water on foreign bodies does not mean having a naval fleet on Mars.  Your justifications are all wet.

22 hours ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

True, it's a space game, but why wouldn't they add a few more parts, not necessarily boat parts, but parts that could be used for boats, such as propellers, and other stuff. Heck, they even made a SpaceX-based powered landing scenario, with its description talking about landing on something small like a boat (unfortunately no boats to land on), so they could make a drone ship addition.

Yes, I have finally responded to my post.

The same reason they haven't added prop plane parts.  It's not space oriented.  Jets played a big part in the build up to the launch of manned rockets.  Prop planes had very limited use in NASA (or the Air Force space division) even back before Mercury.  Boats have very little use outside of recovery, but recovery is abstracted in KSP.  It just doesn't make sense to fill up the memory space with boat parts (or prop plane parts).  They don't fit in the scope.

You could argue that they could add a bunch of parts, and they could.  But there have to be limits to the design purpose of the game, and that has always been space (double entendre fully intentional).  They could change their minds on that, but I don't see it happening.  Tomorrow they could announce they boat parts, or train parts, or golf cart parts to the game... it just isn't incredibly likely.  The line they have drawn makes sense, they can't put everything in this game.

Edited by Alshain

14 minutes ago, Alshain said:

The same reason they haven't added prop plane parts.  It's not space oriented.  Jets played a big part in the build up to the launch of manned rockets.  Prop planes had very limited use in NASA (or the Air Force space division) even back before Mercury.  Boats have very little use outside of recovery, but recovery is abstracted in KSP.  It just doesn't make sense to fill up the memory space with boat parts (or prop plane parts).  They don't fit in the scope.

You could argue that they could add a bunch of parts, and they could.  But there have to be limits to the design purpose of the game, and that has always been space.  They could change their minds on that, but I don't see it happening.  Tomorrow they could announce they boat parts, or train parts, or golf cart parts to the game... it just isn't incredibly likely.  The line they have drawn makes sense, they can't put everything in this game.

I never said parts specifically for boats, but parts that could be used for them, but also on planes, rockets, etc.

41 minutes ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

I never said parts specifically for boats, but parts that could be used for them, but also on planes, rockets, etc.

That could be every part in the game.  People do make boats out of stock parts already.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

That could be every part in the game.  People do make boats out of stock parts already.

Yes, but I meant parts that were a bit closer to boats, not parts made for something else entirely. You can pretty much make anything with KSP.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:05 PM, Alshain said:

The search for available water on foreign bodies does not mean having a naval fleet on Mars.  Your justifications are all wet.

When did anyone say Naval fleets?  I'm asking for exploratory subs and such.  Are you also against exploring the oceans on Earth?

Look.  Kerbals live in a universe where their solar system contains a body (one of the closest to their own) in Eve, which has plenty of a purplish liquid.  Secondly, one of the moons around their gas giant is mostly a blue liquid.  If you're saying a space obsessed people wouldn't be interested in researching such things, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I think stock can handle boats just fine as is, and the KSC is close enough to the ocean not to warrant a designated dock.  One of the great things about KSP is that people do crazy stuff with parts as they were never intended to be used. I just saw examples of people using fairings as rotor bearings. People make boats work all the time with what they have, I see no need to specialize there. Plus, designated boat parts would be very strange to work with.  Lego-ing hull segments together doesn't seem like it would work as well with naval hulls as it does with space/aircraft.

That being said, an electric or liquid fuel propeller / impeller would be amazing - current propulsion methods are pretty limited. Air-breathers do well enough until you get to Eve, and nothing else matches that level of efficiency. 

14 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

When did anyone say Naval fleets?  I'm asking for exploratory subs and such.  Are you also against exploring the oceans on Earth?

Look.  Kerbals live in a universe where their solar system contains a body (one of the closest to their own) in Eve, which has plenty of a purplish liquid.  Secondly, one of the moons around their gas giant is mostly a blue liquid.  If you're saying a space obsessed people wouldn't be interested in researching such things, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Earth is not in Kerbal Space Program, and if you want to explore oceans in a game, I highly recommend Subnautica.  It's designed for that purpose, KSP is not.

Otherwise, you have mods.  That's how it is going to have to be.

Edited by Alshain

For anyone that's ever suggested a Rover testing facility; I present to you Squad's constant answer- 

xeRuPpr.png

The massive rolling planes west of the KSC. It's a perfect example for most atmospheric bodies as the terrain generally doesn't get more diverse than that anyway so it's a perfect simuloid requiring 0% development.

Besides I already proposed an idea like this before

4s8Jzhl.jpg

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Need a way to toss my trashcans 'High Tech Vehicles' off an asteroid. I tend to take my rovers to Pol (via HyperEdit) for testing and if they can handle that... Rove! [We need more forum emoticons in the form of satellites, rockets, planes rovers], otherwise back to the Drawing Board. 

Fun Fact: 10.98% of my rovers survive and only .009876% (of total) of my rovers survive and graduate their 'test drive'...

Yeah my rovers have a very short lifespan. All my rover are filled with 40+ RTGs and pollute Pol. Thank goodness there isn't a radiation mechanic... :D 

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.