What would the third launch place be?

Would you like a third place to launch your crafts?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a third place to launch your crafts?

• Yeah, sure, why not?
    • Maybe, don't really care, not my problem.
    • No way! two is enough!

On 8/6/2017 at 9:11 PM, blorgon said:

I feel like you guys are forgetting about the R&D building!

I'm pretty sure this is a wind tunnel on the right:

R&D_Facility.jpg

Obviously it's just art, but since it's there, it would be nice to be able to use it. There'd probably need to be an extra building added for the rover proving ground which would be totally freaking awesome:

3-2018missionm.jpg

It'd be sweet to select the rover proving ground and then get a prompt for the type of terrain you want to test your rover on. That would also open up research possibilities, since you'd need to send a probe/impactor to get some good science on the type of terrain on any given body you haven't been to yet in order to be able to replicate it in the "Mars yard".

EDIT: I guess having different terrain types in the Mars yard would necessitate including different types of terrain in the actual game 8{

What about a dedicated laser plotter with range limits and you save that exact terrain, say increasing the range by upgrading via tech tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, a rover testing ground would be awesome. Especially if, like previously stated, you could unlock new terrain types by transmitting science data (using a new science part - "Rover Research Module" or something like that) from the actual terrain you want to simulate. And then you could make it upgradeable like the other buildings.

Level 1: Just a large, slightly bumpy indoor area. Not able to simulate terrain.

Level 2: Larger, and has the ability to simulate terrain (to a certain extent).

Level 3: Very large, and has the ability to simulate very bumpy terrain and water. Also, maybe the final level allows you to create your own "custom" terrain (within reason), and/or to simulate different levels of gravity.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:11 PM, blorgon said:

I'm pretty sure this is a wind tunnel on the right:

R&D_Facility.jpg

Obviously it's just art, but since it's there, it would be nice to be able to use it.

Ideally you would select planet and altitude and fly with 1km from KSC be the realistic terrain and the rest requires you to take flight there. Hitbox requires parts touch it for accuracy in career with Sand/Science mode have data preloaded. Speed also is scalable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...two is enough. In fact just the runaway is enough.

That don't mean more options would not be welcomed.

Being able to deploy seaplanes, boats and submarines directly in the water makes sense.

Personally I'd like to have a railway (and assorted parts to use it properly).

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, klgraham1013 said:

If we don't have boats and subs on other celestial bodies before I die, I will be generally disappointed.

It's all on you my friend. One can build stock propellers (see U tube) that also work as boat propellers one could use this on a empty ore tank submarine and I've seen good working replicas already. They're actually eye catching if you give it some thought/work and they function quite well. If that's to worse for ya one could always use mods. Give it a few days planning on your own and some craft builds and you'll be fishing the kraken from Laythe's sea bed before weeks end.

No reason to die horribly when you can be your own superhero today:P

OT: I know the Delta-V requirements are slim compared to real life and that kerbins angle is 0 degrees against the ecliptic. So my initial argument would be to place another launch site on a latitude at a inclination that would match somewhat closer to specific planes like moho and dres if launched from said location during specific times of the year. If that would actually be helpful, I don't know. Just a thought.
Ofcourse this wont get you there but might send people in a more favourable departure orbit so these destinations can be easier navigated towards for players still in the ksp learning curve. This might also be a little bit more efficient for spaceplanes as the intial departure burn will be less and you wont have to turn in the lower atmosphere wasting LF for said destinations. Maybe it will actually complicate things for people. I don't know, but it seems handy to me.

11 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

So my initial argument would be to place another launch site on a latitude at a inclination that would match somewhat closer to specific planes like moho and dres if launched from said location during specific times of the year.

But launching from a equatorial position allow to launch into any Inclination while doing it away fron the equator  will bring limitations.   So I'd expect to be difficult, if not impossible,  to get a better launch window from a location at high  latitude. 

OTOH the slower rotation velocity may help with polar orbits. 

@SpricigoYes you can get to any inclination from a equatorial orbit and do the same for less. Launching anywhere from but the KSC (90 degrees) is more demanding Delta-V wise. That said I got a little of track in my previous reply.

But I tried thinking ahead a little and perhaps it's  actually easier for some people if they're exposed to inclined orbits from the get go by launching in such directions. New people where I refer to Reddit, some videos show inability of people or lack of will to learn themselves inclination changes, and mind you that I'm not that much of a master at it. I rather use gravity assists from a 90 degrees parking orbit around Kerbin to get to places. Adding this my way however may launch people into learning about matching inclinations in game, maybe supported through a in game tutorial right from the start. 

Thinking about it a 2nd time, a polar KSC might indeed be a better idea. I like to visit the poles atleast once during a career play, it will also be good for what you said, so it be good if I could launch my vessels straight from there.

Edited by Helmetman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.