Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This challenge is simple. We all start with the exact same rocket, patterned after a Delta IV Heavy (I'll explain why in a moment). We all have the same payload: three large ore holding tanks and a probe core. The challenge is to fill the ore tanks as full as you can and still make orbit with a periapsis over 85 km.

Here's the rocket (you can build it yourself in a few moments):

screenshot1.png

Three orange tanks with Skipper engines, large nose cones on the side tanks, Rockomax and TT-70 decouplers, a Poodle upper stage engine, an X200-16 upper stage tank, and the smallest probe core. I suggest autostrutting everything.

Since we all have the same rocket, this challenge will come down to piloting and nothing else. I chose the Delta IV Heavy design because it introduces a range of variables associated with throttling down the core engine or transferring fuel in order to maximize effective dV. The amount of ore you choose to attempt will greatly affect TWR, which will change your gravity turn accordingly. I chose 85x85 (or greater) to add an additional variable as far as lofted trajectories are concerned.

Obviously, no MechJeb or other piloting mods.

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is Kerbal Engineer allowed?

also, would be nice to put the craft file somewher to be downloaded

What does Kerbal Engineer give? I'd prefer not to include stuff that makes it way easier to fly.

Part of the challenge is recreating it; it's a very simple design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

What does Kerbal Engineer give? I'd prefer not to include stuff that makes it way easier to fly.

Part of the challenge is recreating it; it's a very simple design.

Then it's not a good challenge, because you run the risk of someone doing something different.  For example, saying "smallest probe core" can be interpreted more than one way, or someone can use the wrong part,etc.

if you want a challenge to rebuild a ship, then do one for that.  But the main point of this challenge is thr piloting skills.  Best to eliminate any possible question by providing a craft file so that everyone starts off with identical ships

Edited by linuxgurugamer
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Then it's not a good challenge, because you run the risk of someone doing something different.  For example, saying "smallest probe core" can be interpreted more than one way, or someone can use the wrong part,etc.

Best to eliminate any possible question by providing a craft file so that everyone starts off with identical ships

I would happily share the craft file but I didn't have a chance to upload it. However, the screenshot I have above identifies all the parts, including the probe core. Everything is right there in the screenshot, labeled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I would happily share the craft file but I didn't have a chance to upload it. However, the screenshot I have above identifies all the parts, including the probe core. Everything is right there in the screenshot, labeled.

So get it uploaded to KerbalX and put a link into the OP.

Until everyone is using the same craft file, you cant say they are identical.  Heck, even the placement of the decouplers can have an effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2017 at 7:51 PM, Eidahlil said:

2700 units of ore. I don't want to fly that rocket again. :D

That's cool. I didn't even manage to get a stable orbit with such weight.

Is it really possible to get anything in the third tank? In my install (KSP 1.2.2) the rocket barely lifts off launchpad with 2.7-3k ore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, Pand5461 said:

That's cool. I didn't even manage to get a stable orbit with such weight.

Is it really possible to get anything in the third tank? In my install (KSP 1.2.2) the rocket barely lifts off launchpad with 2.7-3k ore.

The rocket will lift off with full ore tanks if you let it burn off a couple hundred kgs of propellant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...