Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

Some leaked orbital testing footage. Guess what this is all about...

36ddee032947.png

And all of this didn't want to fit into HRO-M too well. But then HRO-M03 has slightly longer bay due to the ramp.

At least these parts have no issue with getting out of the bay. Still need to work on couple small things - satellites got damaged when I tried to release them

34 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

36ddee032947.png

And all of this didn't want to fit into HRO-M too well. But then HRO-M03 has slightly longer bay due to the ramp.

At least these parts have no issue with getting out of the bay. Still need to work on couple small things - satellites got damaged when I tried to release them

STS-3 (HST)?

On 14. 11. 2017 at 5:38 PM, hoioh said:

And here we go with a flawless STS-4 at 500km altitude and with 8+4 Kerbals and at an angle of 26 degrees to the equator.

On 15. 11. 2017 at 11:00 PM, hoioh said:

And STS 5-8 while I'm at it, this is a long one! 226 screenshots in a row:

Oh, why fly 5 shuttle missions when you can fly 7 of them :) I like the station design, and the extra-curricular activity of two added flights, so here are your badges, sir, and you are cleared to take your shuttle interplanetary!

2LypmZP.jpg?1t3gSvqs.jpg?1

Michal.don

11 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Looks like we're all going to get a lesson in space engineering soon, looking forward to it :)

On 18-11-2017 at 10:52 AM, michal.don said:

Oh, why fly 5 shuttle missions when you can fly 7 of them :) I like the station design, and the extra-curricular activity of two added flights, so here are your badges, sir, and you are cleared to take your shuttle interplanetary!

Thank you kindly, sir! It was all just a bit more fun this way, assembling all of those parts in orbit

And on we go with STS Mun 1, which I'll admit is significantly harder than anything before it. Had to rebuild my shuttle three times before I got it just so I could reliably land it on the mun. And then had to rebuild once more because I messed up my aerodynamic stability with an empty hull...

https://imgur.com/a/rXusl

I had to capture in 2 parts in order to make it to the KSC, hope you don't mind.

26 minutes ago, hoioh said:

And on we go with STS Mun 1, which I'll admit is significantly harder than anything before it.

Yes, the transition from LKO to deep space is really demanding, on both design and piloting. Congratulations on making the first step :)

The mission looks fine, and the giant LRBs are just terrifying :D Just a small question - how did the payload deployment go? It looks it doesn't have that much ground clearance, did it drive through the cargo bay ramp, or was another method in place? I did not see that in the screenshots.

Anyway, great job, and here is your badge:

4v8SMSj.jpg?1

Michal.don

I managed to drive it off the ramp by moving backwards and forwards a lot, it's a bit of a sh*tshow. Even lost a solar panel in the process. And not because it doesn't fit, it does, I tested it on the KSC grounds a couple times, but because on the mun for some inexplicable reason the wheels lock up every other second. In the end I freed it up by throttling up the shuttle after which it fell out and the panel broke off.

I'm not sure why the wheels freeze up though, they work just fine on the KSC grounds... I think for the next round I'm going to see if I can create a somewhat roomier cargo space.

It's almost (don't kill me) a podracer, right? It looks like those massive LRB's are just dragging the shuttle behind it like a capsule on a string. :cool:

Edited by hoioh

And we have landed!

fa8503ffeb1c.png

- Hm, weren't we supposed to use another craft?
- Whatever. This one is better
- Yeah, right. Was anybody counting the reloads?
- But now we found the proper way to land it here! And with much less mess than initial version.
- Guys, I don't want to spoil the fun, but the ISRU rig is not in the shuttle this time.
- Oops, another reload

OK, enough messing with the shuttle, here's the actual lander. And quite reliably doing its job here, unlike an aircraft with barely any air to use

e643399ec50b.png

Why is the terrain so ... whitish? It had enough fuel (and it even was loaded only by 2/3!) for 90 degree plane change (overshot the actual pole a bit, but it looked like the Kraken made a nest there). But for the return to the station we'll have to hop to some more equatorial location first (well, haven't somebody requested a reusable lander?)

Unfortunately, the small ISRU converter is not that good (was considering taking the large one, but the total size went a bit through the roof payload bay) so it may take a while. Not that we have a window for return trip anywhere soon anyway.
P.S. Actually it takes just couple days (Duna days, not Kerbin) to refuel, even if the panels can't support everything at full power. Not that long, if you don't try to refuel entire HRO.

Edited by Alchemist

• 2 weeks later...

I'd some spare time last week, so I tried STS 5-8. I've struggled somehow to show all flights and maneuvers. Because I don't want to show you a ton of pictures I've made a video but it is shortened a lot. @michal.don, let me know if you need any further proof, I still have the footprints. 

I hope y'all enjoy! 

P.S. No one knows exactly what the last station part is for... Some rumors say, it might be some kind of kerbals-magically-shooting-for-the-stars-device...*pfff

P.P.S.

On 10.10.2017 at 8:29 PM, michal.don said:

Just one thing - you still have to complete the STS-2 comm-sat mission before moving on to STS-3 (Hubble)

I've already accomplished STS 1-4 in v3 of the Shuttle Challenge. I'm confused now, do I have to do it again?

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138059-shuttle-challenge-v3-the-11x-sts-thread-stock-and-mod-friendly11102016-closed-for-refurbishment/&do=findComment&comment=2621427

P.P.P.S.

I've uploaded the craftfile of STS Space Shuttle "Eriksson 4.0" to kerbalx

8 hours ago, funk said:

I've already accomplished STS 1-4 in v3 of the Shuttle Challenge. I'm confused now, do I have to do it again?

I am 99.99% sure that you don't have to do the missions again. A new challenge version = new maintainer/new missions but does not invalidate previous achievements!

(0.01% certainty missing because I am not micheal.don) :wink: 

Awesome video btw!

On 8. 12. 2017 at 9:24 AM, Fulgora said:

Not-quite-business-as-usual in the shuttle program. Enjoy! :)

Several mission completed in one? Nice :) As I can see hubble already deployed, I suppose you already completed STS-3 in the previous versions of the challenge? The rescue looks pretty smooth, good job! If you already completed the STS-3, here's your badge:

2LypmZP.jpg?1

As the skunkworks badge goes, it is really rare to be awarded. So far, I have only awarded one. And while your autopilot is indeed impressive, the STS-Jool 5 seems even crazier to me. Maybe it's because I have zero experience with writing autopilot scripts, but I think it's not skunkworks-worhty yet.

On 9. 12. 2017 at 3:17 AM, funk said:

I'd some spare time last week, so I tried STS 5-8.

This is much better than five hundred screenshots in an album, thank you for that :) I especially loved the four launch sequences running simultaneously. Great looking station, precise flying, and a badge for you, commander:

t3gSvqs.jpg?1

Of course the missions flown in previous versions still count, I was just confused by the missing badge in your signature.

On 9. 12. 2017 at 4:59 AM, Mayer said:

I still have a shuttle from my career. Is this right, just have some cargo and do these missions?

Are all engines allowed, my Orbiter has LV-N?

Sure, I flew most of the shuttle missions in carreer mode, too. Some of them got quite expensive, but at least it helped me build some infrastructure both in LKO and beyond. Pretty much all engines are ok, maybe except for some horribly overpowered engines from mods. LV-N is completely fine.

Michal.don

6 hours ago, michal.don said:

Several mission completed in one? Nice :) As I can see hubble already deployed, I suppose you already completed STS-3 in the previous versions of the challenge?

I do have a history of combining payloads for different STS missions thus my badge numbering is a bit off but I did indeed already complete STS 3 (which can be viewed when clicking on my STS 2 badge) :cool: I will sort out my singature badges shortly so its less confusing...

Thanks for the Badge - now I just need to finish post production for STS 7+8 :)

On 12. 12. 2017 at 7:38 PM, Pro100kerbonaut said:

STS 1b

A classic looking shuttle, with an added engine on the ET, nice! The ascent looked a bit violent, probably due to large TWR, but nicely managed. Orbital operations went on during the dark, as is nice and proper. Curious reentry procedure, with the bay door open, I did not see that coming :) But, then a problem emerged - the landing.... Man, I'd like to award you the badge, as you definitely took the pod to orbit, but slamming the shuttle to the ocean in full speed and losing wings and probably more in the process does not count as landing, I'm sorry.

Michal.don

P.S. I'm sorry for not maintaining the challenge more often now, hold with me for a few more weeks before I finish my diploma thesis, then I'll be able to stop by more frequently, and the long-promissed new missions will come :)

Duna STS-2

https://imgur.com/a/BPnZQ

I would have liked to do the report in video format, but I'm afraid I don't have enough spare time for all the video editing, so it's an imgur album this time.  I'd suggest reviewing it after getting your diploma, michal.don :wink:  Best of luck with the thesis!

Craft files:

https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Supernova-mk-2

https://kerbalx.com/Ozelui/Pulsar-shuttle-2-mk-3

Edited by Ozelui

On 22. 12. 2017 at 10:51 PM, Ozelui said:

I would have liked to do the report in video format, but I'm afraid I don't have enough spare time for all the video editing, so it's an imgur album this time.  I'd suggest reviewing it after getting your diploma, michal.don :wink:  Best of luck with the thesis!

I can't make you wait that long, that wouldn't be very nice of me :) So, about the mission....

I really, really was not ready for that one :D Wow, just wow.... I wonder which part of "Go to Duna - land on Duna - visit the outpost - go home" you did not understand, because this mission rather seems like at least four Duna missions combined :) But seriously - great work, excelent example of great engineering (especially the station is really beautiful) nad piloting (precision landings on Duna are no easy feat). I'm a bit mad at you, because some of the things you accomplished in this mission were planned for STS-Duna 4, so I have to rework that one, but I'll mange :wink:

One more point I'd like to make - the "small" shuttle is a big one itself, but I love the screenshot where it is absolutely dwarfed by the big one.... It puts things into perspective :)

So, congratulations, here is your well earned badge, commander!

x6647zx.jpg?1

And I hope the original challenge creators and admins would agree with me, this madness is a proper Skunkworks material, so welcome to the elite club, @Ozelui!

W0Cdh2Y.jpg?1

And to all of you, I'd like to wish merry christmas, happy holidays and at least a few days of peace and quiet with your loved ones. Enjoy the rest of the year and I hope you have a great start into the new one. I hope to see you all here soon with some crazy new designs flying your shuttles all over the place.

jq4zpja.png

Michal.don

21 hours ago, michal.don said:

I wonder which part of "Go to Duna - land on Duna - visit the outpost - go home" you did not understand

After loading the final modules for the orbital outpost there was a lot of unused space in the cargo bay... and the shuttles were already in transit by the time the Duna STS-3 was released, so at launch i wasn't expecting to go back to the red planet in a loooooong while.

22 hours ago, michal.don said:

I'm a bit mad at you, because some of the things you accomplished in this mission were planned for STS-Duna 4, so I have to rework that one, but I'll mange :wink:

Kindly contact the KSC black ops department informing them about the offending equipment.  I'm confident it will not be hit by a meteor / aliens / nuke / etc shortly :wink:

23 hours ago, michal.don said:

this madness is a proper Skunkworks material

:o:o:o:o Th-Thank you! I was expecting it to be pilot level after not landing on the runway the first time!

Merry Christmas, and a happy new year!

Well, I tried to finish my Duna-3 mission. Found a proper window for Duna-Eve-Kerbin maneuver (with over a year of waiting at Duna and an option to get straight to Kerbin faster - yeah, not exactly what that was meant to be for)... only to discover that it takes not only 1 km/s for Duna-Eve ejection burn (which I still have in the tanks) but also over 300 m/s for mid-course plane correction (which I don't have even if I take all the fuel from the satellites). This window turned out to have terrible plane alignment for Duna-Eve flight (on the other hand, it gives an option to arrange Kerbin intercept after slingshot with no further corrections).

Looks like I'm a bit stuck... and the lander reaches orbit with barely any fuel left (aerodynamics? ask the shuttle not the payload). It will likely take quite a few runs down there to refuel the shuttle to the appropriate level. Not that we have anywhere to rush anyway

Hah, if the previous Duna landing went as initially envisioned (that is with deployable mining rover, like the one used on Laythe), I could have solved the issue by revisiting the landing site with the shuttle itself. But right now the contraption I brought this time has the only usable ISRU rig around there.

On 26. 12. 2017 at 11:28 AM, Ozelui said:

:o:o:o:o Th-Thank you! I was expecting it to be pilot level after not landing on the runway the first time!

Well, you're right, a combination of pilot/skunkworks would probably be more appropriate, but since the mission was really awesome, I decided to "overlook" the short landing :)

16 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Looks like I'm a bit stuck... and the lander reaches orbit with barely any fuel left (aerodynamics? ask the shuttle not the payload). It will likely take quite a few runs down there to refuel the shuttle to the appropriate level. Not that we have anywhere to rush anyway

Hah, if the previous Duna landing went as initially envisioned (that is with deployable mining rover, like the one used on Laythe), I could have solved the issue by revisiting the landing site with the shuttle itself. But right now the contraption I brought this time has the only usable ISRU rig around there.

That looks like a tricky situation, indeed. As you observed, not all Duna-Eve-Kerbin transfers are equal, and certainly not all of them are useful. Still, waiting for one that will shorten the mission time could take years of time-warping, which not everyone is willing to do.

I wish you the best of luck with your mission, as the previews promise it would be quite interesting.

One final word of warning - while you have found a transfer that will bring you back to Kerbin without any correction burns after leaving Eve, be sure to check your Kerbin entry speed. These transfers are rarely the Hohman type, and tent to get quite fast and hot :wink:

Michal.don

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

One final word of warning - while you have found a transfer that will bring you back to Kerbin without any correction burns after leaving Eve, be sure to check your Kerbin entry speed. These transfers are rarely the Hohman type, and tent to get quite fast and hot :wink:

Yep, same findings here. I was checking flyby finder earlier to plan my missions to duna... there are some transfers which have around 1100m/s dV transevar injection burn and around 1400m/s kerbin braking dV. But these constellations only occure every 4-5 years.

But I'm sure @Alchemist will find a way...

In the meanwhile I've got a Mun STS-1 mission report with "Kandle Rider" for you. It's a Dreamchaser/Space Rider/Hermes mixture or simply a MiniShuttle:

http://imgur.com//a/HYZTk

And a little teaser of my Energija/Buran, which just came out of testing and is ready for mun and duna missions.

http://imgur.com//a/UXJI5

Even my Laythe orbiter has been tested already... *Note to myself: Stop building - fly that damn missions!*

Edited by funk