Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

2 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

Only pilot? Shame.

While the sats really were impressive, the lack of spin-stabilisation and precise orbits do not qualify for commander level badge, I'm really sorry. But given the payload capacity on your shuttle, I'm really looking forward to see the telescope :wink:

2 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

STS-1B

Great to see you back again :wink:

NIce mission, very precise orbit, so no problems on my part. Out of curiosity - what is the major flaw that you mentioned? In did not notice any.

Here is your badge:

giYU8fw.jpg?1

Just a small detail - would you please include a few more screenshots (Booster separation, ET separation, additional maneuvres etc.) in your next report? Thanks,

Michal.don

A little tease from my MUN STS-2 > 4 mission reports, just finished MUN STS 2 to my own satisfaction at 84 degrees south, now I'll have to get the other stuff over to the base (I'll likely make more than just the three trips to complete the base)

https://imgur.com/a/yjkAY

Full report will follow once all missions are completed

Not to be dissuaded by the disappointment of STS-02A/B (but specifically the A part), WASP is eager to redeem itself with the STS-03 mission, launching an orbital observatory... well, in orbit. The Artemis shuttle launched the HORATIO (High ORbit AlTitude Interstellar Observatory) into a ~671 km circular orbit, inclined roughly 27 degrees to the normal. The design of HORATIO is not dissimilar from the HST, but unique in its own way.

Or it should have, at least. STS-03-1 ended with a total loss of crew and vehicle after a miscalculation in reentry angle.

To Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Valentina, you will be missed reverted to a prior save. Full album here if you want to view: https://imgur.com/a/9pKwf

This properly executed attempt is missing a large amount of required shots, for the sole purpose of each ascent is the exact same every time. This album does include orbital planning (to prove I did it properly) and the adjusted telescope orbit.

https://imgur.com/a/3VsWM

12 hours ago, hoioh said:

A little tease from my MUN STS-2 > 4

Nice! I'm looking forward to see where this is going :)

3 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

WASP is eager to redeem itself with the STS-03 mission, launching an orbital observatory...

Well you certainly were not exaggerating, the telescope is indeed impressive. However....

You won't probably like me for pointing that out, but the mission is to design the telescope and two MMUs (manned maneuvering units), which are used to assemble the telescope in orbit. From the screenshots it seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you just attached a command seat and some RCS to the solar arrays, which is not how the mission is supposed to be like.

So I unfortunately can not award you the badge, I'm sorry.

If you are not certain what exactly I mean, take a look at my mission a few versions of the challenge ago: https://imgur.com/a/sZPGh

I hope this does not discourage you from this challenge,

Michal.don

On 24. 1. 2018 at 4:33 AM, funk said:

Hey guys, how is it going? I'm back with the first part of the Duna missions using Energija w/ Buran. Enjoy!

Beautiful!

Great job with the missions and the editing, I really enjoyed your report. Also, I have to say, I love your shuttle :wink: Jus one question though - I did not recognise several parts on your station and on the LV, and I'm not sure whether they are modded parts, or just stock parts used very creatively. Could you share your modlist, please, so I can place you in a correct category?

Thanks,

Michal.don

2 hours ago, michal.don said:

Jus one question though - I did not recognise several parts on your station and on the LV, and I'm not sure whether they are modded parts, or just stock parts used very creatively. Could you share your modlist, please, so I can place you in a correct category?

Thx for your answer @michal.don. What do you mean with LV? The refinery/mining rig? You can get the Duna STS-1 & 2 craftfiles here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cvL1Q6dfTOjfO7CjnZM42VM33S2yCOEu (hullcam mod needed)

I've only used stock parts except the cameras from hullcam mod. Tbh I forgot mostly about them being there during the flight. They were ment to have some nice pictures during landing etc. but I was probably to busy handling Buran.

All other mods are visual or informational.

Regarding the WorldStabilizer Mod it's more a bugfix than game changing. I installed it when I tried my second mun mission and because I wanted to have some pictures flying around the base. I recognized, that everytime I entered physics range the Shuttle/Buran just jumped a few meters. Tried it with KJR but it didn't help. Since WS is installed I wasn't on the mun anymore:(. So I cannot tell if it helps or not. I switched over to Duna mission cause of a launch window. For Duna it doesn't matter if it is installed or not, cause it has enough gravity. But anyway my question is for the mun missions, will it be considered as modded with WS?

The second part of the Duna missions will have to wait until my Laythe mission is accomplished... damn launch windows!

Screenshot Gamedata: https://imgur.com/Izhdb1p

39 minutes ago, funk said:

What do you mean with LV? The refinery/mining rig? You can get the Duna STS-1 & 2 craftfiles here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cvL1Q6dfTOjfO7CjnZM42VM33S2yCOEu (hullcam mod needed)

By LV I meant the "launch vehicle" :wink:

I did not recognize some of the parts, but upon closer look, it is probably just a combination of tanks and fairings. None of the mods is an issue, so I can cladly award you a "stock" badge - congratulations!

HqSBQUS.jpg?1

Michal.don

Hello there! After much frustration due to poorly designed MMUs, WASP  is proud to present STS-03... done properly this time. It took four attempts, several weeks, and the entire R&D department going on strike, but we did it!

https://imgur.com/a/3StpB Here's the final link to everything. Hopefully we can finally tick this one off the list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who are curious (or don't want to scroll back), here's the previous attempts, compiled into one convenient area!

V3: https://imgur.com/a/Aepxs 

Reason for failure: used 1 MMU instead of 2

V2: https://imgur.com/a/3VsWM

Reason for failure: Didn't use MMUs... at all. (New shuttle reveal at the end of it, go check it out)

And finally, V1: https://imgur.com/a/9pKwf

Reason for failure: LOCV and didn't use MMUs. I don't really learn.

Edited by wrench-in-the-works

On 30. 1. 2018 at 4:27 AM, wrench-in-the-works said:

After much frustration due to poorly designed MMUs, WASP  is proud to present STS-03... done properly this time.

And this, my friends, is how you build a space telescope. It took several attempts, sure, but as they say, practice makes perfect!

I'm glad the neccessity to repeat the mission did not discourage you, and that you are continuing the challenge. So, at last, your well-deserved badge:

qZ10w1g.jpg?1

congrats!

Michal.don

6 hours ago, michal.don said:

I'm glad the neccessity to repeat the mission did not discourage you, and that you are continuing the challenge.

It was closer than I'd like to admit, but I want those Jool badges. (And maybe a skunkworks badge if I can pull off something really impressive. Stay tuned.)

So, we tried launching our next-generation shuttle prototype, Orion but we ran into the slight problem of running out of fuel.

So the next course of action was to send up a rescue mission.

But then we realized that we only have one Orion, so we needed to get it back.

While we didn't have a concrete plan for getting the shuttle back, a spare klaw left over from some mission we never ran accidentally got stuck on an Artemis shuttle, and the idea spread across KSC like a plague.

Attach Orion to Artemis, and bring it back.

And so they did.

https://imgur.com/a/Cp9KF

Here goes my elaborately long Mun 2-(4)7 mission report. It's actualy so long it requires two imgur albums:

Part 1: (the shorter part because if you upload them 1 at a time imgur puts the latest image on top, so you have to do it in reverse order if you don't wanna sort 500 images that have been arranged in a totally random order from uploading them all at once. One might almost think they don't want us to their service for this purpose anymore....)

https://imgur.com/a/zLgwZ

Part 2:

https://imgur.com/a/Ayx4w

I actually flew the missions a while ago, but organizing 564 screenshots was not something I was looking forward to.

I forgot to race around with the crew inside the rover, but I've clearly shown the rovers driving capability so I hope you can look through that.

Well, it's a little unorthodox, but it's been about a week since my last full submission, so I'll post this one just to get it off the back burner (and to save some time in the long run).

After a few days, we assembled a full station, putting the required modules together in three launches! Unfortunately, this left a bit of an issue, there was a requirement of four missions, so what to do with the last one? We put the last bit of the docking arm on the station of course.

There's a handful of images at the very end of the mission showcasing a BFR (that I definitely won't use again later) transferring the crew and the three remaining modules for the docking arm. These aren't to be graded, since, well, it was launched with a straight rocket.

Here it is, as a warning, it's big. 138 images big. I'm sorry. https://imgur.com/a/mCAwM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're down here looking for clarification on the last two pictures, yes that is a class "E" asteroid. I'm going to get it in one launch. (As a note, it weights about 2.7k tons. I'm looking forward to this.)

Edited by wrench-in-the-works

@wrench-in-the-works, @hoioh, I'm sorry for the unusual delay in reviewing your entries. I've moved to a different house a few days ago, and I'm still not connected to the internet, and to keep things interesting, I'm preparing for the final big exam of my university studies on wednesday. So, please, just wait a few more days and I'll sort everything out, I promise :wink:

Michal.don

On 9/14/2017 at 4:43 PM, biomecaman said:

Hello Andetch, I write, produce and record music. I would love to compose some original spacey backing tracks for use in KSP videos, let me know if you are interested, same goes for everyone else, just shoot me a PM!

Sounds awesome! 

Also later this year I plan to start up a new YouTube channel and I would have a series that would be KSP with a storyline, maybe we could work together?

12 hours ago, michal.don said:

@wrench-in-the-works, @hoioh, I'm sorry for the unusual delay in reviewing your entries. I've moved to a different house a few days ago, and I'm still not connected to the internet, and to keep things interesting, I'm preparing for the final big exam of my university studies on wednesday. So, please, just wait a few more days and I'll sort everything out, I promise :wink:

Michal.don

Take your time @michal.don exams are most certainly more important than KSP. Do you like the new place?

16 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

Thanks for the update, and best of luck!

Thanks, hopefully, this crazy period is almost over - I should be online by the end of the week, and, if everything goes well, I'll have my master's degree tomorrow :)

11 hours ago, hoioh said:

Do you like the new place?

Do I like it? I absolutely love it :)

Spoiler

Fm4cVSA.jpg

It's a beautiful flat in an old house, and it's quite different than all the other flats I've seen while hunting for a place to live. It's still very much WIP though, I still don't have essentials like an internet connection or a fridge. But it's all slowly coming together. It's quite a big place, about 110 square meters, so I rented it with a friend until it's finally time to grow up and start families and stuff :)

Michal.don

I had a moment (actually, more like an hour) to get to your entries, so let's do this:

On 3. 2. 2018 at 9:27 PM, wrench-in-the-works said:

So, we tried launching our next-generation shuttle prototype, Orion but we ran into the slight problem of running out of fuel.

So the next course of action was to send up a rescue mission.

But then we realized that we only have one Orion, so we needed to get it back.

Why rescue just the crew when you can get the whole shuttle? I really did not see that coming, and I am seriously impressed :)

bi6LEcy.jpg?1

On 11. 2. 2018 at 5:54 AM, wrench-in-the-works said:

After a few days, we assembled a full station, putting the required modules together in three launches! Unfortunately, this left a bit of an issue, there was a requirement of four missions, so what to do with the last one? We put the last bit of the docking arm on the station of course.

On the other hand, given the sheer size of your shuttle, I expected the station to be somewhat larger. Nevertheless, it is a perfectly flown mission, so wort another commander badge. Congrats!

dmyqfvY.jpg?1

One thing that surprised me a bit though - you seem to use a seemingly very inefficient launch profile - why is that so? Is the shuttle too untable in lower atmosphere, or is it just so over-capable that you just don't give a damn? :D

On 8. 2. 2018 at 9:08 PM, hoioh said:

Here goes my elaborately long Mun 2-(4)7 mission report. It's actualy so long it requires two imgur albums:

Alright, that's a proper space campaign - six Mun missions in one go! Good job on landing all the stuff pretty close to the base location, and thumbs up for a very nice base design!

So, a commander badge for you as well, congratulations!

AFtQVK6.jpg?1

And, by the way, since wednesday, I am oficially a certified civil engineer (master's degree), so I suggest all of you guys to avoid any newly constructed bridges and tunnels in cetral Europe from now on - you never know which ones might be of my design..... :D

Michal.don