Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

48 minutes ago, michal.don said:

yeah, that Von Braun guy was a pretty clever fellow :) Nice mission, bunch of sats deployed at Eve SOI, and the kerbals have a ride to Duna surface, I call that a successful day! A few questions about the lander - what's thhe big black round part at the bottom? I don't know that one, and I can't figure out what does it do :) And, where is all the fuel? In the grey tank-looking things on the bottom? Just curious :)

Anyway, your well earned badges, and good luck with the next destinations!

Thanks for the badges @michal.don Work has begun on the space potato recovery.

The round black thing is a fuel tank, it's called dragon capsule fuel tank and some tweak scale with some Small RCS tanks clipped into it and the engines attached to it as well as the grey landing legs

48 minutes ago, michal.don said:

BFR with a little oversized wings, I guess :) Nice mission, the outpost is starting to look like a proper place to live. Using the support launch is not an issue at all, this is why the rules allow it - Duna's delta-V requirements are hard to estimate for each spacecraft. I have to ask though - is the detachable nose cone a single part, or did you make the hinge yourself?

Anyway, here is your badge, great job!

Those wings do sure work though! Once you understand the entry trajectory the whole thing is a breeze to land as long as the roll flaps don't start to wobble that is.

The nose cone a single part, belongs to something called NCR, it's also where the cargo bay comes from. I believe it's parts of "Near future launch vehicles". I wouldn't presume to know how to make a hinge with stock parts, let alone a nose cone I can open and close at will.

Edited by hoioh
moar to say

2 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Oh, I almost missed this one! And an impressive one that is, a 100% reusable system! Despite the limited crew facilities (I really, really wouldn't like to sit 50 days in that "cockpit" :) ), I really like your design, and I am curious how far you'll be able to take it. So, here are your badges and congratulations!

Thanks! Yea, I have plans for a longer version with much more crew capacity than that tiny capsule. Question though: does it have to be a command pod, or just a Hitchhiker will be enough?

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

About your mission - I'm going to repeat myslef a bit, but I really like your creative design on both the Shuttle/LV, and your lander. I think the lander is the smallest crewed thing I've seen SSTO on Duna. Would you mind sharing the stats of that thing (mass, engines, delta-V margins).

Thx for your reply. For the first part here is a screenshot of the lander in the VAB : https://imgur.com/pKy11B5

When I cut the video, I'm always uncertain, which parts need to be with UI so that viewers can see the stats. It might be way easier to show the UI all the time, but imho it ruins the picture somehow. In the clips I made so far, at least in the map you can see the important numbers in the hud. It's a balancing act. Same goes for acceleration of the original footage and the cuts, cause I don't like to watch videos longer than 10 min. I'm trying to let you see the important information without having to many jump cuts. Sometimes I cut scenes which have been done a thousand times before, like a rendevouz. I'm still learning here and the cutting programm I'm using sometimes is a b.... . If you don't know already, you can slow down the replay speed in the settings on youtube.

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

One issue though - if I'm not mistaken, you did not complete (or at least share here) the Duna STS-2 mission (landing on Duna with your shuttle), so I can't award you the STS-3 badge, yet. If you did land there and I just forgot about it and did not notice the report in the thread, you have my sincerest apologies and I'll deliver the badge ASAP :)

It has been a while, when I released the first episode of the Duna missions, in which I finished Duna STS-1, landed Duna STS-2 and docked it to the station. Don't worry you had probably more important things in your head than KSP at this time.

https://youtu.be/zC4BpyGccNM?t=240

Edited by funk

1 hour ago, hoioh said:

The nose cone a single part, belongs to something called NCR, it's also where the cargo bay comes from. I believe it's parts of "Near future launch vehicles".

In that case, I got to get me some of that - I can already think of good use for that..... :)

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Question though: does it have to be a command pod, or just a Hitchhiker will be enough?

It would be preferable if it could be kerbal-piloted, but the rules are pretty vague on that one - I'll leave that to your decision :wink:

43 minutes ago, funk said:

When I cut the video, I'm always uncertain, which parts need to be with UI so that viewers can see the stats.

That's not an issue at all - I like you videos as they are, I was just personally curious about how the lander works :)

As for your Duna landing, I really forgot about it completely. And the missing badge in your signature confused me a bit, too. So, with a sincere apology from my space administration directors, I happily award you the appropriate badges for your Duna adventures:

x6647zx.jpg?14fOA2ag.png?1

Congratulations, and good luck with conquering the Jool system :)

Michal.don

An update to my earlier Tease:

BKYk0Uq.jpg

I made a Few Changes... Fewer wings because of aerodynamics And MOAR NUKES!!

Any similarities between mine and any other star-clipper designs are clearly accidental.

Edited by Starslinger999

Funkyndustries mission control sent a few kerbonauts to Laythe, they forgot to send an engineer, so the crew could stay a little bit longer and take a few days off...

I will upload the craftfile tomorrow to kerbalx. Uploaded! See my signature... have fun!

Edited by funk

@michal.don Update on my shuttle. Did a test flight and it was a complete Success! I just need to be careful not to flip out and do some fuel transferring to the front and it glides like a beut. Landed at KSC too even. Now for the manned mission... STS-1a is going to be Great! I'm only bringing Jeb for a pilot and Bill as our engineer kinda like the real STS-1

Expect an Imgur album of my STS-1a submission, and a Craft file on KerbalX Soon™ The payload will totally not be a super secret spy satellite equipped with 20mm vulcan cannons, lasers, and Space Missiles. Wait did I just type that on the internet? AND WHO PUT A LINK TO MY BLUEPRINT FOR THE SP- um, weather Satellite. I WILL FIND THIS MA- I mean Kerbal.

Spoiler

MEMETIC KILL AGENT ACTIVATED

a28.jpg

(Plz dont hate me for making a SCP Foundation joke...) If you don't get the reference, Here's a link to the Wiki Article on the SCP Foundation Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCP_Foundation

Edited by Starslinger999

On 3. 3. 2018 at 3:41 AM, funk said:

Funkyndustries mission control sent a few kerbonauts to Laythe

Sunset jetskiing on Laythe - that's a first  :D 

A mission to Laythe, without the support launch - impressive. Great payload design, the outpost looks great, and so does the orbiter - one of the few spacecraft that use the MK2/MK3 adapter and is not really ugly.... And I like the double front wheel for docking purposes :)

Good job, and here is your badge:

RoJZC7l.jpg?1

By the way - which mod provides the green lights on Laythe sky? I haven't seen that before.....

10 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Here is my Offical Submission for my STS-1A mission (See above for more info)

Look, it really works! :D Good job on an unusual shuttle concept, I was really curious whether you'd be able to make it work, and you certainly did! Congrats on completing the STS-1, and good luck in future missions!

nTYtbyq.jpg?1

By the way, I awarded you the "modded" badge, because I think some of the parts you used come from part mods - if I'm not correct, and all the parts are stock and I just did not recognize them, please let me know.

Michal.don

On 3-3-2018 at 3:41 AM, funk said:

Funkyndustries mission control sent a few kerbonauts to Laythe, they forgot to send an engineer, so the crew could stay a little bit longer and take a few days off...

I will upload the craftfile tomorrow to kerbalx. Uploaded! See my signature... have fun!

Love the Jet-ski! Superb addition to the mission @funk!

56 minutes ago, michal.don said:

By the way - which mod provides the green lights on Laythe sky? I haven't seen that before.....

Thx for the badge. The bioluminescence is from the Spectra mod, originally taken from Astronomer's Visual Pack.

Edited by funk

5 minutes ago, funk said:

The bioluminescence is from the Spectra mod, originally taken from Astronomer's Visual Pack

Thanks :) It looks really nice, but I should really start to think more carefuly before installing new mods, the game suffers enough as it is now :D

7 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Thanks :) It looks really nice, but I should really start to think more carefuly before installing new mods, the game suffers enough as it is now :D

I've a medium pc (i5 [email protected], AMD RX 480 8GBVRAM, 16GB RAM). What helped me the most was memgraph. If you've enough RAM it can provide a relatively smooth gameplay and the stutter will only occure every 10 min.

Edited by funk

5 minutes ago, funk said:

What helped me the most was memgraph.

I'll sure take a look at that - seems it could help me with my problems. But I'm not really sure, your computer specs are slightly better than mine, and, as I said, I have a serious modding problem :D

Thanks,

MIchal.don

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

Sunset jetskiing on Laythe - that's a first  :D 

A mission to Laythe, without the support launch - impressive. Great payload design, the outpost looks great, and so does the orbiter - one of the few spacecraft that use the MK2/MK3 adapter and is not really ugly.... And I like the double front wheel for docking purposes :)

Good job, and here is your badge:

RoJZC7l.jpg?1

Look, it really works! :D Good job on an unusual shuttle concept, I was really curious whether you'd be able to make it work, and you certainly did! Congrats on completing the STS-1, and good luck in future missions!

nTYtbyq.jpg?1

By the way, I awarded you the "modded" badge, because I think some of the parts you used come from part mods - if I'm not correct, and all the parts are stock and I just did not recognize them, please let me know.

Michal.don

Specifically, The Ven's Stock Revamp, And some other minor Mods.

But Thanks! 

27 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

And some other minor Mods.

That's where I'll need the clarification though - which part mods :) Or, more specifically, are there any modded parts (I consider Ven's stock revamp "stock") on the orbiter and LV? I need to know this to place you in a correct category for your missions.

Thanks,

Michal.don

Also, I realized I did not properly welcome you here, so, welcome to the challenge and I hope you'll enjoy building and flying your shuttle(s) here :)

15 hours ago, hoioh said:

One of the two missions left for me, space potato hunting!

Your large shuttle almost makes the whole deal look easy - it seems to fly quite well even with a few tons of spacerock attached :) A great achievement nevertheless, congratulations!

vKx7Wn2.jpg?1

And I really have to design the new missions, fast - a lot of you guys are awfully close to completing them all :D

Michal.don

Before I design the new mission, I added a link to a shuttle discussion in the science and spaceflight section of the forum to the OP-reading/watching materials. If you have several hours of time, be sure to check that out :D

On 3/5/2018 at 8:38 AM, michal.don said:

That's where I'll need the clarification though - which part mods :) Or, more specifically, are there any modded parts (I consider Ven's stock revamp "stock") on the orbiter and LV? I need to know this to place you in a correct category for your missions.

Thanks,

Michal.don

Also, I realized I did not properly welcome you here, so, welcome to the challenge and I hope you'll enjoy building and flying your shuttle(s) here :)

Full Gamedata (Not all part mods were used, and the planet packs didn't matter)

https://i.imgur.com/q7zSikd.png

Edited by Starslinger999

11 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Full Gamedata (Not all part mods were used, and the planet packs didn't matter)

That's a lot of mods :) Ok then, looks like I was correct when I awarded you the modded badge.

Good luck in the next missions,

Michal.don

On 6-3-2018 at 8:52 AM, michal.don said:

Your large shuttle almost makes the whole deal look easy - it seems to fly quite well even with a few tons of spacerock attached :) A great achievement nevertheless, congratulations!

vKx7Wn2.jpg?1

And I really have to design the new missions, fast - a lot of you guys are awfully close to completing them all :D

Michal.don

Thanks for the new badge, working on the Laythe transfer right now, but I'm coming in horribly fast which caused some lost parts and a significant loss of DV, so I'll have to try that again. And after that I'll be building a serious base on Duna, cuz why not? Which brings me to your next post:

19 hours ago, michal.don said:

Before I design the new mission, I added a link to a shuttle discussion in the science and spaceflight section of the forum to the OP-reading/watching materials. If you have several hours of time, be sure to check that out :D

Building an outpost on the Mun was fun, so let's build one on Duna and expand each area of the current available missions.

I would also recommend to add some more missions with multiple transfers to ease the learning curve on that a little bit, because as it so stands you need to use a couple external tools in order to be able to make the transfer Duna-Eve-Kerbin transfer happen in any kind of reasonable form which makes it really hard to figure out. Links to some of these tools would be beneficial, but there's more orbital maneuvering that can be done, such as a figure 8 transfer around the mun or a minmus-mun-kerbin transfer maybe? Just thinking out loud here. I'll see if I can invest some time in that discussion to pick some things out of it that would seem useful.

22 hours ago, hoioh said:

And after that I'll be building a serious base on Duna, cuz why not?

You might want to wait a bit with the Duna base.... :) Because, reasons..... :wink:

22 hours ago, hoioh said:

there's more orbital maneuvering that can be done, such as a figure 8 transfer around the mun or a minmus-mun-kerbin transfer maybe?

I'm definitely considering more advanced transfers, but I don't want this challenge to steer too far from it's primary focus - shuttle and payload design. But it's very possible something along those lines will appear, hopefully soon :wink:

9 hours ago, biomecaman said:

AHHA!! STS-4

Welcome back!

If I'm correct, you completed the STS 1-3 in the previous version of the challenge, is that right?

Nice shuttle design, even though the use of Mk2 fuselages as wings quite surprises me - isn't the thing excessively draggy? And I'm curious, how does the LRB separation work on the mini shuttle? There is not a screenshot of the separation, and it seems to me the boosters are pretty sure to hit the wings of the orbiter..... If you do have the screen, could you share it too, please?

Other than that, nicely executed mission, and here is your badge. Congratulations!

cN3Ju6n.jpg?1

(I assume both the shuttles are stock, If I'm wrong, please let me know)

Michal.don

So, STS Laythe is complete, even though I needed to refuel on orbit again and didn't bring any extra fuel... I should produce and place some infrastructure for that!

https://imgur.com/a/WVVbm

And that concludes the available missions (for me)!

These are fun missions! Can't wait to do more!