Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

4 hours ago, hoioh said:

New successes? New failures? I wanna see me some STS drama!

Well, it seems you're going to get exactly that, because after a long time (sorry), there is a

NEW MISSION!!

There are a few newcomers here, but I've been neglecting the local shuttle veterans for quite a while. That changes now, there is a new mission of three shuttle flights to the Mun, where you'll construct a LOP-G station.

2jWfRLb.png?1

Because, why bother inventing a new launch system, which is bulit from spare shuttle parts anyway.... :wink:

I hope you guys have fun back at the Mun,

enjoy it, because we're coming back to Duna really soon (that's a promise :wink: )

Michal.don

P.S. for all of you shuttleholics who have purchased the Making history DLC, i tried to script a simple ISS shuttle mission with the mission builder. If you want to try it, too, I'd be grateful for any feedback and bug reports. The mission can be downloaded here:

Thanks!

Edited by michal.don

Well, that was fun!

I have to put my screenshots up like this because imgur isn't cooperating, so it lacks any kind of story:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egpwfi7cfo96ebn/STS Mun 5-7.zip?dl=0

p2qq1uv.jpg

Once you've got a shuttle you can easily build a large Duna base with, this is a bit on the easy side, I guess that's different when you do the missions in order. So I figured instead I'll maximize and put up the maximum number of each part that I can put into a single shuttle. The result is a base that can house over 150 kerbals, has 4 laboratories, a refueling lander and a massize 3.75m refueling tank to fill up anything that passes by. It's at a near 90 degree orbit and it can change the 2000km orbit to a 100km orbit at will several more times with the remaining 2000m/s DV left over (something on the order of 10+ times). I did have to tweakscale the ION engines in order to keep things managable on the propulsion side, the trusses used for the solar panel mountings are part of Infernal Robotics and the landing legs on the refueling vehicle aren't stock either, not to mention my heavily modded shuttle which barely contains any stock parts at all. Oh and the capsules capping off the ends of the highrise aren't stock either come to think of it.

Still it's mostly size where I'm at the limits of my shuttle, because I have plenty of room to spare in regards to weight of a single launch

Well, guess who finally completed a mission.

The last drop totally was finding out that after I finally found a way to get it to Kerbin orbit safely, the ship refused to fly in the atmosphere. Because it somehow turned out too tail-heavy (and there I thought it had been fixed and verified...).
Combined with a massive IRL burnout... well, not the most pleasant result
Anyway, 2 months later I tried again and finally found a way to get to Kerbin orbit with enough fuel to make it flyable... somewhat

STS1B has been completed, mission report here (Less pic heavy than the last one - I figured out how to make things more sensible) I've got a lot more images for the blooper reel of fails - I'll put them all up after STS2 is complete

I had a load of fun doing this one - the actual launch took about 90 minutes, while watching TV in the background as my laptop quietly smouldered away...

I''ve already flown STS2A (and written the mission report), I'm just completing 2B and then going to submit a combined report for both.

I'm still mastering the art of re-entering in the right place, and because of the framerate and time taken to complete the de-orbit I'm disinclined to keep testing and adjusting, so I just use the Jet engines to do a 'powered glide' home.

@michal.don - regarding the rules on self scripted autopilots: I'm assuming that was written with KOS in mind. What would your opinion be if I were to script my own autopilot mod, specific to my Shuttle, capable of doing some or all of the on orbit, ascent and decent sections? I'm a software engineer by trade, and always wanted to write a spacecraft autopilot. I was planning on doing something that would use the barometer to measure the atmosphere at different altitudes, then conduct a load of calibration flights so that it could predict and automate aerobraking. I'd still conduct the landings myself, but would effectively script my way to the right point to begin final approach. I figure I could do that in KOS, but I'd rather just write an external mod in a sane programming language. One thing that I would do throughout (because I like the challenge) is not just dial in info from the wiki, but have it measure and calculate any data it needs.

(The autopilot will obviously take a while, but I won't start it unless you're happy, at least in principle)

4 hours ago, GKXS said:

STS1B has been completed, mission report here (Less pic heavy than the last one - I figured out how to make things more sensible) I've got a lot more images for the blooper reel of fails - I'll put them all up after STS2 is complete

I had a load of fun doing this one - the actual launch took about 90 minutes, while watching TV in the background as my laptop quietly smouldered away...

I''ve already flown STS2A (and written the mission report), I'm just completing 2B and then going to submit a combined report for both.

I'm still mastering the art of re-entering in the right place, and because of the framerate and time taken to complete the de-orbit I'm disinclined to keep testing and adjusting, so I just use the Jet engines to do a 'powered glide' home.

You are mad! Genious, possibly evil, but definitely mad! :wink:

The last time I messed with the STS challenge was back in July, so it's been a while, once again with life causing a pause in KSP.

So I've been working on this project of STS 5-8 since January off and on while I was in an Apollo Applications fix.

https://imgur.com//a/484XR

STS 5 is the Habitation Module

STS 6 is the Service Module and part of the Kerbin Observation Module

STS 7 is the Space Studies Module

STS 8 is an expansion of the KOM and a capsule to be attached to the SM as a lifeboat for emergencies

Finally I have what you may call maybe a STS 4b? I call it the STS 4SS as it's reusing the orbiter left in orbit as a Space Station part pretty much but it's just an extra bit for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by Fraus

Sorry for a slight delay guys, let's get to business!

On 3. 4. 2018 at 5:45 PM, hoioh said:

The result is a base that can house over 150 kerbals, has 4 laboratories, a refueling lander and a massize 3.75m refueling tank to fill up anything that passes by.

"It's not good for pretty much anything, but we're doing it because we can" :)

No, just kidding, that's an impressive station you have here! The transfers to the polar munar orbit were not particulary efficient, but as you said, why bother with efficiency when you have lots of delta-V to spare. Congratulations on being the first one to complete this mission, here's your badge:

wZo0VDe.png?1

On 4. 4. 2018 at 7:21 PM, Alchemist said:

Well, guess who finally completed a mission.

It's great to have you back! Real life can be a pain in the rear end sometimes, and it sure bites into the gaming time a lot, but that's just the way it works :wink:

The lander design is brilliant, and I love the way you solved the problems along the way - that's great engineering! One idea though - wouldn't refueling from Ike instead from Duna be quicker? I don't know the numbers by heart, but I think it might just work. Did you try that approach, or did you go straight to Duna?

Anyway, a well deserved badge, and I hope you'll impress me with a LOP-G soon :wink:

4fOA2ag.png?1

On 7. 4. 2018 at 4:47 PM, GKXS said:

STS1B has been completed

And what a mission it is! Just getting 40 t to orbit is quite a feat, but 400... just... wow :)

The thing about your shuttle I simultaneously love and don't get is the complete disregard for drag, but I guess that you just don't care when you have enough engines :D

Regarding the autopilot question - if you manage to get your own autopilot to work, serious respect to you, and I have no problem with that!

Here is your badge, congratulations!

giYU8fw.jpg?1

On 7. 4. 2018 at 9:09 PM, Fraus said:

The last time I messed with the STS challenge was back in July, so it's been a while, once again with life causing a pause in KSP.

Welcome back!

Great mission, I have to admit I always had a soft spot in my heart for shuttles looking like the real thing :)

Good job on your mission, looks like you got to know your spacecraft and everything looks pretty routine - I'm curious if your design will be capable of going interplanetary and potato hunting though :)

Congratulations, here's your badge:

t3gSvqs.jpg?1

Michal.don

53 minutes ago, michal.don said:

The transfers to the polar munar orbit were not particulary efficient,

There's actualy more to it than that, I chose to make the first transfer so that I would immediately get the correct orbital inclination, but every shuttle launched after that one would need to be launched with the mun at the same relative position in order to be able to get into the same orbit this way. So instead I opted to go for an equatorial orbit which would guarantee the same inclination change every time without the risk of having to do a 180 degree inclination change in the event I would end up in a reverse polar orbit. + I didn't want to launch just 1 shuttle per month, or all of them one after the other (possible, but stressful and tedious)

21 hours ago, hoioh said:

So instead I opted to go for an equatorial orbit which would guarantee the same inclination change every time without the risk of having to do a 180 degree inclination change in the event I would end up in a reverse polar orbit.

From my experience, going straight into polar orbit is definitely more efficient. You can choose if you come "under" or "over" Mun really cheap. There is probably a lot of fancy math involved, but it worked for me in various rescaled systems really well.

19 hours ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

Too much reading! Im gonna do this challenge with an MK2 stock plane anyway.

Yeah, the rules are a bt on the long side. Anyway, welcome to the challenge, I'm looking forward to see your entry! We haven't had a MK2 shuttle for quite a while, they are tricky to say the least!

Michal.don

STS 2 is complete, mission report here. I never want to aerobrake another shuttle again - I think this mission took at least 50 aerobraking passes /re-entries in total. I still havn't added more fail photos - I'll do it soon (probably)

I can safely say that putting 600T into orbit was a stupid idea, trying to bring it all back again was a stupider one, and trying to do it in 2 launches and 15 landings was the stupidest.

11 hours ago, michal.don said:

We haven't had a MK2 shuttle for quite a while, they are tricky to say the least!

Interesting you should say that - I have a Mk2 Crew Shuttle in the VAB. Am I allowed to send one of my UberShuttles up for the Hubble Mission (STS3), and then a Mk2 Crew Shuttle to recover the crew for STS4? I'll then land the UberShuttle under remote control. (Because I believe NASA would have tried to re-enter a crewless shuttle, even if they didn't put it on the runway.)

Also, do the MMUs for the HST mission have to return or not?

On 09.04.2018 at 1:27 PM, michal.don said:

It's great to have you back! Real life can be a pain in the rear end sometimes, and it sure bites into the gaming time a lot, but that's just the way it works :wink:

The lander design is brilliant, and I love the way you solved the problems along the way - that's great engineering!

Thanks! Somehow I really wanted to experiment with assemblable lander design - and this mission offered quite the chance...

One idea though - wouldn't refueling from Ike instead from Duna be quicker? I don't know the numbers by heart, but I think it might just work. Did you try that approach, or did you go straight to Duna?

Yeah, that could have been the quicker option with this lander. Of corse, that would mean dragging the entire shuttle up there... I guess if I was really planning on refueling (not suddenly found out there is not enough Delta v) I could have considered that. Or, if the previous Duna mission went as originally planned (that is with deployable mining rover - which I got properly working only after sending the shuttle), I could have just landed there again.

Well, if I knew the return maneuver would take that much Delta v, I'd make sure the ship has it. Of course, updating it for the new version means a chance to make some improvements, like the takeoff TWR I'm really not very satisfied with... and what's that? A space-grade engine with 412s ISP?! Looks like we found the new OMS

Anyway, a well deserved badge, and I hope you'll impress me with a LOP-G soon :wink:

Somehow I feel the urge to send at least one of the modules with... guess who got proper-sized boosters and couple more improvements :wink::

b21c5c734c95.png

0dbd22f83dd1.png

Wait,  I haven't built the Mun base yet... Well, I do have some ideas,  just need to upgrade the HRO shuttles a bit...

P.S.

a3810a9f1531.png

Edited by Alchemist

On 10. 4. 2018 at 10:05 PM, GKXS said:

I can safely say that putting 600T into orbit was a stupid idea, trying to bring it all back again was a stupider one, and trying to do it in 2 launches and 15 landings was the stupidest.

Sweet mother of god.... :D That shuttle christmas tree is one of the craziest things I've seen here, and I've seen plenty.... :D

I'm starting to be scared what you will bring in the later missions, when just getting satellites and fuel pods grew into this :)

One small detail, could you please provide a screenshot of the sattelite? I'd like to see the design and method of spin-stabilisation. Thanks!

Here are your badges, wear them proudly!

Jm6F4Br.jpg?1v4a3YWl.jpg?1

Interesting you should say that - I have a Mk2 Crew Shuttle in the VAB. Am I allowed to send one of my UberShuttles up for the Hubble Mission (STS3), and then a Mk2 Crew Shuttle to recover the crew for STS4? I'll then land the UberShuttle under remote control.

Yes, that's fine!

Also, do the MMUs for the HST mission have to return or not?

Well, it's not stated in the rules, but the point of the MMUs is to be reused, so you should return them with the shuttle.

On 11. 4. 2018 at 1:20 PM, Alchemist said:

Somehow I feel the urge to send at least one of the modules with... guess who got proper-sized boosters and couple more improvements :wink::

Please, do :) It's been a while since anyone rocked a Buran around here!

On 11. 4. 2018 at 1:20 PM, Alchemist said:

Wait,  I haven't built the Mun base yet... Well, I do have some ideas,  just need to upgrade the HRO shuttles a bit...

P.S.

Looking forward for that!

Michal.don

On 13.04.2018 at 11:12 AM, michal.don said:

Please, do :) It's been a while since anyone rocked a Buran around here!

It's been a while since there was something my Buran can deal with. Even with Energia being a bit overpowered (and now it's even more overpowered...)
I'm thinking, the station should have 3 modules and I have 3 shuttles... might as well dock everything together

Looking forward for that!

What about a little teaser?

Made both orbiters capable of flying practically dry - there were some severe tail-heaviness issues, especially with a bit heavier new OMS.

<EDIT: pictures moved to the next post>

Edited by Alchemist

So, here is the full report...

Warning - ton of pictures!

Let's start with launching the base on the slightly improved HRO-M03

2c4043e61128.png

Spoiler

Yup, here are some bigger (and slightly more powerful) engines on the boosters now

02729386535b.png

Booster separation

8b9f9d241c35.png

And they collide... nice fireworks

1c144d9628f6.png

And with just the improved booster thrust it now pretty much reaches orbit on the external tank, not eats almost half the internal reserves in the process

bcaf618a4fd7.png

Ahh, look at these new OMS engines - 50% more power than the old ones and higher ISP than any other chemical rocket. Just what an interplanetary shuttle of such size needs

9b0343fda6fc.png

Aim straight for the Mun... and then don't forget a correction for polar orbit

26cdad926a3b.png

So... latitude above 60 degrees? Looks like it's not about navigation... Any normal terrain around there?!

4ee5f1a70270.png

Looks like there might be some flat land ahead...

7564d67c44b4.png

Spoiler

7c9851bb2057.png

Yup, looks good.

Just don't fall in that pit on the next flight

797ecc4f432d.png

Basically, hover above the surface, then do 90 degree pitch turn...

70e41d84db37.png

And time to reveal the payload!

58c1ba147ad1.png

Carefully roll it out under the force of gravity...

5a2d9f6680a7.png

Here we are!

a3810a9f1531.png

And steer it away from the nozzles. Yes, it has a bit of capacity to move itself

0f279a8dbd17.png

And let's go back to pick the rover...

Spoiler

Just back the way we came from

cde20748d13a.png

Horizontal takeoff from airless body... come on, it's getting a bit old after Tylo

ded4231ad391.png

Just go all the way straight away

b12e4f810c33.png

Yup, return trajectory in 1 burn!

cdc8d3380b49.png

Just plunge into the atmosphere

ef7d1985e0c0.png

And steer straight towards the KSC

d9f80a9fd494.png

98496668a788.png

dfa958471044.png

1988ef0ac5a1.png

6f3d567a01a5.png

OK, same shuttle, second launch

Spoiler

f47dcae3e034.png

16313b7f3f7b.png

235d8dcb3d3b.png

1e978dc739bb.png

I did actually have one huge issue with the second flight. I could have sent the rover with the base.
And it definitely is not large enough for this cargo bay.
Well, if we are approaching from polar orbit, might as well...

5d5f452fc0fb.png

OK, let's land...

Spoiler

a946a6f884fb.png

And it's on the night side...

a57decc04962.png

if you need more boost, there are still the main engines

c09a1290ea28.png

OK, looks like we didn't ran into something in the darkness

28ba458d1c39.png

Just need to drive a bit closer

d2593f07789d.png

OK, time to unload

24c0bb39807a.png

64874bbfbb53.png

b479b0661f17.png

And here we go

c37deb965e52.png

a8be0fdddaad.png

Oh, and don't forget the commsats

ba2752e8493c.png

Meanwhile, here goes the second shuttle - HRO-M

f7e9db3f617f.png

Spoiler

2a93ed60fba9.png

Booster sepa... scrap!

0356db4d6c7f.png

At least the orbiter is OK. Will need to look into the issue

d74770d62530.png

b50586723ac6.png

b62584ea87c7.png

And once again circularizing over the south pole

e743f2723634.png

And couple orbits later after passing the north pole...

615f374b69ba.png

At least this time it's on the terminator

0a9ed2481225.png

Additional boost from a pair of main engines

88461117f34d.png

6f0f0aa0d3b5.png

Just try not to land right on top of something

ad02212fd2ab.png

4e38b589ed47.png

68040a93c536.png

ae4ddbcefbdd.png

Let's unpack the payload

d08bca2e89b2.png

And don't forget to deploy the legs

79868a62cb22.png

Legs!?

9c08f7c9c0c4.png

Everything deployed!

d567b6425bbd.png

Now it's time to drive around

Spoiler

fa17ffbf37e4.png

Around that hole?

b4252694372f.png

0f5c2c567f3b.png

That goes deep...

65196ad69c9e.png

d8b161dde7c2.png

7b689ac44c48.png

Do we dare? Oh look - a floating boulder!

207866eb12ee.png

And another one near the bottom (and nowhere really to drive any lower)

cbc0d87e3c71.png

And now the question is do we get up

eb0d92fbfd73.png

And the power ran out. Fortunately, on the safe place.

dae2d52f3575.png

Ok, let's go to the other side

bce3d127856e.png

and back to the base

1068b2e00147.png

Speaking of the base, has anybody noticed that the rover can attach to it in 2 ways?

2b2973c71fc5.png

Yup, the base is actually a trailer

bfb9ae81f049.png

P.S. Ask Jeb what happened to that old trailer in his junkyard

c36778a6ba9d.png

Spoiler

There was a shallow crater nearby

f63f0159a838.png

Let's check it out

a0f9a0a63ac4.png

Yes, by dragging the entire Trailer Munbase

ffafa1f9fffc.png

f062afa7369e.png

And then drive back

8a68df6fbbcf.png

0b49a062be5b.png

And let's redock

c4f338cf67f7.png

104fe1bd8d4d.png

aac7514ae5b5.png

And after that it's time to send the ships home

Spoiler

ed737bca2597.png

Same direct route as the first time

37ddd6dca1a6.png

bae08b979e22.png

May be a bit too close to KSC

a1bf48ab7f8e.png

3f9008c83b2b.png

c0cc7612ee47.png

OK, speed dropping to manageable levels...

49156830dc19.png

ee68e912596f.png

A bit too fast - let's go around

ca201a75ed6c.png

4685716b9dd1.png

9d0d1af8d0ab.png

And touchdown!

77457cb83be3.png

f4ff7bd88c36.png

Now the second ship

07d4864f9ccd.png

28b0dd92eab8.png

79439e0d8020.png

Don't burn through the tanks!

582e2f1669b0.png

Overbraked a bit. Well, a small OMS burn will fix it.

87da15cd560c.png

OK, maybe that was too much boost

a6ae30e2d360.png

c440898b4506.png

427385f39ce9.png

And touchdown!

cd62235a3c0e.png

Both shuttles back to KSC as ordered!

d57aa3ae3b63.png

Now to the base crew

9affaee2adf2.png

045f08a5f542.png

9e4d21a3e359.png

Spoiler

678d8e4289c1.png

3732ae1825c5.png

81d419c0b7f8.png

eb7fceeb7f01.png

34d5daeb19ed.png

2fcea66f9ace.png

Splashdown!
ddc989acbacc.png

Edited by Alchemist

STS 3 and 4 have been completed. STS 3, the design and assembly of the Kerbal Space Binoculars has it's mission report here. STS 4, which was in true historical tradition the Servicing Mission for the Kerbal Space Binoculars (I ran out of monoprop for the MMUs) has it's report here. A couple of difficulties were experienced during STS4, namely a meteor strike, so STS 4B was launched. I got slightly sidetracked and built an entry to the 'Flying Wing' challenge, but decided that my entry should be a shuttle. That entry is here for anyone interested.

Plans for the Space Station are underway - this may take me a while. Partly because I'm pushing the limits of common sense, mostly because I'm allegedly studying for a degree at the moment, and have exams coming up. (Although 'studying' is currently the bit I'm not doing...)

Incidentally, while I'm pushing the limits of common sense, would anyone be interested in a Real Solar System version of this challenge? Either as a separate entity, or rolled into the same thread? I've been wanting to play with RSS for a while (and all the associated RO mods) and I thought this could be fun... If I get to orbit I can either make a new thread or the challenges can be added here, depending on people's opinions

On 15. 4. 2018 at 12:02 AM, Alchemist said:

So, here is the full report...

Good job! Trailer camping on the Mun, that's a first here :)

Out of curiosity - what purpose do the additional landing gear on the rover and base have? Stability, or perhaps docking?

The rest of the mission seems to have gone smoothly - I guess you are properly used to your shuttle and can handle the thing just fine :wink:

Here's your badge, and it's LOP-G time!

nc5yhi3.jpg?1

9 hours ago, GKXS said:

STS 3 and 4 have been completed.

Space binoculars, because why not :D

Your missions keep entertaining me a lot, while being quite impressive from the engineering point of view as well!

Nice example of orbital assembly, and I'm glad to see a nosecone for the first time, too :D

I have one issue with your STS-3 though. Since your entry is more complex than it needs to be, I'll award you the badge, but for the next missions - if the rules do not state that a support launch is allowed, you have to complete the mission with just the one shuttle launch - that means no refueling launches, too.

Other than that, a really nice pair of missions, and I'm looking forward to seeing your station!

9E708Vn.jpg?12LypmZP.jpg?1

9 hours ago, GKXS said:

I've been wanting to play with RSS for a while (and all the associated RO mods) and I thought this could be fun...

Well, RO shuttles are..... Demanding. I managed to build two or three of them that could reach LEO with a reasonable payload, but they handled terribly, were pretty inefficient, and quite expensive. (So, one could say it was like the real thing, heh....). But what is the most complicated part is getting the entry protocol just right not to burn in the atmosphere, hit the runway and not get in a spin on the way down. And it's pretty timeconsuming, too - my shuttle took about 25 minutes to glide through the atmosphere to the runway.

So, if you manage to build a shuttle in RO, kudos to you, but I think I won't create a RO shuttle challenge - not many people around here hate themselves that much to do RO shuttling :)

Michal.don

And guys also.....

NEW SERIES OF MISSIONS!

will be released sometimes later this week.

These missions won't be as complex as the "regular" ones, think of them as something small to do just for a bit of shuttling fun.

I am letting you know a little bit in advance, because I strongly recommend building a new shuttle for these missions - preferrably a close analogue to the real STS, or maybe a Buran. Some of these will be kind of an reenactment of real shuttle missions or procedures, so it might be difficult with your "regular" shuttles. And, some of these will be focused on smart payload design, so you'd make it much easier on yourselves if you had several MK4/any other huge and modded cargo bays of payload capacity. Of course, if you really want to, you can fly these missions in any shuttle you like. The "replica" thing is not mandatory, but a strong suggestion.

You will be able to fly the first mission even if you did not even complete STS-1A - these mission will be independent from all the other mission tiers.

So, stay tuned, and you might be the first one to ever claim this badge and become a certified shuttle "test pilot"

LOkYAUP.png?1

Michal.don

2 hours ago, michal.don said:

Good job! Trailer camping on the Mun, that's a first here :)

Somehow, a trailer was my first thought when I saw the mission requirements. If the base is to be deployed from the cargo ramp it has to be wheeled anyway, so why not to add the option to drag it somewhere? Especially with the ability to detach the rover to explore more tricky areas.

Out of curiosity - what purpose do the additional landing gear on the rover and base have? Stability, or perhaps docking?

The wide spaced ones are for stability. Especially for the base - putting the wheels properly on the floor of the cargo bay (especially if the base has 2 m diameter parts) requires having them very close together, so better to have something extra or you risk wrong kind of rolling.
As for the rover (which also has wider wheel placing because it was packed higher in the bay) - it's still too easy to send it spinning if you pull a sharp turn even with the extra gear

One pair of larger gear on the base is specifically for trailer attachment procedure (was going to use legs there, but they refused to cooperate halfway through prototype testing). Everything else ranges from ensuring you don't hit ground to changing load on the base's powered wheels dependent on the mode of operation.

Incidentally, docking with frontal ports was more of random discovery (it works if you leave the trailer standing on he rover wheels) during testing than original plan (which was all about the trailer side)

The rest of the mission seems to have gone smoothly - I guess you are properly used to your shuttle and can handle the thing just fine :wink:

It's more like the HRO airframe leaves way too much capacity to wing it :cool: even if you don't aim too well (although the ability to get from the base straight to KSC with no parking orbits at all is a cool feature).
As a downside, unless you are carrying 40-50 tons of payload+fuel, pulling the typical shuttle landing maneuver is likely to result in cobra maneuver - that is vertical ascent and then falling out of it (yeah, not the best thing to do 30 meters above the runway)

Another note: For the return vehicle I was originally thinking about the more conventional kind of lander, packed along the length of payload bay. Of course, it's not that simple to get it out, so the plan was to decouple it above the landing site, steer the shuttle away and let the return vehicle to land on autopilot while I land the shuttle. Well, didn't find myself comfortable with this maneuver on this small patch of landable terrain. Plus it turned out that 5-crew capsule just fits across the bay.

Here's your badge, and it's LOP-G time!

By the way I've been thinking - with the latest upgrades these shuttles perfectly get to Mun surface and back. Which is literally over 1 km/s more than what's needed for Mun orbit mission.

Might try improving reusability...

14 hours ago, michal.don said:

And guys also.....

NEW SERIES OF MISSIONS!

Well, it was about time for me to try a realistic shuttle...   *** Top secret, do not look! *** 

Spoiler

1rHdVCn.png

This was quite refreshing to build, since I'm a bit stuck in my lastest shuttle project:  https://imgur.com/a/hS3rl .  The engines are going to take a while to be finished, I have already a couple of candidate designs to build ( I.E. sketches on paper ) but any advice on rotatory parts would be very welcome.

On 16. 4. 2018 at 2:02 PM, Alchemist said:

By the way I've been thinking - with the latest upgrades these shuttles perfectly get to Mun surface and back. Which is literally over 1 km/s more than what's needed for Mun orbit mission.

Yes, you are right, in terms of difficulty, the second munar mission is probably harder than the third one. But I could not resist including a mission that just might happen in the real world - although, probably not using shuttles :)

11 hours ago, Ozelui said:

Well, it was about time for me to try a realistic shuttle...

It might be just me, but I really enjoy building and flying STS lookalikes - there's something about the designs that I completely love and enjoy seeing hauling into space or gliding through the atmosphere..... :rolleyes:

Michal.don

Hi all!   Here's my entry into the world of shuttles.  She's called Bahamut (as a foil to my SSTO called Tiamat).   Using v1.4.1, but no MH parts, some of those parts don't feel very game balanced, especially the Wolfhound.  My long term goal is to do the Laythe mission as a single launch, single shuttle, Jool-5 run.  But to get started and make sure I'm in the parameters of the challenge, here's STS 1a/b.   

Launch video:  

And the rest of the mission in pictures.  If anyone is interested in more vid let me know.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SzIEO

Mods used:

• Environmental Visual Enhancments
  • Stock Visual Enhancements
  • MechJeb 2 (no autopilot used)
Edited by iAMtheWALRUS

45 minutes ago, iAMtheWALRUS said:

Hi all!   Here's my entry into the world of shuttles.

Hello, @iAMtheWALRUS, welcome to the challenge!

It's a nice shuttle you have there, and a little unusual LV design, but it seems to work very well for you, and you reached orbit with plenty of fuel to spare. Good job!

Just to make sure the fuel pod is full, could you please provide a screenshot of the pod in orbit, with the resource tab open?

If  the fuel pod is indeed full, I hereby award you the first badges:

QThe6Sf.jpg?1giYU8fw.jpg?1

Congratulations, and I hope we'll see more of your shuttle around here!

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don