Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

On 6/9/2018 at 3:37 AM, doggonemess said:

I am also happy to report that I completed STS 1B, delivering the payload to orbit. I decided to get as tight as possible on this one.

18 hours ago, doggonemess said:

STS 2A complete!

Congratulations on completing both of the missions!

For the future missions however, I'd like to ask you to add a few more screenshots though - especially during launch (booster separations etc) and landing (to prove you hit the runway to qualify for the commander level badges). Also, would you please provide a screenshot of the fuel pod with the resource tab open,  so I could check if the pod is still full? Thanks!

Other than these details, the reports look good, and if the fuel pod is indeed full, here are your badges:

giYU8fw.jpg?1Jm6F4Br.jpg?1

Michal.don

2 hours ago, michal.don said:

Congratulations on completing both of the missions!

For the future missions however, I'd like to ask you to add a few more screenshots though - especially during launch (booster separations etc) and landing (to prove you hit the runway to qualify for the commander level badges). Also, would you please provide a screenshot of the fuel pod with the resource tab open,  so I could check if the pod is still full? Thanks!

Michal.don

Will do, on all points there. I forgot about the fuel pod status. I just remembered - I might actually have a non-quicksave from this mission right before reentry. I tend to botch the landing and always save beforehand. If so, I'll be able to post the log and the fuel status. Just to keep everything on the up-and-up. :)

Fuel tank:

YqvNPeV.png

EDIT: I haven't brought the pod back, so I can zip up there and screenshot the thing in orbit. So that's easy. I also have a question - is there a difference between the "pilot" and "commander" badges? They look the same to me, I may be missing it.

Edited by doggonemess

Took me a while to jump on the Shuttle band wagon, but I have just completed the STS-1A challenge, with a safe return to KSC.

All stock.

On the pad ready to go

Spoiler

sts01.jpg

Solid boosters jettisoned

Spoiler

sts02.jpg

Main tank jettisoned

Spoiler

sts03.jpg

144km x 136km orbit established

Spoiler

sts04.jpg

No cargo this time, but here's hoping for future flights

Spoiler

sts05.jpg

Fireworks display for the guys back at KSC

Spoiler

sts06.jpg

Should be able to get it back OK from here

Spoiler

sts07.jpg

OK Jeb, don't screw it up at this late stage.

Spoiler

sts08.jpg

And we're back

Spoiler
Spoiler

sts09.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

4 hours ago, doggonemess said:

Will do, on all points there. I forgot about the fuel pod status. I just remembered - I might actually have a non-quicksave from this mission right before reentry. I tend to botch the landing and always save beforehand. If so, I'll be able to post the log and the fuel status. Just to keep everything on the up-and-up. :)

Fuel tank:

YqvNPeV.png

EDIT: I haven't brought the pod back, so I can zip up there and screenshot the thing in orbit. So that's easy. I also have a question - is there a difference between the "pilot" and "commander" badges? They look the same to me, I may be missing it.

The difference is in the colors, commander badges feature more gold

17 hours ago, doggonemess said:

I haven't brought the pod back, so I can zip up there and screenshot the thing in orbit.

Is the pod still in its orbit? If so, I'd like to check all the resources - including ore and monopropellant, that's why I asked for the resource tab screenshot ;)

635Q8nL.png

If not, I'll try to check it from the STS-2b mission report, sorry for being so punctual..... :)

15 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Took me a while to jump on the Shuttle band wagon, but I have just completed the STS-1A challenge, with a safe return to KSC.

Glad you decided to join in, welcome to the challenge!

That huge ET with engines seems to do quite a lot of work on the way up, and should be more than enough for the first few missions. And since you figured out the reentry and landing, I guess the next mission will not take too long :) I hope you enjoyed the first one, and will enjoy what's coming next!

Here's your first badge, congratulations!

QThe6Sf.jpg?1

17 hours ago, doggonemess said:

I also have a question - is there a difference between the "pilot" and "commander" badges?

The commander feature gold start, while pilot badges have them in silver.

Michal.don

@michal.don Thanks for that.  I did indeed enjoy it once I worked out the engine angles and vertical placement of the ET.  I have now completed STS-1b, which took a while.  The inclusion of the fuel pod shifted the CoG to the point where as the fuel was burning down the craft was becoming unstable.  To counter the effect I had to remove an engine from the ET, angle one of the others slightly differently, and adjusting the level of thrust on one engine turned out to be the safest way to do a gravity turn without going in to a tumble.  So, quite challenging.

On the pad with the payload installed.  It's a tight fit.

Spoiler

sts1b01.jpg

On our way, being really gentle with the turns.

Spoiler

sts1b02.jpg

Release orbit established at 145km x 145km

Spoiler

sts1b03.jpg

Cargo released

Spoiler

sts1b04.jpg

Solar panels deployed

Spoiler

sts1b05.jpg

Resource panel showing we managed to deploy without losing a drop.  We did use a bit of monoprop fine tuning the orbit though.

Spoiler

sts1b06.jpg

Final orbit tweaked to 145,150m x 145,152m.  I think our clients will be happy with that.

Spoiler

sts1b07.jpg

Boys are feeling toasty after a job well done.  Well, that's part of the reason.

Spoiler

sts1b08.jpg

Almost there

Spoiler

sts1b09.jpg

The boys are back in town.

Spoiler

sts1b10.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

I have now completed STS-1b, which took a while.

And this is how it's done ;)

Good job on proving your shuttle payload capable! As you noticed, it's tricky to design a shuttle that flies well both full and empty. And, as you will find out soon enough, especially reenter and land both full and empty :D

No, seriously, nice job, here's your badge, and good luck in the future endeavours!

giYU8fw.jpg?1

Michal.don

Right.  STS-1b was completed yesterday evening, STS-2a has now been completed first thing this morning.  This is becoming addictive.

3 Comsat satellites deployed to geostationary orbits with a 1 day orbital period, and spaced equidistant.

Vehicle on the pad showing payload.  Yes they are only small, but they work.

Spoiler

sts2a01.jpg

Coasting up to initial Apo.

Spoiler

sts2a02.jpg

With such a big orbit required for geostationary deployment, might as well use all the fuel available from the external tank before jettisoning it.

Spoiler

sts2a03.jpg

2nd satellite being deployed.  Once clear of the shuttle, the satellite has enough dV to establish it's own orbit.

Spoiler

sts2a04.jpg

Final satellite deployed, solar panels and aerials extended, and ready to burn for orbit circularisation.

Spoiler

sts2a05.jpg

All orbits finalised and positioning looking good.

Spoiler

sts2a06.jpg

The dangerous bit - about to re-enter the atmosphere.

Spoiler

sts2a07.jpg

Coming in the right way up to extend the glide, as Jeb overdid the re-entry burn a bit.

Spoiler

sts2a08.jpg

Adjusting to line up for runway 09.

Spoiler

sts2a09.jpg

Nailed it.

Spoiler

sts2a10.jpg

Going to have to make a few additions before attempting the next challenge to fit RCS capability to allow for docking.  Should be fun.

Edited by Scarecrow

STS-2b accomplished.

I initially attempted this mission with the Shuttle that I used to launch the fuel pod, knowing that it was a tight fit in the cargo hold.  Unfortunately after including a docking port in the hold to re-capture the pod, it turned out that there wan't enough clearance and it wouldn't fit.  As a result I fitted an extra cargo hold module to lengthen the hold, but didn't do any flight trials before attempting the mission again.  That was a mistake as it turned out the centre of lift was way aft, which gave very little elevator authority once the pod was on board and we were back in the atmosphere.  Made it very difficult to slow down, and was only just about enough to prevent ploughing a new furrow down the runway with the nose wheel.

Anyway, mission pictures.

Night launch this time

Spoiler

sts2b01.jpg

Jeb reckons it doesn't look the same when it's not bathed in sunlight.

Spoiler

sts2b02.jpg

Orbital data says we will be close enough on the next orbit to complete our rendezvous

Spoiler

sts2b03.jpg

Solar panels retracted, as it definitely won't fit with those still sticking out

Spoiler

sts2b04.jpg

Everything is looking good at this point

Spoiler

sts2b05.jpg

And we're docked

Spoiler

sts2b06.jpg

Jeb was blaming brake failure, but I'm not so sure.

Spoiler

sts2b07.jpg

Despite actually touching down on the runway, as you can see I wasn't able to get it stopped before running off the end.  If this isn't close enough to count as landing back at KSC, I can do the mission again, but I would have to Hyperedit the fuel pod back in to orbit.  I have already tweaked the aerodynamics to make the craft more flyable, so it shouldn't prove too difficult if I have to do it again.

I will hold off doing any more missions until I get a ruling on this one.

Edited by Scarecrow

18 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Right.  STS-1b was completed yesterday evening, STS-2a has now been completed first thing this morning.  This is becoming addictive.

11 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

STS-2b accomplished.

Of course, six out of five doctors warn that shuttle flying is highly addictive..... :)

STS-2a looks very nice, sats properly placed, reentry and landing are on the point as well.

STS-2b is fine too, the two fuel pod bonus missions are not pilot/commander classified, you can land the darn thing wherever you please, so being just a bit long on the landing doesn't really matter.

So, two new badges for you, wear them proudly!

Jm6F4Br.jpg?1v4a3YWl.jpg?1

Also, since you seem to like the shuttle flying, you might want to try the "test pilot" missions too - they are in the end of the OP, but do not have any pre-requisities, so you can fly them in the meantime while I'm reviewing entries ;)

Oh, and one more thing - could you place the mission report screenshots in a "spoiler", so the page is not too picture-heavy?

Thanks,

Michal.don

21 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Badges added to signature, and pictures placed in spoilers as requested.

One spoiler with the whole report would have been enough, this must have been a lot of work :D 

Thanks!

Mission STS-3 now done.

Spoiler

Telescope in the bay with two power modules stowed beneath it.

sts301.jpg

It's always nice to get rid of that big lump.  No Jeb, not you.

sts302.jpg

700km x 699km orbit, inclined at 29.8 degrees.

sts303.jpg

Telescope main body deployed

sts304.jpg

One power module attached, the 2nd is just being deployed.

sts305.jpg

Telescope fully assembled and operational

sts306.jpg

Jeb, you need to go left a bit

sts307.jpg

Jeb, you still need to go left.

sts308.jpg

Well that's looking a bit better

sts309.jpg

I said all along that Jeb knew what he was doing.

sts310.jpg

Mission STS-4/4R also completed.

Spoiler

Broken shuttle is in a 360km orbit at 26.3 degrees

sts401.jpg

Due to lack of seating, it's just Jeb and Bill on board the rescue flight, to make room to pick everyone up

sts402.jpg

Did someone call a taxi.

sts403.jpg

Was that your left or my left?

sts404.jpg

I knew those new docking ports would come in handy for something.

sts405.jpg

I think that's the difficult bit over with.  Let's go home.

sts406.jpg

Well you definitely learnt something about re-entry from a skewed orbit after that last flight Jeb.

sts407.jpg

Definitely need to get those brakes looked at, but at least we kept it on the runway this time.

sts408.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

Hi, this challenge looks cool! I made a stock replica of the Sierra Nevada Corp.'s Dream Chaser. Here it is doing STS-1T and STS-1a:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTLfFrPndc&t=164s

Spoiler

Also, does cargo need to be carried up in a cargo bay, or can it be attached to the end of the shuttle, where the rocket would lift it up and detach so that the shuttle would be used as a sort of tug?

Edited by Alienwall

Finally build a stable shuttle, so I would like to submit my entries for the STS-1T and STS-1a challenge.

STS-1T:

Spoiler

qmd83F0.png

kCBv80h.png

xrKPf2S.png

qKVBRhz.png

lJAAMZ6.png

ZakKP6x.png

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/45Uw7gP

STS-1a:

Had some problems to get proper screenshots during the ascent while controlling the shuttle, so I've created a video instead. I'm sorry for the length of the video, I don't know anything about video editing and how to create a time lapse :/

Installed mods:

• Distant Object Enhancement
  • Editor Extensions Redux (+dependencies 'Toolbar Controller' & 'ClickThroughBlocker')
  • EVE
  • KER
  • Kopernicus (incl. Modular Flightintegrator)
  • Maneuvernode Evolved
  • PlanetShine
  • PlanetShine
  • RCS BuildAID
  • Scatterer
  • SVE
  • SVT
  • ModuleManager (dependency for Kopernicus, no other patches)
Edited by 4x4cheesecake

16 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Mission STS-3 now done.

While the STS-4looks just fine, the STS-3, unfortunately, doesn't. Quoting the rules:

"This will require assembly with the 2 MMUs you will design, as the solar panels need to be attached on-orbit with Kerbals."

You can't just add a bit of monoprop and a thruster or two to the solar arrays. You have to design 2 MMUs (manned maneuvering unit), which will pick up the arrays from the cargo bay, attach it to the telescope, and redock to the shuttle. Payload design is the main goal od this mission, so you are not eligible for a badge this time, sorry.

11 hours ago, Alienwall said:

Hi, this challenge looks cool! I made a stock replica of the Sierra Nevada Corp.'s Dream Chaser. Here it is doing STS-1T and STS-1a:

Welcome to the challenge!

Thats a really nice peewee shuttle you have there :) It seems it has a pretty goog gliding capacity too, and you hit the runway quite precisely!

Your missions indeed do qualify for the STS-1a and STS-1T badges, wear the proudly!

QThe6Sf.jpg?1LOkYAUP.png?1

About the cargo question - yes, it has to be in a cargo bay. If this wasn't the case, people would just launch a rocket with a cargo and slap a small shuttle next to it, which is not the spirit of this challenge. You will probably need to design a new, bigger shuttle for some of the missions here.

5 hours ago, qzgy said:

Hey I'm back! Worked  on the new Mun mission with a new shuttle. Was quite fun! Hope it qualifies for commander, though it was built a bit high in orbit.....

Glad to see you again :)

The slightly higher orbit is not that much of an issue. But I'd like to poke at a few other things..... :)

1) - There is no crew in the shuttle, and no crew pods either - the shuttle should be manned for all missions.

2) - The infinite fuel thing. While I do appreciate the honesty, why did you even turn it on in the first place? Some sort of a bug, was it still on from some sort of testing, or what happened there?

3) - The shuttle has a bit over 9,000 m/s of delta-V, with the payload still inside. This sounds like a bit too much - what kind of engines are those? Would you mind sharing the craft file with me, or at least the stats of the engines? Seems a bit like some sort of dark magic to me..... :)

I'd like to know a bit about that before awarding the badge. Sorry for that, I hope you understand my uncertainties.

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Finally build a stable shuttle, so I would like to submit my entries for the STS-1T and STS-1a challenge.

You managed to design a very nice spacecraft there! It has a lot of wings compared to the real thing, and it shows in the cross-range capacity on the first test pilot mission you flew. Both the missions look really nice and controlled pretty much the whole time, maybe with the exception of almost-not-stopping-on-the-runway, but that's really not a problem :)

So, here are your badges, and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

QThe6Sf.jpg?1LOkYAUP.png?1

Michal.don

2 minutes ago, michal.don said:

You managed to design a very nice spacecraft there! It has a lot of wings compared to the real thing, and it shows in the cross-range capacity on the first test pilot mission you flew. Both the missions look really nice and controlled pretty much the whole time, maybe with the exception of almost-not-stopping-on-the-runway, but that's really not a problem :)

So, here are your badges, and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I like my SSTOs with big wings to achieve high gliding capabilities so it was obviously to me to build my orbiter with the same big wings.

Well, I had a pretty late touchdown during the landing and lost a lot of the runway space, but I'll try to improve next time ;)

Thats a really nice peewee shuttle you have there :) It seems it has a pretty goog gliding capacity too, and you hit the runway quite precisely!

Your missions indeed do qualify for the STS-1a and STS-1T badges, wear the proudly!

Haha, thanks!

About the cargo question - yes, it has to be in a cargo bay. If this wasn't the case, people would just launch a rocket with a cargo and slap a small shuttle next to it, which is not the spirit of this challenge. You will probably need to design a new, bigger shuttle for some of the missions here.

Ok, thanks for responding. I’ll probably add a cargo bay to it in that case.

Edited by Alienwall

4 hours ago, michal.don said:

Glad to see you again :)

The slightly higher orbit is not that much of an issue. But I'd like to poke at a few other things..... :)

1) - There is no crew in the shuttle, and no crew pods either - the shuttle should be manned for all missions.

2) - The infinite fuel thing. While I do appreciate the honesty, why did you even turn it on in the first place? Some sort of a bug, was it still on from some sort of testing, or what happened there?

3) - The shuttle has a bit over 9,000 m/s of delta-V, with the payload still inside. This sounds like a bit too much - what kind of engines are those? Would you mind sharing the craft file with me, or at least the stats of the engines? Seems a bit like some sort of dark magic to me..... :)

I'd like to know a bit about that before awarding the badge. Sorry for that, I hope you understand my uncertainties.

OK no its fine to poke at other things.

1) Guess I forgot about that. Oops. I'll fix it and I guess redo it? It shouldn't be a difficult change to make.

2) Yeah it was accidentally left on from testing. On that one I stuck a probe core and some batteries in the ET/Booster and tried to land it Falcon 9 style. Didn't quite have enough fuel to actually land the ET, so I tried sticking on infinite fuel to hopefully maybe help land it. Still ended up crashing though.

3) I think you are talking about the last launch right? I honestly don't know why KER says that. The engines on the shuttle are just normal rhino engines. My guess the extraordinarily high delta-V readout is from the ion engines/propulsion module which by itself has about 6,000 m/s of dV. But in any case, here is the craft file https://www.dropbox.com/s/c94k9hy9swy66ei/Scott Shuttle STSM-7.craft?dl=0

Propulsion module by itself with dV readout.

38nQxYi.png

Uncertainties are perfectly understandable. Do you want me to do a redo because of the first part or something else?