Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

So, I have still a lot of space left in my cargo bay after putting in the probe for EVE STS - 1....suggestions for some extra stuff I can carry over there?^^

I was considering sending an asteroid detector sat if there's room in the cargo bay, then push it to Jool with a gravity assist around Eve to scan the sky in preparation for the Jool mission.  (would that be allowed?)

Or you could send relay sats to Eve / Gilly to complete the network started in the 3rd Duna mission.

Edit: 50 pages! Congrats!

Edited by Ozelui

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Already one on top of the cockpit does a pretty good job....just 2 more for the wings and I can reentry at almost every speed :D

Hide contents

BrdmKs4.png

edit: Hahaha, I just love this game. You got a crazy idea? Go for it!

Hide contents

Attack of the heatshields!
yGHkXtx.png

It actually works!
eSZE46R.png

Everything is covered:
bWZMtTT.png

I've seen a lot of things in this game, but that is certainly something quite special :D

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Already one on top of the cockpit does a pretty good job....just 2 more for the wings and I can reentry at almost every speed :D

Hide contents

BrdmKs4.png

edit: Hahaha, I just love this game. You got a crazy idea? Go for it!

Hide contents

Attack of the heatshields!
yGHkXtx.png

It actually works!
eSZE46R.png

Everything is covered:
bWZMtTT.png

Okay, you've officially made my day! :D

36 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

I was considering sending an asteroid detector sat if there's room in the cargo bay, then push it to Jool with a gravity assist around Eve to scan the sky in preparation for the Jool mission.  (would that be allowed?)

Or you could send relay sats to Eve / Gilly to complete the network started in the 3rd Duna mission.

I like the idea of sending something to assist in further missions but somehow I doubt that it is allowed. Otherwise I would send a probe with an ore refinery to Bob and stop there to refuel during Jool STS - 1^^

I'll proably go with the relay sats...4 of them should still fit inside the cargo bay, maybe a small Gilly probe as well :)

6 hours ago, michal.don said:

More missions are definitely coming, don't worry. But I try to make the missions that they are more than just "go there and back". I like then to have some sort of "purpose", or a special twist caused by the specific location. I'm not saying we will not go to Eeloo/Dres/wherever, but I don't think it will be in the next one or two missions.

What about an outpost near Vallhenge, with 1 rover, science experiments to carry around, various probes on the hills around to mimic triangulation of the monuments, surface-based telescope to look at a distand galaxy or stuff like that ? :D

Maybe we could also use Laythe's outpost to refuel a tanker, or move the crew around to pack Vall's base with scientists..

Edited by Kerbolitto

13 hours ago, michal.don said:

While I really like it, I probably won't make it a requirement for a mission. But, if you are willing to do so, I could share it here as a subassembly for people to use, if they like. All credit for the arm would of course go to you ;)

Does this imply I would get the badge? ;)

15 hours ago, Dman Revolution said:

Kids that ask will get passed on, those that don't will be forgotten ;)

Edited by hoioh

On 11/13/2018 at 3:49 PM, Ozelui said:

I'd say, scanners would be allowed, but anything directly used in the Jool mission would not.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, JacobTheFoxx said:

I've seen a lot of things in this game, but that is certainly something quite special :D

Yeah, I consider creating another type of badge for using especially crazy contraptions in the most unusual ways..... :) 

On 11/13/2018 at 11:55 PM, Dman Revolution said:

Well, I don't know... This challenge moved from using a lot of subassemblies (CommSats, Hubble, etc) to encouraging everybody to use their own. And I have not awarded this badge, yet. But it looks really cool, so I'm considering it. Could you please send me the craft file, so I can test it myself, and see what it can/can't do? Would be much appreciated.

47 minutes ago, michal.don said:

I'd say, scanners would be allowed, but anything directly used in the Jool mission would not.

Yeah, I consider creating another type of badge for using especially crazy contraptions in the most unusual ways..... :) 

Well, I don't know... This challenge moved from using a lot of subassemblies (CommSats, Hubble, etc) to encouraging everybody to use their own. And I have not awarded this badge, yet. But it looks really cool, so I'm considering it. Could you please send me the craft file, so I can test it myself, and see what it can/can't do? Would be much appreciated

Considering what you're saying, could it be an idea to repurpose the existing badge in the light of the changes to the challenge as a whole? (Not that I would ever qualify)

1 hour ago, hoioh said:

Considering what you're saying, could it be an idea to repurpose the existing badge in the light of the changes to the challenge as a whole? (Not that I would ever qualify)

Well, possibly... I have to think it through, and eventually, outsource the badge creation to somebody, since my MS paint skills would prolly not be enough... :D 

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

Well, possibly... I have to think it through, and eventually, outsource the badge creation to somebody, since my MS paint skills would prolly not be enough... :D 

Let me know if you need help with the latter, I'm a pretty proficient photoshop artist

4 hours ago, michal.don said:

Wouldn't that be the Skunkworks Badge? Sounds like it would be the thing for it.

10 hours ago, michal.don said:

Well, I don't know... This challenge moved from using a lot of subassemblies (CommSats, Hubble, etc) to encouraging everybody to use their own. And I have not awarded this badge, yet. But it looks really cool, so I'm considering it. Could you please send me the craft file, so I can test it myself, and see what it can/can't do? Would be much appreciated.

Welp here ya go then:

https://kerbalx.com/DemoRevolution/KerbalArm

On 11/15/2018 at 8:42 PM, michal.don said:

I could take back over with making new badge designs. I still have the original source files for the current batch and I should have time to whip up new designs every now and then.

Sorry for the wait again guys, It seems it's becoming a pattern, I'm a bit busy the last few weeks. I'll try to get here and review your entries at least twice a week, but I can't promise that, unfortunately. Thanks for your patience!

On 11/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, hoioh said:

Let me know if you need help with the latter, I'm a pretty proficient photoshop artist

Thanks for the offer, but since @mythic_fci is back, I'll probably ask him, when the time comes.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:25 PM, qzgy said:

Wouldn't that be the Skunkworks Badge? Sounds like it would be the thing for it.

From my view, not really. Skunkworks badge is for impressive engineering or flying achievements, along the lines of "wow, I never would have thought that was possible". But I might create a badge saying "wow, I never thought someone would thing of something this crazy/stupid/crazy+stupid but it somehow works" :) 

On 11/15/2018 at 8:19 PM, JacobTheFoxx said:

Finished STS-2a and STS-2b!

Nice video! :) 

For the STS-2b part, no complaints - nice, but difficult docking, mere dozens of metres above the atmosphere. Good job!

For the STS-2a - I can't see the part where you adjust the CommSat orbits - you just seemed to let them go, and come back to LKO to retrieve the fuel pod. Could you please provide some more details about the spacing, possibly with screenshots? Thanks!

So, for now, the STS-2b badge for you:

v4a3YWl.jpg?1

On 11/15/2018 at 10:18 PM, Dman Revolution said:

Welp here ya go then:

Thanks, I'll give it a spin when I have a bit of gaming time :) 

Much appreciated!

On 11/16/2018 at 5:50 PM, mythic_fci said:

I could take back over with making new badge designs. I still have the original source files for the current batch and I should have time to whip up new designs every now and then.

Thank you very much for your offer - I might ask you for a badge or two, from time to time... :)

On 11/17/2018 at 12:42 PM, mythic_fci said:

In other news... 'Halcyon' has finished STS-2A!

Beautiful screenshots, indeed!

And a pretty impressive mission, too. The sats look perfectly spaced, and the change-of-plan for the landing location says a lot about your piloting capacity. Very well done! Just curious - How many landing strips do you have on Kerbin? I'm not familiar with that one, so I suppose it's from a mod?

Anyway, here's your badge, congratulations!

Jm6F4Br.jpg?1

Michal.don

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

From my view, not really. Skunkworks badge is for impressive engineering or flying achievements, along the lines of "wow, I never would have thought that was possible". But I might create a badge saying "wow, I never thought someone would thing of something this crazy/stupid/crazy+stupid but it somehow works" :) 

What about Jool5 shuttles ( :p ) ?

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

Nice video! :) 

For the STS-2b part, no complaints - nice, but difficult docking, mere dozens of metres above the atmosphere. Good job!

For the STS-2a - I can't see the part where you adjust the CommSat orbits - you just seemed to let them go, and come back to LKO to retrieve the fuel pod. Could you please provide some more details about the spacing, possibly with screenshots? Thanks!

So, for now, the STS-2b badge for you:

v4a3YWl.jpg?1

Thanks!

I didn't adjust them, I did just let them go. Can't recall where I said I adjusted them, but alright. Here's a screenshot of them in the tracking station after the mission: DD3QVTZ.png

They were deployed like that, I don't see any drift, but that's for you to decide.

45 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

What about Jool5 shuttles ( :p ) ?

The first (and very impressive) shuttle Jool-5 got the Skunkworks badge, and a link to the mission is in the OP... But I can't award a Skunkworks badge for every shuttle Jool-5, otherwise all of you lot would have one pretty soon :D 

40 minutes ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

I didn't adjust them, I did just let them go. Can't recall where I said I adjusted them, but alright. Here's a screenshot of them in the tracking station after the mission:

Ah, alright, I thought you were going for the commander level (where the sats have to be equidistant). If that is not the case, here's your "pilot" level badge:

FvojaPY.jpg?1

congrats :) 

Just now, michal.don said:

The first (and very impressive) shuttle Jool-5 got the Skunkworks badge, and a link to the mission is in the OP... But I can't award a Skunkworks badge for every shuttle Jool-5, otherwise all of you lot would have one pretty soon :D 

Ah, alright, I thought you were going for the commander level (where the sats have to be equidistant). If that is not the case, here's your "pilot" level badge:

FvojaPY.jpg?1

congrats :) 

Yeah, I realised my mistake far too far into the mission for me to be bothered to go for the commander badge, but hey at least it's still STS-2 completed, so now on to STS-3!

9 minutes ago, JacobTheFoxx said:

I'm a little confused with STS-3, does the mission state that I must attach the solar panels in orbit with some orbital manoeuvring chair that I make for the kerbals?

Yes, pretty much. You have to design the telescope, the attachable solar arrays, and the MMUs (Manned Maneuvering Units) and do the assembly in orbit. 

Also, I finally tweaked and edited lots of small things in the OP and the rules. And quite a bit of spelling errors, too :) If you happened to stumble on anything out of place, or straight wrong, please, let me know so I can fix it too :)