Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

On 12/13/2018 at 11:02 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

@sturmhauke Nice drawings! :) 

Yeah, the Y-Axis offset is a huge problem, also on an american style shuttle (probably still smaller than on a buran):

Qyve59e.png

On the bright side: A heavy payload will reduce the offset (this one is empty)^^

TCA looks promising but also pretty complicated on the first sight. Unfortunately, the thread doesn't seems to be supported very well, maybe some other shuttle pilots got some experience with the mod and can explain it a bit.

By the way, there is another nuance about Energia which is not that obvious from the first look, but improves the handling greatly - second stage engines are not under center of the stage. They are closer to the payload/orbiter - which greatly reduces necessary engine deflection in final parts of the ascent (and for the early part boosters are meant to fix the balance by being on the other side of CoM)

I tinkered with my old launch vehicle a bit more (I call it "Phoenix"), using some of you guys' suggestions, but I got impatient with it. I might go back at some point and try again.

Meanwhile, I completed my less realistic but more Kerbally symmetrical launch system, called "Firetail", and used it to do the STS-3 mission. Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/hfc5xn5

Spoiler

RWVFPAu.png

XqEpAbB.png

SNZD6Cg.png

PuETvYo.png

S7X3IHo.png

Qrqa8jU.png

LvEA4qu.png

IHRh3Ux.png

Sorry for the slight delay again, full christmas-madness is starting to take more and more of my time.... :)

Interesting debate about the CoM shifts and possible CoT adjustments - that's one of the things I love about this thread.... :) 

Anyway, let's check the entries:

On 12/14/2018 at 1:28 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

So there is no new flight report in almost 2 weeks? Let's change that and fire up the engines again!

STS - 5T

Great execution of the free return maneuver - and without correction burns, good job! And great improvised change of landing site, that's a feat worthy of a great test pilot ;) And, I don't know why, but I absolutely love the screenshot of the shuttle changing the inclination in the atmosphere - that's a great picture!

On 12/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Let's hope everything is fine with STS - 5T because here is already:

STS - 6T

I was looking forward to seeing creative solutions of this one - and I'm certainly not disappointed - recovery via a giant bathtub :D Not the most elegant craft around, but gets the job done for sure.

So, good job on both of your missions, and congratulations on being the first one to claim the new badge!

7zmbGnp.png?1nt5jgwx.png?1

Michal.don

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

Great execution of the free return maneuver - and without correction burns, good job! And great improvised change of landing site, that's a feat worthy of a great test pilot ;) And, I don't know why, but I absolutely love the screenshot of the shuttle changing the inclination in the atmosphere - that's a great picture!

Thank you :) I like the screenshot as well, that's why I have one without the UI (the angle is slightly different but IMO even better) ;)

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

I was looking forward to seeing creative solutions of this one - and I'm certainly not disappointed - recovery via a giant bathtub :D Not the most elegant craft around, but gets the job done for sure.

So, good job on both of your missions, and congratulations on being the first one to claim the new badge!

Glad to hear you like my solution ;) The first prototype of the craft actually got a full 'cup' on top of it:

s6Sjeyb.png

But I had to get rid of ~3/4 of the tube to lower the part count and especially the mass...there is also still another variation of the craft in development, basically the same craft but with wings...just for fun :)
Oh and: WOOHOOO FIRST!! :cool:

Apropos in development: I'm also working on a third shuttle to close the gab between the small, LKO capable one and the huge 'I can reache every planet' one :) I plan to use it in the Eve mission (the other shuttles cannot reach Eve or are not able to aerobreak into an orbit in one shot), really curious how it will perform but still needs some more finetuning regarding the balacing, which actually brought me back to the CoM shift issue^^

Spoiler

It got a boxwing! :)
3exAL1U.png

Fmcs6WQ.png

On 12/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, sturmhauke said:

I tinkered with my old launch vehicle a bit more (I call it "Phoenix"), using some of you guys' suggestions, but I got impatient with it. I might go back at some point and try again.

Meanwhile, I completed my less realistic but more Kerbally symmetrical launch system, called "Firetail", and used it to do the STS-3 mission.

Damn, I just noticed I missed the mission part of your post!

But I saw it now, and it looks great! Awesome atypical telescope and solar array design, and a succesfull maiden voyage of a new orbiter+LV combination - congratulations! Definitely a badge-worthy endeavour, so, here goes:

qZ10w1g.jpg?1

Good job!

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I like the screenshot as well, that's why I have one without the UI

Awww, this one's even better ;)

4 hours ago, michal.don said:

Damn, I just noticed I missed the mission part of your post!

But I saw it now, and it looks great! Awesome atypical telescope and solar array design, and a succesfull maiden voyage of a new orbiter+LV combination - congratulations! Definitely a badge-worthy endeavour, so, here goes:

qZ10w1g.jpg?1

Good job!

Thanks! I even had someone on imgur request the craft file, so I put it up on my KerbalX page. Now I'm thinking of some kind of shenanigans to justify the rescue mission. Oh, the rescue shuttle doesn't have to be the same design as the damaged shuttle, does it? I have an older Dreamchaser-style design specifically meant for rescues.

Time to get my STS 1b badge with a brand new shuttle...

Meet My new and improved STS:

ObbAGjX.pngtozL5x4.png

*Edit* Tested and it can get into orbit with fuel to spare. Time to get 40 tons to orbit :D *Edit 2* Images of test flight (No payload, next flight will be for STS 1b):

3aLIg0V.jpg

nzoeZBG.jpg

1nrpFS1.jpg

Edited by Starslinger999

My fellow shuttle-holics,

there is a special Christmas mission available for the duration of the holidays.

You will be catching lost christmas presents in space and delivering them to the North pole (the full description is in the OP)

ruOJ8fk.png?1

There is also a special badge for anyone who completes this mission

UZFqBce.png?1

I hope you will have fun with this short mission,

and I wish you all very happy holidays, hopefully spent with the people who you care for and who really matter in your life.

All the best to all of you, lots of luck and happiness in the new year,

And I'm looking forward to seeing each and every one of you around here and the rest of the forums.

Space Shuttle Christmas

Michal.don

14 minutes ago, michal.don said:

there is a special Christmas mission available for the duration of the holidays.

:0.0::0.0::0.0:

I just startet to work on the Eve-STS 1 so I can hand it in tomorrow, because of 'christmas eve'...you know...yeah...bad joke xD

But this is much better^^ I love the idea and the presents...the bow looks better than every real bow made by me :D 

Do you have a shuttle on your christmas tree for real? I guess some people wouldn't be pleased if I try that but it looks cool ^^

edit: The present got 117 parts?! Apparently, the framerate will be challenged as well in this mission if you take all three of them :D

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

12 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

the bow looks better than every real bow made by me :D 

Same here :D

Do you have a shuttle on your christmas tree for real? I guess some people wouldn't be pleased if I try that but it looks cool ^^

Unfortunately, no... Just a nice picture I found on google :)

edit: The present got 117 parts?! Apparently, the framerate will be challenged as well in this mission if you take all three of them :D

Yeah, the seismometer ribbons are quite part-heavy :( But they are there just for the looks, feel free to remove them if you suspect things would go too laggy ;) 

Phew, that's a huge mission if you decide to pick up all three presents :o But here we go:

STS - 1C

AoRr3o0.png
(really mad paint skills here^^)

Well, not much to say about it....it is a really cool mission and more challenging than it looks like on the first moment. On the other hand, I didn't plan much for this mission, I bascially just put 3 docking ports into the orbiter and launched the shuttle, hoping for the best :D

Spoiler

Lift-off!:
dyNIAyy.jpg

First destination: Duna
NDYElBv.jpg

Some basic aerobreaking:
jx4RVV0.jpg

Capture the first present:
w4Jon11.jpg

Head back to Kerbin:
ksMJJym.jpg

Keep cool during a hot aerobreak:
JgrZvng.jpg

Second destination: Mun!
E6wemMR.jpg

Got a really nice shot while performing the rendevouz maneuver:
Z5R6ETf.jpg

Capture the second present:
QNifxHz.jpg

Third destination: Minmus!
iVYig59.jpg

Always on the dark side :(
t4Zzerk.jpg

One port is still available:
wz5VqgR.jpg

Got it!
2CQmASC.jpg

Back at Kerbin:
VdaznpV.jpg

We should do more stuff around the poles, it looks really cool!
WaCTvIQ.jpg

vtPZVvT.jpg

Landed:
nEwdbxe.jpg

Really close to the pole:
7aIR93c.jpg

So...where's Santa?
hkhdvfK.png

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/KvtiwJS
(picture heavy!)

Had to update my new shuttle because 1.6 dropped right after I finished. Using 3.75m Boosters now and no weird ET up front for now. Can fly an Orange tank to orbit and has nuclear engines for interplanetary missions. Will get pictures here ASAP

*Edit* Pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KSl7xyV

It should be ok with the 40t payload as the fuel station was about 38.57t

Edited by Starslinger999

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Phew, that's a huge mission if you decide to pick up all three presents :o But here we go:

I sort of got used to hard things not taking too much time around here, but it still surprises me how quick some of you are :) Nice report, beautiful pictures and great job getting all three presents in one go - I hope you enjoyed the mission :) 

and, of course, a Christmas badge for you:

UZFqBce.png?1

Michal.don

7 hours ago, michal.don said:

I sort of got used to hard things not taking too much time around here, but it still surprises me how quick some of you are :) Nice report, beautiful pictures and great job getting all three presents in one go - I hope you enjoyed the mission :) 

and, of course, a Christmas badge for you:

Thank you :)

I'm going to visit my family during the hollidays, so yesterday was pretty much the last chance for me to participate ;) Also, it's nice just to put your shuttle on the pad, launch it and do a mission, without planning the dV requirements for every step :) 

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

is it ok for the christmas mission if I make a 1.3 version of the present and use that instead? All my stuff is still in 1.3....

Of course! My craft file doesn't work in 1.3? I tried using only stock parts i thought have been present for a long time.

Payload recovery? Mun, Minmus and Duna? Well, let me just check where I put the latest version of HRO-M...

03408923d186.png

Now need to plot the transfer to the third one

-----

And here it goes

795ba543edf3.png

Wait, why do the OMS perform worse than usual?  They got nerfed!? Oh well, we still got the delta v to get everywhere we need.

----

Bob, do you know who calibrated the Kerbnet biome detection? And are you sure those are the correct coordinates?

25d5d57a442c.png

And somebody please remind Santa Kerman that picking deliveries from Duna takes around 3 years with normal means of transportation unlike whatever he uses.

Full report will be... when it's finished (hopefully, tomorrow)

___

Oh, and 1 more thing: if somebody doesn't want to do all the setting it up stuff, here is the save file with the presents in the requested orbits

Edited by Alchemist

@michal.don I'm having a bit of trouble with my STS 2a Mission. I accidentally removed 2 SAS wheels when I Refitted my shuttle and now it's unstable in atmosphere (I had to aerobrake to a lower orbit and it took a few quicksaves because it kept flipping out) but I do have a station in orbit with 2 drones with the large SAS wheels. Will it still be ok If I rendezvous with it and take a drone down for a landing?

Edited by Starslinger999

5 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

@michal.don I'm having a bit of trouble with my STS 2a Mission. I accidentally removed 2 SAS wheels when I Refitted my shuttle and now it's unstable in atmosphere (I had to aerobrake to a lower orbit and it took a few quicksaves because it kept flipping out) but I do have a station in orbit with 2 drones with the large SAS wheels. Will it still be ok If I rendezvous with it and take a drone down for a landing?

I think there's no problem with that but let's see what michal says.

Did you tried to move fuel around your shuttle to shift center of gravity ? That's usually the best thing you can do!

3 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:
8 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

I think there's no problem with that but let's see what michal says.

I think this might be a problem...transfer of fuel from already existing vessels like stations isn't allowed either and I think the same accounts for parts.

Also, payload design is part of the challenge, so you may have to prove that payload + reaction wheels still fit into the cargo bay.

On the other hand, an additional rendevouz and docking maneuver will increase the difficulty and fuel requirements for the mission, so maybe there will be an exception for you ;)

Try shifting the CoM like suggest by Kerbolitto seem to be the better solution ;)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

15 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

STS-1b is a success! With my new Nuclear Powered Shuttle. 

So the crazy LV really works :D Mission looks good, but I'll have to ask for at least two more screenshots documenting:

1) The final orbit of the fuel pod, for chcking the tolerances

2) The pod with the resource tab open, to check if it's still full

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

I'm having a bit of trouble with my STS 2a Mission. I accidentally removed 2 SAS wheels when I Refitted my shuttle and now it's unstable in atmosphere (I had to aerobrake to a lower orbit and it took a few quicksaves because it kept flipping out) but I do have a station in orbit with 2 drones with the large SAS wheels. Will it still be ok If I rendezvous with it and take a drone down for a landing?

Actually, that would be no-go. I have to draw a line somewhere, and while it would not be such a big issue in this mission, it's not possible to utilise infrastructure not built by the shuttle program. If I let this go, some people would launch all kinds of stuff to help them in their missions.

So, try the fuel-balancing trick to land your shuttle - it might work. You don't need a lot of reaction wheels to land from LKO, if your design is aerodynamicaly decent ;) 

I'm sorry and I hope you understand my reasons,

Michal.don