Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

1 minute ago, michal.don said:

You don't need a lot of reaction wheels to land from LKO, if your design is aerodynamicaly decent ;) 

This is true. I have a drone core on mine, which only provides enough torque (along with the cockpit reaction wheels) to turn very slowly in orbit. It's certainly of no use in atmosphere. Proper control surface layout is much more important on large craft.

Update Landed somehow with my fuel xfer making it more unstable but a quick xfer saved the shuttle. Will have pics soon. Also, I have a pic of the orbit of the 40t payload for STS-1b

Also, No modded parts that I know of for this because of 1.6 making my mods outdated.

BdTdWff.jpg

4qNvrLS.jpg

*Edit*

STS 2a is done pics here with orbit parameters for the satellites. Full geostationary network. Although my shuttle was able to reach geostationary altitude and have an orbital period of 4 hours for deployment because of the nuclear engines. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/M6u0VTy

Edited by Starslinger999

Back.... Back for one mission

https://imgur.com/a/YG2qdMh

PS I have been encountering some RAM issues in my pc (lack of new Artemis missions) So i had to set the quality to the lowest possible. if you do click on the album, You may be blinded by the pixels.

this mission took me 3 days (ram) to do and the docking alone took 1 hour. even MJ couldnt do it. I love you guys

16 minutes ago, Artienia said:

https://imgur.com/a/YG2qdMh

PS I have been encountering some RAM issues in my pc (lack of new Artemis missions) So i had to set the quality to the lowest possible. if you do click on the album, You may be blinded by the pixels.

this mission took me 3 days (ram) to do and the docking alone took 1 hour. even MJ couldnt do it. I love you guys

also its is kinda 1 am so that didnt help me

On 12/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, Starslinger999 said:

Update Landed somehow with my fuel xfer making it more unstable but a quick xfer saved the shuttle. Will have pics soon. Also, I have a pic of the orbit of the 40t payload for STS-1b

Also, No modded parts that I know of for this because of 1.6 making my mods outdated.

BdTdWff.jpg

4qNvrLS.jpg

*Edit*

STS 2a is done pics here with orbit parameters for the satellites. Full geostationary network. Although my shuttle was able to reach geostationary altitude and have an orbital period of 4 hours for deployment because of the nuclear engines. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/M6u0VTy

@michal.don So you see the edit

14 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Please, hang on for a while longer, I don't have the time to manage the thread every day, I'll hopefully get to it tomorrow ;)

holy excrements. i was about to qoute you on a question

You are in no rush, feel free to return when you like

3aIXK0Q.png

Is this allowed on mün mission? i wanted the shuttle's manned station to be deployed in a cool way and came up with this. just wanna ask if this is ok before you know, i do it

STS-4T Skylab Mission

Okay so finally, I finished my attempt at STS Skylab, feels like its been a very long time since I posted something .... : /

Part 1 : Launchpad and encounter with Skylab

y3psd2.jpg

pya3so.jpg

c3nvoj.jpg

Spoiler

Here's the circularization with the 2nd stage :

wf4est.jpg

And here's the encounter maneuver, using the shuttle own engines to align both orbits :

i3q3q3.jpg

Part 2 : Artisan's payload, deorbiting useless stuff & saving the hab-module

tck5u4.jpg

The big thumper is used as an adaptater to dock the shuttle, below it are 3 tiny pods to deorbit comm-mast and solar array, in the back is a rocket booster consisting of 2 Cheetah with their fuel supply. In the front you may see a very flat RoboTug.

10299p.jpg

wtaplh.jpg

pijihd.jpg

Spoiler

Shuttle is able to dock at the station by using the Thumper as a long arm :

xr6y7k.jpg

One of the tiny deorbiter docking to a large dish :

sl6zj4.jpg

Same technic to deorbit the second comm-mast :

vhrslg.jpg

And finally the solar panels :

n1hj3f.jpg

Now RoboTug bring the engine-pod to Skylab :

wve3gs.jpg

And just after that, it docks to the hab-module to take it back to the shuttle :

9czmou.jpg

Part 3 : Skylab goes to a higher orbit, while the shuttle barely avoid the ground !

3z3of8.jpg

ynsf46.jpg

r74esa.jpg

dsmrel.jpg

Spoiler

Skylab maneuver to get at its 200x200k final orbit :

n20j8g.jpg

Shuttle deorbit maneuver :

37wqzp.jpg

Coming in hot : you can see the desert airfield above the craft's port's fin

t86skt.jpg

Flare above the airfield, a bit tricky due to non-optimal weight distribution :

pv8bm1.jpg

I realized too late that the hab module doesn't have a Sr. dock but just a regular one, I hope this doesn't disqualify my entry !

Edited by Kerbolitto

4 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Wait, do you normally launch your shuttle upside down?! :0.0:

Yeah I'm doing this way since the beginning of the challenge ! I tried to design a "standard" shuttle on the side of boosters but it has to be ugly to work so I'm sticking with this idea :D

17 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

Yeah I'm doing this way since the beginning of the challenge ! I tried to design a "standard" shuttle on the side of boosters but it has to be ugly to work so I'm sticking with this idea :D

Suddenly my ideas don't seem so weird... :D

5 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Suddenly my ideas don't seem so weird... :D

Well thank you, I always try to be creative and do weird stuff :D This shuttle is also very reliable and easy to fly, the only modifications being a change of engines and an upside-down cargo-bay ! I'm quite proud of this craft :).

+ it looks stupid ! :confused:

Edited by Kerbolitto

Alright, holiday madness is over, all the family meetings survived with mental health mostly intact, so let's get to business :)

On 12/24/2018 at 6:41 PM, Starslinger999 said:

Sorry, but some bad news on my part - the final orbit is not within the required parametres (Pe and AP difference too big). Unfortunately, I can't award the badge.  Oh, I just noticed the edit, disregard, everything is in order, so the badge is rightfully yours :)

giYU8fw.jpg?1

On 12/24/2018 at 6:41 PM, Starslinger999 said:

On the other hand, this is right and proper, very good job! :) So, at least one badge for you, congrats!

Jm6F4Br.jpg?1

On 12/25/2018 at 12:26 AM, Artienia said:

Ho ho ho, Santa Shuttle is coming to town :) 

Great job recovering the two presents and succesfully landing them at the North pole, despite your RAM issues :) A holiday badge for you:

UZFqBce.png?1

On 12/25/2018 at 4:15 PM, Alchemist said:

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way.
Oh, how fun it is to ride
In open payload bay

And again, @Alchemist showing us all how it should be done :) Great job, great video report, and all three presents recovered - definitely worthy of a christmas badge:

UZFqBce.png?1

On 12/25/2018 at 8:09 PM, Artienia said:

there were so many pics that i made a dropbox. hopefully they are in order.

I really hope this gets accepted by Don. It has been a long  time i did this and now i am full of motivation

Looking good :) I'd like to check the station in a little more detail though, it's quite dark in the screenshots. Could you please provide on of the whole station, preferably on the day side of Kerbin? Thanks!

16 hours ago, Artienia said:

Is this allowed on mün mission? i wanted the shuttle's manned station to be deployed in a cool way and came up with this.

I you're talking about the first Mun mission, I'd say yes, you may deploy the outpost while flying, but the shuttle has to land on the Mun at least once to complete the mission.

16 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

Okay so finally, I finished my attempt at STS Skylab, feels like its been a very long time since I posted something .... : /

Wait, there is only one shuttle flight in your report - am I missing something, or is this just a WIP so far? If that is the case, I'll wait for the second flight... :) 

I hope I did not miss anything,

Michal.don

1 minute ago, michal.don said:

Wait, there is only one shuttle flight in your report - am I missing something, or is this just a WIP so far? If that is the case, I'll wait for the second flight... :)

Oh yeah sorry, I thought I could do 2 reports, the second payload is already loaded so I just have to fly the last part of the mission :)

8 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

Oh yeah sorry, I thought I could do 2 reports, the second payload is already loaded so I just have to fly the last part of the mission :)

No problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important :) Good luck with the second flight!

29 minutes ago, michal.don said:

No problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important :) Good luck with the second flight!

https://imgur.com/a/pJy8m07

here it is

Also does your rule apply to every mün mission? like in sts 2 do i have to land the shuttle once, three times or none because the pods are doinhg precisionn landing. Love some enlightning
"I you're talking about the first Mun mission, I'd say yes, you may deploy the outpost while flying, but the shuttle has to land on the Mun at least once to complete the mission."

Edited by Artienia

41 minutes ago, Artienia said:

here it is

Thanks, now I can see all I need, here's your badge:

t3gSvqs.jpg?1

good job!

42 minutes ago, Artienia said:

Also does your rule apply to every mün mission? like in sts 2 do i have to land the shuttle once, three times or none because the pods are doinhg precisionn landing. Love some enlightning

Ok, let's put it this way:

In the first two Mun missions (STS-1 and STS-2-4), each shuttle has to land on the Mun.

2 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Thanks, now I can see all I need, here's your badge:

t3gSvqs.jpg?1

good job!

Ok, let's put it this way:

In the first two Mun missions (STS-1 and STS-2-4), each shuttle has to land on the Mun.

Thank you! Time to update my signiture

It was the night before Christmas and Santa Kerman forgot to secure his precious cargo.   But fear not, kids!  Instead of building a Mun base, Jeb and the other elves... uhm I mean kerbonauts, stepped up to save the Christmas!

jsI2KTf.jpg

CwW12Zf.jpg

clTG0m2.jpg

Full mission report here

Does anyone know how this launch vehicle type is called?  I remember seeing a drawing like it in the KSP forums a long - Really long :D - time ago but could not find it anymore.

Now time to go back to that Mun base ;)

Spoiler

xpPULCS.png

Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year to everyone!

Edited by Ozelui