Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

8 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Wow, that's a huge, great looking shuttle! Looking forward to see your first mission report :)

almost entirely works except for the fact that it cannot survive reentry or fly because of plane physics that i do not understand.

VsSjEc1.jpg

its CoL is just behind the CoM the CoT is pointing directly through the CoM yet it still permanently pitches up and during reentry flips out turns around and falls apart :( 

jahKwFC.jpg

Edited by ZZetho
yeet

2 hours ago, ZZetho said:

its CoL is just behind the CoM the CoT is pointing directly through the CoM yet it still permanently pitches up and during reentry flips out turns around and falls apart :( 

Sounds like the CoL went in front of the CoM during the flight.   I'd recommend this mod, among other things it draws the CoM with empty tanks (or you can empty the tanks by hand, depending on the number of tanks, it can get boring quite quickly):

Spoiler

This image may not be the best example, the CoL is in a weird spot in this shuttle.  Anyway, the red dot is the dry CoM, if it stays in front of the CoL your shuttle should fly with its nose forward.   Another trick you can try if you saved the game before the flip is transfering whatever fuel is left to the forward tanks until the ship stops trying to flip back.

eWHtuCb.png

Hey shuttle pilots :)

A few month ago, @michal.don asked me to take over the challenge temporary to keep it running while he cannot review new mission reports due his busy real life. Originally, this was planned for the duration of ~a month which is slightly exceeded by this time :D That's partially my own fault because I enjoyed it to run this challenge and I didn't want to give it back :sticktongue:
But now, it's actually my own real life which becomes very busy, so I'm happy to announce the return of @michal.don to the challenge. From today, he will take care of you
again :)

@michal.don Thanks again for letting me run one of the most prestigious challenge on the forum, and also a big thanks to everyone who participated during this time.

Keep the shuttles flying :)

The kraken found my shuttle when trying to deploy cargo, and again on any saves where it's landed. I'm attempting to do rocket surgery (yes, that is a legitimate kerbal discipline, why do you ask?), but there's a chance I might have to scrap the project which would be a shame.

13 hours ago, Ozelui said:

Sounds like the CoL went in front of the CoM during the flight.   I'd recommend this mod, among other things it draws the CoM with empty tanks (or you can empty the tanks by hand, depending on the number of tanks, it can get boring quite quickly):

Reveal hidden contents

This image may not be the best example, the CoL is in a weird spot in this shuttle.  Anyway, the red dot is the dry CoM, if it stays in front of the CoL your shuttle should fly with its nose forward.   Another trick you can try if you saved the game before the flip is transfering whatever fuel is left to the forward tanks until the ship stops trying to flip back.

eWHtuCb.png

ZIthD5j.jpg

yeah that's it

thanks for the advice :) 

So after several kraken incidents on loading a landed save, and many unsuccessful attempts at dekrakenification hacking of the save file (editing autostruts to off, messing with World Stabilizer configs, etc.):

p9rlAmS.png

I instead loaded a save made during the descent and redid the mission from there. Afterwards I deployed the rover lab and then quickly launched the Munmoth back into orbit before loading any saves, thus evading the kraken. The rover lab on its own was able to handle the stress of physics reloading fine.

Z4QN4hL.png

I still have to complete the return to Kerbin and reentry, but I should be back on track.

20 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Thanks again for letting me run one of the most prestigious challenge on the forum, and also a big thanks to everyone who participated during this time.

First of all - big thanks to you for taking over the challenge for a while, you did a great job here. I really, really appreciate it :) 

I'd like to welcome all the new pilots that came here while I was off - I was watching what's going on around here, but I didn't post too much, so I feel an official "welcome" is only proper :) I hope you all had, and will have a great time designing and flying shuttles in this challenge!

So I guess we're back to the usual, you keep building and flying all these awesome shuttles, while I review the entries and award you the badges. I'm looking forward to it, it's good to be back :)

Michal.don

Aaand since I'm back, there is a new mission for you guys,

We're going to Minmus!

The Minmus missions will not be as difficult as the Duna/Eve/Jool ones, by far, so I expect you to impress me with great designs of the payloads ;) 

I know I promised the new missions a long, long time ago, but hopefully, there will be a few of them in a much more reasonable timeframe than usual :D And we're slowly, but steadily approaching "The big thing" we've been building towards the whole time. So, send my regards to the little moon, and have fun, the mission is in the OP right under the Eve mission.

Michal.don

STS 8 :

Sputnik & Chocolats II is complete !

9wQx6sB.jpg

Sputnik & Chocolat was the very first outpost I landed on another planet (Minmus), it was supposed to be a tea-house, provide chocolates to Kerbonauts and refuel an ugly spaceship, it was almost deployed correctly !

I'll be on holidays for a week or two so I won't be able to post 60 pics everyday :D

Edited by Kerbolitto

mission report for sts 1a

- i originally recorded this as a video but could not find somewhere to upload it that didn't take 3 years. so that's why there's the  stuff at the bottom.

COnDDCd.jpg

on the launchpad

RS8x8ma.jpg

just after launch

ffqFRsd.jpg srb's dropped

ehb50mx.jpg

going on to orbit

aCggGeh.jpg

more going into orbit

5ZEodrB.jpg

detaching external tank

hDEA9Zj.jpg

getting into orbit with nuclear engines.

LdWLRfP.jpg

orbit!

nmUEReo.jpg

getting out of orbit

BGKjWgN.jpg

reentry

rM5EcqB.jpg

flip!

0bbMdP4.jpg

turning on engines to slow down.

ZeBYEHq.jpg

opening chutes to turn around

jh3znHd.jpg

landing approach

lX8nIEm.jpg

touchdown!

d6sjRBn.jpg

challenge complete!

mods: RCS build aid

Edited by ZZetho
beacuse its me

Manual on how to be entertained for an evening ( now with more shuttles!!!!1!! ):

1 - Start working on the robotic arm moves. " Most of them are done, I think I can finish the rest today and finally start the REAL mission " 

3 - " Done, now I should try them with the set of moves already stored "

2 - Realize how the previous set of moves that you saved into the KAL-1000's are gone. 

3 - Panic!  :0.0:

4 - Check all the shuttles in the SPH and VAB only to find none of them has the moves you are looking for.

5 - Panic again!  :0.0:

6 - Check the savegames and find the only one with a test shuttle which had the moves stored in the KAL-1000's.

7 - Breathe.

8 - Save the game again. Now with more A's to be on top of the savegame list.

9 - Write them on papel.  Old good reliable paper that can not be overwritten.  :/   ( uhhhhh... yep, I did that and now realized my plan can be ruined by a pen :D )

9 - Play the moves for fun, find several mistakes and figure out I'll finish them some other day.

2 minutes ago, Ozelui said:

Manual on how to be entertained for an evening ( now with more shuttles!!!!1!! ):

1 - Start working on the robotic arm moves. " Most of them are done, I think I can finish the rest today and finally start the REAL mission " 

3 - " Done, now I should try them with the set of moves already stored "

2 - Realize how the previous set of moves that you saved into the KAL-1000's are gone. 

3 - Panic!  :0.0:

4 - Check all the shuttles in the SPH and VAB only to find none of them has the moves you are looking for.

5 - Panic again!  :0.0:

6 - Check the savegames and find the only one with a test shuttle which had the moves stored in the KAL-1000's.

7 - Breathe.

8 - Save the game again. Now with more A's to be on top of the savegame list.

9 - Write them on papel.  Old good reliable paper that can not be overwritten.  :/   ( uhhhhh... yep, I did that and now realized my plan can be ruined by a pen :D )

9 - Play the moves for fun, find several mistakes and figure out I'll finish them some other day.

You program a new Kal 1000 for every payload you want to deploy ?? o O

4 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

You program a new Kal 1000 for every payload you want to deploy ?? o O

Congrats on the Minmus mission!

Yep, but that's the easy part, the start and end of the sequences are the same, and only a few positions need to reprogramed on the shuttle arm itself. ;)   

Transfering the second arm into the station, using it's two docking ports to move first from the shuttle to the PPE and then to the habitat module it is far more problematic as the root docking port changes whenever it moves to the next attachment point.   For each movement the arm must be copied again in a different position and apparently there's no way to duplicate the programming when copying a KAL-1000.  But everything is coming together, if there are no more setbacks like today I think all of it will work by the end of the week.

1 minute ago, Ozelui said:

Congrats on the Minmus mission!

Yep, but that's the easy part, the start and end of the sequences are the same, and only a few positions need to reprogramed on the shuttle arm itself. ;)   

Transfering the second arm into the station, using it's two docking ports to move first from the shuttle to the PPE and then to the habitat module it is far more problematic as the root docking port changes whenever it moves to the next attachment point.   For each movement the arm must be copied again in a different position and apparently there's no way to duplicate the programming when copying a KAL-1000.  But everything is coming together, if there are no more setbacks like today I think all of it will work by the end of the week.

Thanks !

You're more patient than I am, I've let down a canadarm replica when I saw how wobbly that thing was .. Can't you put your Kals on a small module that you merge when your shuttle is ready ?

Just now, Kerbolitto said:

Can't you put your Kals on a small module that you merge when your shuttle is ready ?

Yes, but apparently the sequence of movements is not copied, not even the list of servos.  Or am I doing something wrong?