Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

5 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

You have been excommunicated from the Church of the Booster, for violations of the Sacred Writ of Moar Boosters.

I'd quote Buddha : "The less you have, the less you have to worry about" :D

.. After a quick reflexion, he doesn't sound very Kerbal.

17 hours ago, Cormorant - Mayflower said:

Well, at the bottom, you can see the craft file, pure stock, which was posted while the mission was in progress.

Ah, my bad, I did not notice that. In that case, here's your first badge:

YgXYW8T.jpg?1

Congratulations!

16 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

This really means a lot to me as I spent hundreds of hours trying to learn about SSTOs before switching to space shuttles ..!

In return I can say that this is by far the best challenge I've participated. I've learned a ton of stuff about lighter and sleeker designs. It really pushes us to create and adapt our payloads and missions around a standard cargo bay at the center of a winged space device :p

Well, if you think about it a bit, most of the shuttles here are basicly SSTOs strapped to a booster on steroids - all that practice did not go to waste ;)

Glad you are enjoying the challenge, I hope to deliver some more content for you all to enjoy!

9 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Coming in with the STS-2a mission.

Nice job again :) A "commander" level landing, but unfortunately, only a "pilot" badge this time - one sat is lacking for the A-league :) Maybe there is a slight redesign with a bigger cargo bay coming?

Anyways, congratulations on a second successful mission!

D5Lnjuz.jpg?1

9 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

By the way, my shuttle does have 2 modded parts

In that case, I'm taking back the first badge I gave you, here's the proper one instead:

nTYtbyq.jpg?1

2 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

I'd quote Buddha : "The less you have, the less you have to worry about" :D

.. After a quick reflexion, he doesn't sound very Kerbal.

I would have never expected to hear the sentence "Buddha doesn't sound very Kerbal" in my life, yet it kind of makes perfect sense :D

Michal.don

I knew that, I intentionally went for pilot level because I am super bad at setting up comms network. Thank you for the badge!

P.S Quick question, do I need to do the commander level of STS-2a to go to STS-3?

Edited by DunaManiac

All right, I am going to try doing STS 3. But do that, I need to completely redesign my shuttle.

This is my original design. I enlarged the cargo bay and built a bigger booster. I call this Adventure 0.1

YbDtFpE.png

I didn't have enough fuel though. So, MOAR Boosers! Adventure 0.2

ly7DzE6.png

This one still succeded, but before reentry I realised that the control surfaces on the left wing were gone. I couldn't control it, and it splashed down in the sea, but luckily, the pod survived.

So I completely rebuilt the shuttle from the ground up. I built the Adventure 1.0!

nTcOGUY.png

Side view.

ltxhKkD.png

After mishaps with the fuel routing, I produced the first test flight of the Adventure 1.0!

V90mJYO.png

This mission carried a full Jumbo-64 orange tank as a dummy payload.

LknLAXk.png

70vGFZe.png

Tank is still full.

7JkMQ7E.png

And after a harrowing landing, they landed! This isn't the final design though, I picked a too agressive descent profile and destroyed the nosecone. It also dosen't pitch enough, I'll add bigger canards later.

Mods used: Procedural Wings, Atomic Age, ScifiVisualEnhancements, Flare replacer, Planetshine and Distant Object Enhancements.

Edited by DunaManiac

Alright, a few new flights, let's go get them:

On 9/13/2019 at 10:04 PM, DunaManiac said:

P.S Quick question, do I need to do the commander level of STS-2a to go to STS-3?

No, any completion of the mission enables you to go for the next one.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:14 PM, DunaManiac said:

All right, I am going to try doing STS-2a commander rank before moving on to STS-3. but do that, I need to completely redesign my shuttle.

Well, if you picked up the MulletDyne fuel pod instead of the formerly-orange fuel tank, you'd have qualified for the "flight director" badge.... :) Still, congrats on a successful cargo run!

On 9/15/2019 at 9:32 PM, Kerbolitto said:

The High-Thrust ShOrPa is ready, extremely high and dangerously low TWR on demand ! :D

Well, that's certainly something I'm going to watch as it unfolds, good luck my friend!

Michal.don

STS Jool 5

Successfull landing on Bop (who cares) and Tylo (really ?) !

This was a bit intense :). Landing on Tylo with the very last droplets of fuel, but I still had the possibility to perform a better approach / capture, undock the Laythe outpost & plane in orbit (around Bop) and just pick it later :) !

WMbIFkb.jpg

O1ITOUo.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

On 9/19/2019 at 11:43 PM, DunaManiac said:

STS 3 "Can you see me?"

Well, you made the MMU part a bit easy on yourself - making the solar arrays kerballed? :)  Can't say I really approve this, but since the rules don't specifically ban this, there's not much I can do :D On the other hand, a nighttime landing on the island airfield is an impressive feat, so these two kind of balance each other, and you certainly deserve the badge ;) 

TcliiFr.jpg?1

Congratulations!

On 9/23/2019 at 12:21 AM, Kerbolitto said:

Successfull landing on Bop (who cares) and Tylo (really ?) !

Too bad the "likes" are disabled for the moment, another great part of your mission!

Michal.don

7 hours ago, michal.don said:

Too bad the "likes" are disabled for the moment, another great part of your mission!

Glad you like it !

It's getting easier everytime I try :p I did not think I could have done it with a shuttle lighter than 200t. (which is the limit of payload on my orbiter), but hey nukes are OP !

On 9/25/2019 at 10:45 PM, DunaManiac said:

STS-4

album: https://imgur.com/a/2FDrPb2

Hope you enjoy!

Good job on the rescue mission, and the runway landing! That's one of the trickier aspects of shuttle flying.... :) Mission complete, looking forward to seeing the next one ;) 

Here's your badge:

F2x1Z9Q.jpg?1

Congratulations!

(Oh, and I can't wait to be able to "like" again, so many rep-worty posts here.... )

Michal.don

15 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

STS 5-8 mission in the works, I've launched the first two modules. I will be finishing it tomorrow.

Good luck with your missions! I'm curious how the station will look like!

1 hour ago, Rover 6428 said:

Hello! I would like to participate in this challenge! I want to do the STS commander first.

Hello, welcome to the challenge!

Just to clear up some (possible) confusion - the "Pilot" and "Commander" aren't different missions, just different difficulties of each mission. You have to begin with STS-1a, but it's up to you whether you decide to go for the "Pilot" or "Commander" set of requirements. I hope I was clear enough for you to get what I meant.... :) Anyway, good to have you here, good luck with your first mission!

And one bit of (sort of) important info - tomorrow I'm leaving for three weeks for a holiday - my first real one this year - and @4x4cheesecake was again very kind to agree to take over the challenge for the time I'm gone. So, all the entry-checking and badge-awarding will be done by him, I'll just check the thread from time to time, when I encounter decent internet connection (which might not be too often) ;) So, I expect all of you to be on your best behavior, and have fun flying shuttles!

Michal.don

I have a question. By "Science labs" in the STS 5-8 mission, does it require a Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2 or can you just stick a hab on and call it a science lab? Also, do you have to launch the modules in a specific order in STS 5-8?

Edited by DunaManiac

I'm on a bit of a KSP hiatus for the moment. My laptop has some sort of issue with the sound driver that I've been trying to resolve, and it's been crashing a lot lately. I think it's time for an upgrade, but I might wait until we hear more about the KSP2 specs.

2 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I have a question. By "Science labs" in the STS 5-8 mission, does it require a Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2 or can you just stick a hab on and call it a science lab?

You don't need to use the MPL but you should put some scientific experiments on the modules to qualify them as "scientific modules" ;)

2 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Also, do you have to launch the modules in a specific order in STS 5-8?

No, you can launch the modules in any order you like :)