Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

8 hours ago, Jim123 said:

anyone know what the delta v you need to get to laythe land and back to kerbin?

Depends on your flight plan and how many gravity assists/aerobreaks you want to perform.

If you take a look at the deltaV map linked above and try to perform as many gravity assists as possible (Kerbin - Eve - Kerbin - Kerbin and multiple slingshots within the Jool system, especially around Tylo and Jool), you will probably end up with something around 9k - 10k m/s dV.

A little reminder though: you need to complete the kerbin missions 1-8 before you can proceed with the interplanetary missions.

8 hours ago, Jim123 said:

Also is realism Overhaul and RSS allowed?

Hm....the missions and parameters and designed for the stock system. If you can manage to adjust the mission requirements to RSS in a reasonable way and perform the mission, kudos to you. You will still get the same badge though.

7 hours ago, Mopoii said:

Full gallery for proof : https://imgur.com/gallery/Gm6N8p4

Was quite fun actually :)

Welcome to the challenge :)

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the mission but be warned, it is quiet addictive ;)

Your flight looks very controlled and while your shuttle seems to be a 'standard shuttle' in the first moment, it becomes quiet obvious that is it actually a bit unusual since you put some jet engines on it and used them during launch. Most people who got jet engines on the shuttle actually use them for landing.

I like it :)

Anyway, I still need a list of your installed mods so I can reward you with the appropriate badge (screenshot of your GameData folder would be fine as well)

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Welcome to the challenge :)

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the mission but be warned, it is quiet addictive ;)

Your flight looks very controlled and while your shuttle seems to be a 'standard shuttle' in the first moment, it becomes quiet obvious that is it actually a bit unusual since you put some jet engines on it and used them during launch. Most people who got jet engines on the shuttle actually use them for landing.

I like it :)

Anyway, I still need a list of your installed mods so I can reward you with the appropriate badge (screenshot of your GameData folder would be fine as well)

Thank you for complementing

I actually got the idea of jet engines from a Google image of the Buran shuttle which said it could've used jet engines. Thought the idea was cool so I decided to implement it.

Sadly I don't have access to my computer atm, but the only parts mod I used is Restock+ (which is where the main tank nosecone, booster nosecones and maybe even the boosters themselves come from ; basically slightly expanded Stock). The rest of my mods are visual and utility, such as KER, EVE, Scatterer, Restock etc.

16 hours ago, Mopoii said:

Sadly I don't have access to my computer atm, but the only parts mod I used is Restock+ (which is where the main tank nosecone, booster nosecones and maybe even the boosters themselves come from ; basically slightly expanded Stock). The rest of my mods are visual and utility, such as KER, EVE, Scatterer, Restock etc.

Ok, that's fine for me. Since the main purpose of Restock is to create a better look and does not change or add a different behaviour to the stock parts, I consider it to be some kind of a 'visual' mod. If someone here thinks differently about this, I would be happy to discuss the topic :)

So congratulations to your first badge  :)

C74yqgt.jpg?1

Edit: @Mopoii I probably made a mistake here and put your entry into the wrong category. I didn't know that Restock+ actually adds new parts to the game and the SRBs on your shuttle looks like the one I can find in the Restock+ release album. Since it is still possible that these SRBs (and other parts) are just reworked stock parts, I have to ask you specifically if there are any restock+ parts on your shuttle. 

I'm really sorry for the mess I've made out of this and the inconvenience :(

Edited by 4x4cheesecake
Wrong badge :/

15 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I probably made a mistake here and put your entry into the wrong category. I didn't know that Restock+ actually adds new parts to the game and the SRBs on your shuttle looks like the one I can find in the Restock+ release album. Since it is still possible that these SRBs (and other parts) are just reworked stock parts, I have to ask you specifically if there are any restock+ parts on your shuttle.

Yes, I do have Restock+ parts on that shuttle : the main tank nosecone and probably those 2 SRBs.

• 2 weeks later...

After at least 4 weeks (probably more), countless reverts, etc, I finally finished the Mun STS 2-4.  Videos are below the mission summaries.

Mun-STS-2 - Bring up the research base.  Shuttle was short on fuel, so waited for a refill

Mun-STS-3 - Spread over two videos, bring up the rover.  One of the videos has an amusing sequence where a shuttle decided to be a rover, and then decided to do a perfect backflip and land back on it's wheels.  This shuttle also brought up some refueling rovers, which had their own problems.  Had to wait for Mun-STS-4 for more fuel

Mun-STS-4 - Spread over five videos.  Landed about 5 km away from the base, so there are some rather long sequences of watching the rover travel over the surface.  All three shuttles and the EEV took off in the 4th video, two landed.  The third shuttle and the EEV landed in the last video.

Amazingly, all shuttles were able to land without needing engines, a first for me.  The third shuttle had a few reverts during the landing, but the first attempt worked, but was a little long.  I did two more to satisfy  myself;  only the last landing is shown on the videos

And now to the video tape:

Mun-STS-2  

Spoiler

Mun STS 3 (1 of 2)  

Spoiler

Mun STS 3 (2 of 2)  

Spoiler

Mun STS 4 (1/5)  

Spoiler

Mun STS 4 (2/5)  

Spoiler

Mun STS 4 (3/5)  

Spoiler

Mun STS 4 (4/5) 

Spoiler

Mun STS 4 (5/5)  

Spoiler

@linuxgurugamer You linked the wrong video for Mun STS - 2, found the correct one on your YouTube channel though ;)

Pretty remarkable mission after all, with drop engines for "on the fly" rebalancing, a spontaneously refuel side mission, some kerbal style stunts and of course, the first landings at the KSC without jet engines :) A bit unfortunate though that you targeted the wrong craft during the landing of Mun STS - 4 so the EEV was placed some kilometers away of the actual base but I'll turn a blind eye in this case since the rover could still reach it in a reasonable amount of time and even the EVA fuel of a Kerbal would be enough to reach it with a "long jump" ;)

So here is your well deserved badge and I'm looking forward to Mun STS - 5 - 7 :) 

AFtQVK6.jpg?1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Hm....the missions and parameters and designed for the stock system.

[citation needed] the required altitudes are for the most part taken directly from real life: Hubble at 550km, ISS above 300km, ...  while totally out pf proportion next to our tiny stock world, I don't think scaling is called for.

The 40t Mulletdyne pod, however, may turn out to be rather heavy. The real Space Shuttle could lift 15t or thereabouts.

2 hours ago, Laie said:

[citation needed] the required altitudes are for the most part taken directly from real life: Hubble at 550km, ISS above 300km, ...  while totally out pf proportion next to our tiny stock world, I don't think scaling is called for. 

The 40t Mulletdyne pod, however, may turn out to be rather heavy. The real Space Shuttle could lift 15t or thereabouts.

Well, the 40t Mulletdyne pod is an optional mission but how about STS - 2a and the geostationary orbit? Of course, it's not the orbiter which need to get there "just" at least 2 comsats but is it something doable in RSS?
Or the RTLS abort...while it is a real maneuver you have to perform, it requires to cut off an engine at approximately T+30, is it still a reasonable amount of time?
Finally, STS - 4T seems to be impossible  without adjusting parameters because AFAIK the atmosphere in RSS extends to 140km so you cannot put the skylab into a 80/90km orbit and if you want to use the real orbit of skylab (434/441.9km), it will already exceed the required final orbit of at least 200km.

The question was about RSS in general and so is my answer: yes, it is allowed but some parameters may need to be adjusted. This may not apply to every mission but in general ;)

2 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Of course, it's not the orbiter which need to get there "just" at least 2 comsats but is it something doable in RSS?

Absolutely. Again, the "gold" requirement of 350km is standard altitude for a shuttle. The comsat needs about 4km/s from there to GEO. Assuming an ISP of 300s, you need (pulls out slide rule) about 3/4s of your mass for fuel. So, 500kg satellite plus 1t for engine, tanks and whatnot, makes a gross mass of 6 tons in LEO, or 12t for two of them.

16 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

cut off an engine at approximately T+30, is it still a reasonable amount of time?

Regardless of body, the ability depends what fraction of thrust is lost when one engine fails, iow, how many engines you have to begin with. My own shuttle I showed around earlier this year only had one engine and couldn't do it in any event.

28 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

STS - 4T seems to be impossible  without adjusting parameters

Yup, right. That mission is built to Kerbin standards and needs adjustment.

43 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The question was about RSS in general and so is my answer: yes, it is allowed but some parameters may need to be adjusted. This may not apply to every mission but in general

OK OK...

19 minutes ago, Laie said:

Absolutely. Again, the "gold" requirement of 350km is standard altitude for a shuttle. The comsat needs about 4km/s from there to GEO. Assuming an ISP of 300s, you need (pulls out slide rule) about 3/4s of your mass for fuel. So, 500kg satellite plus 1t for engine, tanks and whatnot, makes a gross mass of 6 tons in LEO, or 12t for two of them.

If 350km is already the standard, you may even have to consider to increase the required orbit to get the commander badge :P And in this case, I have honestly no idea which orbital altitude would be appropriate in the scale of RSS. On the other hand, RSS seem to be more challenging anyway, so...I don't know :D

24 minutes ago, Laie said:

OK OK...

Oh, I hope I didn't annoy you? Just tried to share my thoughts I had when the topic came up :)

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

And in this case, I have honestly no idea which orbital altitude would be appropriate in the scale of RSS. On the other hand, RSS seem to be more challenging anyway, so...I don't know

350km is perfectly alright for RSS. If anything is wrong with that altitude, it's that it's way too high for stock KSP -- shuttles are supposed to stay in *low* orbit after all.

RSS isn't more difficult in and of itself. You need much more dV, but if you use SMURFF to adjust the dry masses of parts, it works nearly the same as stock KSP.

If you also use RO, you have a thousand possible failure modes when configuring your tanks and RCS systems for their proper fuel types; and on reentry I've always had a hard time to end it within gliding distance to the space center. Finally, FAR aerodynamics make for a fast approach to a very short runway.

The difference between a 200km and 350km Earth orbit is only 50m/s, by the way. Though even in stock I don't think it's a major difference.

Edited by Laie

So here is my entry into this challenge (and KSP forum too, actually):

STS - 1a

https://imgur.com/a/DeRd2Nb (album was made for KerbalX, so it has more images than necessary. Link to craft: https://kerbalx.com/Stariy_Yevrey/CTS-5)

STS - 1b

https://imgur.com/a/XC60Rl5

Both shuttles are completely stock.

Edited by Stariy_Yevrey

@Stariy_Yevrey Welcome to the forum and the challenge :)

That's a quiet unusual shuttle for STS - 1a and I always like to see some new desings :) Since you also posted the craft file, I did a little testflight and I have to say, I looks way easier to fly then it is^^ Took me a few tries to actually get into an orbit.

Well done :)

Unfortunately, there is a little problem: You don't provide a screenshot which actually shows the orbit. While it's nice to have an album for KerbalX to show your fancy craft, it's necessary for the challenge to show the important stages of the flight and in this case, no one can tell if you actually are in an orbit or a suborbital trajectory.

STS - 1b looks interesting as well. I like it how you covered all the engines and since I'm personally obsessed with big wings, I'm always impressed to see a shuttle with "stubby" wings to actually fly through the atmosphere and land at the KSC :D

By the way: The CTS - 5 craft is described as "pure stock" on KerbalX but KSP complains about some unknown partmodules likes "TweakScale", "LifeSupport", "KISInventory" and a few more. The craft loads fine though but you may want to keep an eye on these things ;)
Speaking of which: Please list all the mods you've used in the challenge (especially if there are any mod parts on the actual craft) so I can reward you the correct badge :) (You seem to use different mod sets during the missions so I need the list for both)

As soon as you provide the screenshot of the orbit for STS - 1a and the mod lists, I'll be happy to reward you with some fancy badges :)

3 hours ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

@4x4cheesecake  Orbit screenshot: 

Reveal hidden contents

xUA3hNt.png

STS - 1a was made on 1.4.5 version. I had a few mods installed, but none of the mod parts were used in that particular craft. Here is gamedata folder screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

RmCoAwq.png

STS - 1b was in 1.7, and I had only Kerbal egineer installed.

Perfect, thank you and congratulations to you first two badges :) 

QThe6Sf.jpg?1giYU8fw.jpg?1

10 hours ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

And here goes my STS - 2a: https://imgur.com/a/DcYrmey

Your third mission already looks like you never did something else then flying a shuttle and you even draw a new star into the sky :D 

Well done and deserved badge for you:

Jm6F4Br.jpg?1

(Your first map screen screenshot seem to be in the wrong position though, I guess that's the orbit after the second aerobreak?)

8 hours ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

Very good, looks like we got another addicted professional pilot here :)

Did you actually perform a double-docking with the pod? I cannot see any gaps between the docking ports but even if one of the ports is not docked, it's still a really narrow maneuver. That's impressive :)

I'm pretty sure to know the answer to this question but I'm curious: Why is the dV readout showing higher values at the end of the mission than at the beginning (on the suborbital trajectory after launch)?

Also, did you manage to land it on the first try? It is indeed really tough^^

Anyway, congratulation to your new badge :)

v4a3YWl.jpg?1

@4x4cheesecake

7 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Did you actually perform a double-docking with the pod?

Yes, it was a double-docking. But I can't say that it was significantly harder than normal one.

7 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Why is the dV readout showing higher values at the end of the mission than at the beginning (on the suborbital trajectory after launch)?

Because fuel in rear tank was locked until reentry. And yeah, I didn't land it on a first try. There were a lot of attempts.

13 minutes ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

Yes, it was a double-docking. But I can't say that it was significantly harder than normal one.

Oh really? Every time I tried it, something went wrong and one side wasn't docked or of of the ports wasn't aligned properly but docked anyway. I tried it with the junior port though, maybe the small port just behave a bit different (or I'm just a bad pilot when it comes to double-docking :confused:).

19 minutes ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

Because fuel in rear tank was locked until reentry.

Yep, that's what I thought but had to ask ;) 

By the way, I've noticed, that the pre-build 40t pod no longer has a mass of 40t in KSP 1.7.0 since some parts where automatically replaced by revamped/newer versions but I cannot update the craft and link it in the OP so I'm not going to decline any entry which uses this pod, just because 80kg are missing :)