Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

@Mopoii

It means that you need to attach solar panels to telescope on orbit. Also challenge requires that you have to do that with 2 MMU's.

Spoiler

Xq2h4a7.jpg

Telescope without panels

paykY5g.jpg

MMU. There shoud be 2 MMU's.

Spoiler

vNv1Mmc.jpg

Attaching second panel with MMU.

aqU4Mb8.jpg

Assembled telescope.

Edited by Stariy_Yevrey

And here we go. I decided to take on the challenge, and give it a spin. Had more fun than I anticipated! :D

Mods used:

Mk4 Spaceplane Parts

Kerbal Engineer

NavyFish Docking Port Alignment Indicator

And here's the link to the first succesfull mission (STS1a) of the "Bubbletron". :)

https://imgur.com/a/fG9Khef

And a link to the gallery of the second sucessfull mission (STS2a). We managed to deploy the three geosycrhonous sattelites! Eeeey!

https://imgur.com/a/iUDV1AQ

(And would just linking a VOD be enough? Grabbing printscreens is not my forte. :D )

Edited by blackjungle308
(Added the second mission) - (Asked a question)

9 minutes ago, blackjungle308 said:

And here we go. I decided to take on the challenge, and give it a spin. Had more fun than I anticipated! :D

Hey @blackjungle308, glad to see you around :)

Welcome down the rabbit hole aka the shuttle challenge^^

Did you just strap two shuttles together and used one of them as a booster to get around the tough balancing? :D

Well done, and congratulations to your first badge :)

nTYtbyq.jpg?1

3 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Hey @blackjungle308, glad to see you around :)

Welcome down the rabbit hole aka the shuttle challenge^^

Did you just strap two shuttles together and used one of them as a booster to get around the tough balancing? :D

Well done, and congratulations to your first badge :)

nTYtbyq.jpg?1

Well... The balancing WAS giving me a hard time, I admit that... And I had an eye out on the "recover the tank" optional later on.. .That will make things a lot easier in the future. :D the "main" shuttle has payload, rcs, and the works... The second "shuttle" just looks like th main one... But has only fuel. It's just a tank. :D After completing the 1a and 2a... I'm going for 1b and 2b today, live... And keep going at it. This is a nice time killer. :D

And thank you on the badge, sir. :D

1 minute ago, blackjungle308 said:

But has only fuel. It's just a tank.

And wings.. :D These are probably very helpful for the booster recovery mission...or just a draggy, heavy and useless piece of metal, who knows? ;)

Looking forward to see more of your shuttle :)

3 hours ago, blackjungle308 said:

And a link to the gallery of the second sucessfull mission (STS2a). We managed to deploy the three geosycrhonous sattelites! Eeeey!

https://imgur.com/a/iUDV1AQ

Second entry already :o Like I said, welcome down the rabbit hole :D

Looks like a very controlled and stable flight, well done :)

Why did you land at the dessert airfield though? Did it just happens since you ran out of fuel and coincidentally the airfield came across at the right time or did you plan to land there?

Oh, and here is your new badge :)

E6Sskam.jpg?1

STS-5 (Wilbur):

Spoiler

https://imgur.com/a/oOKbmqu

And I tried video: 

And yeah, I gave names to my shuttles. Individual names, so now I have fleet of 2 shuttles. First  one called Wilbur. And second one is Jeff.

STS-6 (Jeff):

Spoiler

And here I went IVA. Also I decided to capture the whole mission. So here is an insanely interesting 1.5 hour long video of me, staring at weird old digital alarm clocks and trying to figure out how FDAI works. Rendevouz and docking were messed up a little. Landing wasn't done at first try too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzBFDT2p6s

That was first science module.

STS-7 (Wilbur):

Spoiler

Another interesting video:

Docking was better. But not much. Landing was... khmm... Not the best landing. And not first try too.

That was second science module.

STS-8 (Jeff):

Spoiler

That was habitation module.

And since I have installed more mods:

Spoiler

VMKQYV0.png

Edited by Stariy_Yevrey

8 hours ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

STS-5 (Wilbur):

Nice, you even kept the MMUs from the previous mission to assemble the parts in space and the landing was so smooth :o
V
ery good :)

STS-6 (Jeff):

Apparently, the missions are not challenging enough if you actually decided to do the flight in IVA mode :D That's very impressive and I'm pretty sure no one else did this before in this challenge (but I know there are some other mad pilots out there so I might be wrong^^) :o
Much kudos to you!

How did you manage to keep the science module in position during the docking maneuver? Did you build some kind of a stock bearing?

So here is an insanely interesting 1.5 hour long video of me, staring at weird old digital alarm clocks and trying to figure out how FDAI works

Lucky me, I had 1.5 hours time to figure it out as well :D

STS-7 (Wilbur):

Yep, I'm still amazed, even though it's pretty much the same mission as before^^ Don't know why you have some complains about the landing, there were still a few meters left :D

9 hours ago, Stariy_Yevrey said:

STS-8 (Jeff):

You build a beautiful station there and you definitely proved some insane flying skills in the IVA missions. I really take my hat off to you :)

If you want to keep doing flights in IVA, I have a little tip for you: You can switch between seats by pressing 'V' (same key to switch camera in "regular" flight view) so if you want to check the fuel gauges in front of the right seat, it's easier to switch to the seat instead of zooming in and looking at them in an odd angle ;)

Congratulations to your very well deserved badge! :)

t3gSvqs.jpg?1

I started working on a rotating hinge for my still-unfinished STS-9 potato farmer, but I wasn't sure it was strong enough. So now I have a telescoping gas-powered piston instead. It uses some 90 degree locking ports from NF Construction, and slides along rails made from I-beams.

Spoiler

z7EVjfn.png

77xOTjc.png

This is a multi purpose arm for a space shuttle :

06sd8x.jpg

It weights 1t., is very flat when folded, and has too much hinges and stuff to bind everything.

A hinge turns the crane at 90° parallel to the shuttle, the first 3P6 cylinder deploys the assembly at medium height (its not the telescopic one, also there's a medium servo between those two), then a hinge raises the large telescopic cylinder. On the end of that arm is another hinge which provides fine movements for the final parts. A tiny servo turns the little telescopic cylinder, and at the end of all that hydraulic stuff are 2 tiny hinges angled to provides 3d adjustments for the Jr dock.

Not sure if this is very clear :p

Here it is fully deployed :

1908cd.jpg

Minimal range is approx 2m. from the main cylinder, max ranged is a long cargo bay + 1 little as you can see on the picture :)

I can share it if you guys like it, I'm sure it can be improved but this is a precise instrument as it is :)

Edited by Kerbolitto

37 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

has too much hinges and stuff to bind everything

Well, probably not the most practical thing in this case but you can define 5 different "sets" (default + set 1 - 4)of actiongroups and switch between them. So actiongroup 1 (default) can do different stuff than actiongroup 1 (set 1) :)

Sets can be enabled at the bottom of the action group window in the editor and in flight, you can switch between them via F6/F7 and/or with the new toolbar button:
sYbBDmb.png

The button also displays a small number which group is currenty active. (Too small in my opinion)

Anyway: Nice arm! :) Very compact for the size but why are the oscar tanks there?  I would love to try it if you want to share the craft file :) 

Tried to build one yesterday as well but half way through, I though I want to build something stupid instead and started building an amusement park xD 

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, probably not the most practical thing in this case but you can define 5 different "sets" (default + set 1 - 4)of actiongroups and switch between them. So actiongroup 1 (default) can do different stuff than actiongroup 1 (set 1) :)

Sets can be enabled at the bottom of the action group window in the editor and in flight, you can switch between them via F6/F7 and/or with the new toolbar button:
sYbBDmb.png

Hey I did not knew that you could use multiple sets ! I felt that only 4 binds was far too little for the things I got in mind xD But I like fine tuning the scales with the mouse so it's not too harsh.

I'm using the Oscars to avoid placing hinges over servos over cylinders .. I find this more stable and easier to offset !

I'll try to upload it on steam.

Edited by Kerbolitto

1 minute ago, Kerbolitto said:

I'm using the Oscars to avoid placing hinges over servos over cylinders .. I find this more stable and easier to offset !

I see. Haven't noticed any stability issues on my constructions so far but I'll keep it in mind and it's a neat idea to hide an offset :)

4 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

I'll try to upload it on steam.

KerbalX, dropbox or smiliar would probably be easier but I guess I can deal with the steam workshop for this one :D

7 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I see. Haven't noticed any stability issues on my constructions so far but I'll keep it in mind and it's a neat idea to hide an offset :)

Well sometimes the cylinder would deploy but because of a bad offset the part attached to it was left lagging & wobbling behind so I think that's a good compromise for better stability .. Also if you autostrut your big contraptions once deployed, this act as a dead weight which makes the assembly more rigid !

It's only the second time I use dropbox, tell me if the link is okay !

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Shuttle+brasv2.craft

Edited by Kerbolitto