Shuttle Challenge v5 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - MAJOR CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT! - 30.3.2020

9 minutes ago, Yakez said:

Would rescue of 16 Kerbals count? I have some Ideas with first commercial Hotel disaster... ;)

For Commander level, 16 is plenty. Also please remember that you're rescuing crew from a stranded shuttle and not a station (or maybe you meant a hotel shuttle?), and the stranded shuttle still has to be at 350+ km orbit at an inclination of 25-30 degrees. And as always, stick those landings!

Does that mean that I can land on runway and deviate from it or... wait... I just read it one more time and now understand that it meant about Island airfield just off the KSC... My English is not the first language and I do talk a lot of not proper English on my work, so yea I can miss some simple obvious things. Maybe you can reword that, so weird people like me would not confuse this "just off" mentioning with real just off...

Yeah, I have some reformatting and editing in mind already. But first I have to wrap things up on this thread.

20 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

For Commander level, 16 is plenty. Also please remember that you're rescuing crew from a stranded shuttle and not a station (or maybe you meant a hotel shuttle?), and the stranded shuttle still has to be at 350+ km orbit at an inclination of 25-30 degrees. And as always, stick those landings!

KSA need some dirty tourism money. I think on using mk3 passenger module, mk1 inline cockpit and mk2 lander can for airlock (19 Kerbals) as base for SMM05 starliner. And then I would have 2.5 segment of cargo space for maybe inflatable hotel module (if I would be happy with one mod). So from roleplay standpoint it would be starliner with accommodation module on board.

Most likely I want to involve my automated cargo SMM04 Lapis Livi as rescue vehicle (SMM01 + SMM02 are at Duna and SMM03 is configured for Minmus mission). So does rescue vehicle without cockpit count?

Edited by Yakez

6 hours ago, Yakez said:

KSA need some dirty tourism money. I think on using mk3 passenger module, mk1 inline cockpit and mk2 lander can for airlock (19 Kerbals) as base for SMM05 starliner. And then I would have 2.5 segment of cargo space for maybe inflatable hotel module (if I would be happy with one mod). So from roleplay standpoint it would be starliner with accommodation module on board.

Most likely I want to involve my automated cargo SMM04 Lapis Livi as rescue vehicle (SMM01 + SMM02 are at Duna and SMM03 is configured for Minmus mission). So does rescue vehicle without cockpit count?

Your stranded craft sounds good. As for the rescue craft, I'm going to rule that it at least needs a command seat that a pilot could sit in and survive reentry. Buran had a full cockpit and crew space, although its one and only mission was unmanned. While command seats might be unrealistic, they are certainly kerbalistic and we've had a few command seat-based shuttles.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:59 AM, DH8SpaceWolf said:

Hello fellow space travellers!

I built a shuttle:

And then flew it:

Welcome to the shuttle crew: I see you are a fan of the Energia-style booster. I tried that for my first few missions, but I found that rebalancing it for each new payload was a pain in the strut. Maybe you'll have better luck with it in future missions than I did. Anyway, on to the badges!

STS-1T: Everything looks good here, plus you landed the carrier plane which is always a plus. Nice work!

LOkYAUP.png?1

STS-1a: Most people complete an orbit and reenter from the west. You took more of an RTLS approach, minus the exploding engine. But hey, you did achieve orbit before turning around, so that still counts. If you do want to try for the RTLS, a few modifications are in order, but you're already most of the way there. A well-deserved Commander badge for you:

QThe6Sf.jpg?1

STS-1b: I'm not sure I've seen anyone put the fuel pod out past the Mun before. To be honest, I'm not even clear on why Mullet Dyne wants it up there in the first place. Maybe they're making more mystery goo. At any rate, excellent work on hauling the payload and placing it accurately. Here is your next badge:

giYU8fw.jpg?1

Keep up the good work, and safe flying!

I still plan on doing missions in between judging other people's missions. The full report will have to wait for the new thread after I wrap this one up, but here's a little sneak peak. I may have been having too much fun with NEBULA Decals...

zJEEoy8.png

5 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I still plan on doing missions in between judging other people's missions. The full report will have to wait for the new thread after I wrap this one up, but here's a little sneak peak. I may have been having too much fun with NEBULA Decals...

Decals is a life! Using Decalcomania myself. When we would see Huginn then?

Talking about previews:

jm9WDW8.png

Edited by Yakez

@Yakez, I have some Mun missions to review with you. Here we go!

Mun STS-1: I've seen a lot of shuttle designs, and your modular engines are certainly one of the most creative. Can't wait to see what else you come up with. Here is your new Commander badge:

4sNovfh.jpg?1

Mun STS-2-4: On the one hand. mixing the Munar base and LOP-G missions together is technically impressive. On the other hand, as I stated previously it makes everything harder to judge. In the interest of moving things along, I will issue your  Commander badge since everything seems to be in order otherwise. But to you and all candidates, please do not mix multipart missions like this in the future. Thank you in advance.

AFtQVK6.jpg?1

Mun STS-5-7: You know the drill - mission is good, presentation needs work. Here is your Commander badge.

wZo0VDe.png?1

One more for you, @Yakez, Duna STS-1: Once again you have shown creative use of parts and modules and so forth, but unfortunately you have fallen short of Commander rank. For that, you need to aerobrake or -capture at both Duna and Kerbin (you only did so at Kerbin), and you also need to deploy the orbital outpost below 70 km at Duna. Since it has its own propulsion I can overlook that, since it was able to adjust orbit on its own, but the lack of aerobraking at Duna is a no-go. Still, a Pilot badge is no small feat, and you have certainly earned that.

Klpknjl.jpg?1 

As a final note, I must ask you to please complete STS-2a according to the mission specs before posting any new missions. Thank you.

On 3/22/2020 at 5:10 AM, Kerbolitto said:

This is the report of a new STS Whynot, I went back to Duna with 2 different Shuttles to deploy a large outpost, using 2 assembly rovers :)

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187136-spaceshuttle-shorpa-sts-jool-5-most-certainly-part-3-laythe-and-kerbin-heavy-beauty-pics/&do=findComment&comment=3759618

Ah, Kerbolitto, time to see what shenanigans you have gotten into. I believe yours is the last entry for me to judge before closing this chapter of our venerable Shuttle Challenge. If I have missed anyone's, please speak up! Worse case, I'll review any such entries in the next thread once it's up and running. Now, on to the review!

...Hey waitaminute, you already have your Duna badges! Now you're just showing off. Well, this new robotically-constructed base is pretty cool.

znDElNE.jpg

And on that note, I'm going to begin setting up our new home.

Alright, the transition was faster than I expected.

So, After a long, long time, I pronounce the v5 of the Shuttle challenge finished, thank you @sturmhauke for taking the administrator seat and I wish you the best of luck with the v6, and thanks to all of you for participating - I'll be watching all of you in the v6 from time to time :)

Michal.don

4 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

One more for you, @Yakez, Duna STS-1: Once again you have shown creative use of parts and modules and so forth, but unfortunately you have fallen short of Commander rank. For that, you need to aerobrake or -capture at both Duna and Kerbin (you only did so at Kerbin), and you also need to deploy the orbital outpost below 70 km at Duna. Since it has its own propulsion I can overlook that, since it was able to adjust orbit on its own, but the lack of aerobraking at Duna is a no-go. Still, a Pilot badge is no small feat, and you have certainly earned that.

Klpknjl.jpg?1 

As a final note, I must ask you to please complete STS-2a according to the mission specs before posting any new missions. Thank you.

Hey are you alright with me posting my Minmus "saga" before. I actually have some ideas for challenge base Minmus STS-2-5. Then I just want to try finally make my SMM type 3 to fly and do mammoth STS-2a and other LKO Kerbin stuff.